Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sulfites

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Sulfites « Previous Next »

Valerie
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 10:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have eliminated all sources of MSG and I am finding I am still having reactions even after I eat something that i know does not contain MSG. And sometimes when I eat something that has a little MSG in it I do not react at all. This make s me think I am also sensitive to something else but I cannot figre out what it is. I have read that a lot of people who are MSG sensitive are also sensitive to sulfites. What foods contain sulfites and where can I get more information about this? Are any of you sensitive to other things? I would love to know what other types of things cause problems because I have been trying to figure this out for two months and i am not having any luck. Thanks!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie--Sulfites are commonly used to preserve dried fruits, wine, grape juice, cider, and foods. They are also often sprayed on nuts (as I found out the hard way with a nasty reaction one night). For me, they're worse than MSG as far as a reaction is concerned.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 2:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sulfites are also in vinegar, alcoholic beverages, dairy products, most fruit beverages, soft drinks, pickles, sauerkraut, candy, some bottled water, seafood, lots of fresh produce, and much, much more. You might do a keyword search here or on the net for more info. My book has a chapter about sulfites, and you can learn more from Ruth Winters additives book or Beatrice Trum Hunter's additive book in the library.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page