Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Salad / salsa

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Salad / salsa « Previous Next »

valerie
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 4:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had any problems with salsa? Since I cannot tolerate salad dressing, I typically put salsa on my salads (it's delicious!) I am a college student and use the salsa at the salad bar in the dining hall so I don't know what is in it. I have gotten mild reactions when I eat the salad and am trying ot determine if it is the salsa or something else.
Also, does anyone have any other ideas for how to top a salad. I love salad and miss dressing! I know oil and vinegar is usually safe but I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas. Thanks, Valerie
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 8:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I blend an avocado with fresh lemon juice and olive oil. I add dry dill and garlic granules and salt and pepper to taste. I sometimes add a pinch of cayenne and sugar, and water it down if it's too thick.
It's sort of a green goddess type salad dressing. I also like to add dry mustard to my typical lemon, lime, orange or tangerine/olive oil vinaigrette (and some sugar or honey if too tart). If you use the sweeter citrus, sugar is unnecessary. Most commercial salsas contain MSG in various amounts. I do fine with the New Organics brand salad dressing. Albertsons carries it. I avoid the blue cheese one, though. They make a prepared mustard, too.
ruth
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 8:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie,
I am very sensitive to most fruits and vegetables, getting really bad headaches from them. Maybe you should start with one ingredient at a time, and keep adding until you get a reaction. The problem for me is the lettuce, which on a salad bar, would probably be head lettuce. I have been told that they are pretty much all sprayed with AuxiGro, which contains MSG. Also, since salad bars are not allowed to spray sulfites on lettuce anymore, it is sprayed on the plastic wrap the lettuce comes wrapped in. I think AuxiGro is absorbed throughout the entire plant, so taking off the outside leaves does no good. I have had to switch to organic lettuce. It is the only lettuce I can eat without getting a headache. If you get passed the lettuce, start adding one food at a time. I stop at the lettuce, as tomatoes, avocados, mushrooms and onions, all give me headaches. A very good dressing is olive oil, fresh lemon juice, not bottled because it has sulfites, sugar, salt, pepper. As for salsa, tomatoes are the fruit with the highest amount of natural glutamates. Try eating a tomato and see. Or maybe you are reacting to tomatoes that are processed with heat, which releases more of the glutamates. Hopefully you are not as sensitive to foods as I am. I wouldn't wish that on you. Just try one thing at a time, and read this board for suggestions and support. Good luck.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 1:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed on the large bag of fresh spinach at Costco it read, "no sulfites". I can get by with the romaine from my grocery store, but not the head lettuce. I read recently that you can remove up to 50% of the pesticides on produce by washing them in a bowl of mild dish detergent solution (like Dawn). Rinse well, though. It's even more effective than the expensive product out on the market formulated for produce. It would have no effect on AuxiGro, however. It just binds with the plant's own protein and can't be washed out.
M-Y
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 2:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Dr. Bonnners liquid soap to wash my fruits and veggies. I have a pump bottle on my sink that
I use for the diluted soap. It is such a safe soap that you can brush your teeth with it and it is very economical also. It comes in several different scents. I have all of them and use them all of the time and they last and last.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to Arm & Hammers website to learn how to wash your food well with baking soda. It's cheap and it works.
jen
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 8:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sometimes just squeeze a lemon over my salad and sprinkle it with a few fresh herbs.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Orange and tangerine juice are nice, too. I really don't miss the heavy commercial dressings now. Now I taste the salad, too.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie,

I have to be careful not to eat raw veggies at the salad bar because I have pyrethrum allergy. Pyrethrum is a natural insectide used on fruits, vegetables and stored grains. Headaches can sometimes be from allergy, as well as from MSG. If you are allergic to ragweed, you may be allergic to pyrethrum too.
Marcia
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 3:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a web site that is interesting with information.
http://www.google.com/custom?q=what+products+use+auxigro&sa=Go&cof=T%3Ablack%3BLW%3A282%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.refdesk.com%2Frd.gif%3BLH%3A94%3BBGC%3Awhite%3BAH%3Acenter%3BAWFID%3A6332576430c078b2%3B

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page