Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Time article about health

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Time article about health « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 3:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The latest issue of Time magazine has a cover story about undoing damage to the body caused by not eating right. In the article it mentions the drastic increase in obesity and Type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, nowhere does it mention that MSG found in most of the "bad" foods they discuss raises insulin levels and causes obesity. They do mention that eating more vegetables and fruits, and wholesome type foods can bring insulin levels to normal in a few weeks. However, they fail to observe that it may NOT be what these new healthy people are eating now, but the fact that foods containing obesity-causing, insulin-raising MSG have been nudged from their diet by the new wholesome stuff. You can send letters to help correct these oversights to letters@time.com
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 6:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you scroll down this web site, you will see reference made to the effects of monosodium glutamate on the pancreas and it "setting off" diabetes (I will forward it to them):

http://biorganic.ifrance.com/biorganic/glutamategb.htm
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 7:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note: the article above also correlates "a higher concentration of glutamate (excitor) and a lower concentration of taurine (a derivative of another amino acid, cysteine, a brain inhibitor)".

This would support the idea of taking taurine supplements to prevent glutamate damage.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 9:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What exactly is L-cysteine? It is in so many baked goods these days. Not the ones that I eat, but as I always read it on the ingredients list.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 4:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry,

per the link below,

"A growing list of excitotoxins is being discovered, including several that are found naturally. For example, L- cysteine is a very powerful excitotoxin. Recently, it has been added to certain bread dough and is sold in health food stores as a supplement."

http://www.aspartame.com/blayart1.htm
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,

You've hit upon a gold mine of updated Excitotoxin information here from Dr. Blaylock. I'm only halfway through the article and it is as though he has been reading our forum and is quoting experimentation extolling the validation of all the assumptions we have been making in regard to our reactions and supplement experimentations. If you have read Blaylock's book, this addendum updates his previous philosophies. Good reading.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 9:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tom.

Carol,

In my forwarding of the web site on MSG and diabetes, I quoted your post, but not your name, and received this standard response:

"Dear Reader:

Thank you for writing. We welcome timely, insightful reactions to material
we have published, and we can assure you that your observations found an
attentive audience among the editors. Should your comments be selected for
the column, you will be notified in advance of publication. Again, our
thanks for letting us hear from you. We hope that you will write again
should you discover something of particular interest in the news or in our
reporting of it.

Best wishes.

TIME Letters"
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 12:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is great, everyone. Lets all e mail Time and tell them about the MSG/obesity/diabetes connection. I think there's a quote somewhere on our site from a Dr.Ian Murphy, a retired physician who says he saw no type 2 diabetes in young people when he started his practice in the 60's, but that is was commonplace when he retired in the 90's. He went on to blame MSG as tests have revealed what it does to the pituitary gland and other areas of the brain that are related to the disorder. I think it's under "newsworthy events" on the menu on our homepage. He was quoted in last September's Science News". You can quote it in any of your e mail. This is the best tool we have to get the word out. You never know who will take note.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 2:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,

That quote from the retired physician is included in Blaylock's addendum at the above sight that Roy recommended.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 3:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great. It's in my book, too. Someone was good enough to send me a copy of the Scientific News last fall, so I added it, feeling it was great to have an MD's input. Thanks, Tom.
Judy T
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol: Wrote my letter to Time asking, in essence, for a full report/article on wholesome food and what additives like msg do to them.... Also tried to do some educating about msg. Got a formletter reply right back. Something like, "thank you, we appreciate, we noted... " seems like butterfly wings on that granite boulder but we'll get there.
Donna Sawyer
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 3:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same thing happened to me. I sent Time a letter asking them to further research the effects MSG has on people (obesity, diabetes, migraines, etc.)I received the same form letter back. Well, at least one person is sending back form letters. Maybe that person will get the idea and spread the word. We can only hope.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 9:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a (non-health related) magazine editor, I can tell you that the more information you send--in as factual words as possible--the more likely you are to get an editor to take notice. I would suggest avoiding language that would be considered extreme or inflammatory and sticking as closely to the facts as possible. Spreading the word is a good thing and can be effective if you can get just one editor to see the light.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you VERY much, Evelyn. This is wonderful advice. Professional, intelligent, and factual reporting of the facts will be have a much better effect than emotional venting. Friends, please keep doing what you are doing, and take any opportunity to report to editors when articles relating to MSG arises. If we do this, something will get published, eventually. I can't stress the importance of doing this enough. So don't get discouraged because nothing seems to be happening. It will, the more we do it!
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 9:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"factual reporting of the facts"???... better work on my writing skills! :----)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page