Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What caused this reaction?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » What caused this reaction? « Previous Next »

Valerie
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 8:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This morning for breakfast I ate organic rolled oat flakes with egg whites and walnuts (not packaged ones, from a health food store bulk section). I microwaved the oats for about 30 seconds and then added the egg whites and walnuts and microwaved it for two minutes.
I experienced a reaction to this and I don't know what could have caused it? Does microwaving proteins cause the release of free glutamates? Or was my reaction maybe a reaction to something besides msg like maybe chemicals in the eggs or something. Thanks, Valerie
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie--Were the organic rolled oat flakes just oats or are there other ingredients in them? Even organic foods, especially cereals, can contain MSG. Kashi is about the only cereal my son can eat.
Evelyn
valerie
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The organic oats I used were from the bulk foods section of a health food store and it contained only rolled oat flakes.
Deb A,
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 3:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oats, egg whites, and walnuts are all relatively high in natural glutamate, but if not cooked too long should be alright. I have reacted to walnuts on several occasions, and I suspect that it is either an allergy or I am reacting to preservatives, which are widely sprayed on nuts, even the ones found in health food stores. (sulfites, usually)Did you add milk to the cereal?
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 3:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valerie,

Exactly what was the reaction like? I have food allergies and have had severe MSG sensitivity. My blood pressure would go up when it was MSG and down when it was an allergic reaction. Nuts and eggs are both foods that cause severe allergic reactions in many people. These reactions can range from vomiting to headache to abdominal cramps, as well as anaphylactic shock. Also, allergies to pyrethrum which is a natural insecticide used on stored grains (possibly your oats) may be a candidate causing an allergic reaction. Have you been tested for allergies?
Valerie
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 6:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I have not been tested for allergies. I had a runny nose as soon as I began eating and then about a half hour later my lips began burning and my face was flushed. I also felt extremely bloated and gassy for the whole morning. Thanks for all the responses. I think I might go talk to an allergist and see if I have any allergy responses.
Valerie
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 7:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn - what kind of Kashi can your son eat? I have been trying to find a safe cereal but have not yet found any that I don't react to.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 11:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie--There are two varieties of Kashi, one is sweetened with honey and one is plain. My son can eat both without problems. It's a cereal similar to the puffed wheat that I used to eat as a kid. He can also handle, in small amounts, Barbara's Puffins (puffed corn cereal). It has added vitamins, so he doesn't eat it very often.
amh
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 2:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of all the serious and painful reactions I have to MSG, the one that bothers me is cosmetic. Does anyone have a suggestion on what vitamins to take for puffiness (suitcases) under the eyes?

I had been taking Q10 for energy and discovered quite by accident, that it does help me with my MSG symptoms. I had been taking it for about two months when I signed up for AOL and read your comments.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 6:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Avoiding more MSg will ease the puffiness! I used to have that bad.
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 6:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Puffiness under the eyes could indicate an undiagnosed thyroid problem, which many of us seem to have. Do you have other symptoms?
amh
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 9:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous 4/19 6:45
I do not know the symptoms of thyroid problem. I do know that if I get a good dose of MSG, my left eye puffs up within an hour.

I do avoid MSG, but also need to eat meals out quite often. Last night I had pizza with fresh mozzarella, no sauce. It sure was good on the palate, and thirty minutes later I was asleep at the kitchen table. Since I had been "getting away" with an occasional slice I wanted some.

When will I learn? We just can not get away with all that much.

Thanks for the suggestion, I could have my doctor do a test on the thyroid. A friend suggested a liver cleanse, which I did. I still have the puffiness.
DJ
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 2:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AMH....I react the same way to pizza. But I suspect it is the Mozzarella cheese. I could sleep for a week straight through after eating just one slice and that is NOT my personality at all! Wake up hung over........an awful feeling.

You are learning, we all are, don't feel guilty if occasionally you eat something you shouldn't. Remember there are others out there that are going through the same exact thing......

If I have a craving for pizza, I usually buy the prepared kind in the frozen organic section of my Whole Foods market....eat the whole thing... I find I don't react as strongly to that kind as I do to the "pizza shop" variety. The only thing is that it is costly........"so tell you something you don't know already, huh"??

Keep smiling..

DJ
Marcia
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What organic brand of pizza did you buy?
AMY's?
DJ
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 3:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marcia,

I don't really know what brand, but I read and read all the packages until I find one that looks like it will give me the least problems. All this talk over the weekend about pizza, I went out and bought crust, organic broccoli, organic mozzarella and tomato and made my own. Of course, I ate too much......oh well!

DJ
Rachill Smith
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello all! I have just gotten back from a couples retreat over the weekend with our church and had a great time! I really tried to stay away from msg but as I am new at this I am not sure of just what to chose at times? It is so hard to eat the way that I hear some of you guys eat. It really sounds like for the most part all you can eat is organic health store food??? MAN I have really got alot to learn? I had a couple small reactions over the weekend? after eating. But not to bad . maybe it was there salas dressing? or the sugarie things I ate? not sure but eating good foods is my life and I have some changing to do quickly! I havent yet completely convinced myself that all of my problems with anxiety attacks is caused from msg? but I will keep searching! I have to . I can't give up. I have felt so bad at times that I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for the Lord carrying me through! He is always just one prayer away! Thanks guys!
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 7:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachill - You don't have to go totally organic to start cleaning up your diet but I would stay away from processed food such as bottled/packaged salad dressings and cookies and breads that are store bought or made with mixes that contain alot of no-nos. Yes, there may be other additives that are bothering you. For example, Deb A's book sites problems that many of us have with sulfites and the site at http://www.priorityonevitamins.com/artichealth/msg.htm (posted by Roy Piwovar a couple of days ago) quotes a Dr. Weintraub as saying: "MSG also increases the allergic load, putting someone at risk of developing sensitivities to numerous chemicals and other substances." (I definitely recommend that you get Debís book and read this web posting if you havenít already.)

For surviving during get-aways, you may want to do a keyword search on vacations -- I think some folks posted their tips there.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page