Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Safe Vitamins

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Safe Vitamins « Previous Next »

Mary
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 11:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have any of you found a supplier of "safe"vitamins. I am interested in brands for both adults and children. I stopped giving my kids
Flintstones and Garfield ages ago after I found out that they contained aspartame and food dye. However, the new brands I've been buying at the health food shop all contain either hydrolyzed vegetable protein and/or vegetable gum which I understand are also bad. Help! There must be some company out there that makes vitamins without adding all these nasty extras.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 6:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary - Visit the entry made by Judy on 11/26/00 under "Battling the MSG Myth: Sharing Scientific Information: Brain Chemistry". She mentions Twin Labs' Allergy Multi Caps for Allergic & Chemically Hypersensitive Individuals". For the past 3 weeks, I have been taking 2 (am & pm) by removing the contents from the gelatin capsule -- I had read that the gelatin may be a problem for some people. So far, I have done well with them without any of the upsets that I previously experienced with other vitamins. Let us know what else you learn and how you make out!
Mary
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 7:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MeMorris, Thanks for the reference. I am going to do some more research on this matter of vitamins and will report when,and if, I come up with anything. I still need to find a source for children. I suffered from very worrying night time palpitations for a period of several months until I started to take a good vitamine supplement and quit the Starbucks coffee. My daughter suffers from
a fast heartbeat almost immediately after she drinks coke or eats take out fried chicken etc. A
friend of mine whose daughter suffers from the same reaction to certain foods as my daughter sent me to this site and it has certainly cleared up a lot for me. Another little girl down the street suffered an extremely rapid heartbeat in my prescence last summer after she ate one of those alligator green colored Baskin Robbins ice cream. I tuly believe that these reactions are far more common than we imagine. It's just that people and kids especially don't know what to make of them and when the dr. says things check out OK with the heart we just accept it and try to cope.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 8:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary, you might have a very difficult time trying to locate a vitamin for children. Most contain chemicals that make them colorful and sweet, but that also contain glutamate and aspartame. Even the liquids are not free of these additives. Unless your children are not eating well or are eating a lot of processed foods, they should be fine. The vitamin industry is BIG money and people in this country take far too many supplements, according to many doctors and scientists. Only 25% of factory produced vitamins are absorbed by the body, whereas 60 to 65% of the nutrients in foods are utilized by the body. Have large bowls of fresh oranges, bananas, and apples around the house, and also cut up fresh pineapple, carrots, green peppers, cauliflower etc., and have on hand in the refrigerator. Mangoes, grapefruit, and kiwi are popular around our house, along with sulfur free dried fruit. The real problem is not getting enough vitamins in our kids, it's getting them to eat the real sources. I know this is especially tough with teens, who love their certain snacks, as we all do. But my kids, when they began to see me eat apples, or grapefruit sweetened with honey in the middle of the afternoon, would begin to try the same things, eventually. Since we have cut back on dairy, though, I am now using the Ecological Formulas Tri-Salts for my calcium, magnesium, and potassium source. It's $7.95 plus $1.50 shipping. (1 800 888 4585) It contains no fillers. You just stir it into water and drink.
MeMorris, will you continue to keep us posted about the Twin Labs vitamins? For those who know they are unable to get the vitamins they need, that would be great information. Mary, you might consider mixing half a capsule's contents with applesauce for your children. You could get an idea of the RDA for children from other kid's vitamins, and then divide the contents accordingly. Sorry if I tend to lecture about vitamins too much. It's just that time and time again, from the calls and e mail I receive daily, people have shared their bad experiences with factory made vitamins in a great number of the conversations.
Cassi
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 2:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Deb A. I'm expecting, and since I react to all the vitamin pills I try, I was worried about getting enough nutrients from the foods I eat. With the encouragement of several posters here, I decided to tell my doctor that I wanted to get my vitamins from food instead of out of a bottle. He had me visit a nutritionist, and she told me how to eat. I did take folic acid for a couple months, but now I just eat well. I have never felt better in my life! I'm avoiding MSG like the plague, too. I plan to nurse for a long time to avoid those awful formulas. Have you ever read the labels! Check out Pedialyte, some time. You'll be shocked. I think sugar water would even be better.
Judy
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 7:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi: Carol Simontacchi's book, Crazy Makers, is really great for expectant mothers. My daughter-in-law and son are really excited about the sections on what to eat when pregnant and also about nursing. My other adult children like it to help them with their youngsters (and themselves, too, but it's not easy to change when you're an adult...better to start the youngsters out right).
Cassi
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 10:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will definitely look for the book, Judy. Thanks! I plan to make sure that my own children eat better than I did a few years ago. You're right. Best to start them early.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 10:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The book "Crazy Makers" is available at this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1585420352/reviews/1585420352/107-4300245-8599737#15854203525000
Judy
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy: You are amazing.
Cassi
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Roy. I'll check it out. By the way, I love your book, Deb A. It is so easy to understand and has given me all the basics in understanding MSG and how to exist without it. No easy job! The recipes I've tried so far are so good. I love the Tortilla recipe, the one that makes a ton to freeze. I just made holiday crackers by rolling the dough real thin. Then I brushed the circles with beaten egg, and sprinkled sesame and poppy seeds on top before I baked them at 325 degrees until they were crisp. They are delicious. I sprinkled a tiny bit of salt on top, too. Any good ideas for a spread or dip, anyone?
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 6:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where is the list of other names for MSG on this site. I read it once, and now can't find it.
M-Y
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 1:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://nomsg.com/
http://www.msgmyth.com/
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 4:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

Here's a link to a list of hidden sources of MSG:

http://www.truthinlabeling.com/hiddensources.html
Deb S
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 8:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the direct link to the hidden names list on this site:

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 7:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had shared with you all here on 12/19/00 (see above) that I started taking TwinLab’s Allergy Multi Caps “for Allergic & Chemically Hypersensitive Individuals."

Today, I found out that the vitamins contained the following forms of ASPARTATE: Maganese Aspartate, Copper Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate, Potassium Aspartate and iron aspartate. Aspartate is an excitotoxin as explained at http://www.dorway.com/price2.txt and in Blaylock’s book entitled, Excitoxins – The Taste That Kills. How could Twin Lab say that these vitamins are OK for the chemically sensitive? They are certainly off my list.

I certainly hope that none of you have started this vitamin!!!!! (Debby A. – You warned us about vitamins! You are right again!)

Why didn’t I question this before!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid. Before I beat myself further, I need to stop taking these. I guess cold turkey is the only way. If anyone has advice or further comments on this, please post here.

ME
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 7:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BOYCOTT TWIN LAB!
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 9:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's highly understandable that when a person feels poorly or when suddenly one is told they have to stop eating a lot of various foods because of their MSG sensitivity, that vitamins are the last thing they feel they should give up, too. But the more I read, such as that article in the latest Better Homes and Gardens, which basically says we do not need vitamins, and that we need to eat good food, which we are doing now if we are MSG sensitive, we are better off than the average American, who does eat everything and anything. The Europeans and Chinese laugh at us for the amount of supplements we pop as a nation, and our RDA for vitamins is many times higher than theirs. ME, glad you found out now about those Twin Lab vitamins!
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 3:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ,

It almost seems like TwinLab is trying to cause reacions with their "allergy" formula, not avoid them:

http://stores.yahoo.com/vitanet/twinalmulcap1.html
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 5:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It will be interesting to see what Twin Lab has to say re my concerns. I'll post it here when I get it!
Deb S
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 6:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just feel like venting a bit on the subject of vitamins. In a phone conversation with my mother, I mentioned I've been feeling tired lately. She asked if I've been taking vitamins. (I should have said "sure" in retrospect.) I said no, that as I've mentioned before the fillers and binders give me problems. She said almost accusingly, "it seems like the more you avoid things the more things bother you! Do you see anything wrong here?" So I was put on the defensive, saying that before I started avoiding things I was having almost constant migraines and there is no going back. Then she attacked me for not taking vitamins, concluding that that is probably my whole problem right there, that she and her husband are two of the most healthy people she knows because they swallow handfuls of vitamins and supplements. And it is a fact that you *cannot* get what you need from food, that by the 1930s all the soils they grow food in were depleted and you can't put that stuff back into the soil.

This from the woman who insists that we *need* gelatin... And then she came up with "it could also be caused by depression." I said that isn't it, but that not feeling good and not being able to eat anything can certainly be depressing. Why do I even try to tell her anything? I wasn't even asking for advice. But to be accused and belittled by someone who should be supportive and understanding sure doesn't do much for my self-esteem. :(
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, at first, my mom was the same way...though not quite as outspoken. In fact, at one Thanksgiving dinner, after I asked if the gravy was safe and made from scratch, she said, of course. Later, after many trips to the bathroom and a raging headache, I asked her again with my sister present, how she had made the gravy. Her answer was the same, and then my sister said, "Mom, adding Lipton onion soup to the batch is NOT from scratch, to which my mom answered, "Well, it's HOMEMADE!" Mom had known, but was still thinking that my sensitivity was in my head until that point. Gradually, she has come around. But it is toughest when who we hope are our strongest allies, don't support or believe us. Have you had your thyroid or iron levels tested lately, Deb? Are you getting enough protein? Be sure to eat lots of oranges, and grapefruit, and other good stuff. Show her the article in last month's Better Homes and Gardens. It basically says tests don't show that extra vitamins make any difference. Scientists did suggest that some elderly people may need more vitamin C and E. And there is a dispute that milk gives us enough absorbable calcium. The form we get from vegetables and fruits is much more important. Tests done on teens who gulp down gallons of milk have shown them to still have a low calcium level. Go figure that one out. And cows seem to do just fine without milk, living primarily on grass! Deb, you may be feeling some of the winter blahs. I always do. I gain some weight, feel more sluggish, and pray for signs of spring. Thank goodness we have had some beautiful, sunny, warmer days this past week! Hang in there. I think getting together in Reno or Las Vegas might be good just for the fun of it...knowing we are with people who are struggling the way we are. I do like Reno better....it's so pretty there...mountains, Tahoe, but Las Vegas would be good, too. Why don't we aim for September of 2002? We could possibly do it sooner, but we are extremely busy this year.
Deb S
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 9:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for understanding, Deb. It means so much when it seems like the rest of the world thinks you are "out to lunch" or just trying to get attention. I haven't been tested yet. The doctor whose name I was given is not taking any new patients, so I'm at square one. I felt so tired and out of it yesterday that I broke down and bought some Geritol Complete multi-vitamin & mineral tablets (I think that's what Tom Fernstrom takes) just to get some iron into my system. I read somewhere that your body uses iron and phenylalanine to make thyroid hormone. I keep forgetting to take my temperature when I first wake up, but the couple of times I've taken it after I've been up for awhile it has been 96.6/96.9 (underarm). At 1:30 p.m. it was 97.8 taken by mouth. By the way, my mother has been on thyroid meds for many years. Her doctor has reduced her dosage several times but she still needs to take some. No doubt there is an inherited predisposition.

I'm excited about the idea of a gathering in Reno in September 2002. It will take me that long to plan and save up for it. Luckily for me, it's within driving distance (I don't trust airplanes).
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 12:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, of all the vitamin labels I have read so far, The Geritol Complete seems to have the least amount of "suspicious" ingredients. I think I was wondering about "silicon yeast" or some such thing, but the rest seemed pretty safe. Please let us know how you do with these, okay?
My doctor suggested using a cast iron pan for some of my cooking to get extra iron. So, I have been doing that. I've read elsewhere that it does help. Strange, huh?
I called a few of my friends who once served with me on the NoMSG board (I stepped down from the vice presidency last fall), and they would love to join us. Also, I just spoke with Jack Samuels and his wife, of the Truth In Labeling Campaign, and they will be there if the date doesn't conflict with something else. I know he would take some time to answer questions about his work and how things are coming along in that camp. This should be fun.
Shirley Harvey, one of the past NoMSG newsletter editors and former board member, said she will try to make it and so will Kaye Wanke, most recent, but now former hotline person for NoMSG. In fact, her daughter lives in Reno, and sends her a ticket to go there each year. She is excited to participate. This will be reunion some of us and a wonderful opportunity to meet our friends from this posting board. Hopefully, others visiting here but not posting, will consider joining us, too. It will be a most helpful time as we brainstorm and share vital information. When we have a time and place set, we'll post it on our homepage, and provide a place where people can let us know if they will be attending. This will give us an idea of how many to plan on. Depending on the size of the hall that Judy finds, we will probably have to limit the number if there is greater interest than we now anticipate.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 9:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People who take supplements should also watch out for glutamine:

http://www.optexinc.com/glutaminerisks.htm
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S,

I must have missed your above posting from 2/5/01 where you talk about the comments of your Mother. When she stated, "And it is a fact that you *cannot* get what you need from food, that by the 1930s all the soils they grow food in were depleted and you can't put that stuff back into the soil," it reminded me of a tape I was sent and listended to once by Doctor Joel Wallach.

He is the author of "Dead Doctors Don't Lie" and has some interesting theories about nutrition and today's eating habits. If he could ever be brought onto the anti MSG bandwagon, he might help make an impact. His tape is very convincing and he has a neat delivery. He can be contacted at this website:

http://www.american-nutrition.com/
su
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 4:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ME, The Allergy Twin Labs is AWFUL!! I was giving it to my husband , myself and my son. I kept getting migraines and puffy eyes. My son said "these vitamins make me tired, and my stomach burns, mom". Then, my husband said ever since I'd been giving him them he'd had weird chest pains throughout the day, he thought it was the coffee but after 2 days of no coffee he still had them. I was so alarmed! I stopped the vitamins. Sure enough. Everyone is fine, and happy again. Now, that is scarey!!!
Judy T
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 7:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

su: Interesting. I took Twin Lab Allergy vitamins for quite a time. While they never helped me, I never had any bad effects. Seems we're all different in how we react to different substances.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 9:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Su - Thanks for sharing that with us!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page