Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Benzene, benzoic acid, methylparaben,...

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Benzene, benzoic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben « Previous Next »

Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 9:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all. I just read a very disturbing article linking benzene and its kin to AIDS, CFS, American pellagra, Toxic Oil Syndrome, SMON (subacute myelo optico neuropathy), and EMS (eosinophilia myalgia syndrome). These conditions share so many symptoms it's scary.

"The central premise is that AIDS is an immune system(s) dysfunction directly and immediately caused by an external chemical toxin, not a mysterious virus. Moreover, that what is dubbed AIDS is virtually identical to several other dreadfully degenerative diseases that long predate the 1970s explosion of AIDS in the homosexual population. And additionally, that the AIDS disease appears mostly in a selective subset of anal intercourse practitioners, presumably including females. Benzene is a known carcinogen that includes leukemia—bone marrow cancer.
This petroleum derived industrial solvent is used in manufacturing nearly everything that goes onto or into your body."

"Benzene belongs to the chemical family known as aromatic hydrocarbons. * * * The effects of the hydrocarbons are similar: they accumulate in, and damage, the bone marrow causing anemia and depressed immune function. A related compound, though not a hydrocarbon, is benzoic acid, a.k.a., sodium benzoate, methylparaben, and propylparaben."

I performed a quick label-check in my bathroom, and now have to find a new hair conditioner, hairspray, and body lotion - for starters. So many things have -paraben added as a preservative.

Whether or not the author's premise re AIDS causation is true, it would appear very prudent to avoid benzene compounds at all costs. I am very tired of being treated as a guinea pig while the purveyors of toxic chemicals and our government officials smirk all the way to the bank! >:-/
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 3:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article linked below says that benzene doesn't cause HIV but harms those with it, that vitamin B-2 helps detoxify it, and that the FDA doesn't require it to be listed in the ingredients:

http://www.health-truth.com/Articles/HIV/HIV2.htm
Deb S
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 5:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy - That article also says:
"Those who are immune-compromised should avoid benzene at all costs, particularly if they are HIV positive, have any type of cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic yeast infections, any chronic viral condition, lupus, M.S., fibromyalgia or any condition that is suspected of being immune related. Several of our patients have reported arthritic symptoms which responded to nothing else were relieved by avoiding benzene."

Of course, avoiding benzene would require avoiding most processed foods, which is bound to make anyone feel better.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 11:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another reason to eat the way we know is best.....avoiding processed foods! Now how to find lotions, cosmetics, and other preparations that are safe. Short of making them yourself, it's almost impossible to find products that don't contain one of more of those chemicals.
If any of you have found some good toiletries/cosmetics, please share them with us here. I just checked my "Kiss My Face" moisturizer, and it contains both methylparaben and propylparaben. I sometimes moisturize at night with a tiny amount of olive oil. Doesn't smell as nice as lotion, but it works well. Almond and apricot kernel oil are nice, too. There are some good books with recipes for lotions that don't
seem very hard to make at home. Safe cosmetics are harder to find.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 3:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Bronners soaps. I buy them at camping goods stores. http://www.drbronner.com Good for the environment too :)
Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 6:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Benzene is a carcinogen. That means that it is a cancer causing compound. Many years ago when I worked as a research chemist, benzene was a common chemical solvent used in the laboratory. We knew that it was an active carcinogen and to that end we were required to wear gloves when working with it.
I can't believe that it is in so many things that either touch or enter our bodies. What an outrage.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 6:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More on benzene:

http://www.toxictorts.com/benzene.htm
Judy T
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 7:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still eat almost no processed foods...that means no flours, nothing from any package or can with minor exceptions (safe tuna or chicken, rice cakes, safe sesame crackers, uh, that's about it). I eat meat, eggs, some organic milk, fresh vegetables and fruits, fresh squeezed juice and not from concentrate orange juice, nuts, seeds, some berries. I do have one cup of tea three times a week,coffee two days. I can have 10 Lays potato chips four times a week. And by golly I have two Bud Light beers about 5 nights a week. For cosmetics I rotate Bonners with homemades from local ladies and vaseline for all facial and body creaming. Only on special occasions do I use any makeup anymore. I can not cover my hair with color either. However, I'm told I look terrific and I do have a better skin and hair tone than in years. You know, all I want is to feel good, which I do.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 2:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never wear makeup. I figure, God made me without it so I don't need it. I think it probably protects the delicate skin of the face if you don't have to wipe off makeup every day from your eyes and lips regardless of the chemicals in it. Also, healthy skin starts with your diet - you're right Judy. I also figure too, when I get my wrinkles, I will have proudly earned every last one :)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page