Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Oatmeal

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Oatmeal « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 6:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had been experiencing some MSG like reactions from oatmeal. This morning I had some Trader Joe's organic oatmeal. I ground it up in my coffee mill (as I do most grains) and cooked it with a peeled pear with alot of bottled spring water in my microwave for 3 minutes. I ate it in its soupy form while drinking my Red Rose tea (which never bothers me). Within less than one hour, I had my typical MSG-like reaction (severe cramping, depression and blood pressure dropping until I passed what I think was the oatmeal).

Does anyone think that I may have cooked the oatmeal too long resulting in the release of bound glutamates? Any other insights? Thanks!
Valerie
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have also had seveal reactions to oatmeal. I could not understand what I was reacting to because I bought organic rolled oats and cooked them in just water, so there was nothing else I could have reacted to except the oats. Are oats naturally high in glutamate? Does anyone else know why they could have caused a reaction?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 8:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions about oatmeal were common for Kaye at the NoMSG hotline. I am suspicious that they are high in natural glutamate and cooking them in water means hydrolyzing what glutamate is present. Or again, this may be a food allergy.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 9:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb A.
Does anyone know if there any connection between a gluten intolerance and a sensitivity to glutamates? Oats are a form of gluten. Other glutens include wheat, oats, rye, barley and other grains. A gluten reaction may result in an asthma attack, eczema, or simple to serious digestive reactions.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 10:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris:
That's a really good question because I used to think that I was gluten intolerant. It did not seem as though a gluten-free diet alleviated the rest of my symptoms. I once went to a chiropracter with specialization in nutrition, particularly celiac disease that suggested that it was the gliaden (SP?) in the gluten and can be in other alternative grains such a teff and others. I hope I'm remembering this correctly AND certainly I don't intend this to be medical advice...only what I remember him telling me. Also, the saliva and urine tests that he used did not say that I was allergic to wheat or milk, but that I was slightly allergic to soy. So he diagnosed me with borderline celiac disease. Like I said I know this didn't entirely help my conditions until I was MSG-free. Hoping to feel better still as time passes. Sincerely, Christine P.S. I was accepted as a member for the MCS-CI-exile group. I just haven't had time to further explore my physician question yet. Thanks much for that info.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 2:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it may be related, MEMorris. Autistic children do better on a gluten-free, casein-free diet. Roy had put a link for that on this site. It has to do with digestion in the intestines and micro-organisms present. Some of the compounds formed are psychoactive.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 11:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Carol!
Here are the 2 sites Roy reported earlier for anyone who is following this topic.
http://216.200.196.85/gluten/autism.htm
http://www.autismndi.com
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl, you can find glutamate and other nutrient counts. Here's what I found re glutamate counts for 1 cup of the following:

plain oats - 5.791

plain barley - 6.000

mature cooked, boiled soybeans (I'm listing this as point of reference since soybeans are supposedly high in glutamate) - 5.545

In addition to being sensitive to glutamates, gluten &/or grains may be a problem as Christine said. If anyone has any suggestions how to pin this down (other than just eliminating gluten and grains from your diet),I'd appreciate hearing from you. Guess I am looking for an easy way out!
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 8:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cooked soybeans may be tolerable for someone who is not "allergic" to them or has a higher tolerance for glutamate than someone else. But the more that bean is processed, the more free glutamate will be created, and that is more of a problem, of course. Soybeans are treated with chemicals to soften them, and bacteria to ferment them into hundreds of other products. I know people who are MSG sensitive who can eat dry roasted soybeans with no problem, something I can't do. A bigger problem comes from recent studies that point to a chemical in soybeans that causes diminished brain capacity. As for grain, if I cook oatmeal too long (beans, too), I get a slight reaction. I also question how it is processed. Oats are pretty hard and I have wondered why oatmeal is so soft. Steel cut oats are very hard and have to be cooked for a long time. The malted barley used in flours that we react to, has been first sprouted, and this causes more free glutamaic acid to be created. If it is then roasted before dried, it contains even more. This is the extract used to flavor baked goods and crackers and cereals, and to give products a golden color and sweet flavor. I guess, the answer as to how much grain a person should consume is something each individual has to learn for himself or herself.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 12:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For 3rd Int'l Soy Symposium's "Tragedy & Hype", see: http://www.sightings.com/general9/soy.htm (Lots of negatives!)
Deb A, thanks for all the info on grains.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 5:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent Link MEMorris!
Judy T
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 8:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris: Yes, excellent. My son's wife is pregnant and this goes to them, too! Thank you.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 10:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, MeMorris! Our poor children! It's not enough that they have to eat food loaded with excitotoxins and chemicals! Now we have to worry about their normal development due to soy infant formula and other soy products. Sure explains some of the terrible times we live in with youth violence, depression, learning disabilities, and even suicide on the rise.
The report certainly validated for me what I have been told concerning the arrogance and greed of the huge food corporations and their affiliates. See what we are up against, when it comes to so-called "scientific studies" that claim a product like soy protein or MSG is safe? Shame on us if we ever bow to public opinion based on such tests or the opinion of the FDA! Please continue to spread the word, no matter what some might say. All we have is a grassroots type of effort, but it does work. We need more books, more web sites, and more media coverage. But we have a lot more of those than we did just a year ago. It's good to know that so many of you are doing what you can to help reach more people in pain. It would feel pretty lonely without your dedication.
Thanks to all of you who post here on the behalf of others! There's more we can be doing, I'm sure. It will be great to brainstorm with some of you in Reno.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 12:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting this, MEMorris, as I had read the article but neglected to post it myself.

While studies say that infants fed breast milk have a higher IQ than those fed formula,

http://www.usatoday.com/life/health/child/lhchi080.htm),

I wonder if the IQ differences would have been larger if the comparisons were strictly between mothers' milk and soy formulas alone.
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 8:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so soybeans arent so bad when fresh? Oatmeal has glutamate when one cooks it too much so the steel oatmeal would be worse?

How about if oatmeal is soaked overnight like beans?

sprouting makes more glutamate?

I became a vegetarian chef and couldnt start the job with all the reactions I was getting. I thought I was getting so many reactions cause they put so many different foods together and I wasnt use to the healthy stuff but in time nothing changed, I still react to the foods.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page