Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Safe Name Brands

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Safe Name Brands « Previous Next »

Valerie
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 12:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am getting frustrated because I am beginning to eat the same foods day after day because I do not know of other foods that are safe. I want to know what are your "staple foods" and some name brands of things you know are safe. Some of the things I eat are:
Valley fresh canned chicken
365 canned albacore tuna
Erikson's choice canned salmon
Brown Cow organic whole milk yogurt (plain)
Raw walnuts, almonds, pistachios (unsalted) from the bulk food section of my health food store.
Greenbrier organic, range free eggs (i love making veggie omlettes)
Whole foods fat free pasta sauce/salsa are safe for me
Mestemacher Whole Rye bread with muesli (great topped with yogurt or almond butter)
Bearitos fat free refried beans
Kavli rye wafers
Muir Glen tomato puree (I love mixing spinach, wild rice, and canned chicken with some tomato puree and italian spices - oregano, basil, and garlic)

Any recommendations would be great. I always feel extremely limited to what I can eat so it's always exciting to find new foods that don't give me a reaction.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie,

I eat Contessa brand frozen cooked shrimp, Barilla pasta, Trader Joes whole milk, Trader Joes yellow fin canned tuna in olive oil, Country choice certified organic multigrain hot cereal, Mozzarella di bufala imported Mozzarella from Italy, organic lemons - I put lemon juice on everything, Earthbound Farms organic romaine hearts, Whole foods organic tortillas, Greenbrier eggs, Jaindl turkeys (whole foods gets theirs from here), Whole Foods fresh breakfast sausage, Trader Joes super sweet organic corn, canned black olives, Spice Hunter organic spices, fresh basil. I'll think of more.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie--Kashi cereal, oatmeal.
Judy T
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie: Quinoa, rye, barley, cashew and almond nut butter, rice cakes, some raisins in moderation, all fresh vegetables (except corn) and fruits in moderation, eggs, all organic and field meats and fishes, limited organic whole milk, and some of those things you mention are on my plate. I can not eat wheat, corn, soy, yeast, sugar and most dairy, however, I am really careful to rotate foods so I won't become allergic to more items. I drink, green tea (careful of brands), spring water and once a week: one glass of not from concentrate orange juice, one glass of milk, and coffee one day a week. On top of that I HATE to cook. When I go to restaurants I eat poached egg on oatmeal (not instant), for lunch a hamburger patty and slice of tomato with water or my one glass of milk for the week (not the full 8oz), for dinner a beef steak, steamed veggie and baked potato with water. I eat the Contessa shrimp once every two weeks like Carol mentions, canned chicken or tuna once a week, fresh field trout once a week...anyway, there seems to be a lot of variety when you start looking at the variety of veggies; squashes, artichokes, salads, etc. For fruits I do eat bananas about every other day, an orange once a week, apples about every third day, grapes (careful) about once a week...there seems to be a lot of variety there, too. I miss breads, pastas, vinegars, sausages, and all pastries and goodies but, gosh, it's good to be here anyway, feeling so darn good. I had some peanuts today and think I'm gonna pay. Darn.
Judy T
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 3:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie: And there's rice and rice milk...how could I forget?
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 8:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T. Are you able to eat egg noddle Pasta?
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon: You know I haven't tried. For 10 months I was on a pure 'caveman' diet...that is, basically nothing in anyway processed. For the last month I have begun to experiment a bit...like I added some McCormick's chili flavor to some elk/hamburger meat mix and I did fine. I tried rice noodles and did fine so I bet I can do egg noodle pasta. Thank you for the suggestion. I did some peanuts yesterday and did so-so ok, so I won't try them for a while again. I do have luck with a few Ruffles or Lays potato chips a few days a week. I tried Breyers vanilla and had a bad, bad reaction. I actually had one slice of bread one morning this month and did not do too badly. Whatever is happening, I seem either to be 'clean' and therefore able to handle a little bit or a minimum of vitamins and a 100 mg dose of CoQ10 may be helping. Who knows? This is a crap shoot I believe (a Nevada girl talking). I am continuing medical tests for Celiac spru and other possibilities for some of the problems. Since everything came on rather quickly (or should I say symptoms showed up after probably years and years of buildup), it is hard to find the source, the cause of all problems. Like Carol H has said, there is sometimes the possibility that underlying causes are not dealt with while the symptoms are relieved through a new lifestyle that eliminates the poison we've been ingesting (hope I didn't put words in your mouth, Carol, but something you said about an aunt's words stuck with me in this form). I truly am concerned, anyway, that there is some cause to many of my dilemmas that needs to be unmasked for that unlucky day when I have either an accident/ surgery or dementia and can not advocate for myself and the special way I find I need to deal with this body. Does anyone else out there have that fear? that angst? I figure somewhere in this life, control will be given to others and I sure hope they don't poison me quickly while trying to help me.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 4:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T,

I know how you feel. I'm starting on a rotation diet myself. Like Gerry, I am so sensitive to a lot of different things, and so allergic to foods I used to eat a lot of. It's strange but it seems that it got much worse this year, after my pituitary tumor was diagnosed. I wonder if the effects of MSG on the hypothalamus and pituitary affect the immune system to cause extreme allergy troubles like we have. I feel like I'm starting to paint myself into a food corner, though. I'm so afraid that the few foods I can still eat won't be safe for long. My allergist just added chicken, peppers, artichokes and white beans to the growing list of foods I'm allergic to :(
M-Y
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 8:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,
In our area, at Walgreens, the Almay lipsticks are now on sale. I've purchased several, in the silver cases, but the new spring line (in a frosty plastic tube) has a different formula. Evidently they have a new and approved formula and we all know what that means. Your right.....I wonder how we will learn to make our own lipsticks. I also found a lip protector at Walmart called Lip Naturals and they are ok for me. Some health food stores also handle them.
DJ
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 2:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morning everyone,

Can someone tell me what to substitute for coffee or tea for a hot drink in the mornings? I have given up both of the above and switched to Rice Dream original with a little cocoa. But, the past few days I have reacted. So, I am back to square one...I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

DJ
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I drink tea made with freshly sliced organic ginger root and bottled spring water.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 2:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think you reacted to the rice milk or the cocoa?What reaction did you experience. If it was a headache, it may have been due to the cocoa. (tyramine)
I have gotten used to water, but in the morning, eating a juicy grapefruit starts me off well instead of hot drinks, which I rarely bother with anymore. I do like organic peppermint tea plain or with a little sugar and organic whole milk. If you think the rice milk is bothering you, you can try making cocoa with mostly water and creaming it with some organic whole milk.
DJ
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 7:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb A.

I don't know if I reacted to the rice milk or cocoa. I got a slight flush, and the dull headache in the back of my neck.

I have heard alot on here about Tyramine. Why do MSG sensitivity people react to it, and what foods is it found in. (not another list!!)
Thanks for your help, the grapefruit idea sounds good...

DJ
Laurie M
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 8:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hot water with lemon and honey makes a diluted but yummy lemony drink. I really like this when I have a cold
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 10:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laurie, that's one of my favorites, too. Last night I partially defrosted some watermelon and strawberries, and blended them with water, sugar and lemon juice. It tasted like summer. I freeze leftover fruit all the time for drinks later. DJ, tyramine is found in chocolate, bananas, and I'm afraid I can't remember what else. You might try a keyword search, or someone here may have more foods to list.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 4:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ and Deb A, I included a list of tyramine containing foods on my site http://www.basicfare.com/tyramine.htm The site is still under construction while I'm studying for my state engineer license exam in April, but the rest of the site should be done by summer.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 9:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great, Carol. Thanks for the link and info. Good luck with your exam!
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This past October I had major surgery. I was in
the hospital for ten days. The dietician came in
and asked why I was not eating. I told her I
could only eat fresh fruit and veggies. I could not eat anything with MSG or packaged foods. I asked for a baked potato which I usually can get away with. She said she didn't have them, but I
could have mashed potatoes. She assured me that
all of the hospital food was fresh. So I asked
her if the mashed potatoes could be served with
the skin. Than she said they came from a box.
So I told her, that means all of your food is
not fresh. She got annoyed and just ran out of
the room. I did not have any reactions, but I
did lose thirty pounds while in the hospital. My
daughter had to bring me oatmeal from home so I
could have something to eat.

Your site is great!
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I admire your tenacity. One of my greatest fears is that I will end up in the hospital in the same situation as you. However, I have reactive hypoglycemia. Did you have problems such as that?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, you should be awarded a medal. I will follow your example if and when I am hospitalized.
Perhaps we should consult with our doctor if a hospital stay is required, and have him help make food arrangements with the staff, if they actually can offer foods that we can eat, in advance. Or maybe he could okay foods from home with the hospital. It is a tough situation to be in and it should motivate us to get the word about excitotoxins out to the public even more.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 3:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last year, I had my boyfriend smuggle in rice milk and fresh fruit for me. Those hospital food service people kept giving me apples and lactaid milk, as well as other foods which would've given me bad allergic reactions. It said right on my food slip that I was allergic, too. Underpaid, and unskilled people fill the trays for you. The dietician apologized, but it kept happening. I couldn't wait to get home.
clarissa
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 5:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i too am getting frustrated eating much of the same foods also cause im not sure of the foods that are safe any other ideas what i can eat .this is what i eat asparagus meat loaf water white noodles brownrice whats good to put on the rice besides salt and pepper cant have dairy i also eatsteak eggs too many of them rye crackers akmak crackers cant find any other safe ones p-butter kashi cereal oatmeal tomatoes thats about it help im going to whole foods market in next couple of days need some suggestions alot of them plesae cause i have to go along distnce to get to the store .thanks i appreciate any input clarissa
D M T
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 9:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question about peanut butter. Why would I react to unsalted fresh ground peanut butter (I flipped the switch on the grinder myself!) as if it had MSG? I didn't eat anything else suspicious that day.

I've discovered I have problems with cheeses that are made with "enzymes." I buy Mexican style cheeses that just say "Cultured pasteurized cow milk, salt" and I'm fine. What the heck is in the "enzymes" ?

Is Pace picante sauce safe?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 5:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D M T,

Pace picante sauce ingredients seem safe. Of course, Pace is made by Campbell's, who is known for heavy use of MSG in its products. When they list tomato paste as one of their ingredients, I wonder if there is anything in the paste besides tomatoes. This is one of those cases in which you may have to try it to know for sure:

http://www.pacefoods.com/pace_pantry/nut_picante.html
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 10:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D M T,

You may have flipped the switch on the grinder, but you may not have filled it. Although they may have added no pure salt, you can't be completely sure that the peanuts in the grinder were totally unseasoned. If you buy prepackaged peanut butter with the oil floating on top, you have the ingredients label to go by. The store may have put no such label on the machine.

Although I have never had a reaction to store ground peanut butter, your reaction makes me suspect that someone may have added some form of MSG along the line to improve the flavor if the nuts were less than fresh.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 2:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That may be true, Roy. another possibility is that the peanuts were treated with sulfites, as many of them are. When I get sulfites by mistake, I suffer stomach distress, diahrea, belching, and headache. They do not need to be labeled if the amount is small. But many of us here are sulfite sensitive, and phosphate sensitive.
According to Jack Samuels of www.truthinlabeling.org, the enzymes used in cheese making today in this country are man made and much more powerful than natural enzymes. Because of this they break down the proteins and age the cheese more quickly than they used to, thus creating more glutamic acid. Of course, in this country, if you can make a finished product more quickly, even at the expense of our health, the dollar wins out every time. Cultures are comprised of food grade bacteria.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 8:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D M T,

The article linked below says that peanut butter can cause headaches like MSG can:

http://www.diseaseworld.com/headache.htm
Evelyn H.
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 9:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DMT--I regularly buy Pace picante sauce and don't seem to have any problems with it. As for peanut butter, I learned the hard way to steer clear. If I have an occasional sandwich it's OK, but if I eat more than one peanut butter sandwich a week, I break out in hives from the sulfites. So if anyone knows of any peanut butter brands that don't contain sulfites, let me know. I kind of miss my peanut butter.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,

When you read the list of food items that can cause headaches on that website, it is obvious that the processing of these foods can create the MSG and thus it is assumed that the food itself causes the headaches. Another round robin and ignorance of the root cause.

I just got back from a short trip to Branson, MO to meet up with my InLaws. It was amazing to see what the local resturants refer to as food that they serve up to our senior citizens. I was able to recognize and steer clear of most of the dangerous food items. Thank God for the CoQ10. It helped me a lot.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arrowhead Mills makes an organic peanut butter. But be aware that you have to eat it up within a couple weeks of opening it. It will mold, even in the fridge. You could freeze part of it for later if you don't use it up fast enough.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

The result is the same. If you take otherwise safe food and adulterate it in some way, people are going to react to it.

The way they poison our elders is a sin. People think that when they eat out, they are getting something special. Unfortunately, what they are served in even the finest restaurants is often an insult.

By the way Tom, here's a posting I think you'll find intersting:

http://www.med-edu.com/HyperNews/patient/get/arrhythmias/afib-regulars/60/3.html
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 3:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And what is so sad, is that many elderly don't cook for themselves anymore from scratch...don't have the energy or interest. And the ones at care facilities are at the mercy of the ignorant kitchen workers and the many dietitians who insist MSG is safe.
su
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 4:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BREYER's ice cream but only Strawberry and Peach, all others are unsafe.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

su, I don't think Breyer's ice creams are safe anymore. From the old NoMSG board, many people were reacting to Breyers strawberry and peach flavors a year or two ago. I, myself, haven't touched the stuff since then. Debby's book has a recipe for ice cream made with rice milk, though I have yet to try it. I have better luck with homemade sorbet, made in a blender, with fruit, sugar, and a little water.
Melissa
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 10:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, I have found homemade is the only way to go. And if you can afford it, they have some pretty cool electric ice cream makers that are compact and easy to use, and fast. Krups and Cuisinart have them for about $60 or you can find the Krups model on overstock.com for about $44 plus $3.95 shipping. If that's too much, my mother-in-law got a small hand crank machine by Donvier, which makes small portions and is easy to turn. You just keep the bowl in the freezer until you are ready to make the ice cream (or whatever) and it will make a frozen treat out of just about anything in just a few minutes.
Melissa
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 11:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I would post this here since it fits in with the original topic about safe name brands.

I have found the Sprectrum Organic Mayonnaise made with soybean oil to be great! But if you have to avoid soy all together then they make a canola oil version also.

I still say Kettle chips in salsa mesquite and honey dijon don't give me or my husband any problems, and I have been known to eat quite a few in one sitting. They have a few ingredients that are on the list as items that "may" contain msg, but that means they don't always - so I believe they must use safer ingredients in theirs or I would react. I can't eat sour cream and onion flavor though, that one did cause a mild reaction. But the New York Cheddar doesn't bother us. I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are also - but I've never reacted to these.

The Arrowhead Mills brand and the Hodgeson Mill brand of grains, and cereals, and flours have been great for us. Including the boxed cold cereals. (but I still always read the ingredients just to be sure)

Butter I found to be safe is Alta Dena, and Organic Valley - but that is it. Not even those european butters are safe, we tried them. They all have flavor or flavoring. I suppose to preserve them since there is no salt.
Both companies also make milk, cream, 1/2 and 1/2 that is fine for us. Even the cottage cheese by Alta Dena was fine. I tried Horizon milk once but it was terrible, it tasted like the carton - kind of like chemicals, I hated it. I drank it without reaction, but couldn't wait for it to be gone.

If you don't buy organic eggs, you should. I recently read a doctor's report where they have the right balance of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids, where as regular eggs do not.

I also use the Spice Hunter Organic Spices, and the regular ones too - they have some great blends that are just simply herbs and spices, no additives whatsoever.

San Marzano tomatoes are great, nothing but tomatoes and salt, imported from Italy.

We also eat Sprats sardines, from Norway. And Starkist Select tuna in olive oil or water - just contains salt. I have eaten the Whole Foods brand of tuna also, and it was fine - again it only contains salt and water or oil. We eat canned salmon, but I forget which one - I just make sure the can says simply salt and water/oil.

We can also eat Mickleberry brand ham. It does have nitrites, but apparently that isn't our problem. It has very few ingredients compared to many other brands. And its very good. We also use Blue Ribbon brand bacon, again it has no flavorings, it's smoked over real hard woods, it just has the nitrites, which I'm sure aren't good, but we don't react. We eat it sometimes as a treat, because I know bacon is too much fat.

I also use Glen Muir tomato products and even their spaghetti sauce, when I don't have time or tomatoes to make my own. But I read every label to be sure. The Garlic and Onion is my favorite, but Italian Herb is also good - and I also use Barilla noodles. I tried organic but they weren't very good. We used to always eat
whole wheat noodles, because we used to go hypoglycemic all the time. But since we have figured out more of the foods that I thought were ok, and they really WEREN'T, we don't go hypoglycemic much anymore, and we eat Barilla again.

Now this one is probably risky for some of you, but if you are a chocolate fiend and had to give it up due to all the msg in it, you may want to try the Scharffenberger brand of chocolate. It's gourmet, and a bit expensive, and strong. It's worth it though. The cocoa is probably the simplest, it has nothing added, not even alkali as in Dutch processed cocoa. They have bars of chocolate for baking (semisweet/bittersweet/unsweetened) - and candy bars. The unsweetened contains cocoa beans, whole vanilla beans, and contains less than 0.5% sugar and lecithin - it's 99% pure cocoa). The bittersweet has cocoa beans, sugar, cocoa butter, lecithin, whole vanilla beans - and it's 70% pure cocoa. We have been able to eat both of these without problem. I know everyone is different, especially if you can't have the tyramine or soy, but for others it may be worth a try. If you are worried I would try the cocoa first. I have drunk hot cocoa made from this many times without problems, and it's delicious. The can does last quite a while because you only use a small amount. Just remember, all cocoa beans are fermented, but they use higher quality beans and possibly a better fermentation process - some may still not be able to tolerate this. Another chocolate we have eaten safely is one of the organic chocolate bars at Whole Foods.

A candy bar I have eaten successfully is the "Ritter Sport" imported German chocolate candy bars - you have to check the labels, but the one with raisins and hazelnuts didn't bother us at all. Some flavors may not be ok. We once tried the Alpenmilke brand, it was strawberry flavored, and it was a big mistake. But most of the Ritter Sport brand varieties work ok for us. I have better luck with European chocolate than I do American, but I am always careful.

Oh, and I also use Ghirardelli brand very successfully - again, it has lecithin, but it must not bother us. Ghirardelli is less expensive than Scharffenberger, but still delicious. Again, I know everyone is different in their levels of tolerance but we have had good luck with these.

The best advice I can give anyone still trying to find things to eat is to copy that list of "hidden msg" on this website - and memorize it or keep it with you while shopping (you'll eventually memorize it) - and remember THE FEWER THE INGREDIENTS ON THE PACKAGE, THE BETTER. But as far as natural glutamate still affecting you - hmmmm. Well, remember from Dr. Blaylock's book, when you are going hypoglycemic you are making yourself more susceptible to ANY glutamates (even naturally occuring) to get in through the blood brain barrier. We used to go hypoglycemic all the time, but have slowly gotten so much better after improving our diets. It takes time, detective work, and an education through trial and error. Try not to get frustrated, and keep your blood sugar up! Because hypoglycemia could just be making your problems worse!
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 11:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just recently made the MSG connection. Thanks to everyone who has shared brand names. I have tried to become a diligent label reader, but I still seem to be playing trial and error with some things. I have found a couple of items that seem to cause no reaction for me:

Daisy sour cream
Spectrum mayo
Whole Foods 360 peanut butter
Annieís Naturals salad dressings

I havenít been able to find a cream that does not contain either carrageenan or milk powder. Iíve been using HEB brand (a Texas-based grocer) cream to make sauces, and it seems to be OK. However, it does include milk powder, which Iím afraid is suspect. I have also been unable to find a salsa that doesnít affect me. I did make some from scratch, and itís not as hard as one might think. Some block cheeses are OK, but all the pre-shredded/sliced varieties give me fits. I guess a good rule to follow is that the more things that are done to food, the more processed the food, the worse it gets.

Thanks again!
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 8:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Anonymous: I too live in Texas and about a year ago I made the msg connection, and my life hasn't been the same since -- I feel I am cured! I do well with the HEB brand (Hill Country Fare) of whole milk. I use it instead of cream in everything, without a problem. I also use Van DeWalle brand of salsa(mild), and use it on everything without a problem. I have developed numerous recipes that are msg free, based on products that I can buy at HEB. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH MILK POWDER IN IT!! Some of my worst symptoms were caused by the dry milk powder. For years I thought I was allergic to milk, but now I drink all the whole milk I want without a problem. The last time I had my cholesterol checked, my good cholesterol was above the upper limit!! My allergies have disappeared, and I feel great. I still avoid corn and peanuts, but other than that, I can eat most things except msg and its hidden sources. HEB also carries Mariani dried cherries -- which are fantastic mixed with organic nuts for a snack. I have been through numerous packages without a problem. Good luck!
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 9:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for mild cheeses made with whole milk. If you can find one that is made with rennet instead of enzymes, you are better off. The enzymes and cultures are so much more powerful than those used years ago...thanks to man's intervention...and of course the reason they are created that way is to speed up the curing process. Milk and dairy products are high in natural glutamate, so I go easy on them. We are able to get Daisy sour cream and the Walmart brand of whole milk mozzarella cheese at Super Walmart. It contains milk, rennet, vinegar and salt. Most dairy products also contain sulfites added as preservatives. Many of us are sensitive to this, so it's another reason to go easy, not to mention the hormones and antibiotics that cows are treated with.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page