Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dizziness, Meniere's disease, ear pre...

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Dizziness, Meniere's disease, ear pressure « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 12:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I receive many phone calls, e mail and letters. Over the years, many people have shared that they experienced dizziness, balance problems, inner ear pressure, and ringing of the ears. If some of you have experienced some of these reactions as a result of MSG and aspartame, would you please post your experiences here? Thanks. Such information will be very helpful to those searching the Net for answers to similar puzzling health problems.
kevin
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 3:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,
Actually that is one point that I have wanted to ask and never had the gumption. I do have a rather annoying problem with ringing in my head. I have been sent by doctors for full hearing exams and come out clean. They have tried to say in was tinnitus but I have to disagree. It does get loader with the injestion of MSG related items and never really seems to go away but rather increases or decreases. I also have found redness in the inner part of the eyes with MSG ingestion. I would be interested if other's experiance the same symptom's (and of course headaches!)
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 5:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kevin. Thanks for sharing your reaction.
I also have a ringing in my ears, especially, the left one. Before I made the MSG connection, I would be eating at a restaurant, and I would notice a loud high pitch ringing begin out of nowhere, and then it would lessen very gradually. Then I would usually get very warm and flushed. Within a few minutes after eating my MSG loaded salad, I would begin to feel full and bloated, and rarely could finish the rest of the meal. That was eventually followed by several trips to the bathroom, and the terrible headache that I would usually wake up with in the morning or the middle of the night. I progressively got worse with other symptoms appearing over the course of a few years, but the ringing is always there now, and still alerts me by intensifying when I have eaten something that is a no-no. Since our sight and hearing centers are so close to the brain, it stands to reason that the hyper stimulation caused by excess glutamic acid would effect the regions of the brain controlling them.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. Glad you mentioned this first -- I was hesitating. I have noticed ringing in my ears for quite some time. I first started noticing this many years ago particularly after eating out so perhaps, there is a MSG connection. The ringing continues to this day although it varies greatly. I cannot yet track it to any certain foods or environmental changes. I'll continue to track in my food diary and report any findings.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 9:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me Morris, thanks for posting your similar symptoms. I remember doing some research for the sulfite chapter in our book, and learning that tinnitus is one listed reaction. Again, I believe that this ringing is symptomatic of first, MSG and other excitatory neurotransmitters like aspartame and cysteine, and secondly, by the huge amount of other chemicals in our foods, hidden or otherwise. I know that when one man, Robert Cupp, who is also mentioned in our book, eliminated MSG, his so-called Meniere's disease, which consists of inner ear and balance problems, was cured. He said he was so dizzy, he couldn't move some days. He was scheduled for surgery that would sever a nerve leading to the brain that could result in his needing to relearn certain motor skills. Even his doctor didn't believe him and insisted he still have the surgery. I know he is still doing well, since he posted on the NoMSG site last year to that effect.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 10:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Menier's web site linked here says "Avoid foods containing MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is often present in pre-packaged food products and in Chinese food. It may increase symptoms in some patients."

http://www.vestibular.org/diet.html
M-Y
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 4:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ringing in my ears is one of my alerts to any
part of MSG. If the ringing gets too bad then I
know a bad headache is next. Learning to read our bodies and how they respond is very important.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen!
ROBERT CUPP
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 5:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY RINGING IN THE LEFT EAR COMES & GOES. WHEN I DO EAT SOME FORM OF MSG THE RINGING STARTS, THE BACK OF NY NECK GETS STIFF, TOP OF MY HEAD HAS ALOT OF PRESSURE THEN THE SPINNING (DIZZINESS) STARTS. THE WHOLE TIME I HAVE RINGING STUFFINESS IN MY LEFT EAR. SOMETIMES IT IS SO BAD I CAN'T HEAR OUT OF IT. WHEN I HAVEN'T HAD ANY MSG I FEEL GREAT! I SEE A DR ONCE A YEAR FOR A CHECKUP. HE FEELS A SHUNT IN MY EAR MIGHT HELP THE RINGING, I DOUBT IT WOULD. HE STILL THINKS I HAVE MENIERE'S DISEASE. BUT HE CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY IT COMES & GOES. I EAT AT THE OLIVE GARDEN ALOT WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS UNTIL ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO IT MADE ME VERY SICK, HEADACHE, SPINNING FOR 4 DAYS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I ATE THAT MADE ME THIS SICK. I'M FINE TODAY.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 6:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an article on tinnitus treatment:

http://www.taphlan.com/tinnitus1.html
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 10:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Robert. Great to hear your comments. I'm glad you mentioned the Olive Garden, because one is being built here, and I have never eaten there before. Several others have reported doing fine with some of the dishes, but have reacted to others. Any tips would be appreciated as to specific dishes. Even though chains may offer the same dishes nationwide, they each depend on certain local fresh produce and dairy products, so what may be okay for one region may not be elsewhere. Guess my own advice will have to be applied...trust what our bodies tell us if all else fails. My ears ring all the time, actually, and will worsen when I've ingested too much glutamate. I think some of the ringing is due to cumulative damage to nerve/ear centers and it's a condition many of us can relate to.
kelly
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 1:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i almost find it unbelievable that people are describing in chilling detail the exact symptoms that i get from msg, down to the ringing in the left ear. for me the ringing in the ear only happens after ingesting msg. it's like a high pitched whistle. the symptoms that bother me most are the dizziness and balance problems. they just started about two months ago, suddenly. the only way to get relief is to eat everything steamed or salted-no restaurants, no soy sauce, nothing processed. i've been a daily coffee drinker for over 6 years with no problems. now coffee even makes me dizzy. i'm convinced that the cause of these symptoms are the result of excitotoxin damage built up over the years from habitual diet coke drinking, fast foods, and eating out instead of cooking. if however, i avoid msg for several days, all symptoms disappear as if nothing had happened. i feel fine, no stiff neck. but all it takes is one poisoned meal and it's hell all over again, for the next couple days.

i've tried acupuncture, which sedated me deeply afterwards and helped me to recover. but the treatment first stirred up the dizziness as if to draw it out. Chinese traditionl herbs also helped me feel more balanced.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ringing was the first indication of MSG that I remember from at least 25 years ago. I remember getting the ringing especially after eating out --- If only I knew what I know today. Then 5 years ago or so, I started to get severe reactions from MSG in all its hidden forms.
To be extra safe now, I have been staying away from any processed, packaged, frozen, canned foods. It is a long process and a life change -- but well worth it.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 10:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kelly & Anonymous,

My brother gets the ringing in the ear from MSG as well as Irritable Bowl Syndrome. He has started taking my advice about CoQ10 (300mg daily)and the ringing has gone away even though he doesn't avoid MSG as fanatically as I.
Kevin
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 6:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,
I finally gave up trying to explain to people or family what could be causing their problems as they look at you and just say yeah ok.The answer is right before their eyes.
Just as Deb A stated above I get the constant ringing, but sometimes also have a high pitch ring come and slowly fade away. I also have had it associated with the warm flush feeling, also a redness on the inner part of the eyes.
I too use to drink coffee with no problems but lately seem to have problems with it, causing me to be in a fog, so to speak.
With so many having similar problems I have often thought that it would be a beneficial idea for the group to have some sort of a questionnaire that when answered would group peoples symptoms along with questions that would relate to our past histories to see if there is some sort of link to what may have helped having the blood/brain barrier broken down.
I can only think that my past lifestyle history has attributed to some of it.
Some thoughts are use of legal and illegal drugs,alcohol. Namely allergy medications,diet sodas, coffee etc. etc..
I wish we all had some sort of medication that would rebuild the blood/ brain barrier.
Who ever can come up with that would be a millionaire many times over as it would cure many, many problems within all of the health care fields.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 6:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin, there have been recent postings about flavenoids and their ability to protect the blood brain barrier. Flavenoids are found in certain foods - the major one is blueberries.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 8:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems for now, Kevin, the best medicine we have is avoidance of this terrible toxin. I firmly believe, the more we do avoid it and the constant "poisonings" we each used to experience, the more our body and brain has a chance to heal itself.(barring any permanent damage) I know how many infections I used to get a year, and now it's close to nil. After all, as a friend reminded me, don't we replace every cell in our body with new ones every 7 years??? :) Let's be feeding those cells the best way we can!
And yes, Kevin, we need to post a survey on this site...something we can maybe discuss in Reno. Good idea. Thanks!
cheryl
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 8:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know ringing was an MSG reaction. My husband who is also allergic to sulfites has always had this problem. He sleeps with a fan on every night so he can go to sleep. I thought it was due to all the aspirin and pain medication he has had to take to control the headaches most of his life. He's not getting a msg now unless it's in the herbal supplements he's taking. I may do more reading about the coQ10 someone mentioned.
cheryl
Kevin
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2001 - 3:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To bad we just can't make a Flavenoid tonic, but sounds to easy.
It is also interesting in what Dab .A. says about cells replacing themselves every seven years.
Thanks folks.
Regards
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2001 - 5:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the rise in the real health threats of e coli and other food borne diseases, the government is allowing the use of more and more preservatives in much of our processed and fresh foods. I blame many not-so-obvious reactions, such as the ringing in the ear, nausea, and such on some of these chemicals that are hard to detect. Kevin, I have experienced that high pitch in one ear (left, usually) that diminishes soon...you described it so perfectly. I realize this cam be a built in system to warn me of MSG or some other additive, but it aggravates me that I have a constant ringing in my ears.
Kevin
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,
It good to speak with someone who has had a similar ringing. My doctor who tried his best to help figure this out sent me for a hearing test. I could hear everything perfectly through a wide range. They tried to say it was tinnitus, I told them I did not think so.
I did also had an other test checking for blocking of the three main arteries into the brain. When the technician put the ultrasonic probe on the back of my neck, it masked the ringing perfectly. Man it felt good and I wish I could of kept it on.
They said the test came up negative and did not understand what I meant.
It hard to explain it unless you have the ringing
Regards,
Kevin

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page