Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sweeteners

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Sweeteners « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently discovered a new sweetener called SPLENDA. The ingredients are: Maltodextrin and Sucralose. Is this safe for MSG sufferers?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 12:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maltodextrin is a highly processed sugar made from corn, which is high in free glutamate. I'd avoid it if I were you. Have you tried stevia? I use in in conjunction with sugar sometimes in my baking. But avoid the stevia products that are not pure stevia.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 1:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb for your answer on Splenda. Another question. I have suffered for years from water retention and have stayed away from salt. Liquid smoke was recommended to use. It is water and natural hickory smoke concentrate. Is this safe to use? It does add a nice hickory flavor. My son is an MSG sufferer and I cook for him occasionally.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquid smoke usually has MSG added. If you list all the ingredients, I can be more helpful.
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So corn has msg?
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 11:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley, Corn itself does not, but it is used in many processed items, not just food. Probably best to take one full day and go over the many discussions on this board, start a notebook, and then go back to those special areas of your concern. Good luck. This is a steep learning curve and there is no easy way!
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok I am saving some on my computer and now I am writing it down.

How about frozen corn?
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 6:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley, years ago, B vitamins were found to be important because after WWII Europe was sent food from the US to feed bomb ravaged cities. Unfortunately we sent corn. Many people became ill from the disease pellagra. Corn is deficient in one of the essential amino acids and can cause deficiencies in niacin, which causes the disease pellagra. Pellagra has many of the same symptoms that MSG sufferers complain of. Enzyme CoQ10 helps MSG sufferers, and corn seems to bother them, indicating that MSG may cause trouble with the glucose to energy pathway. The answer to your question is, be careful. If corn bothers you, it may not even matter how it is cooked. You may need to avoid even frozen corn. A reaction may be due either to residual glutamate from processing, or it could be just corn's natural interference in the glucose - energy pathway due to what it normally has in it, or lacks. Judy T is right, it's a steep learning curve.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 8:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!
Marcia
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 4:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone tried the new DietRite with no aspartame? Did anyone have a reaction? Is this a good alternative for diet soda drinkers?
Marcia
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got to the store & looked at the DietRite ingredients after someone called me to asked about the NO Aspartame label on the bottle. Forget that...it has natural flavors. My caller didn't read me that ingredient. I wonder why?
shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is seltzer or club soda ok?
Laurie M
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 8:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most club soda has sulfur dioxide added. If you have a problem with sulfites it isn't a good idea.
Shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 9:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, I like to know what is in it anyways. I dont really have much reaction to sulfites and also dont have it much.

Does all sodas have sulfur dioxide?
Marcia
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 12:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,
What brand of stevia is pure. Everything I have found has maltodextrin?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 11:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a liquid and a powder from Wisdom of the Ancients company...found it at a health food store. It has no filler in the powder.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 6:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And you can probably buy your own Stevia plants from a mail order herb company at the web and harvest the leaves which are incredibly sweet. I accidentally forgot to water mine and never got to experiment further! Next year maybe!
Hoteru
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 3:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
Like Deb A., I have used Wisdom of the Ancients
in liquid form and it has never bothered me.
Also on the board in the past, several people said they seem to be more sensitive to odors. That started me thinking and I am definitely more sensitive to perfumes etc. than I was two years ago. I am in a office building all day and have
repeatedly made formal written health complaints because the janitor puts four and five deodorants, though I call them stinkerants myself, in the bathroom at one time. I keep throwing them out. They contribute nothing to sanitation and contribute everything to headaches and foul temper to me. They have also poured massive amounts of bleach and ammonia in there at various times, so much that the door has to be propped open for several hours while it dissipates, but into a closed air recirculating system. It's a wonder we haven't find the janitor dead on the floor in there yet. As I get more sensitive it's like someone turned the lights on stronger and the smells are cranked up and everything is louder now. I am used to this happening during migraines but it seems to be all the time. Anybody else experiencing this?
I have became sensitive to my very good vitamin and mineral pills, although I've been using them for two or three years. Now I am
getting headaches, not the worst I've ever had but enough drop these vitamins. And I bought all I could when my favorite store went out of business because the brand is hard to get. Any very sensitive people have some good suggestions? I know several people have gone off general vitamin and mineral pills but I'd like to see what might be available. My old brand guaranteed no this, no that, no other and there is nothing in the ingrediants that I can pick out as being a troublemaker.
Lastly, in these times I count my blessings more frequently and each and every one of you is
dear to me. Thank you for just being there, understanding, and sharing all the information that has made my life so much better.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 6:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoteru,

Your description "like someone turned the lights on stronger and the smells are cranked up and everything is louder" perfectly describes my experience upon regaining consciousness in (brought to by ice being poured down my back), and being helped out of a restaurant after blacking out from MSG. Thank you.

I've never had a migraine headache, but the description of sensory overload, with everything bombarding and crashing in on you, was exactly my reaction.

Below is a link about migraines:

http://www.galaxyofhealth.com/migrainethree.html
Gerry Bush
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 10:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay friends...it's now time or me to share with you what I have been up to for the last 3 months. Hoteru, your above mail struck a central nerve for me. When the conventional doctors literally threw up their arms and told me there was NOTHING that they could do for me because I was sickened by every drug they tried to help with my high blood pressure, I sought another medical avenue.
Now I am seeing a Naturopathic MD. AZ is one of 13 states in the USA, where Naturopaths are board licensed, certified and schooled for at least 8 years. And I am being helped.
First, they theorize that msg, excitotoxins and chemical exposure or ingestion causes the human cells to swell. Among other things, this causes the blood vessels and arteries to swell, restricting blood flow and thereby causing blood pressure to rise.
My Natuopath has documented this in my case.

To specifically address your problem, Hoteru, here is the explanation of what is happening to you and the rest of us. The more we are exposed to these harmful substances, the less able our bodies are to resist them, so they injure us. Yes, the Naturopath calls these bodily assaults by chemicals, msg, excitotoxins, etc, injuries! Finally a doctor believes and actually understands what is happening to us. The analogy she has given me makes sense: Our bodies are like a barrel that is full. We can no longer accept these assaults. We just don't have enough antibodies to fight the assaults anymore....so the barrel (our bodies) overflow (react).
To better able me to handle these assaults, even in a limited manner, I have been on a detoxification program for the last 2 weeks, with 1 more week to go. This program involves mixing a powder in water or organic juice and drinking it before meals. The powder is called "MEDI-CLEAR" by Thorne laboratories. It is a vast array of vitamins, minerals, herbs and such. I was so scared to try it in the beginning because I really cannot tolerate much of anything anymore. But to my surprise, I had no negative reation to it at all.
I feel better and my skin is much softer. Now I also had to eliminate all sources of possible injury....no meats or fish, no dairy. Only fruits and vegetables and these must be organic. No wheat or gluten containing foods either.
I will let you all know if at the end of next week there is "room in my barrel" as I will begin to reintroduce the banned foods slowly back into my diet.
By the way, she also uses accupuncture for my "che" (energy level). Not sure if it is having an effect, but what have I to lose.
I'll be interested to hear of your thoughts on this perspective of our problem.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 3:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry,

Here's a quote from Thorne's web site:

Q: What are your capsules made of?

A: Our capsules are made of pure gelatin. Gelatin used in the manufacture of capsules is obtained from collagenous animal material by a process known as hydrolysis.

http://www.thorne.com/faq.html
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 4:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry,

Glad you are taking the safer powder form. Here is a link detailing "Qi". Just let us know if it works:

http://acupuncture.com/Acup/Qi.htm
DJ
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 5:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

Hoteru, your above problems that you have experienced have happened to me as well. When there is an overload of any form of MSG in my system...I get the light sensitivities, sound..and smell as well. Before I realized the MSG connection, ANY kind of lights, including sunlight would be imbedded on my brain for minutes, before going away. It is so difficult to eat anymore.....it is soon winter, and I am beginning to react to everything. So, if I do not post often, it is because I am trying very hard to stabilize, to be able to get to work each day, and take care of myself and my child in these troubled times.

It is difficult to offer advice as well, when one continues to feel "so rotten". All I can do is to say you are not alone, there are SO many of us who share your symptoms. My own daughter is suffering....yet refuses to give up her eating habits. It is difficult to watch that as well.

I have been praying alot, sometimes at the moment....its all you can do.

DJ
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it very interesting how we each react differently -- while some of you react as I do with digestive problems, there are others who have body pain or migraines or heart problems and so on. Anyway, in addition to making my diet "pure", I am still trying to reduce my toxic exposures and I am feeling much better. But I do not want to kid myself --- Feeling better doesn't mean that I can go back to my previous life style. It requires a certain amount of fortitude because I am headed in a direction I did not expect in mid-life --- one that is alien to many of my current friends and acquaintances.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoteru - I had similar experiences in my office building.
Folks - Grace Ziem's Environmental Control Plan for the Chemically Sensitive can be found at:
http://www.mcsrr.org/resources/articles/S3.html
Well worth reading.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 6:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, too, visited a naturopath, while on a trip to England. I've been back two months now and I am pretty sure that giving up sugar, yeast, and wheat, besides everything else I had already eliminated from my diet, has really helped me with my migraines. They are much less frequent and I am taking lots of tastes of things with no headaches. (I would never eat MSG or sulfites, but the small amount contained in the cookies and candy I am tasting, my big weakness, is not bothering me.) It took me a while to find a naturopath M.D. here in Houston, and though I have an appointment for next week, I think I will cancel it for now, as I am feeling so much better with just the advice from the person in England. I posted a couple of websites for doctors yesterday for anyone who might need a referral by state. They are: American Academy of Environmental Medicine, and American College Advancement of Medicine (ACAM). The naturopath M.D. I found was on one of these lists, and came highly recommended by a friend plus by the last doctor I tried, one from ACAM, who said he couldn't help me but referred me to the naturopath, who he absolutely raved about. There really are some doctors who know that there is a connection between what we eat and the state of our health. I'm so happy, Gerry, to hear that you have been helped. It's been a miracle for me!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page