Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What did I react to!?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » What did I react to!? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 3:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I get very ill when I get MSG, but last night I had a different kind of reaction. Instead of a bad headache and blurry vision, I had to visit the bathroom a few times. This morning, I was bloated and tired with a slight headache. I did try a new tea. It's by Celestial Seasonings, called Green tea and peppermint, decaffeinated naturally, whatever that means. It contains tea, peppermint and spearmint leaves, and essence of mint. What can I drink if this tea is the culprit?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 9:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, didn't you once mention that many of the teas today are flavor enhanced in some way? You said, correct me if I'm wrong, that the wet mash is shot through a hose at the top of a silo and is blasted with hot air, causing the volatile oils to evaporate, so enhancers are added to intensify what flavors are remaining in the dry tea. I have a neighbor who got violently ill after drinking "naturally" decaffeinated tea. Her doctor told her that they spay the leaves with some chemical to prevent mold or rot. I have found that many of the Celestial Seasonings teas contain, "Natural Flavors", which could mean anything today. We get many report of people getting a typical MSG reaction after drinking these flavored varieties. I do best with organic peppermint tea. I am convinced that chemicals are added to most teas because, I tried drying my mint for tea last year. It's wonderful, but not nearly half as strong when brewed as the commercial peppermint tea.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I learned on this board that black teas are fermented. I read that green tea has a lot less caffeine than black teas. I have been doing great drinking Celestial Seasonings "Authentic" Green Tea, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile Herb Tea (just chamomile flowers), and organic peppermint tea.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 4:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teas that are powdered mixes are often dried in a spray drier, after they are brewed. The essence of mint may be the culprit here. What is essence? I'm not sure there is a technical definition for that word "essence". That may be where they are being tricky. Naturally decaffinated usually means carbon dioxide under pressure is used. When pressurized, it acts as a liquid with interesting properties such as the ability of caffeine to dissolve in it. This is how the caffeine can be extracted.
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 5:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your fast responses. I will look for the chamomile and peppermint teas and try them.
Hoteru
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,
I react with migraines to all the Celestial Seasonings Teas, Lipton Herbal Teas and Good Earth Teas I've tried. I also react to Trader Joe's 100% chamomile tea and all the Traditional Medicine teas I've tried.
Being also hypoglycemic I don't take any alcohol, sugared drinks, soda, caffeine, fruit or vegetable juice(except rarely carrot juice if it is freshly pressed in front of me). Thanks to the information on this board, I leave aspartame alone. That pretty much leaves me with water-and no migraines and no blood sugar lows.
It was hard to accept at first and even now I still momentarily want things that would make me sick. I am grateful for the information that makes it possible for me to enjoy a glass of water without feeling I'm missing something.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 7:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm still getting headaches, not nearly as bad as I used to get. Maybe the chamomile tea is a culprit. One thing I eat every day is French toast. I make my own bread with organic flour without barley malt. I use regular, supermarket eggs, and Whole Foods maple syrup. Could there be something in the processing of the maple syrup (I know it is boiled down to make it thicker) than might cause a reaction? Meanwhile, I will give up tea and see what happens. Also tried kippered snacks and organic olives (Kalamata olives, water, and sea salt), both from Whole Foods Market. Got a headache. Really should have tried them one at a time. Now I'm afraid to try either one again.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 8:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth,
If kippered snacks are what I think they are, they should be avoided due to high tyramine content (a migraine trigger). Here is a good description and list of foods high in tyramine:

http://www.virtualtrial.com/pcvdiet.cfm

I do fine with maple syrup, but I only have it on weekends (1 or 2 days a week). I drink chamomile tea occasionally and notice that some brands affect me differently than others, but no outright headaches. The most benign one for me is Celestial Seasonings. Stash regular and organic left me a feeling little "off," not sure why. I usually drink organic earl grey or breakfast blend, but now I must give those up because the tannins supposedly inhibit iron absorption, and I'm a little low.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 8:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb S. Maybe I'll get up the nerve to try the olives again. They were delicious. But no more kippered snacks. I might be able to find a substitute for the maple syrup-maybe the pear butter from Whole Foods Market. I'll try that for a week or two and see how I do.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think maple syrup, especially organic, is okay, but I wouldn't overdo it. Too much of anything sweet isn't good for anybody. But I don't think there is much protein in the maple sap in order to create free glutamate. (Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.) I really love waffles or french toast with a little maple syrup and some cinnamon applesauce (look for Santa Cruz organic) spooned on top, or some homemade jam.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 9:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth, Give up those olives. I seem to react to all olives these days. They can be in a jar or just loose in the market, but no matter, they all make me itch! In spite of the fact that I love them I am now avoiding them. They MUST be treating them with something...maybe auxigrow?
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 9:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unripe green olives are treated with chemicals to make them edible. If not treated, they give a bitter, almost choke cherry reaction. Some companies claim to use no chemicals in their process, but if there is vinegar involved in any olive product and you react to some vinegars, as many of us do, that may be the problem. I have found that I do fine with certain canned black olives in water, salt, and ferrous gluconate, such as Lindsay brand. For a tasty spread, process them (tiny chunks, not a mash) with olive oil, a clove of garlic, some fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, and a pinch of cayenne. You can add Italian herbs if you like.
Also, many of the tea envelopes are made with paper that contains sulfur residues used in their production, and some drying herbs are treated with sulfites. Be aware that sulfites are used extensively in foods and food production.
Ruth
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much Gerry and Deb A. for the info on olives and tea. That's interesting about the paper the tea bags are made from. I ate one olive at Whole Foods Market and got dizzy and a headache from it. It took me weeks to track down the person in charge of the olives to find out that it had unlisted vinegar. I will suggest that they list the foods that contain sulfites. They have a wine department, and I think it should be listed in both places, wine and olive bar. Of course they allow no MSG in the entire store. Could you imagine how much choice we would have if we could eat everything in their store! Little do they know or care! Still, I need the place for the few foods I can safely eat.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth, many of the foods in Whole Foods and Trader Joe's do contain hydrolyzed protein, autolyzed yeast, whey and soy by products, citric acid and more. They may not allow pure crystalline MSG in their products, but they are usually ignorant of the fact that there are substances which contain a high percentage of free glutamate. An MSG sensitive friend got a nasty MSG reaction after eating some soup or chowder there, so be careful and read labels, even at these better alternative stores. Wish we had one here where we live. At least we'd have a few more choices.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw a show recently on a food channel about olives. Many of them are aged quite a bit before you can eat them. I avoid green olives, and any olives at a salad bar. I only eat black ripe olives canned in water with ferrous gloconate. Kalamata olives taste wonderful, but I beleive these are aged. If you are avoiding tyramine, avoid things like green olives which are pickled.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 2:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you like green olives, try my suggestion for black olives above, but don't chop them up. Just add them to the ingredients, and they are yummy that way.Adding the herbs gives them a flavor similar to Italian olives. You can make easy fresh pickles the same way. Simply slice the cukes, and add a couple teaspoons of whole pickling spices, lemon juice, water, salt, sugar, and pepper. If you like, you can add dill and garlic. They are best the second day and will last at least a week or more in the fridge.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 3:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I just remembered....you're in eastern time....it's 3 hours earlier here!
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 10:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the black olives the ones that are older than the green ones? If they are black, are they necessarily aged? Is olive oil made from green olives and is it safe?
Also have a question about decaf coffee? Is there anyplace to buy a safe bean? Health food store? There used to be Swiss water process. Haven't asked about this in years. Maybe there is something better out there now.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 4:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black olives are just ripe olives. Most are fine to eat. Usually ferrous gluconate is used to keep them firm in the can, but that should be fine. I do rinse them well, though. It's best to use virin olive oil(first press). Someone has posted here that some cheaper brands have been diluted with corn oil.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 4:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, that's virgin olive oil, not virin!
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 12:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently had a terrible response after eating in a Thai restaurant. Four of us ate the same food and I was the only one to get sick. Not sure if it was MSG as not the ususal symptoms as generally listed. Does nausea/vomiting, cramping/diarrhea & fainting constitute an MSG sensitivity? What do I do now, I'm almost afraid to eat anything? Also have had headaches and fibromaligia for some time, also a sensitivity?
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you go to the homepage at www.msgmyth.com, you can read the list of typical symptoms and yours are there. All you have mentioned are commonly reported ones. Several of the people who post here once suffered from what was diagnosed as Fibromyalgia. If you read my story on our site, you will see that headaches are often the result of MSG. You need to learn all that you can to avoid MSG. That's why my book is offered on our site. (We will be offering discount prices for orders of 2 or more in the next couple days... Look for the posting on the menu of the homepage). The book can make the job a lot easier. I know the feeling of not knowing what is safe to eat, as the rest of us here have. But don't get discouraged. There is still plenty of food that you can enjoy.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 7:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, food allergies seem to be common to MSG sufferers on this board. Allergy symptoms can include the symptoms you listed. According to nurses where I am treated for my allergies, food allergies can result in headache, stomach pain and diarrhea. If you were the only one in your party to be affected, it may be allergy. Of course, because of its effects on histamine, any MSG ingested along with the offending food would have made your symptoms worse.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To DebA. Thanks for the resource, I will connect and try to learn more.
Joyce T.
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if sauted onion gives abdominal distress? Fried some potatoes in olive oil along with chopped yellow onion. Was surprised at the reaction as I eat onion frequently, both fresh and fried.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 2:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joyce, I'm puzzled by onions. I have received e mail with the same questions you have raised. Onions never used to bother me, but for the last few months, I have noticed that I have reacted with abdominal distress, too, and sometimes a headache the next morning. The only thing I have been able to track down is onions. Either we are allergic, or they are being treated with Auxi-Gro, as Jack has suggested to me in the past. Many of the ones here are shipped from Idaho, and we know for a fact that most of their potato crop is sprayed with AuxiGro. There's no doubt in Jacks's mind that if it's not sprayed on the onions, nearby fields could be contaminating the onions or anything else near potato fields. (irrigation run-off and arial spraying) Of course, the potatoes you ate could have been treated, too, unless you have been okay with them before.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joyce T.
Did you use regular olive oil, because they can put corn oil in regular olive oil. Make sure you are using light or virgin olive oil.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 7:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re onions, perhaps you have a sensitivity to sulfur? The symptoms of a sulfur sensitivity include abdominal distress (e.g., bloating, C & D), headaches, and feeling generally punk. Some other foods with sulfur include: garlic, nuts, egg yolk, fish, bran, broccoli, cabbage, cheese, lentils, cauliflower, brussels sprouts.
Joyce T.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 11:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On fried onion problem-did use virgin olive oil and also had this same onion fresh on a sandwich the day before and was OK. Have noticed bloating etc from cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and cooked carrots, not raw carrots. Only other things I eat on MEMorris's list is eggs, garlic and almonds, no problem so far. Will check at market to see where Ohio onions come from. Thanks for all your help.
Joyce T.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 10:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Onions came from Texas, Potatoes from Michigan and lettuce from California. Could it be the lettuce and not the onions? Are states other than Iowa and California using the spray?
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 7:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AuxiGro and other metabolic primer copy cats are being used all over now.
Judy
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 11:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always eaten Kettle Chips with no reactions and yesterday I saw on a Ruffles package I had purchased for guests that the ingredients in Kettle Brand chips and Ruffles were the same no preservatives but that cottonseed oil might be used in the Ruffles. This AM I am having a slight headache from the Ruffles. I'm wondering what is going on here?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 3:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be AuxiGro sprayed on the potatoes in the fields. Or it could be sulfites, even though the package says "no preservatives".
Ruthie H.
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 10:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to post this message a couple of days ago, and perhaps I did it wrong. Can't find it, so here goes again. My doctor put me on Glucophage as I haave diabetes, and my blood sugars are running too high. I went on it for 4 days, and began having the same problems I have with MSG. The symptoms of heart beat of 120 to 140 per min. and irregular pulse. (My Dr. is out of town for a week with the nurse out of the office too and no one on call.) He is an endocrinologist and works with diabetics. The ingredients in this med are: Povidone, Magnesium sterate, and the coating is methylcellulose. The last 2 ingred. sound like something with MSG in them. Can anyone out there help me? I did go off the med, as I was feeling too ill. Thanks---Ruthie
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 4:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the end of the article linked below is a section on glucophage side effects. Fast heartbeat is one of those listed:

http://my.webmd.com/content/asset/uspdi.202756
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 6:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruthie, Can you see another doctor, just for this week? It's not good for you to be in this bind. This is serious and a doctor should really be making this decision for you. There might have an alternative medication that works better for you, that you can be given right away. Perhaps the local pharmacist may have some helpful answers as well, or may recommend another physician available immediately.
DJ
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 12:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,

The other day I posted about reacting even though I was on a complete fast. All I was drinking was water from the Brita Water Filter pitcher. I was getting seriously ill, called the company and was told they only list the "things that could hurt you", her reply "silver".

Well, I don't know the symptoms of silver poisoning, but since I have stopped drinking the filtered water, I have been feeling like a new person. I had been ill for so many months, with serious symptoms. The real test will come tomorrow when I return to work. Although I do not eat the food that we serve, I inhale the msg fumes all day long. I can hardly believe the difference.............it feels great!!

DJ
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ: I get symptoms if I DON'T eat; kind of a reactive hypoglycemic reaction I guess. I get the swelling, pain, sleeplessness, rage, ...all of my symptoms. Is this possible for you?
DJ
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 4:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Judy,

I must admit that I had all the symptoms you listed, as well as tremors, headache, neck pain, serious facial flushing, however, these all occurred while I was eating. I guess the only way to tell is to fast again, and see what happens. DJ
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 7:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi DJ,

You might want to read this link about metals in drinking water:

http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/wqwm/ag473_1.html
Carol H
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 3:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ, Not eating will definitely give you troubles. Low blood sugar is low blood sugar regardless of how it occurs. The brain must have some carbohydrate fuel regardless of anything else. The brain cannot burn fat. The only way the body can compensate for no carbohydrate intake is to break down muscle tissue elsewhere in the body, strip away the amino portion that contains nitrogen, and turn the carbon, oxygen and hydrogen portion into something usable for energy. Unfortunately people with anorexia fall victim to heart troubles due to the fact the body gets this protein anywhere it can, including the heart. I don't believe fasting is healthy, it's like having your car run out of gas on purpose. I know how you feel though, I am allergic to so many things that eating is starting to become a liability for me. It's hard to figure out what to eat when virtually anything will give me a reaction. It seems it would be easier just to stop eating.
DJ
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carol,

That is exactly how I have been feeling lately, that no matter how hard I try, I kept getting worse....I have a serious problem with caffeine, more than two cups of tea or coffee and my vision blurs so badly, I can hardly drive. I don't know whether it was the water or not...I can't say for sure....Of course now the grass and pollen is kicking in and compounding everything else!! The thing I hate more than anything is that I use to be very, very heavy....lost about 80 lbs 10 years ago, and I feel food obsessed...and I HATE thinking about food every minute of my life!! I wish it didn't have to be this way..........

DJ
Val
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey DJ,
I completely understand how you feel. I suffered from a mild eating disorder a year ago and now that I have to be so careful about what I eat I feel like food is controlling my life again. I found out that MSG is my worst food allergy but I am also allergic to so many other things. Most people don't just have one food sensitivity, and a lot of times a person just gets more and more sensitive. I am currently undergoing NAET treatment which is helping me incredibly. Even if you decide not to undergo the treatments, it might be helpful to go to a doctor who practices NAET so he can do allergy testing and tell you exactly what you are allergic to. They can test for any substance you could imagine and it was the first doctor that I went to that had dealt with similar problems and did not think I was crazy. You can go to the NAET website www.naet.com and find a practitioner in your area.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 5:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just learned that sulfites or other preservatives are added to some oils, including some imported olive oils. Are you sensitive to olive oil, Carol? What oil do you use?
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use imported Italian olive oil - usually Colavita. I also use almond oil, sesame oil (regular and toasted), sunflower seed oil, avacado oil (this is a good substitute for butter on hot wings - it doesn't congeal), my all time favorite though is roasted hazelnut oil. I try to vary my oils. Companies like Spectrum and Loriva carry different ones.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 6:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone help me? Monday my top lip swelled up about 3 times its normal size with tingling and my face swelled up a little. I put ice on it but it didn't help. I had this reaction three times -twice last May (2nd time my bottom lip) and third time (my epigottis - back of my mouth) but could still breathe. Could this be because of MSG? Could it build up in my body and make me swell up a few times a year? My allergist doesn't help any, he gave me prednisone for the swelling. Would appreciate some opinions. Thanks.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 7:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother got those very symptome when she ate a lot of tomato products (MSG) The doctor said she was allergic to certain chemical in them but since I react to MSG I have a feeling it was the same in her case. anyway, She only had bad swelling if the eating of bad products accurred at the same time as slight trauma to the area such as lightly biting her lip or eating something that irritated the back of her throat. It doesn't sound like much fun.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. Im glad I'm not crazy. I ate stuff with MSG - I checked for two days straight. I can't eat tomato products.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 8:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,my friend's throat shuts off when he eats MSG so bad, that he has to induce vomiting to breathe.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 5:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

Your friend apparently isn't the only one who gets strangled by MSG, according to this link:

http://www.badgerplus.com/alive/column/jan00/beckcol03010200.asp
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 8:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DearNOMGers,

Have any of you had a reaction just walking into a regular grocery store?

I don't usually do the shopping, but this morning I got to the store right at 7:00AM when it opened -- no customers yet but a lot of residual shelf restocking going on.

Within 5 minutes my pulse began racing and my heart began beating irregular. By the time I finished shopping (about 30 mins.), I felt like I was going to faint.

Do you think that the store being closed up all night long and the activity of stocking shelves released large amounts of MSG from the various food products? I've never experienced this when shopping during later hours of the day.

I wonder?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 8:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That may be possible, Tom. Also, many packaging materials are treated with preservatives. If you check on some of the cereal boxes, you will see that they are added to the box and liner. :( I know that if I touch a lot of the produce, I begin to feel "off" on occasion. I figure it's preservatives and the wax coatings on some produce that contains hydrolyzed materials and preservatives. My hands will itch sometimes.
Mary in MI
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 10:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that I react to printer ink--at my last job the HR office would send employee newsletters for my department, to me, to distribute to mailboxes. I always had to open the package and sort them right away & get them off my desk because the smell was very disturbing to me. The printer assured me they used odor free soy based ink, but I know what I know--

point being maybe others have the same type of reaction from printed packages in the grocery store--
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 2:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it may be the stress of foraging. It's tough for us to shop and hope that we won't be poisoned this time.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 4:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point! By the way, many people react to soy based inks.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an extremely tough time with boxes that are used for shipping and moving. I too have trouble with printer ink, Mary. I'm sorry to hear of your episode Tom. Deb, I didn't know that about the preservatives added to the boxes and liners!?!

Just a quick "Hello" to everyone. Lots going on here with special events and family. I'm still here (just in case anyone might have been wondering) and checking the postings as often as I can. I've been really encouraged to see so many new folks posting. Welcome to you. Take care. "Talk" to you all soon. Christine.
Marcia
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 4:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
Could your sensitivity been caused from possible spraying for bug control that night? I wonder how much of the pesticides enter the packaged foods.
ugh!
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 5:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An additional idea perhaps would be cleaning products that the cleaning crew may use. This JUST dawned on me. I used to open up a spa and fitness center at 5 AM for a major hotel and often the cleaning crew was still there in the background through which I'd have to continually walk. Even after they were gone, the chemicals' smell lingered for quite sometime. It was so bad if my schedule was switched periodically to the afternoon/evening one. Just a thought...
Sue M.
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 9:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would think we would learn!!! We ordered out pizza from Papa Johns and my son had one piece. He had a seizure during that night and again last night and has several little ones through out the day. He hadn't had a seizure for four weeks and I let my guard down just once and boom!! I am so angry at what msg does to his little system. We had been doing so well and I thought that if he got a little, he could handle it! How wrong was I.I did learn something interesting though today. I took him to our natural doc who has helped us a lot and he tested him and it was was definitely the msg causing the seizures. He does a technique to release the allergin to msg and he found he had to use a technique that he rarely has to use. It had to do with the blood brain barrier. I thought that was very interesting. I knew more about msg, thanks to this site, than he does and he didn't realize that it can cross that barrier. But everything he had to do goes along with a lot of the theories that you all have put out there. Since that visit this afternoon, he hasn't had a seizure. I don't know how many people believe in alternative doc's, but I thought it was interesting what he found out today. But, I will not let my guard down again. It is just a pain to know that you have to cook from scratch every meal and can't get a break once in a while!!! Does anyone have info on this pizza?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 3:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Papa John's claims to use no MSG on its pizzas, yet they list toppings such as pepperoni, which gives me an MSG reaction.

If you click on the link below and then click on "F.A.Q.s" (under "Menu" on the right side of the page), you will see their denial:

http://www.papajohns.com/menu/index.htm
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 8:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sue, I'm terribly sorry to have heard about the reactions your son has had. Hope he's better today. You must be very frustrated and saddened.

I wonder if I might make a suggestion. Recently, I have learned about a cooking method that has changed my life. I too have been cooking everything pretty much from scratch. This is very hard and time-consuming (but well worth the wonderful tastes). Anyways, for me, once-a-month, once-every-two-weeks, or other managable bulk cooking done in mostly one day per month or other time frame with very little extra effort when the meal is actually served has made all the difference in the world. Please forgive me if this is something with which you are already familiar. It takes a lot of initial effort just getting the plan down but I and my husband enjoy cooking together and no longer have the pressure of day-to-day or meal-to-meal question of what to fix and that it'll take so long from scratch. Yesterday, for instance, I made 24 burritos with very little extra effort that I have frozen for some breakfasts. It does take some coordinating and I'd be happy to help with any questions that I could answer. I just feel such a sense of relief knowing that with a one-year-old, I have something that I can eat (she and my husband, too) that's quick to pull out of the freezer that's been home made. Please let me know if I can help. This is only the second round of our doing this. First, I was only able to handle menu planning for two weeks at a time. This last time, we did a month plus. This may offer you the breaks that you need and deserve. Plus, maybe it is something that you and your son could do together. In other words, he could help (if I'm remembering correctly he might be old enough to help in some capacity) by being your prep cook, etc. It's a great way to spend quality time together. (I wasn't implying that you weren't already--just thinking that for our family it'll be great to involve our daughter when she's old enough). Good luck. Sincerely, Christine
Mary in MI
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christine, thanks for the tip, I have done this a couple times in the past but not lately. It did work great and was nice to have several quick options ready for dinner. The second time I did a month worth of dinners and it actually lasted two months with leftovers and meals out and nights when no one felt like eating.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, it's been great--a real lifesaver. I purposely prepare enough for lunches for the following days or I too freeze the leftovers. It's also allowed me for the first time to feel like I can instantly invite someone over for a meal because I know something that normally takes a lot of time to prepare is virtually done. I have learned however that I use a lot more spices and herbs in my recipes to get lots of flavor. It's more on the expensive side but OH the taste. MMMmmmmm!!! Glad my mentioning the idea sparked your interest again. Maybe we could swop freezer recipes sometime. Heehee.

You know this has liberated me. I plan to attend the meeting in Reno this September. I have requested a room with a kitchenette which means a microwave and refrigerator. I thought I'd bring my good old George Forman grill. But, then I got to thinking how in the world am I going to bring all the necessary cutting knives, bowls, just everything that I'd need to prepare my meals. It dawned on me that I can make everything ahead, freeze it, and just nuke it once in Reno. I've finally found my place in the kitchen. I always enjoy learning. This was really scary for me to take on this big of a project. I used to only cook pasta, then graduated to feeling more comfortable with meats since I married. Now, I so enjoy cooking and finding things that taste good that I made myself. It's almost therapeutic. Talk to you soon. Christine.
Sue M.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 1:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Christine and Roy. I went to that website for Papa Johns and it certainly sounds great! But there is something there that didn't agree with us! I had a very dry mouth that night and I only get that when I eat msg. Christine, I know quite a few people who cook like that and I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! It's a great idea, especially for summer time..it's always so crazy! My little boy hasn't had a seizure since the visit to the doc, so something he did really helped. I e-mailed another doc that we are working with and he aaid that while taurine and CoQ10 work well for these sensitivities, he has found one that works even better. It is Noni leaf tea. He said it works. He recommended a website of a company that has a good source, it is www.royalnoni.com. Just thought I would pass that on. I've never used it, but I trust his opinion. He is very aware of all the junk in foods and has given me cautions for some health products and what to look for. Thanks again !
Judy T
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 7:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Sue M: I am most interested in two things you said. First, what kind of technique did your doctor do regarding, he "does a technique to release the allergin to msg" ??? I'd love to know what he did. Those of us who suffer have our antenna out all the time looking for possible small ways to help us. Also you said that a doctor said that taurine and CoQ10 helped. Did he actually say that or agree with something you said? I'm fascinated that there are doctors who know what helps...if he said this then perhaps he knows of other lessor ways that we can be helped. Where do you all live? Are you coming to Reno in September? Would he possibly come to Reno, perhaps not this year, but for a larger conference if we have one in 2002? Some alternative or regular doctor could make a real career and become the 'leader' of the crusade against excitotoxins...kinda like the Andrew Weil marketer for good health. Gawd, if we knew someone who was knowledgeable, had credentials and/or presence and would hit the circuit, well they could be rich and we could get help. Anyway, anxious to hear from you.
mary in mi
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 4:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sue m was it the naet technique??
Vicki Ketch
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone react more during the spring and fall times of the year with MSG? I have been on a roll since November without a single reaction, watching EVERYTHING I ate and was so excited about it. Then Spring hit, I had three reactions in four weeks (bad ones). I remember back when I didn't know what was wrong for years and spring and summer were the worst times for me. I do believe it is because I have bad allergies to the pollen, grass, etc. anyway and I decided it must be because my system is weak during these times when I am fighting the pollen etc., therefore, I react more easily during this time. Anyone have a comment on this?

Also, I want to warn everyone, I went to CiCi's pizza, they assured me they used no msg in any of their pizza. During the winter, I could eat there with no problem, now I have had two reactions, won't be eating there anymore.

Tom-
Concerning your sensitivity to the store, last year I went into a T-shirt screen printing store and had a terrible reaction, the fumes were really strong, but I'm not sure what caused it, something in the air.
Vicki K.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 7:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have worse reactions in the spring and fall. I went all the way from November thru March with no reactions at all, watching EVERYTHING I ate. Then last month I had three BAD reactions within four weeks. I am assuming because I have bad allergies in the spring and fall due to pollen, weeds etc., that my system is weak and can't fight as well. Any comment?

Also, I was assured by CiCi's pizza that they did not use msg in their pizzas except for the cheese hamburger pizza. I ate there twice and reacted, proceed with caution.

Tom - I also reacted when I went into a t-shirt screen printing store last year, terrible allergic reaction, the fumes were really bad, didn't ask what it was, that was before I made the msg connection. I'm not sure what it was, pesticides or maybe ink.

Does anyone know anything about Thai food? There is a Thai restaurant here that is advertising NO MSG, all fresh ingredients. I have never ate at a Thai restaurant so I am not sure what it is, and am very cautious even though it advertises no msg. Anyone have any comments on this?
Mary in MI
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was tested for and diagnosed with allergies, it was explained to me that each instance of stress--whether it be pollen, job stress, relationship problems, chocolate binge, smoking, chemical exposure, etc.--was like a ball dropping into a bucket. When the bucket is full, that is your personal allergy overload threshold, and then you get symptoms. If you have seasonal allergies that could make you more sensitive to other "stresses."
Carol H
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 4:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This year I was very good about not eating foods I was allergic to, and for the first time in years my tree pollen allergy didn't cause me grief. I accidentally ate the wrong foods yesterday and woke up this morning with my old spring allergy symptoms. It really does all add up.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vicki,

Did you have different toppings on the pizza from one time to another? Also, they may have switched brands of sauce, etc.

(p.s. -we shouldn't have to be detectives)
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 7:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vicki,

I tried a Thai restaurant once and got a bad reaction. I never risked eating at one again. When I want a spicy curry without a reaction, I go to an Indian restaurant instead.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We now have an Olive Garden restaurant here, and I was wondering if any of you had any luck with any of their entrees? Any suggestions on what to avoid? My niece just got a job there and has been checking the ingredients and so far has said it looks pretty good. The manager says if they learn that some ingredient contains MSG, they stop using it. They are actually trying, at least, to avoid its use...hard to do in big chain restaurants.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I apologize for not posting very often lately. I have been swamped by company for the last month... friends and family from Panama to Nebraska. And it doesn't seem to be letting up shortly. This weekend, an anti-MSG activist from Alaska, Wayne Erickson is coming...he has written a book and is working on another and is in the states promoting it. He is a retired safety expert(mining), and his next book will have more to say about MSG and aspartame. I have never met him,(just e mail and phone chats) but he has been on TV and radio. Hopefully, his trip around the country will garner more attention. It's so comforting to know that when life ties me up and tugs at me, that the rest of you will continue the work of alerting others who visit here and helping to educate them. You are doing a great service, if you didn't know that already. Many people read this board each day, even if they don't post. THANK YOU!!! :)
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 5:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wrote earlier about my lips swelling. This only seems to happen to me in the summer. I think there's something to the theory that msg reactions occur more in warmer weather. I've been watching what I eat and have not had another reaction. I've stopped eating processed foods.
Laurie M
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 7:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A--
I live in Alaska and I would love to meet Mr Erickson. I am no where near Anchorage but if he ever stops in Skagway I would be happy to cook him an MSG free meal. Could you pass my e-mail address on to him?
Laurie Magee
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 8:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Laurie! I will be glad to give Wayne your e mail address and let him know of your hospitality. Please e mail your e-address to me at avenger@msgmyth.com and I will pass it on to him.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 9:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beware of the Olive Garden. I've always had a reaction, no matter what I tried there.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 8:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Anonymous. If I eat too much cheese or too much tomato based dishes, I know I react. I was hoping there were other choices that may be safer.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 2:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a terrible migraine from plain chicken at the Olive Garden. It had absolutely nothing on it and I still got sick. I think it was Roy who suggested trying beef. It might be something they put on the grill, too. Anyway, the chicken had no flavor at all. How about bringing your own food with you. I'm sure they wouldn't care, and you could still socialize.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 4:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ruth, for your input. I never order chicken out anymore. I think we take a chance with chicken, since so much of it is being dipped or injected with MSG broth, sulfites, or phosphates. Maybe I will try a simple pasta dish.
Judy T
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 7:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebA: I went to the Olive Garden in Reno (just down the street from where the September meetings are to be held), ordered plain pasta. It was wonderful and had no reaction. Remember, I'm the one who typically eats NO processed foods which means no breads, pastas, etc. The waiter was so nice, even brought me some plain breadsticks...I ate one with no reaction. I was thrilled. Probably the first pasta I've eaten for a year.
Laurie M
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need some help with a confusing issue. I am fighting a nasty cold and had a horrible sinus headache yesterday so i took a long bubble bath and took some mersyndol. The mersyndol is over the counter in canada it contains cold medicine and codeine. I have never shown allergy to codeine before or for the bubble bath i used. I woke up this morning with hives on my arms, stomach and a little on my back. The only time i have ever gotten hives was from a sulfa drug. Is codeine a sulfa drug? Or could the bubble bath be the culprit. I have recently cut out all suspect beauty products and i wonder if i have gotten more sensitive:( The upside is the mersyndol totally wiped out my killer headache and i slept through the night:)
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 4:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laurie, the only way to know is to use the medication and not take a bubble bath at the same time. Hopefully, there won't be a next time. If you did fine before with the bubble bath, it was probably the medication or something you ate earlier. Most medications contain sulfites...according to Ruth Winter in her book about additives. It's a preservative and stabilizer. You may have reacted to some of the fillers or binders in the medication, also. Hope you feel good today.:)
Judy, thanks for adding that about the Olive Garden. We got brave last night and tried it. I had a tiny bit of their dressing on the salad, ate 2 plain breadsticks (they were nice about finding some for me without the slathered margarine and garlic salt), and we all ordered the tour of Italy plate, only I had them substitute the chicken parmigiana with eggplant parmigiana. There was fettucine with cream sauce, and lasagna. It was so good, I ate the whole thing, and hoped for the best. I even took a few bites of the chocolate lasagna cake. When I got home, my back began to itch badly, my classic symptom for too much cheese, tomato, and chocolate. But I took half a Benehist (like Benedryl) and I was fine. I have not had any stomach distress or headache as of yet. My husband didn't do as well. I warned him about chicken at restaurants and today he came home early and is groaning on the bed as we speak, the poor guy! I gave him some tri-salts, baking soda and water, and he just took a Benehist. That's how he usually reacts.
Jay
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 8:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not just the Olive Garden; we've eaten in very expensive Italian restaurants and become INCREDIBLY sick afterwards. Chicken is very problematic, stick with beef.
Donna B.
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 6:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been following a very strict diet for the past week and certainly feel much better. I had a reaction to organic milk last night. I also had a lot of very painful leg cramps. I have cut out the calcium pills I was previously taking and haven't ordered tri-salts from century yet since I've had trouble finding them listed on their web site. Can you help with what is causing the leg cramps?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 8:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donna, are you taking HRT? Estrogen? Any Thyroid medication? I call their telephone number listed on their site to order the Tri-salts. I don't take a full teaspoon every day...more like 1/2 teaspoon every couple days. One can get too much calcium, magnesium, and potassium, especially if we are eating as we should be to include foods rich in these minerals.
Donna B
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 9:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,I am not taking any of the items mentioned. I will call and get the calcium. I am also pretty sensitve (joint aches) to tomatoes, peppers and such. Can cucumbers cause the same reation? Could this be because I have taken so many antibotics in the past? Sorry I haven't read all the other good info on this site yet which may provide my answers. I really am feeling great otherwise.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page