Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Trouble finding milk

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Trouble finding milk « Previous Next »

CD
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 9:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've noticed that I react to most of the milks I have tried. I'm expecting, so I need the calcium. What can I drink instead or is there a calcium supplement that is safe? I've read about dolomite powder, but I fear the possibility of lead in it. I tried a few commercial calcium pills, but I reacted. I know I do better with whole milk than low fat, but I wish I didn't get nauseous from it. My husband says he can't believe that whole organic milk is safer, and that it's too expensive. But I plan to buy some this week just to test it for myself. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy mine from either Trader Joes, or from Whole Foods (aka Fresh Fields). The milk from Whole Foods isn't even homogenized and it comes in those old-fashioned glass bottles. I'm allergic so I have to boil it. My boyfriend drinks it straight, though. He gets asthma attacks when he eats MSG, but he tolerates the Whole Foods milk just fine.
Deb S
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 4:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might try diluting the whole organic milk with some distilled water. I find it goes down much better that way, and I don't have to worry about extra calories. It also goes farther and costs less that way. Some of us have reacted to Organic Valley ultra-pasteurized milk, and are suspicious of their pasteurized milk as well, which seems to last well beyond its expiration date.
CD
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 7:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a wonderful site and bulletin board. I can't believe you responded so quickly. Thank you both so much for the milk information. I can get milk at Trader Joe's so I may try that first. I like the idea of diluting the milk with water. I want to eat right, but I don't want to get fat.
Thanks again and happy holidays to you.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 8:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trader Joe's is the way to go as far as I'm concerned and also Whole Foods milk in the glass bottles. Since I am VERY sensitive to milk, I can say with certainty that these two are okay.
I suggest you also visit:
http://www.notmilk.com
for a real good discussion of milk. You WILL find it interesting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page