Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Arthristis pain

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Arthristis pain « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 6:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELP! I think that I have made the connection that my rhumatoid arthritis is really caused by msg. I was on med.'s for rh. for 5 yrs. till my body would not accept them anymore. So the Dr.'s agreed to let me try something. I have been off all medication except tylenol 3, so I can try and find foods that do not have msg in them. When I am able to keep all msg out of my system I can get away with only taking one tylenol for the day. When I do this I feel really great,and I know I can get it to not needing any at all. But the problem I have is that every time I try to enter a new food to see if I react,I end up reacting and it takes 2-3 days to get through the pain. The Dr.'s are getting close to not helping me out. So I am writing to ask for help, I would like to ask people that are highly sensitive to msg if you could give me some samples of foods you are able to eat. I know that it does not mean that I will be able to eat it but this might buy me some time with my dr.'s Thanks for any help and sorry this is so long. One more thing, does anyone have any problems with their deorderant?
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 7:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous- I am extremely hypersensitive to msg and some other chemical food additives too. It is really hard to avoid msg as it is in almost everything.
Try these suggestions:
Don't ever eat fast food of any kind. Drink only Trader Joe's organic whole milk. Buy only organic fruits and vegetables. Don't drink wine (I used to love it so). Lately even beer has started to bother me. You can buy some organic breads and cookies in health food stores, but be careful that they don't use malted barley! Buy your meats at special stores. Try to find Empire chicken or some other local chicken and call the farm to see how they process it. Same with pork. Beef these days are fed so many chemicals that there is only one place that I can buy it and it comes from a small farm. Make sure that you don't buy fresh seafood in the supermarkets! They are now bathed in chemicals at the dock! You can find frozen shrimp in bags in the frozen food sections of some stores that are just shrimp, no chemicals, but you must read the ingredients.
The best is to ask, ask, ask and read labels thoroughly. Don't trust anyone or anyplace. Unless people are hypersensitive like us they don't understand what we endure. You can also find organic cereals and I even found an organic goat milk yogurt that is safe. It's not easy but avoiding the pain and suffering is worth it.
You can do it......you are not alone. There are many others out there with your (our) problem.
ps....avoid aspartame too. It's another neurotoxin like msg.
Candy Berry
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Anonymous, You've certainly come to one of the right sites for help & understanding. It's interesting that you mentioned deoderant problems. I found that a few years before my msg intolerance raised its ugly head I started getting itchy under the arms. I started trying out different deoderants and I found a tea tree deoderant was okay. That eventually seemed to cause problems but I have managed to find a few that I use (depending upon the weather - I'm in Australia). I have been using a combination of Revlon brand Mitchum Unscented, but I've heard that it is being discontinued, Freedom Body Brand Aluminium Free (it contains zinc) and Edgway Brand Herbal Fresh. What I do is use the safe one whenever the weather is cool or I am at home & change between the others when it is hot. I have found that this helps with my problem. It is interesting, because I recently realised that before I had my msg intolerance under control on a hot day I would have body odour by the end of the day, whereas now I don't seem to have that problem. from Candy
Cassi
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 11:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I highly recommend Debbie Anglesey's book. It's my bible now and every recipe I have tried so far is great and I've tried a lot of them. Even my husband is happy with the meals I make now.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 7:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boy I thought I did alot of investigating to get to where I'm at now. Thanks for the advice I'll get to work to see what local places are around here. Thanks
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 7:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

I react to all antiperspirants because of their aluminum salts, and so far tolerate all deodorants without them.

The zinc deodorant mentioned by Candy sounds like the antiperspirant type, and may be worth a try.
M-Y
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 2:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got some distrubing news today that my friend, who has rheumatoid arthritis, is suffering terrible. Does anyone have information that "Excitotoxins" could be what causes this awful disease or can it be controlled, like Fibromyalgia, by eliminating "Excitotoxins"? Before I talk to her about it I want to have facts or others experiences to back me up. I know for a fact that a lot of FMS symptoms are misdiagnosed as arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis I don't know about.
Thanks
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y. all I have heard is that when there is an excess amount of glutamic acid in the system that the body cannot rid itself up, it can accumulate in various areas, including joints and tendons. Glutamic acid causes cell damage and destruction. People report to me that they had been diagnosed with gout or with arthritis (don't know which kind), and later found that MSG was the real culprit. Tests showed some increase of uric acid, which is an indicator of gout, but whenever there is cell damage, there is often a build-up of uric acid in the area. If a build-up of glutamic acid in the eye is now being linked to glaucoma, I can't see why a build-up of glutamic acid anywhere else can't cause similar cell damage. The only way your friend can know if MSG is hurting her is to convince her to eliminate it for at least a week.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 5:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was diagnosed with rheumatiod arthritis and took medicines for it for 5yrs. Until the medicine was making me so sick, I felt it was my body telling me this is not what it needs. I knew I had a reation to msg in large amounts (headaches)then I found this wonderful site and started watching it and searching on my own. Somewhere I read that rheumatiod arthritis starts out as a food alergy, and if it is caught right away you can prevent any damage. I have struggled to find foods that I can eat but I have not been on any medication except for tylenol 3,and I have been able to take less of this. I also was on Prozac for depression, and one for IBS. I have been able to stop both now for 6 months. I truly believe that my rheumatiod arthritis was caused from the msg or it at least made it worse. But so far all exrays to double check that my bones aren't getting worse seem to check out fine. My dr. for my rheumatoid told me to keep doing what I am doing, because it seems to be working, and if I did ever need to come back I can. NO-WAY! The way I feel is so great compared to being on the medicines they put you on. Tell your friend to start watching this site and find foods that she is sure does not have msg in it. When she finds enough foods to eat, then after 2 weeks she should talk to her dr. and try backing off her medicine to see if she can go without them. I hope you can talk her into this, I feel so much better.There is also Deb.A book that she should get. I haven't ordered it yet but I want to. Good luck.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 8:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, thank you so much fo sharing your story. I would bet that a huge number of people who have been diagnosed with arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are victims of MSG, too. It would be great if you could post your story on bulletin boards or chat rooms of rheumatoid support groups that are presumably on the Net. There has to be millions of people who would benefit from knowing that MSG might be causing these conditions. Before I avoided MSG, I ached everywhere, and my doctor tested me for arthritis. I would suffer constantly with what he thought was tendonitis in several of my joints for years. That all disappeared after I discovered the real culprit. There are so many young people who are being diagnosed with arthritis and I'm confident that they are going through what you did, and for the same reason...our lovely chemical cuisine.
M-Y
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 8:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A and Anonymous,
Thank you so much for your response. My friend is working on getting on line so hopefully she will get to this site very soon.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 3:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y and Deb,

Have you heard anything about cysteine helping those with arthritis? I seem to remember hearing about this years ago. I don't recommend taking cysteine as a supplement, however, it may be related to the fact that in neuroscientific studies, glutamate inhibits the body's ability to deal with cysteine. They compete with each other. If a lack of cysteine or metabolic trouble with cysteine is involved with arthritis, you can bet MSG is probably guilty in causing some trouble. If this is true, and you avoid MSG, you won't need any supplements, cysteine or otherwise.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 5:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an article on cysteine. As it's an amino acid, maybe it would be better obtained through "sulfur containing foods" such as "egg yolks, red peppers, garlic, onions, broccoli, and brussels sprouts" than taken in supplements:

http://www.smartbasic.com/glos.aminos/cysteine.glos.html
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 7:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Considering what isolated free glutamate does to our systems, it stands to reason that the factory produced version of cysteine or l-cysteine, would cause problems. But as Roy suggested, obtaining it naturally from food would have its benefits. I know I react to l-cysteine added to baked goods. Again, Carol, you have demonstrated to us the amazing effects an imbalance of these important substances have on our body. Excess glutamate is responsible for so much destruction, even to our joints, I'm convinced. It was suggested to me awhile ago, that it may inhibit the areas around the joints that produce new cells (cartilage, tendon, etc.)
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 9:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to reiterate what Roy posted in another thread awhile back, according to Dr. Russell Blaylock, "l-cysteine is a very powerful excitotoxin" (go to Roy's January 31, 2001 4:49am post here: http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/8/77.html? )

Direct link to Blaylock article:
http://www.aspartame.com/blayart1.htm

I think that avoiding known excitotoxins is the only way to go. By giving our body what it needs in the most natural form possible (i.e., whole proteins, not artificially separated free amino acids), it should be able to return to a harmonious balance.
Judy T
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S: I've been thinking about you. First, relative to another part of the tree and family reactions...my husband whom I always consider supportive said something that made me anxious, hurt, angry. He said in essence that we don't have as much fun now that I have "health problems". Gees, I had always thought I had a "diet dilemma" and the food industry had the problem. But that perception that I am sick was truly upsetting. Actually, from my point of view, my life is no different from the 'fun' aspect. At restaurants and travelling I take precautions and do lots of planning, but his perception has been, I now know, that I have health problems. Dang.
As to this posting of yours, you are always so sensible and understandable in what you say. There is such a wonderful group of you that help me with the basic understandings and with the verbage I need to talk with others. Thank you.
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy - I had a slightly similar experience, when a man who at first was interested in me informed me that he could not see himself getting involved with me, due to the way I have to be so healthy. He didn't want to "hurt himself" by having to change so much! I had thought that he was kind and understanding about it too, from how he patiently grocery-shopped and cooked with me. I am single (over 4 years now) and it's hard enough finding somebody at my age, let alone somebody who will put up with my "handicap"! Thanks for the kind words, they really do help a lot. :)
Kevin
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 4:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys(and girls),

Woke up this morning and opened the paper to find an article about a local hospital/university study. This doctor is taking a pro-active stance on treating Alzheimer's disease. More importantly it goes on to explain how. Most doctors believe the brain deteriorates first. He is under the thought that the blood brain barrier goes first opening the way for toxins to enter the brain causing the damage.
Please read farther down the article as he explains his theory to the blood brain disorder.
Encouraging news.

http://www.rochesternews.com/0208alzheimers.html}
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 8:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin, Alzheimer's will get lots of bucks and attention until the cause and prevention is clear. This may help us out, too. Thanks for the article. I filed it for future reference.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 10:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be interesting to find out what amyloid protein is comprised of.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 3:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out this link:
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.50324
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 3:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin,
That could be the first shot across the bow. I have been wishing for a long time now, that we could attack that poor old tired out excuse the food industry uses to say that ingested glutamate does not enter the brain. That's the Glutes only mantra. Let's wish these researchers luck, they just might blow that little myth straight out of the water.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 4:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An article in "The Scientist" back in 1990 suggested a link between MSG and Alzheimer's:

"A few years ago, nobody would have pegged excitotoxins as possibly being involved in Alzheimer's disease," says Choi. "The thing that makes it more insidious is that there could be a considerable [time] lag."

p.s. - a good article, but you have to register to read it:

http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1990/feb/pennisi_p1_900205.html
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 5:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm hoping someone might be able to find some answers here. I have rheumatoid arthritis, I have been asking questions on this site before. I was doing good for a long time it seemed then my area was hit with cold weather and my Dr. doesn't want to believe me any more (about msg) so he wanted me to try this new drug. I thought to keep him on my side I would try it. What was interesting is it seems to block the msg, or do something. I have been able to eat foods that I know are loaded with msg that would affect me before and now they are not. I have been very bad this week-end with eating all these foods and I don't intend to keep eating them. I want to keep the amount of arthritis med. down because I usually get very sick on them. But I am thinking if I stay away from the msg and take only small amounts of this medicine then maybe that combo will work for me. Now after all that the medicine that he has me on is Celebrex it has methylphenyl, trifluoromethyl, pyrazol, benzenesulfonamide in it. It's inactive ingredients include croscarmellose sodium, edible inks, gelatin, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide. I know your alarm would go off if you look at this medicine as far as msg, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to what in this could possibly be making me able to eat msg without any side affects (as of yet ) I usually react no later than 24hrs. But since I have been on this I have not reacted to the little things so I have tried the big things with no reactions. I know that this medicine is not good for me but I would like to try and find out any connections that I can. You know the hard part about eating foods you love is to give them up again, I know I have to but you wouldn't believe the cravings that I am going through. I went through this before and now with doing this testing I have to do it again. Oh well, it's what we go through to find answers right?
Carol H
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 5:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, I took that very medication earlier this year. It is an anti-inflammatory drug. That is why I suspect it helped you. Many people on this site feel better if they take things like benedryl, which reduce the histamine response, and inflammation. I recently read in Scientific American magazine that several researchers studying Alzheimers are convinced that inflammation response may have an awful lot to do with the progress of that disease. There may be another link here we are not seeing yet. The website for celebrex states that it directly affects a particular enzyme involved with inflammation. This enzyme may be affected during an MSG reaction too. This is very interesting...
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 7:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See my posting on the MSG Excitoxin related link page for "the rest of the story" ....
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 5:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, again. Found some interesting stuff. Glycine is needed to bind to aspartic (aspartame) and glutamic acid in order to rid the body of these substances via urine. I wonder if we could take this substance or if we all have a defect in this area. Also that in diabetics there are glutamic acid antibodies. It is really connected to diabetes!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page