Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A story to share

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » A story to share « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Starfish

As a man walked a desolate beach one cold, gray morning he began to see another figure, far in the distance. Slowly the two approached each other, and he could make out a local native who kept leaning down, picking something up and throwing it out into the water. Time and again he hurled things into the ocean.

As the distance between them continued to narrow, the man could see that the native was picking up starfish that had been washed upon the beach and, one at a time, was throwing them back into the water.

Puzzled, the man approached the native and asked what he was doing. "I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all of these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they'll die up here from lack of oxygen."

"But there must be thousands of starfish on this beach," the man replied. "You can't possibly get to all of them. There are just too many. And this same thing is probably happening on hundreds of beaches all up and down this coast. Can't you see that you can't possibly make a difference?"

The local native smiled, bent down and picked up another starfish, and as he threw it back into the sea he replied, "Made a difference to that one!"

Each of us is but one person: limited, burdened with our own cares and responsibilities. We may feel there is so much to be done, and we have so little to give. We're usually short of everything, especially time and money. When we leave this shore, there will still be millions of starfish stranded on the beach. Maybe we can't change the whole world, but there isn't one of us who can't help change one person's whole world. One at a time. We can make a difference. "

Thanks to all of you who are making a difference.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 3:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the story. It kind of reminds me of something my son did the other day. My husband and son were in a local discount store. My son, 5, went up to someone who works at the store and said, "Come with me." He took her to the aisle where all of the snack foods are shelved and said, "You should really stop selling these. They're full of MSG."
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 3:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today, I gave out a card I made with the names of this site, and the truthinlabeling site to a coworker whose family member suffers from crushing migraines. I was glad I had some of those cards in my wallet today. You can make cards using Microsoft Word and business card stock from Staples. I print them out on my home printer. It's easier to spread the word this way.

Each card simply says:

The truth about MSG:

www.msgmyth.com
www.truthinlabeling.org
www.basicfare.com
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 4:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son also does not hesitate to tell people that there is MSG in the food they sell. He gestures as to how big a headache his mom would get from eating the stuff. My daughter tells her friends and their parents that yes, there is glutamate in everything! Not the "S," just the "G," without the sodium. My sister half-way across the country tells people about glutamate poisoning because of its effect on me, and because I am doing so well when I avoid it. Word is getting out, whether people want to hear it or not. YEA!
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reading your positive comments and the difference you are making in your own families and communities sure brought a huge smile to my face! Made my day! Great idea about the cards, Carol. I'm going to do that. We all need a boost now and then to give us some hope that we are getting somewhere in this uphill battle. Evelyn, when you told us about your son, it made me think of a long bus trip I made with my 6 year old son, (the one that is a chiropractor now) twenty years ago. He is MSG sensitive and highly reactive to cigarette smoke. Smokers were allowed to smoke at that time, but way in the back. We were near the front, but someone was blatantly smoking in a nearby seat. When we stopped at a rest place, my son walked up to the driver and complained. The driver smiled, said nothing, and proceeded to light up a cigarette and exhaled close to his face. My son got a reality lesson that day. Sometimes when we try to tell others about MSG, it's like they are blowing smoke in our faces. It gets very discouraging. But I have learned that someone is going to listen, even when you least expect it. It may be someone who overhears your conversation that makes the connection. Wasn't it one of you here who told us about that happening at a pharmacist's counter? It made all the difference for someone, and then that someone probably went on to effect others. So keep doing what you are doing, and don't be afraid of rejection. The smart and desperate ones do listen!
Connie
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 8:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one's just for fun (an email joke that was sent to me):

A dietitian was once addressing a large audience in Chicago. "The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago.

"Red meat is awful. Soft drinks erode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. Vegetables can be disastrous, and none of us realizes the long-term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water.

"But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and we all have, or will, eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that
causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?"

A 75-year-old man in the front row stood up and said, "Wedding cake."
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 2:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Connie. :---)

And thanks for filling us in on the allergy treatment. Are you having acupuncture?
M-Y
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 2:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other night on a new TV program "Kate Brasher" they were reading labels on food to be distibuted to the needy. Mariette Hartley read ingredients and was upset with "Aspartame". She refered to it as a Nerve Poison. I wonder how many people caught that remark. I was pleased to hear this stated on the program. Many people are in the know about this poison and perhaps the word will slowly get out.
Deb S
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 7:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes! That's the kind of thing that will get people thinking, and asking others if they've heard anything bad about aspartame. Very encouraging. Surprising that the network's advertisers didn't catch that. Wonder if it'll still be in when they rerun that episode?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 7:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have sent information to "people in Hollywood" who have asked for help, but who wish to remain anonymous. They are also spreading the word. People are feeling lousy after eating a meal and are staring to know why. MSG and Aspartame are becoming buzz words now more than ever before....everywhere! Let's hope writers keep sneaking the truth into dialogues. If we could just get a celebrity to take on this cause! Perhaps that will happen some day. I'm working on it from this end. Please take the time to write to people like Oprah, magazine health editors, anyone you think might listen. We can make more of a dent, if we keep bugging people!
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two Sunday's ago in the The New York Times Sunday magazine section on the inside back cover, there was a comic displayed. It was about what goes on in a young women's head. (It was quite funny!) The article included a large picture of a young woman’s brain and in the middle of the brain, there was an empty space that said something like "Dead Brain Cells from Aspartame".
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 9:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops! Found it. I was wrong. It was in the special New York Times magazine section, "Fashions of the Times" and the comic was entitled, "Inside Patty's Brain". The middle of her brain was a big empty space labelled, "Nutrasweet Memorial of Dead Brain Cells".
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 12:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed in the March 13th Woman's Day magazine that they included MSG in their list of causes of Migraine headaches on page 38. Guys, we have and opportunity to write to the health editor, and say "thank you" for the article, taking a brief moment to share your MSG experience.
PLEASE take a minute to do it. It will mean a lot if several letters or e mail come from different parts of the country. You can mention our site as a source, or NoMSG or Truth In Labeling.
They can be reached for comments or editorials at: Reader Mail, Woman's Day Magazine
1633 Broadway
New York, NY 10019
or
womansday@hfmmag.com
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 1:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know MeMorris, we need to get some paid ad in the New York Times or a few targeted newspapers, about MSG. I suggested this to NoMSG some time ago, but didn't get much response. Sort of like a public announcement. But I'm not sure how we could go about it. Something like:
For real answers to your stomach distress, anxiety/depression, headaches, ADD, and racing heart, go to:
www.msgmyth.com
www.truthinlabeling.org
www.nomsg.com
and Carol's
It would take some research and money. Anyone want to look into costs in major city newspapers for an idea of expenses? Time-wise, I'm maxed out for the next 2 weeks, or I'd start looking today. Any volunteers? E mail me if you want to help. A cartoon would be an eye catcher,too, and your posting is what made me think of this possibility again. I know a cartoonist who might be able to help, if I can reach him. A small cartoon to the side of the words of the ad or announcement might be a draw. Your ideas about this are wanted.
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just sent my email to Woman's Day Magazine. Sure was quick and easy. Hope lots of you join me.
DJ
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 3:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent mine, too! Told them about MSG elimination and how it bought my blood pressure down from 160 over 100, to 135 over 78......

DJ
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 4:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth and DJ, I could hug you! Thanks. I can't think of a better way to use this forum......to keep us alerted of media coverage of MSG, and them blitzing them as a group. Hope we can keep doing this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page