Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

How long?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » How long? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 6:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ended up with a reaction,I think I know what did it. My only answer is to stop it for a while and then try it again.I am not sure how long I wait till I would try it again.The item was Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice, but it also took like 4 days to build up into my system. But when it blew I didn't know what I was thinking, I was extremely depressed, I didn't think I was going to pull out of this one. I don't want to try it again but I'm having trouble finding things I can drink. If I drink water I get really bad stomach cramps from IBS. So I have to find other things to drink. Any help would be great.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried drinking only bottled distilled water instead of tap water? Tap water contains chlorine and all sorts of chemicals they use to remove the large amount of chlorine they start out with to treat it. Some also has added fluoride, also not a good thing. I'm not too sure what might be in bottled spring water, but when I had a hair analysis that showed high arsenic levels (?), I switched to distilled.

I use some varieties of Cascadian Farms organic frozen juice concentrates (grape, orange, sunrise blend, cherry, apple) diluted with distilled water. I avoid their white grape and raspberry (possible sulfites and tyramine). You can find those at health food stores. Also, Knudsen and Western Family "Natural Selections" both make organic apple juice from whole organic apples (not from concentrate). I never buy Ocean Spray juices; I think they probably contain "natural flavor" and most likely, plenty of sulfites.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ocean Spray "juices" are adulterated with citric acid (msg) and other flavorings. I drink (subsist) on bottled spring water. Sounds boring but its safe.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 8:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall suffering after drinking cranberry juice that was concentrated. I seem to recall someone mentioning that concentrated juices have a high glutamate count. Definitely, bottled water and fresh fruit is the only way to go for me.

It is remarkably easy to make your own cranberry conconctions by just boiling up from fresh cranberries. Just add in a little sweetner. I love the tartness.
Ruth
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do cranberries have high glutamates or tyramine?
Can't find them listed, but I think I have reacted to them-bulk from Whole Foods. Maybe it was something else I ate.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you talking about cried cranberries in bulk, Ruth? I reacted terribly to some dried cranberries. Even though the label on the Sunsweet package said cranberries and sugar only, I learned after calling the company that sunflower oil (no problem) was added and that the berries were treated with sulfur dioxide...as most dried fruits are. I'm very sulfite sensitive, as are many MSG sensitive individuals (that may not even be aware of).
Carol H
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dried fruits contain tyramine.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carol! Must be on together...you know, I have no problem with fresh cranberries with which I make relishes and baked desserts, so hopefully that may mean I don't have much of a problem with tyramine. Of course it may depend on the amount you get, too.??? I do rinse the fresh ones very well, hoping it will remove residues of pesticides or preservatives. I'm not aware if sulfites can be rinsed off. I need to do some research.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 8:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found on the site referred from this one ( under Headaches and MSG ) It says that Ocean Spray Cranberry juice does not have msg. Maybe we should let them know this is misleading.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 9:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They need to know that processed corn products, such as corn syrup contains enough free glutamic acid to compromise the health of MSG sensitive individuals. Also, the sulfites added cause suffering for many of them also, and including asthmatics.
Ruth
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 10:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, they were dried cranberries from the bulk food section of Whole Foods Market. But I also reacted to the fresh ones I cooked with apples and oranges at Thanksgiving. I rinsed them pretty well but didn't use baking soda to do it. The oranges had the peel still on. Maybe that's not a good idea. I normally peel everything I eat.
Someone asked about coffee. Are coffee beans aged or just roasted green? I think I am getting headaches from decaf coffee. I'll do some research at Whole Foods Market today and see what they can tell me about it.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 4:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect your headaches are not from drinking decaf coffee but withdrawal of the regular.
Frank
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 5:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To anonymous: Your problem with Ocean Spray cranberry juice is the added high fructose corn syrup. I stopped buying their juice as soon as I found that they started adding it, like a year ago. Just read the ingredients on the label and you'll see :)
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 6:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,
It's been many years since I drank real coffee or had chocolate. I had been drinking a cup of green tea almost every morning, which I think has very little caffeine. I gave up the tea. I've only had an occasional cup of decaf since I gave up dairy products a few months ago, but even an occasional cup of decaf has a little caffeine, I'm pretty sure, as it used to keep me up at night if I had it too late in the day. I think it was the decaf with a little Rice Dream original that gave me headaches. I'm wondering if the beans are aged or fermented. I also drink Tropicana orange juice (fresh squeezed with no calcium) and pomegranate juice from Whole Foods. Maybe that has some glutamate or tyramine. It doesn't say organic either. I may just have to drink water, as someone suggested on this board last week. I hope to get to Whole Foods today to do my coffee research.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 9:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth, I do better with Florida Naturals fresh orange juice. I react to Tropicana...I suspect sulfites. Have you tried peppermint tea? It's good without milk. I also discovered that I can buy roasted chicory granules at our health food store. I simmer a 2 to 3 teaspoons in about 3 cups of water for a couple minutes, remove it from the heat and let it steep a few more minutes. I strain it into a teapot, and drink with a little sugar and organic milk or rice milk. It's quite good instead of coffee. I can't drink the grain beverages like Postum now, because they contain roasted barley and malt which contains glutamate. So this is like Postum without the barley. We always have lemons on hand for a slice to add to water or to make lemonade with. I also freeze and bottle apricots and whirl them in the blender for a delicious nectar. Frozen berries and melon pieces added to ice and water or rice milk make good fruit smoothies. Any fruit blended with water, sugar and ice makes a good drink. A squirt of fresh lemon juice in it is good, too.
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 3:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb A. I just recently started to use a little Rice Dream-so far just in coffee. I will try mixing it with fruit in the blender. I think I read that chicory has something to cause a reaction, but I can't remember where I read it.
I found out at Whole Foods market today that the coffee gets old after about a week, and they don't sell it much after that. They roast the beans right there in the store, green, for about 10 minutes. I think the coffee, itself, is what has tyramine, not the caffeine. The fact that the beans are considered too old to sell after a week is probably the reason for the tyramine levels in the coffee-all leftovers and older foods have more tyramine than fresh foods. I am trying some red tea from Africa. It is supposed to be very healthy. Hopefully I won't react.
Barbara
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking of getting a dehydrator and drying my own cranberries, apples, etc. Any problem with that?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As long as you wash them very well first, there shouldn't be problem, unless you react to something else that is in them, naturally. Apples may be sprayed with lots of pesticides, but what isn't these days if they aren't organic. And then with organic, we still need to worry about so-called natural sprays that contain glutamic acid, such as AuxiGro. Pears dry beautifully,too. I slice them lenthwise and don't worry about the core and seeds. My grandkids eat around them or end up eating the whole thing! Apricots are the best! I love baking with them instead of raisins. And soaked and simmered in water till soft and then sweetened, they make a delicious pie. I'm lucky to have a friend who allows me to pick all the apricots, grapes, and cherries I want. And the apricots aren't sprayed, which is wonderful! Yep, we live in orchard country, so we can enjoy lots of fresh fruit.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page