Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bladder Inflammation

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Share Your Symptoms » Bladder Inflammation « Previous Next »

June
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 3:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wrote to Deb about having been on Knox for Nails for over one year. Unfortunately, I have recently come down with what the Doctor says is Intrastitial Cystitis. (Inflamed bladder). Deb had written back and informed me of the extra high content of harmful glutamate in geletin.

What was really weird is that the Doctor has put me on Elmiron and when I visited their website they list a diet which will help. One of the first no-no's on the list is none other than MSG.
I am scared stiff that I have permanently damaged my bladder. I can't even go 20 minutes without running to a bathroom. I am otherwise in perfect health. Isn't it ironic that this would be in their very first category under additives to watch out for?? Do you see the connection?? Wish Me Luck!! June
Deb S
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The link to diet tips for patients with IC:

http://www.elmiron100.com/diet.html

Interesting that it says to avoid tomatoes, but it's okay to try homegrown tomatoes... do they know something we don't? I also note that most of the foods to avoid have MSG and/or tyramine in them.

June - I had the same problem off and on for a couple of years (after I had my first child--I thought it was related to that), which cleared up after I eliminated aspartame and MSG. The nurse practitioner who had earlier prescribed antibiotics for bladder infection, told me months later when I told her elimination of aspartame had cured my frequency problem, that she "always" advises patients that aspartame can cause bladder problems. (She didn't mention that to me, but I had since read about it on the Internet.)

If I were you, I would question the diagnosis and maybe get a second opinion. I say that because the Elmiron site says:

"Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a *chronic* inflammatory condition of the bladder lining.

The cause is not known; there may be more than one cause.

IC can be difficult to diagnose.

IC affects an estimated *450,000* people in the U.S." (*emphasis added*)

If you only recently came down with it, how can it be considered chronic? And 450,000 cases in the U.S. sounds rather rare to me. Who knows what sort of side effects (short and long term) might be caused by taking a relatively new drug designed for a chronic condition that you may not have?

Caveat: I am not a doctor; I am only a visitor to this discussion board, and am only expressing my uneducated lay opinion. My experiences with doctors have taught me that they are frequently wrong and one should do as much research as possible before accepting a diagnosis or treatment without question. -Deb S
Deb S
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 4:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The drug in Elmiron is pentosan polysulfate sodium. As Deb A. mentions often, people who are sensitive to MSG also may be sensitive to sulfites (as she is). I would be hesitant to take this medication if there is a possibility that you are sulfite-sensitive.
Deb S
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 4:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should continue reading before I post (darn short attention span). Here is the theory of how Elmiron works, and its possible side effects:

"The exact mechanism of action for Elmiron® is not certain. One theory is that the symptoms of IC are caused by a defective bladder protective mucous lining, and that Elmiron® may augment this lining. Adverse events tend to be infrequent, mild and transient; diarrhea, nausea, alopecia (reversible upon discontinuation), headache, rash, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, liver function abnormalities, and dizziness occured at a frequency of 1% to 4%."

"Mild" liver function abnormalities? Since we MSG-sensitive folks may already have a compromised liver, this shouldn't be taken lightly. Don't mean to be alarmist, I'm just worried about you. Good luck and let us know how it goes, June. :) - Deb S
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 5:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

June, you might want to ask the pharmacist what the excipients are in the drug you are taking. Many fillers and binders contain glutamate, sulfites, and even gelatin as both a stabilizer or the gel cap itself. If you are still having to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes (which I used to do for years), I would question the efficacy of the pill. Or perhaps I misunderstood, and maybe the pill takes some time to work. I agree with everything that Deb S. has said. Many of us here have been misdiagnosed numerous times, and know the detrimental effects of using drug after drug that doctors are hoping will help. Please keep us posted and trust us when we say, that if MSG and aspartame are the real causes for your condition, the best and only answer is religiously eliminating them from the diet. They are hidden in so much of what the average American eats today, so please learn all you can to avoid them. Take care and hope you feel better soon.
June
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 6:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Deb S. Thanks for all of the information. The Doctor is guessing because he has several women with blood in urine, but no infection when culture comes back. He has worked with them for years and says that some can take very little of the medicine and have success but may need it for flare-ups. He said that until very recently, women were pooh-poohed when they gave their symptoms, but it cases such as mine the blood in the urine tells them differently. He advised that even if it works, I should still have a urologist peer into the bladder to see the inflammation, or possible benign/malignant tumors. I feel just like I felt when I was late for the birth of my son. The pressure is constant. He really didn't mention msg, but I made the connection looking up the medicine.

Initially he had prescribed a sulfa combo, and I again broke out in hives/rash over my entire torso. This was within 10 mins. of taking it, and he had to switch me over to Cipro. But for two weeks I was on antibiotics and it never cleared up, probably because I had no infection.
The second prescrip was Macrobin which when I went on the web to read about personal experiences, nearly scared me to death. Talk about liver failure, husbands that died after given it the second time around, etc. I am this person who never even takes tylenol unless I am desperate. Wouldn't this be ironic if after all of this work to stay healthy for 52 years, a stupid attempt at having healthy nails would be my downfall. I guess I could live with this but am petrified that it might be worse and I don't know it. So is my husband.
I am a fruit lover and hope I don't have to give up all that they list. They only leave you with fruit and melon. But everyone is different, and I will test it on my own. Dr.'s and health stores recommend cranberry and the site states that this aggravates the bladder.
June
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 6:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Deb A: Thank you. I have only just begun the meds. today. I have not been taking the gelatin and am really learning a great deal about watching it in everything. Luckily, my preparation for food is very old-fashioned, and I use very little processed items. I have worked so very hard for years in this area and could kick myself for getting pulled into this thing with Knox products. Reading some of the stories on the site for the drug, women have had success. But and if I don't, I will not push taking it. I'm not one to want to be poked and probed as my husband has had over 28 surgeries in our 30 years of marriage. We are both very cynical of Doctors. I have the freedom to talk to my Dr. about alternative medicine. He is very open and agrees that meds. aren't cures.

Cancer is rampent in my family which changed my life back in the late 70's. I am otherwise in great health, walk 4 miles a day, do aerobics every other day, etc. I love life and hope to be able to live it. My hubby is just recovering from a hip replacement, and being his caregiver I was just starting to lift my head above the water. Hope it's not "here we go again".

In my letter to Deb I meant to say Pears and melon, not fruit and melon. Sorry!! Thanks again.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 7:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, but the web site I found about diet for patients with IC gave the same restrictions:

http://www.ichelp.com/TreatmentAndSelfHelp/ICAndDiet.html
Kathy
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 6:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To June: I am new here, and am finding this fascinating. I have had many bouts of bladder problems which I won't go into here--too long a story. But I am really interested in finding out more about frequency related to msg. I figured out my msg problem only 2 years ago, but somehow I've never made the connection to frequent urination. The more I think about it, the more I realize there IS a connection, at least for me. I have to tell you, I highly resent the suffering I've had all these years because of the betrayal of our food industry and all because of the almighty dollar.
Kathy
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 6:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To June: And, oh, yeah, the doctor's are worthless in helping you figure out the msg connection.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 2:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy,

Glutamate does seem to increase bladder pressure (and bladder contractions):

http://physiology.cup.cam.ac.uk/Proceedings/Abstracts/504P/Bristol/genauto/S01
Carol H
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 12:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Makes sense. Caffeine (a known diuretic) has the same effect on blood pressure as MSG. MSG causes blood vessels to constrict. When blood vessels constrict, the excess fluid must go somewhere. The kidneys are only too willing to oblige by sending some to the bladder.
Melissa
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2001 - 12:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow,

I used to have a bladder infection about twice a year - I have cut msg/aspartame etc out of my diet almost totally (except for the occasional accidental dose) and my husband and I just noticed the other day I haven't had a bladder infection for a long, long time - I don't think I've had one since I truly eliminated msg. When I first found out about msg I cut it out, but I still felt terrible all the time and didn't know why until I found the Excitoxin's book by Dr. Blaylock, and this website. Now that I have also cut out "hidden" msg I have been on the road to recovery. I had insomnia, severe constipation all the time, major fatigue and mood swings. I never even knew what Fibromyalgia was, but I just learned yesterday. Now I believe I had it. But notice I use the word "had". I have made a dramatic and amazing recovery. I was fortunate enough to be able to quit my job and cook food for my husband and myself the way I needed to and believe me, it has been a true and constant challenge - but well worth it. I now sleep normally, have energy, etc etc and now I realize I don't even have the bladder infections anymore.
My husband - who is also sensitive to msg - used to have severe diarrhea constantly - even as a child - his whole life, everything gave him diarrhea - since we have been truly msg free he no longer gets diarrhea. Sadly, he was a hyperactive child and dislexic and it caused him so much strife in his life growing up - Now he is quite certain many of these problems he had while growing up, especially the diarrhea and the hyperactivity/discipline problems were related to his msg consumption.

Back to the bladder infections - some other things that help are don't wash that area with soap, and drink citrus juice (freshly squeezed is best to avoid any problems with additives - or at least 100% juices) regularly, esp when you feel the frequency coming on. I realize your problem is a little different, but hopefully this info may will help, I suffered for years and it took me quite a while to figure all this out.
clarissa
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 5:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

june kathy melissa i thought that cranberries were good for bladder infection? cause theyput acid in the urine andi heard that was suppose to be good for you to acidify the urine .melissa why is it not good to wash with soap in the bladder asrea ?also what is the reason to drink citrus juice when you have frequent urinary problem ?kathy ithink that must be true about thebladder pressure and too mnuch glutamate because i have had that problem for years and cant get rid of as yet .drs dont have aclue as to what is causing the problem i agree with whoever said this is true on this site .it seems impossible to me tobe able to cut out all the glutamate foods so what can i do to eliminate the frequent urination. any ideas would be helpful .
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 10:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarissa, I am assuming that you have been checked for diabetes, since frequent urination is a symptom??? I too, had so many bladder infections before I eliminated MSG and sulfites from my diet. What a miracle it was to be infection free for years on end! True, it's hard to eliminate all glutamate, since it is naturally in 80% of fruits, vegetables and all the foods high in protein that we eat. But you CAN avoid more of it from processed foods, which contain the worst form of glutamate; that produced in factories. If you don't have my book, please consider it, and if you do, I always urge people to read it again. There is so much in there, it's easy to miss something you need to know to avoid MSG. Also, frequent urination is a major symptom of sulfite sensitivity. Please read the chapter about this terrible preservative or do a web search or a key word search here for more info. Knowledge is our best weapon. Hope you are doing better soon. :)
clarissa
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

deb a i have your book and it has been very useful.i keep reading it when i get stuck and need help. my dr checked my sugar with a gtt test and it was borderline now he took the finger prick test and blood from my arm and it was fine.i now think it is the glutamate and sulfites causing the problems.cant figure out what foods are causing the problem .its making me crazy as i am eating mainly fruits and veggies.and little processed foods. im not giving up .clarissa

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page