Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Homemade ice cream

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Homemade ice cream « Previous Next »

Joyce T.
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 8:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't had ice cream for over a year. I really miss it. Since I can still tolerate whole milk, would an ice cream maker work for me? Sorbet doesn't fill this craving.
Laurie M
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Homemade ice cream would work if you can get all the ingredients. Most recipes call for cream or half and half. Make sure they don't have milk solids, thickeners or are ultra pasturized. They also call for cornstarch but white whole wheat is a good substitute. Check out different cookbooks for recipes. Plain old vanilla is usually best. Some have recipes that don't even need a maker to work. I have found that the older the cookbook is the better. They really knew how to cook and they didn't use all the stupid fillers and mixes and fake junk. Good luck. I love ice cream too.
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 5:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally gave up dairy with the intention of adding it back into my diet one thing at a time, but I just can't seem to find a good, safe whole milk. I used to make my own ice cream using strawberries, sugar, and milk or cream. I never measured, just added ingredients until I liked the taste. Put it in a blender and freeze in an ice cube tray or something shallow. If you get headaches, watch out for raspberries and bananas, which have tyramine and can cause problems.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 12:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have cooked together plain Rice Dream Rice milk, sugar and egg yolks until it just thickens. Then I add more rice milk, vanilla and pureed fruit, if I like and freeze. It's very good. I have also made a chocolate one just by adding some cocoa to the mixture before I cook it. I've poured it into popsicle forms for the grand kids, and it tastes like a fudgesicle.
Cassi
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 2:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., I am loving your book! Thank you so much for writing it in the first place. Where would we be without your guiding force in all of this?????
I am reaally impressed that you are actually taking the time to help us here on this bulletin board. I don't always post, but I check it everyday to learn something new and to feel the support of the rest of the wonderful people who do post here all the time. Sometimes it is what keeps me going when no one else will listen to me. Thanks again! The rice milk ice cream idea sounds good. I think you need to write another book!
Carol H
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 4:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get hungry just reading Deb's posts:)
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 6:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi, Carol, thanks for the kudos! So glad you enjoy the book and the recipes, too. It's funny, I just received an e mail from a gentleman who already has the book and he wanted to know if I was writing a new cookbook. If I ever do, it will be one that includes primarily speedy recipes and snack ideas. Many of the ones in the book are already, but it would be nice to offer a book for busy people, parents, and students. Oh, if there were more hours in a day and I had a staff like Martha Stewart's!!!! Ha! Unfortunately, along with my husband, this is a two man show. I absolutely love the work I am able to do, especially when I hear from people who have been helped by the book and this bulletin board. And that means you wonderful regulars who take the time to help all of us here, are part of a very important service to fellow sufferers. I want to tell you all I appreciate you tremendously.
Joyce T.
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 6:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the recipes. Sounds like I will fill my craving soon. This is a great support group, my friends are amazed at all the info that's on this site.
Joyce T.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 5:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Debbie A
I bought some vanilla enriched rice dream rice milk and would like to make the ice cream you described. Would you please give me the exact recipe. Thanks for your help.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 11:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joyce, when I make a lot of things, I don't measure. I can give you an approximation, but can't guarantee the results! Here goes:
In a saucepan, beat together 3 egg yolks, 2/3 c. sugar, and 3 to 4 cups of the rice milk (or whole organic milk for others). Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Just simmer for half a minute...it's just to be sure the yolk is cooked, but don't boil or it will curdle. If it does, just process it smooth again. If you are making chocolate flavored ice "cream", add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cocoa to the sugar before adding the liquid ingredients in the pan. Taste for sweetness, add a pinch of salt, and vanilla if desired. I have added a pinch of nutmeg in the vanilla and it's good, too. Cool, and add to your machine or freeze in a container and beat till smooth, or pour into popsicle molds. Lemon ice can be made the same way. Just mix fresh lemon juice with sugar and water and bring to a simmer to melt sugar. Cool and freeze in machine. I add a little rind, too. Remember to add enough sugar, because freezing it will cut the sweetness some.There's a good recipe for lemon ice in the book, I think under desserts. If you react at all to the product, Joyce, it may be that you are reacting to the carriers of or the vitamins themselves. I use the Rice Dream plain rice milk in the blue box, but can tolerate some of the enriched. You should be fine. Happy eating!
Joyce T.
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 10:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie A, finally found plain rice milk and made the ice cream according to your recipe. It was easy to do and tastes very good. Thanks for your help. Substituted rice milk in a pumpkin pie recipe, it worked fine. Pie didn't set up as well, but didn't matter. It was yummy.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So glad to hear it, Joyce! You have made me hungry!!
Say, have you gotten a price for the meeting room yet? I will be posting more info about the meeting under the right topic.
Stefanie B.
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 11:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought your book because I am trying to get rid of migraines. Anyhow, I just bought an icecream maker because I love icecream and don't want to buy the stuff at the store. So I put some rice dream rice milk, a peeled peach and some honey in a mixer and poured that mix in my icecream maker. It is a wonderful substitute for my cravings. I am new at this, so I have to try out a lot of recipes yet, but I am so thankful for all your ideas!!!
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 6:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stefanie, you are most welcome! And thank you for your great idea for peach "ice cream". Sounds so good, and since we just purchased a new ice cream maker, we will definitely try it. :)
shirley
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone! I am wondering if it is necessary to have an ice cream machine?

Does anyone worry about using too much eggs and butter for cholesterol?

I am asking because I use to be a vegan and my allergies didnt disappear so I am now adding dairy and eggs that have no msg in it.
Marcia
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 3:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eggs are a perfect food if eaten right. When the yolk is broken into the white it causes a bad cholesterol. You can eat eggs boiled, over easy, poached and once they are on your plate and the white is cooked you can break the yolk and it is ok. I use butter sparingly. Just don't ever use margarine or unsalted butter. Unsalted butter usually has natural flavors. Margarine is an artery clogger.
shirley
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 5:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought salted butter was bad cause the salt stay in the butter for who knows how long that is why I use unsalted butter.

I have been breaking my eggs cause someone told me it is better. I use to not break and and have it sunny side up. I will go back to the old ways.

There is a french toast receipe which I am sure they break it? I guess I can break it sometimes cause alot of receipes require eggs.
shirley
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 11:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I got salted butter today. I feel better. I also soaked and drained my dried tomatoes for two days and feel better today.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page