Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What about an overdose

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Share Your Symptoms » What about an overdose « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 6:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The more I stay off msg, the more sensitive I become. Has anyone tried going the opposite way. Has anyone slowly tried putting msg back into their system to see if they can get their bodies to respond like other people that can tolerate it?
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 6:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could get Deb.A to delete this question, it was during when of my msg attacks. I get foggy and can't think, except to want to end it. I worry about these times when I have an attack, I don't know what I will do. When I don't have msg in my system, I love life.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your question. In fact, I wish I had a nickel for every time someone has wondered and expressed the same thing. Most of us here have been where you are concerning the dark times during an "episode" or attack. I remember wanting to just die and end it all. But when I look back on that period of my life now, although it was horrible, I am glad that I went through it in order to be able to warn others now. It took me at least a year to get a good handle on how to avoid MSG, and I well remember the ups and downs I experienced. Now, when I do make a mistake and have a reaction, it actually serves me well. I am reminded of what it's really like for others who have yet to or have just made the MSG connection and who are still struggling. It's a nightmare...do you trust your doctor, your friends, info on some website, perfect strangers, your own self??? And as you have said, when this stuff in is your system, it's hard to think at all! Keep learning and be good to yourself and concentrate of healthy lifestyle changes.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 5:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for caring.
Barbara Scoles
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 7:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Deb...how about going on Oprah? If we could get her on our side, it might help to get some press and help others to make the connection. With a bunch more mad people out there, we might be able to make some sort of impact.
I have traveled a lot for my job. I know that other countries can feed their people without all the MSG. I spent 3 weeks in Israel without a migraine and did things I hadn't done in years. I hiked up a mountain near the Dead Sea and I wasn't even in shape. Just on an adrenalin high from not being sick!! I wish I had made the connection back then in 1995.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 8:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,
I pretty much have the MSG under control, that is, I know where most of the hidden sources are. But there is still sulfites and tyramine for many of us to contend with. Just when I thought I had the MSG licked, I started getting headaches from almost everything else I was eating. Tyramine is the culprit almost every time. My diet is VERY limited, but I still think it is balanced. I feel good without vitamines. I feel good without headaches. The couple that I get each month are tolerable. Try a word search on this board for tyramine. Also, Deb S. just posted a website for tyramine. I am going to look at it right now and print it for future reference.

Hope you feel better soon, and stay away from that horrid MSG! (Had somebody at work tell me maybe my sensitivities were all in my head today. Yes! It's called migraines, and it's all diet related!)
Gerry Bush
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I was in my early 20's, (I am now 54) people and my doctors all told me my reactions were either nerves or food allergies, ie. strawberries, etc. Only when a mega dose of msg at a Chinese restaurant nearly killed me..literally... did I know what was poisoning me. As we all know only too well it is quite a challenge to avoid msg in our diets today, but avoid it we must.
Now I am sensitive to all food chemical additives. There is almost nothing that my body will tolerate other than organic fruits and veggies and other such foods. We are truly in a battle for our health. It is such a disgrace to realize that our government and society readily allow the poisoning of its people by the chemical companies for the sole purpose of monetary greed.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are all victims of the 20th century chemical assault, and it will catch up to us some day in one way or another. There won't be a family that won't be effected by it. As for Oprah, I have yet to send her a book for want of the right address. Need to do some more research, but extra time has been hard to find lately...life outside of the MSG cause makes demands of me too, unfortunately! That's the case for all of us. Gerry, isn't it amazing how ignorant doctors are of this issue? If they don't know about something, many would just rather dismiss it as stress or food allergies, and prescribe the drugs. But I am sensing a growing interest in MSG within the general public. We ARE making some waves, not just the tiny ripples of a few years back.
Deb S
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 1:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oprah Winfrey's website: http://www.oprah.com

She also has a magazine now, "O" magazine... maybe an article on MSG printed there first, then after the groundswell of readers' responses, it could lead to a spot on her show!

In the "Spice Rack" section of her website (under "Food"), this description of MSG appears:

"Monosodium glutamate, or MSG, is a white powder derived from glutamic acid, an amino acid. Though it has no flavor of its own, MSG will intensify the flavor of foods. It is often used in Chinese cooking. Some people have adverse reactions to MSG, so its popularity is waning for this reason. You can find it at your grocery store labeled as monosodium glutamate, MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein or under brand names like Accent."

The door appears to be open to hearing more about how MSG impacts our lives, and how ubiquitous it is.

I didn't find a mailing address after searching around for a little while, but here's how to e-mail suggestions for future show topics:

http://www.oprah.com/email/reach/email_reach_suggest.html
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe if several of us submit our own stories concerning the nightmares we've been though due to excitiotoxins, to the health editor of her magazine, someone will take notice. Include the websites and books, if you decide to do this. Carol, you could write a great one, noting that you are an ex food scientist. Thanks, Deb S. You are always so helpful!
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 6:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Per the article below from the Mayo Clinic, African-Americans suffer disproportionally from high blood pressure. As the food industry must take some blame for promoting foods high in monosodium glutamate and other forms of sodium, Oprah should have plenty of ammunition regarding this issue:

http://www.mayohealth.org/home?id=HQ00838
Mr.SourGrapes
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 9:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a mild headache from just two servings of Mrs. Budd's Chicken Pie. And then what was worse; the bathroom stench!!!!
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're lucky that's all you got! Some us here would have landed in the hospital...racing heart, asthma-like attack, anaphylactic shock, terrible Migraine headache, debilitating stomach distress, seizures, vertigo, and more...don't want to minimize your suffering, but you are one of the luckier ones...just 2 bites would have done the same to some of us! MSG is POISON!
Melissa Moser
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 10:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is great to read these testimonies. I was "sick" most of my childhood due to MSG. Now, at 40, I work diligently to avoid it-and I mean diligently. Unfortunately I still get caught sometimes. I work with children in a therapeutic environment. When I suggest MSG as a possible cause of different behaviors, people look at me like I need therapy!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 1:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Melissa. It's unfortunate that people refuse to consider the fact that their food could be unsafe and could be causing their or their children's problems. They usually think that if it is on supermarket shelves, it's fine, or the FDA would remove it. I thought the same way, once. Check the topics on our home page at www.msgmyth.com for more testimonials about the effects of MSG on children. And please don't give up trying to warn others. You might consider getting a loaner copy of our book to show to people you work with.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page