Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Help! What can I eat?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection » Help! What can I eat? « Previous Next »

valerie
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 1:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so frustrated. I realized I was MSG sensitive a few months ago after a scary reaction to a restaurant meal that landed me in the hospital. That was not my first bad reaction to food, and after doing research I finally realized it was MSG.
The problem is I am a college student. I live in a dorm with a refrigerator and a microwave and I do not have access to a kitchen. The dining hall has a good salad bar but I am scared to eat any of the main dishes. I used to be a vegetarian but stopped because all of the soy based products I was eating gave me horrible reactions. I added chicken to my diet and am trying to add fish so I have more to eat but I can't really cook any of this in my dorm room. I am so fed up because it seems like EVERYTHING has MSG in it and there is nothing for me to eat because I cannot cook anything!! Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, Valerie
Laurie M
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 7:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You poor dear!
I know exactly what you are going through. I found out I was allergic to MSG when I was in college. I had to get a doctor's note to get off the meal plan and I moved off campus. The people in the cafeteria knew nothing about my allergy. They even lied and said it was not in their food. I can assure you it was. If you eat at the salad bar eat only your own salad dressing or olive oil and pure apple cider vinegar. If you can get them to cook plain brown rice for you along with hardboiled eggs, fresh chicken without preservatives, I can't think of much else. It depends on how sensitive you are to MSG. You'll have to test one itme at a time. I highly recommend Deb's book. There are a lot of great tips. Move off campus and get a kitchen if you can. Your life will be much simpler. And your stomach will be full. Try a health food store for microwave meals you can eat? Kashi puffed cereal and organic whole milk and Brown cow plain yogurt make a good breakfast. No cooking included.
Good Luck
Laurie
Jen
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 8:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you could buy a rice cooker and then you could cook brown or wild rice, barley, and steam vegetables. Do you have any health food stores near you? A lot of them have cafes with preprepared items that you just need to heat up in the microwave. Just make sure you check the ingredients. Other ideas are cottage cheese, canned tuna, nuts, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Good luck!
Jen
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 9:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jen, Can you do cottage cheese? What kind?
jen
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot handle most brands but I do pretty well with Friendship cottage cheese. I get it at a health food store. The only ingredients are cultured pasteurized grade a skim milk, milk, salt, and vitamin a palmitate.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 3:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valerie,

Here are some ideas. Single variety frozen veggies are usually safe and cook well in a microwave. Fish cooks easily in a microwave. There are soups made by a company called Imagine Foods, Inc. These soups come in containers you store in the fridge once opened. these soups heat up nicely in the microwave. Look for canned tunas in olive oil, these are usually safe - READ LABELS though. Fresh ricotta cheese is great to spread on a piece of Italian bread for a quick on-the-run snack or lunch. If you find a safe milk, I add a little vanilla extract and a tsp of fructose and drink that instead of that instant breakfast junk when I'm in a real hurry. Frozen cooked shrimp save the day. I throw them on a few pieces of romaine lettuce, add some safe black olives, extra virgin olive oil, and squeeze lemon juice on them (only use real lemons), by lunch time they are thawed. Hummus is a great food to eat too. Make your own with chick peas, lemon juice, fresh garlic, pure sesame paste, and olive oil in a blender. It stores in the fridge and you don't even have to cook it:) Dip safe bread in it, and you have meal. Fresh Italian bread from a real Italian bakery is usually safer than bread from the supermarket. If it is good, the ingredients should only say flour, water, yeast, salt. If I think of more ideas, I'll let you know.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 10:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bleeh bleh blah blah blahhh...
Donna B
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 9:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What can I drink besides water? I changed my diet last week and have been drinking only water. Any suggestions on what fruits or vegetables to juice? I ordered the cookbook today.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you like lemon, add some lemon to the water or make lemonade (there's a recipe on this site, I think). I can still drink a little coffee each day. Orange juice that doesn't come from concentrate is OK. My son drinks Indian Summer apple juice (not from concentrate).
Donna B.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. What about tea?
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 1:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real tea is fermented. I have read here that green tea is better than black. I don't drink any real tea or coffee any more; it causes headaches, my main problem, but maybe you could try making a weak version and go from there.
Deb's book says to try decaf teas and coffees. Whole Foods tells me that they roast their beans in the store and that nothing sits around for more than about a week. If I ever get totally symptom free, I might try adding coffee and tea back, but not on an every day basis. I do take a little sip now and then, and I'm satisfied with that.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 2:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol has warned us about some teas, even herb teas that are spiked with MSG, especially if they are "flavored varieties". I stick to organic peppermint teas, hot or cold. We like cocoa made with Pacific Rice Dream rice milk (plain in the blue box). Some of us tolerate organic whole milk.
I buy Florida Naturals orange milk in the paper containers (not from concentrate), and dilute it with almost the same amount of water, add sugar, and a little pure almond extract, in a large pitcher. Sometimes I will add the juice of a lemon. But for the most part, I don't go anywhere without my water bottle that I have frozen half full, overnight. Warning! I have seen on TV recently that it is very important to wash water bottles out every 24 hours in hot sudsy water to prevent some serious critters from growing in them and causing us illness.
shirley
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 4:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you can get a juicer for juice.

Great idea Deb A, rice milk with cocoa.

I made a shake: organic milk, frozen banana, alittle natural sugar. It taste like ice cream.

Coffee is roast, wouldnt that cause it to become like msg?
Laurie M
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 8:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy flash pasturized organic apple cider by the gallon. It is great cold and if you want something warm just heat up a mug in the microwave and sprinkle a touch of cinnamon. I do like to make spiced apple cider too. R W Knudsen had flash pasturized organic pear juice with absolutley nothing added. it is sooo yummy.
Donna B
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You wanted to let you know I have been following a revised diet for one week and feel wonderful. I don't ever want to go back to the way I felt before! Thanks Deb. I am really excited about using the book and sharing with others.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page