Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Does chocolate help?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Helpful Remedies or Ways to Diminish Symptoms » Does chocolate help? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 1:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone has experience this before. I was reading where dr.'s are saying that chocolate helps blood vessels relax, and msg makes blood vessels constrict. So I tried a small amount of chocolate when I was reacting to msg. It wasn't a real bad reaction, just one that had me sore and fuzzy head. With in minutes the fuzzy head feeling was gone, the soreness wasn't but I felt better just being able to think right. Has anybody had this happen to them before? I'm going to keep a little chocolate on hand so I can try this again when needed.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 5:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sugar in the chocolate could be causing a temporary rise in blood sugar, protecting against the glutamate reaction. The theobromine in the chocolate is a mental sharpener like caffeine, which is used in headache pills such as Excedrin.

Then again, there are other claims made regarding chocolate:

http://www.ifis.org/hottopics/chocolate.html
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 6:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. Roy, I hope this keeps working for these times when I can't think. I know chocolate is not good(because of msg) so I will use very little. Thanks.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 8:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that Ghiardelli chocolate (although expensive) is made with vanilla (not vanillan). My son can eat it in small quantities without a reaction.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 9:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a dark (no milk solids) organic chocolate bar by Rapunzel, in our health food store that says on the label that they only add lecithin "if needed" (it says to "call the 800 number to determine"). It's expensive, but very good, if you like strong chocolate. I can only eat a small piece, but it hits the spot now and then.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page