Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hypoglycemia

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Hypoglycemia « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 6:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Deb S. Most Dr.s now feel that this disease is a myth. I have learned to read my body well and know that sugar is a depressant. It's funny, even when we go away with other couples, the ones who say that sugar doesn't bother them interest me. Shortly after they have consumed a dessert, they become cranky, argue, and are short-tempered. And those of us who abstain have to be the mediators and put up with their moods. So I'm not alone in my allergy to this white powder, believe me. It is a $$$$$$$ industry.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 8:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sugar contains sulfites and glutamates, besides what it does to our blood sugar levels. But MSG and aspartame are the substances that all of us here hate the most right now, and are trying to avoid. All of us need to cut down on sugar consumption and your points are excellent. I've been one of those people you talk about who became cranky after dessert.. But for me, it was the MSG in the entire meal, and when I cut that out, I became a new and much happier and healthier person. And I still like dessert occasionally, which I do fine with, as long as I don't overdo!
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 12:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb Glad for you. Enjoy!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 2:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about the raw sugar sold in the organic section of the grocery store--is it any better? the same? worse?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 3:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are tryng to avoid chemicals, it's better. But it has the same effect on your blood sugar level, either way. A lot of people say they feel better using Succanat, found in health food stores.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think controlling blood sugar levels is key to handling an MSG onslaught. Eat balanced meals, and control those cravings so you don't stray from safe foods. At the same time, keeping your energy up will give your brain the fuel it needs to protect itself, if you accidently get poisoned.
Deb S
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 9:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I would clarify that there are two "Deb's" who post on this board -- There's Debby Anglesey ("Deb A."), the creator/owner of this site; and me, "Deb S," just one of the people who has been around reading and posting here since this board started up. I just felt uncomfortable not speaking up because I don't want to receive any credit for all of Debby's hard work and dedication. In fact, most of what I've learned about avoiding MSG I learned from Deb A.!!! :D
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 10:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S., you don't need to take any back seat to me. Your comments are excellent and you obviously know enough to help any person visiting here, as you do all the time. We are very lucky to have you and all the other very capable and caring fellow sufferers who are willing to add their knowledge and experience to our voice. I feel like I have a staff of amazing volunteers who are willing to take time to make a difference for this cause and for other victims of our "chemical cuisine". When I can't be here, it's very comforting to know that many of you have become so well informed, that you can come to the aid of a first time visitor. Thank you with all my heart!!!
rachill smith
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 6:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! I am a newbie here! But I truly struggle with Anxiety attacks and panic attacks. The have truly tried to rule my life at times. I have recently started looking athe the possibilty of some of my problem being MSG? I have been praying that the Lord would help me to understand where this is coming from and lately ever time I eat something that makes me feel very anxious and sick I Feel the LOrd has lead me to go look at the labels on what I just ate and everytime it has had msg in it? Are there truly alot of people that are affected this way from msg? Or can it be just part of the problem? I also have irritable bowle syn. and low blood sugar to. In the past I have had terrible situations with panic atttacks and suffer for a month and then it would subside for 7 or 8 years and then come back with a bang?? BUt this spring and summer I have had a roller coaster affect with it ??? one day and spip 2 then maybe a whole week the skip a week??????? I hate the terrible feeling . Anyone out there ever deal with this problem? help
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 7:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rachill,

Welcome. Glad you found us. Below are linked two articles on panic attacks. The second is a more technical version of the first:

http://www.altnewtimes.com/e73mgi.html

http://www.panicattack.net/treat.htm
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rachill, Welcome. I have read that some folks suffer severe mood swings from food allergies and sensitivities to foods or additives such as MSG.

For me, I become immediately depressed (like I think my world is ending) after ingesting MSG.

Fortunately, the short period of depression is my indication that I have eaten something that was bad for me. Also, it is a great warning sign for me to get to a safe place before the rest of my physical reactions start. My body is smart --- it rids itself of the MSG quickly as I have severe digestive reactions and must pass the offending food quickly and upon doing so, my mood becomes stable again.

I wonder if I was less physically reactive to MSG and experienced only the depression and didn't realize the source of my problem, if I would develop panic attacks as may possibly be happening to you.

Everyone is different --- this is just my speculation. I hope you find the right answers for yourself by reading Deb's book and the rest of our discussions. (The keyword search feature is very useful.) Oh, and if you haven't already, start keeping a detailed food diary and record your moods.

PS Initially, my doctors and I thought I had irritable bowel. I was slowly becoming a physical wreck until I made the MSG connection.
amh
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ and the rest of ya'll.
For years the doctors thought I had irritable bowel. I took medication before every meal and was fearful of leaving the house. After I started work I literally knew the location of a restroom on every subway stop into Manhattan.

I finally started to read everything I could about MSG and eliminate as much as possible. That was just one of many symptoms I had from eating food with MSG. Now that it is mentioned I do get very depressed and I have never associated that with eating MSG. Thanks for the connection.

AMH
DJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rachill,

For years I suffered with panic attacks so badly, I was unable to work.

Since I have eliminated msg from my diet, my panic attacks are 100% gone. If I do start to experience what I know now as the beginnings of one...I ask myself "what did I eat to bring this feeling on"? The last time, about a year ago, I ate two hostess donuts at my mothers, and then had to drive 120 miles home unable to read the road signs (even with my glasses on!)

I wonder if the place in the midwest that is advertised on TV to help panic attacks knows about
msg. But then again, wouldn't that be too simple?

Hang in there, you have found the right place to help you get your health back! We are all here, with almost the same symptoms, to help new comers like you.......

DJ
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rachill, I have been helping a woman for the past year who calls regularly. Her anxiety attacks and ADD caused her to quit her job and become a recluse. When she would call at first, she spoke very quickly, loudly and nervously. She suspected her prescribed meds were making her worse, but wouldn't consider cutting them out or changing them, but she did decide to eat as our book suggests. Then she would call to say she was really improving and was trying to convince her doctor that MSG was her real problem. He wouldn't take her off the meds, so she changed doctors. Her new doctor was willing to wean her off all meds, and she is a new person. She started work this fall, and when she speaks with me, she is calm and her voice and demeanor is so different. We have cried together with plain happiness. My husband will get cranky if he eats MSG. I get depressed and agitated, along with having IBS symptoms and fierce headaches. Sometimes I get all the symptoms, or one or two. Remember, it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 48 hours for a person to react...depends on the person's chemistry and the form and amount of MSG ingested. Go to our site at www.msgmyth.com to read my story. You will see the similarities to your story.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 7:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A - You have mentioned Tri Salts before to get over a bad digestive reaction to MSG but I called Beyond a Century and they didn't know what I was talking about. Would you please give me the complete name on your Tri Salts and advise where you got it?

I am quite certain I am reacting now as I write from 3 Trader Joe's Non-Sulfured Dried Apricots that I had less than 2 hours ago. The package states that they are just 100% apricots and marked as non-sulfured. I have had these many times before without problems but this is a new package that I just opened. Trader Joe sells Sulfured Dried Apricots too so I wonder if they were placed in the wrong bag --- so strange! I am very confident I didn't eat any other foods that would be a problem. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 8:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ, the brand name is Ecological Formulas...TRI-SALTS: Reagent Grade Bicarbonates...Allergen free...A Biologically compatible formula containing no sodium...200 grams. I'm, sorry, but I thought I was able to buy this through Beyond-A-Century in the past. Ecological Formulas are out of Concord, CA 94518
As far as the apricots, they may be treated with a phosphate instead of sulfites, or some other preservative. Or there is always the possibility of cross contamination. The trays used may have had traces of sulfur dioxide on them from prior use. Mistakes or shoddy production practices happen. What was the color of the product...bright orange or brownish? The treated ones are usually more colorful. Some fruit waiting to be dried are left on pallets and to prevent spoilage are sprayed with chemicals. Unless the product is organic, there is no limit to what can be done to it before it even hits the drying trays.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 9:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb. Here is contact info for Ecological Formulas if anyone is interested: 1-800-888-4585. The Tri-Salts came to less than $10 w/ shipping.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb is right. The untreated apricots as well as other dried fruits at my Whole Foods look pretty awful-brown and not very appetizing. I'm pretty sure the orange-colored ones are treated with sulfites. I have had no luck with any of the dried fruits. They all seem to bother me.
Does anybody have any ideas on a safe calcium supplement besides the Tri-Salts. I already take this powder, but I would need to take several times the amount I do now (1/2 tsp. daily) to equal what my doctor insists I take. Just had a bone scan and I am at the point where I need to start taking Actonel (sp?). Want to check with one other doctor first before I start this drug.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOW produces a calcium carbonate powder that is just that. The problem with taking more than the recommended amount of Tri-Salts is that it also contains magnesium and potassium, which if you took more than the recommended amount of the powder could and most likely would be dangerous overdoses. You can take as much of the plain calcium powder as you need and it is inexpensive. But it would be wise to take cod liver oil for the vitamin D you need, unless you get several minutes of sunshine daily. Carlson's makes a good tasting lemon flavored product that is made of just the liver oil and lemon oil. It should be fine unless the oil has preservatives.
Ruth
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb A.
Would like to try the NOW calcium powder. Do you have the phone number or website? Thanks so much. (I look at those TUMS tablets and I just can't stand the thought of putting them in my mouth.)
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb&Ruth
Deb A I am trying to decide upon a calcium supplement too. You were previously using KAL magnesium/calcium (http://www.nutraceutical.com,http://www.nutraceutical.com}) --- I think. Would you mind sharing with us what made you switch to NOW's calcium?

Ruth - I agree. The thought of TUMS' talcum powder taste is quite a turn off. I think you can find NOW at http://www.totaldiscountvitamins.com/Merchant/nw.htm
The phone # is 1-800-283-2833

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page