Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Canola Oil

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Canola Oil « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 4:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone heard about canola oil? A friend sent me information about this horrible substance. the article stated that when rats where given canola oil all their hair fell out!!!!!!!!!And that canola oil is made from the rapeseed and is used to lubricate machinery!!!!!!!Unbelievable, makes me so angry!:( There was a lot more information that I can't remember to write and be accurate, and I'm sorry I don't have the link. Maybe Roy or Tom could do some research on the substance, they are so excellent with that. I was reading on your site where someone was having a reaction to a certain food and didn't know what ingredient could have caused the reaction, canola oil was one of the ingredients, it was under "Help, I Have A Question".
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 5:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the information related to genetically engineered canola oil? Right now, that seems to be a concern in the natural foods area. The only mayonnaise I can eat with no soy in it is Spectrum canola oil. Last time I checked, I still had all my hair :)
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 7:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article linked below claims that canola oil causes glaucoma and other illnesses. While I don't know if I believe any of the warnings, maybe we're better off with olive oil, which has been in wide use for a much longer time and has lots of good health claims to its credit:

http://www.rense.com/politics5/dare.htm
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 8:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too enjoy doing Internet research. I typed in canola+oil+hazard and got quite a list. Here are a few sites of interest:

http://www.karinya.com/canola.htm

http://www.drweil.com/archiveqa/0,2283,1417,00.html

http://www.garynull.com/Documents/spectrum/be_careful_of_canola.htm

http://geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/Canola.htm

http://www.urbanmyths.com/email_canolaoil.html
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 8:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh Oh! Carol H. .....you and I are in trouble. I too use the Spectrum mayo. But my hair is still there, I just checked. Since it's the only mayo I can tolerate, guess that I'll take my chances.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 3:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S,

Thanks for the additional sites. I'd only read one of them before. I guess their concensus is to use virgin olive oil for all purposes except frying, where a little butter is best as all oils degrade at frying temperature.
Evelyn
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 9:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use olive oil for nearly everything but I use canola oil when I make popcorn and when I foods that require oil. I use butter for most frying. What do others do when they bake something that requires oil? I avoided soybean oil and corn oil for obvious reasons and figured canola was the only thing left.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Saffola and sunflower oil for baking...olive oil and butter for sauteing.
Deb S
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb - What kind of oil do you use when making your Chicken Fingers (from your book and also on your site)? We have these yummy morsels at least once a week, so I'd rather use a safer alternative.

Just FYI, when I make chicken fingers I decrease the garlic powder to 1/2 tsp. and increase the salt to 1 tsp., and I add about 1/2 tsp. of poultry seasoning and a dash of pepper. I use 2/3 C. corn flour and 1/3 C. whole wheat flour.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb S. I have used Saffola, and also, sunflower oil on the Chicken Fingers. I will try your version this week. It's so nice to try new seasonings on old standbys. Yum! We love them, too, and they are good with the Jo-Jos. Sometimes I will add quite a bit of cayenne for a bit more kick to the chicken fingers. We like them dipped in a mixture of homemade apricot jam and fresh lemon juice. Honey is good, too. Thanks for your recipe.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 3:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are many different kinds of oil. I try to rotate them. I found a really good one lately that I use for everything. It's Loriva roasted hazelnut oil. When I bake bread I use it instead of oil or butter. I even use it to cook eggs. Sesame oil is great for flavor too. There is almond oil, and many others. What is so wonderful about these oils is that most flavors are fat-soluble, so when you use a specific oil, the flavors from that food are present.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 7:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a tiny amount of sesame seed oil goes a long way to flavor Chinese dishes. I've never seen the roasted hazelnut oil, but I bet it would work great in a salad dressing. Sounds so good.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry, good news! I found a new mayonnaise. It's made in France. It's Fresh Mayonnaise. The package says Delouis fils 87230 Champsac France. Ingredients: Sunflower oil, egg yolk, mustard, white wine vinegar, salt, lemon. It's really good. It is perishable though, you have to eat it within a month. Available at Whole Foods.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 9:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow Carol, thanks for the good news on mayo. I will try to get to Whole Foods tomorrow.
Mary
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 3:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I learned this in a low fat cooking class, but it works here too--you can substitute natural applesauce for oil in baking recipes. I have done this in brownies and cakes with great results.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page