Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Restaurants

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Your E-mail Address » Restaurants « Previous Next »

Judy
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going on a trip to Las Vegas. I would like to avoid the terrible food reactions to MSG. Any suggestions on where to eat? I have read that the major buffets avoid the additive due to high volumes of sensitive people. Is this true? I am thinking about the carving stations, salad bars etc.
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy,
Personally, I can't eat at any restaurant, but depending on how sensitive to MSG you are, maybe you can stick to beef, and salads with a fresh dressing- olive oil, fresh lemon, salt, pepper, sugar (I can't eat my salad without it), garlic, basil. Chicken and fish are bad news, and beef can be too, if it is marinated. Don't let them put any beef juice on it. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you. For me, when I'm on a trip, I have had to put the emphasis on everything but food. I still have a great time.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 7:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy, try Italian - ask for plain pasta, olive oil, fresh garlic, red peppers, and maybe zucchini if they have it, or other fresh veggies chopped and mixed in. Bread can be dipped in plain olive oil or poured on a baked potato too. Order water with a lemon wedge. Tell them you are deathly allergic to many foods and must eat foods prepared plainly. If you are not sensitive to sulfites, shrimp cocktail - minus the sauce might be safe. Tell them that you are allergic to dairy too, and must avoid all cheese. A friend of mine in the same boat as us, goes straight to the kitchen door to talk directly to the chef before their food is prepared. They don't trust the waiters. I'm a little too shy for that, but it's a great idea.
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify: Judy and Judy T are TWO different people.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page