Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Toxic chemical cocktail under the gui...

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Toxic chemical cocktail under the guise of a preservative « Previous Next »

Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 8:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out the following info on TBHQ which is a so called "preservative" like BHT. I wonder just whom the preservatives are meant to benefit. Perhaps the major food chains and their distributors along with the packagers and product manufacturers....and at what expense? Perhaps the cost is human health!
"Glutathione Conjugates of tert-Butyl-hydroquinone, a Metabolite of the Urinary Tract Tumor Promoter 3-tert-Butyl-hydroxyanisole, Are Toxic to Kidney and Bladder

Melanie M. C. G. Peters,1 Maria I. Rivera,2 Thomas W. Jones, Terrence J. Monks, and Serrine S. Lau3
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712 [M. M. C. G. P., M. I. R., T. J. M., S. S. L.], and Department of Biochemical Toxicology, Eli Lilly and Company, Greenfield, Indiana 46140 [T. W. J.]

ABSTRACT

3-tert-Butyl-4-hydroxyanisole and tert-butyl-hydroquinone (TBHQ) are antioxidants known to promote renal and bladder carcinogenesis in the rat, although the mechanisms of these effects are unclear. Because glutathione (GSH) conjugates of a variety of hydroquinones are nephrotoxic, and because 2-tert-butyl-5-(glutathion-S-yl)hydroquinone [5-(GSyl)-
TBHQ], 2-tert-butyl-6-(glutathion-S-yl)hydroquinone [6-(GSyl)TBHQ], and 2-tert-butyl-3,6-bis-(glutathion-S-yl)hydroquinone [3,6-bis-(GSyl)TBHQ] have been identified recently as metabolites of TBHQ in the male rat, we investigated the effects of these metabolites in the male rat. At the highest dose tested (400 µmol/kg, i.v.) 5-(GSyl)TBHQ and 6-(GSyl)TBHQ caused 2-fold increases in the urinary excretion of -glutamyl transpeptidase and alkaline phosphatase, and pigments arising from the polymerization of metabolites were deposited in the kidney. 3,6-bis-(GSyl)TBHQ (200 µmol/kg) was the most potent of the GSH conjugates tested and produced significant increases in the urinary excretion of -glutamyl transpeptidase, alkaline phosphatase, lactate dehydrogenase, and glucose (2-, 2-, 22-, and 11-fold increases, respectively). Alterations in the biochemical parameters correlated with the degree of single cell and tubular necrosis in the S3-M segment of the proximal tubule, as observed by light microscopy. In addition to nephrotoxicity, 3,6-bis-(GSyl)TBHQ increased the bladder wet weight 2-fold and caused severe hemorrhaging of the bladder. The half-wave oxidation potentials of 5-(GSyl)TBHQ and 6-(GSyl)TBHQ were similar to that of TBHQ, whereas the half-wave oxidation potential of 3,6-bis-(GSyl)TBHQ was 100 mV higher than that of TBHQ. The TBHQ-GSH conjugates also catalyzed the formation of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine, indicating that GSH conjugation does not impair the redox activity of TBHQ. Because some chemicals may induce carcinogenesis by a mechanism involving cytotoxicity followed by sustained regenerative hyperplasia, our results suggest that the toxicity of GSH conjugates of TBHQ to kidney and bladder may contribute to the promoting effect of 3-tert-butyl-4-hydroxyanisole and TBHQ in these tissues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received 9/6/95; accepted 1/2/96.
1 Present address: Royal Shell Laboratory Amsterdam, Badhuisweg 3, 1031 CM Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
2 Present address: Laboratory of Drug Discovery Research and Development, National Cancer Institute, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Building 1052, Frederick, MD 21702-1201.
3 To whom requests for reprints should be addressed, at Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712. Phone: (512) 471-5190; Fax: (512) 471-5002; E-mail: slav@uts.cc.utexas.edu.
Deb S
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 6:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry - Thanks for posting this about TBHQ. I didn't understand most of it, other than the fact that it and its metabolites cause cancer.

I just found this one searching for more info on TBHQ, entitled "Effectiveness of Synthetic Antioxidants in Reducing the Oxidative Rancidity Caused by Gamma Irradiation of Fresh Ground Beef." Not only do we need to worry about irradiated foods, but also all of the extra chemicals they "have to" add to those foods to retain their shelf life and consumer appeal:

http://www.abs.sdstate.edu/ae/foodeng/beefrsch.HTM
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 9:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S.-Thanks for your posting. I read it with dismay:

1. They irradiate the food to kill dangerous microorganisms and thereby make it safer for the consumer.

2. Next they add chemicals to counter the negative effects of the irradiation thereby poisoning us.

Seems to me that we, the consumer, are the industry's Guinea pig!
M-Y
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 6:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if "MSG or Aspartame" causes elevated cholesterol or blood pressure?
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 9:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y
MSG definitely can cause high blood pressure. It is actually proven to do so. It is a calcium channel opener as opposed to many of the medications people with high blood pressure take which are calcium channel blockers. Someone taking these medications is defeating the purpose of them by eating anything with MSG in it. Also, Aspartame contains two amino acids - phenylaline and aspartate. Phenylalinine is the metabolic precursor to the amino acid tyrosine, which, if you buy it off the shelf at a "health food" store strictly states it is unsafe for people with high blood pressure. With all the admonishments about using salt in this day and age because so many Americans have high blood pressure, I still continue to be amazed that doctors don't warn against vasoconstrictive amino acids or precursors to them. Also, glutamate has been scientifically proven in many neuroscientific studies to interfere with the body's ability to metabolize cysteine. The links currently between homocysteine - an intermediate metabolite of cysteine - and arteriosclerosis, which doctors point to in recommending Vitamin B6 for those with high blood pressure prompt me to add elevated risk of arterial blockages to the long list of damage done by MSG. I have noticed that some complain about blood pressure drop with MSG. That may be due either to a "true" allergy from a different food, or perhaps - this is just my theory- if your body is good at getting rid of MSG by turning it into GABA quickly, the GABA may lower the pressure, or if not, the direct effect of MSG on histamine may be more of a problem for you than vasoconstriction. When I had that artery blockage near my kidney, the slightest vasoconstriction from MSG shot my blood pressure up dramatically. How many people over 60 are walking around with clogged renal arteries, and eating too much MSG? Way too many, I suspect. The Japanese who eat the most MSG have been notorious for having the highest blood pressure. The Japanese now have done research and found something that helps lower it - taurine.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 4:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol-What a great explanation! You are terrific. Thanks from all of us.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page