Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mad Cow Disease in the U.S.

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Mad Cow Disease in the U.S. « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 12:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have received 2 phone calls recently and some e mail regarding a cover-up of Mad Cow Disease in this country. I was given a site to go to and read about it on www.drday.com. You will have to go to the subtopic and click on "Mad Cow Disease" if you would like to learn more. The author is the doctor who has received much media coverage for curing her own cancer with diet change. You'll find it very interesting, but I would also like to hear your comments. Kaye Wanke, formerly of the NoMSG hotline has told me that she has heard through the small town grapevine that some cattlemen from Colorado started a ranch in Montana where she lives. Last year, they sold everything and shipped the cattle to a plant in California, I believe. (rendering or meat plant?) She has spoken with other cattlemen in Montana, and has been told that vets who checked some of their cattle discovered signs of MCD, and were paid to keep quiet. I hope this is not true, but I am concerned, considering that the government also tells people that MSG and Aspartame are safe substances. As one person told me, "I've gotten my health back with my cleaned up diet, but what good is it, if the meat I've been depending on is going to kill me!".
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 2:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little more on mad cow disease and what they do with the leftovers can be found at http://www.madcowboy.com
It may be worth getting this book to hear more about what Howard Lyman (the madcowboy) has to say. I heard him interview lately on public radio -- quite disturbing.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 5:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can identify. I was a food process engineer who now no longer eats processed food.
Connie
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A very interesting article in the 8/01 Discover magazine on food and other uses for material derived from bovine (cow) by-products. Some were new to me, so I'll share a condensed version. No wonder so many people affected by MSG get reactions when they can't understand why:

From GELATIN (derived from collagen):

FOOD - Powdered gelatin, jellies, confectionary (jelly beans, marshmellows, fruit chews, meringues, nougats, caramels, sugarcoated almonds), desserts and dairy products (bavarian cream, mousses, piecrusts, margaines, dietetic products, yogerts, ice creams and sorbets), clarification of wines (fining agent), decorations (garnishes, foie gras), gel reinforcement for cooked meats to improve slicing (lunchmeat!), gels for the liquor exuded from hams during cooking, gels ti preserve pate), dietetic products (dietary breads, biscuits, powdered soups).

COSMETICS - protective creams, beauty masks, lotions, shampoo bases

Health-pharmaceutical - soft capsules, hard shell capsules, hemostatic sponges, biological adhesives, blood serum (!), binders in pills and suppositories

INDUSTRIAL USEs - binder for flammable substances in matches, 'crispness' in bank notes, coating for microparticles of self-copying papers, glues for paper and cardboard cartons, bookbinding glue, electrolytic surface treatment of metals

PHOTO USES - emulsion gel, dispesion gel, backing gelatin.

Collagen (derived from connective tissues and beef skins) is also in many medical products.

Gotta run now, so I'll list them in another message later.
shirley
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you!
Connie
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Discovery magazine article, cont'd:

'Where's the beef?' article also shows items derived from connective tissue and beef bones, or collagen - Of interest here, is that it's high in glutamates and a reaction may occur for those who are sensitive:

Hemostats, vasular and tissue sealants, orthopedic implants coatings, vascular implant coatings, artificial skin, bone graft substitutes, corneal shields, injectable collagen for plastic surgery and incontinence treatment, meat casings, food additives (!), artifical dura maters, dental implants, wound dressings, antiadhesion barriers, platelet analyser reagents, research reagents, antibiotic wound dressings, lacrimal plugs.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 2:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh no! More to worry about! Thanks for the info, Connie.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page