Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

NEED RECIPE SUBSTITUTION!!!!!

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » NEED RECIPE SUBSTITUTION!!!!! « Previous Next »

TJCHASER
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a wonderful recipe for chicken that calls for MSG! I can't use it any more because I am allergic to it. Does anyone know a substitution I could use in place of the MSG? If you do e-mail me at TJCHASER@AOL.COM! THANKS!!
Deb S
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since MSG is not a true spice and does not actually have a flavor of its own, but rather it acts as a drug and stimulates your taste receptors and possibly brain cells thereby creating a perception of increased flavor, you don't need to substitute anything for MSG called for in ANY recipe. If any adjustment is needed at all, it might be to add a bit more salt to replace the sodium component of monoSODIUM glutamate.

Try cooking that wonderful recipe by simply omitting the MSG, possibly increasing the salt called for by maybe one-quarter to one-half of the amount of MSG called for, and watch out for other ingredients that may be hidden sources of MSG. Let us know how it turns out! :)
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 8:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tj: I use the marvelous and tasty spice called "herbes de provence". Yum! Try it. Most supermarkets carry it. It is much tastier and healthier than msg......its just a mix of delightful herbs! Great on chicken and pork too.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 12:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am presently reading "Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth Cookbook" by Weise and Frederiksen. The recipes sound simple, healthy and delicious. Most appear safe for us NoMSGers but of course, be careful of those with soy sauce, mushrooms and the like.

Anyway, they state you can make your own "herbes de provence" by mixing: 1 tbs. each dried thyme, chervil, tarragon and marjoram;1 tsp each dried oregano, rosemary, summer savory and fennel seed; 2 Mediterranean bay leaves, crushed --- Mix thoroughly, store in airtight container and use sparingly.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 8:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....and dried violets are added too!
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 3:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought herbes de provence from 2 sources and the ingredients contained all you listed, MEMorrisNJ, plus dried lavender blossoms.
It's good in meats, stews, fish, white sauce, and crumbled and sprinkled on buttered popcorn, according to the label on the bottle.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 8:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb's right...that's dried lavender blossoms...not violets. Sorry.
Kathy
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 6:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any herbs will add flavor to your chicken--I use basil and thyme a lot. You can buy chicken seasoning and the ingredients are listed on the jar. I don't think msg is in it, but I am paranoid, so I just add my own herbs. Sometimes I add rosemary, but you can experiment. The one thing to remember is you don't need msg.
Melissa
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 2:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All these herbs are great - there is a brand of herbs called "the spice hunter" who also has a steak and chop blend - as well as organic spices and conventional - but I use these quite a bit. They have a dried garlic powder that is nothing more than just garlic. You only use a tiny amount.
I have also grown an herb garden to try to save money on herbs - and I get exotic spices from our local grocery store bulk section - I've made some red curry and Indian type spicy chicken dishes with these and it's delicious.
If you get Food TV or Discovery, you'll notice many chefs are educated now about msg and if you've ever noticed the recipes are mostly simple basic fresh ingredients, or what I call "safe". I also like the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook. There are numerous recipes which do not contain products with additives etc. There are still a few ingredients in a few recipes which I either leave out or substitute, and a few recipes I just skip, but for he most part it's great for those of us avoiding msg. Her show also gives me good ideas for old fashioned home made foods and treats as well. You just have to skip some of the real exotic expensive stuff if you are on a budget, or substitute.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 10:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any good steak marinade recipes? All of mine call for soy sauce, which, of course, we no longer have in the fridge. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
shirley
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 6:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Deb A's book there is a receipe for soy sauce.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 10:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not aware of any recipe for soy sauce! Wouldn't know where to begin!
If you mean marinade sauces, yes there are some. :)
Lately, I have made an easy marinade by squeezing either a lime, lemon, or half an orange into a large bowl. Then I add 1 to 3 T. of olive oil (opt.) Then I start adding all kinds of seasonings and herbs that I like, from 1/4 to 1 t. amounts, depending on taste. I like a pinch of thyme, fresh minced or dry garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, sugar or stevia, and even a little dry mustard. A little dry cumin is good along with some tarragon on chicken, especially. I mix the seasonings and taste and adjust, and then I add the steak or chicken, and toss well to coat, using my hands. Refrigerate and marinate 1 to 2 hours.Often I have just popped them on the grill after coating. I do the same type of seasoning for sliced potatoes, omitting the citrus juice. Then I bake on a foil lined cookie sheet at 425 degrees until golden.
Shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Deb A, I meant soy sauce alternative.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 3:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know, shirley! You gave me a good chuckle. Thanks! :)
Evelyn H.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 9:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. We'll give that a try.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page