Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Promotion of MSG

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Promotion of MSG « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 8:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Today's New York Times (Page A-3), there is a article entitled, "In China, MSG is No Headache, It's a New Treat" written by Elisabeth Rosenthal. It will outrage you! Here are some excerpts:

"During MSG Nutrition Promotion Week this September, an article in the China Light Industry News said: Chinese pharmaceutical food scholars believe it has health-enhancing and brain supplementing effects. It can strengthen the appetite of the old, the physcially feeble, pregnant women and children with poor appetite thereby enhancing nutrition and encouraging improved health. ........ For now almost all of the 650,000 tons of MSG produced in China is sold domestically for use in cooking. But look out: the China Fermentation Industry Association is holding more promotional activities, and its manual suggest myriad uses --- in food processing, pharmaceuticals, industry and agriculture. Feed it to the pigs -- it will make them grow fatter quicker! I know that not too many people now use it in American, said Ms. Wang, noting that China hopes to enter the WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION soon. WE CERTAINLY HOPE TO OPEN THE AMERICAN MARKET."

Sounds like a serious threat to me.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Feed it to the pigs, it will make them grow fatter", huh?....it's already making Americans fatter! Wonder how the Chinese will fare as more of the "western" type grocery stores and highly processed fast foods and restaurants become more available. A large percentage of the Chinese people still rely heavily on freshly made homestyle meals full of fresh vegetables.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 4:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This article says that MSG is used by scientists to make laboratory animal fat for research purposes:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/msg.html
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 6:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ajinomoto of Japan was way ahead of the Chinese when they began their "nutrition lectures" to "reducate" the public regarding their negative views of MSG ten years ago. If, for example, you see anything written by a certain Ms. Kristen McNutt, run the other way. She was one of the early industry plants who used her position and influence in the nutrition field to convince us that MSG is good for you. Passing off MSG propaganda as helpful nutrition advice is, unfortunately, a very old trick for the MSG industry.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 7:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Just as recently as last year, someone e mailed us that they had a copy of a pamphlet that was sent to their school dietician. It stated that by using more MSG in the students' meals, they would eat more of the "good for you foods", by pepping up the flavors. And we have been told the glutamate industry lobbyists send similar pamphlets to nursing homes urging cooks to use more MSG to "improve their appetites" so that residents will eat more needed nutritious meals. Imagine what it is doing to sensitive individuals in juvenile detention and correctional facilities who suffer from behavioral and rage disorders, depression, etc.
I think, if we could alert more parents about the ADD, ADHD, autism, seizure, asthma/ excitotoxin connection, we might get somewhere faster. Kids are being written off as developmentally slow or even handicapped, when in fact, many of them are serious victims of the food they eat. Any suggestions of how we can better reach parents and educators? After Christmas, a friend and fellow sufferer and I are going to start work on a pamphlet that can be downloaded for people to print up and distribute. Anyone who would like to submit paragraphs or ideas they would like to see included, please send them to avenger@msgmyth.com
Thanks!
Judy
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 3:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebA: One way to reach parents is to have pamphlets that include the major national/international organizations that represent the issue at hand. For example, for ADD/ADHD you need the support of the CHADD organization which is THE organization recognized by educators and parents internationally. Likewise there is a national organiation of parents representing special education children and issues there. And there is NAYEC, the recognied organization for early childhood education...same thing. I don't know the national asthma organization, but I bet there is one. My point is that, these organizations need to be part of the formation/planning of the brochure. A brochure without the juried input from nationally recognized organizations and without their support which also means a research base, then a brochure won't go through the school system and won't get to parents through organizations. And you wouldn't want them to actually because every nut would have a brochure and pass it out at conventions or schools. I suggest that writing a brochure without collaborative efforts with other organizations is like whistling in the wind. You have to have author credibility to be taken seriously. I know. It is a chicken-egg situation. Without a lot of research... . However you do have proponents, including nutritionist Carol Simontacchi and others you mention as being mentors and the doctors who have already published in the public arena on this subject. What do others think?
Judy
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 4:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received my copy of Atlantic Monthly, the January 2001 issue. One of the lead articles is titled "Why McDonald's fries taste so good".! Wow, I am excited. The subtitle is (for you Carol) A trip to northern New Jersey, the home of natural flavors... While I haven't had time to read and absorb the article completely, it looks like a guy on the right track. His name is Eric Schlosser. He doesn't mention msg but focuses on 'natural' and 'artificial' flavoring. At the end it says, "See the online verison of this article at www.theatlantic.com/flavor for an Atlantic Unbound interciew with Eric Schlosser on the subject of his new book, Fast Food Nation." After the Christmas Day passes, I hope you can buy the magazine or read it online. I hope he's one of our heroes.
Merry Christmas and to all a Good Night
Deb S
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 2:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy -- I just read the online version at:

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/01/schlosser.htm

Sorry, he's no hero... unless you are one of the "flavorists" he writes about. Not once are MSG, hydrolyzed protein, or autolyzed yeast mentioned. However, he does describe the basic flavors to include "umami" ("a taste discovered by Japanese researchers -- a rich and full sense of deliciousness triggered by amino acids in foods such as meat, shellfish, mushrooms, potatoes, and seaweed"), which is the Japanese word for MSG. And many of the new flavors are made by "[t]he development of new fermentation techniques, along with new techniques for heating mixtures of sugar and amino acids, [which] have led to the creation of much more realistic meat flavors."

So this article is really an advertisement for the modern wonders called "natural flavors," without which most processed foods today would be bland and unpalatable.
Judy
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 4:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb S: Darn; so disappointed. We are still in the throes of Christmas so I haven't read the article. Thanks for the report...so sad.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 9:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big corporations are spending outrageous sums of money on reports to help them corner the market on food for additive addicts around the world:

"Select key players, including, Ajinomoto, Burns, Philp & Company, Bush Boake Allen, Crompton & Knowles, Cultor, Chr. Hansen Holding, Danisco group, Gist Brocades, McCormick & Company, Hercules Inc., Inter national Flavors & Fragrances, Monsanto, Opta Food Ingredients, SKW Trostberg, Universal Foods Corporation and others, have been discussed in detail."

http://204.176.107.252/product/display.asp?ProductID=223787&ProdTypeID=2&SID=74328989-190671535-255017266&SearchReturnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emarketresearch%2Ecom%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Easp%3FSID%3D74328989%2D190671535%2D255017266%26categoryid%3D%26SortBy%3DR%26Query%3Dmonosodium%2Bglutamate%26view%3Dfull%26Page%3D1%26filter%3DA%26forcestat%3D%26QType%3D%26BoolQuery%3D%26Publisher%3D%26Title%3D%26Published%3D%26UPrice%3D%26LPrice%3D%26Categories%3D%26SearchIn%3D%26catName%3D
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 4:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I loved the $3,800 dollar price tag and the ability to add that report to your shopping cart. It killed me :) LOL
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please check out this horrible article by Dr, Dean Edell!

http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=50602&src=n2

I can't think of anything that I've read that is more insensitive to the plight of others....and from someone so well known in the media. Shame on him! The sad things is that he is a typical representative of the medical community.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry,

Mean Dean feels the same way about nutrasweet:

http://www.healthcentral.com/DrDean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=8134
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 10:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonder who promoted him to write his articles that support huge interest groups? If he wasn't paid, then his opinions are based on his need to be popular...sad either way. He's not done any real research...just based his opinion on inadequate and highly questionable tests. I'm sick of the continual referral to asthma or face burning....it just serves to gloss over more insidious issues such as how this stuff is affecting a whole new generation of kids with worse neurological and physical problems than the generation before them. And what is he talking about when he says that MSG is not made in factories? And where is his evidence that the Japanese or the Chinese do not react to MSG? What people don't realize is that Japan has been producing and using MSG and so has Taiwan for many years...but mainland China is just being introduced to the factory produced product...it will be interesting to see how they fare.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 2:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a scientist, I find his writing the most ridiculously inane babble I have ever read. He ought to take writing classes as well as nutrition classes. He's annoying, and hardly worth our time. There are plenty of real doctors creating a new kind of medicine where they understand how much damage glutamate does to the brains of stroke patients, and A.L.S. patients, as well as others. He just isn't one of them.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 10:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy-That's a great handle you've given the poor misinformed doctor. Next time I see him or hear the name Dr. Dean Edell....I'll think of him as "Mean Dean"! Thanks.
Marcia
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 3:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday I heard Dr. Dean Edell telling that according to Berkley University MSG sensitivity and the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome doesn't exist. My friend also heard it and now in talking to her she says she is having doubts about what I have told her. I wonder why Berkley is such an authority on MSG and why Edell took their word for it? If Dr. Edell is so misinformed why would I believe anything else that he tells?
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 2:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, from zoology, to surgery, to opthamology to radio talk show medicine. Nowhere in his illustrious resume does it say that he studied anything resembling nutrition. Very rarely does a doctor in this country have to get more than passing acquaintance with nutrition and food biochemistry. I'd rather trust the nurses like we have posting here. I know for a fact that nurses get at least a semester of extremely intense nutrition class. I know this because I took the very same course required of nursing students at Rutgers. There are plenty of doctors and nurses out there who really get to know their patients and find that eliminating MSG and aspartame helps them. They definitely do not agree with this guy. I can't believe people think they should listen to this "Doctor" , when with a little effort, they could simply try living without unnecessary food additives for two weeks. It doesn't cost a thing to try to feel better. You don't have to eat a certain food, just eliminate the junk. If a doctor is against this, and what doctor could be against drinking water instead of diet soda? Or eating fresh vegetables instead of Doritoes or Kentucky Fried Chicken? It makes me extremely suspicious. We should find out who subsidizes his website. Is it the pharmaceutical company that now owns Monsanto?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wouldn't be great if we could do some sleuthing? Maybe after "The Fugitive" or "Erin Brockovitch", there could be " Scandal in your Pantry" or The Poison Pushers", or "On Deaf Ears"....hmmmmmm...maybe it's time to write a script! :)
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 4:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He sure is one suspicious "doctor", that Dean Edell! He is most certainly promoting someone or some entity that is very pro MSG. No doubt about it.
We should write to his producers and the network he appears on and complain. Imagine having such an insensitive and misleading oaf as their spokes doctor!
Anyone know his affiliations?
Kevin
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a little amazing that he has a big old web site that you can not write to him? I was going to tell him that he is off base but as I went through the site there is no way to reply to him?
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 3:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding Dr. Dean's inaccessibility: isn't it a fact that the people who are always the ones doing all the talking, rarely learn anything new?
Marcia
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 4:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wrote to Dr. Edell and sent him some websites that I told him would be benefical for him to read. I also told him he should make an effort to talk to MSG sensitive and suffering people. Who knows he just might read msgmyth. I also sent him Dr. Russell Blaylocks interview and told him that Dr. Blaylock is a neurosurgeon.
I got his e-mail address from his website.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 2:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just found a reference that has to do with a good doctor. Unfortunately, he shares the same first name as Mean Dean. His name is Dr. Dean Ornish, (not to be confused with Edell) and in his New York Times bestseller, he cites Dr. Olney's study and states that since sodium has not been proven to raise blood pressure but the jury is still out on the safety of glutamate, he advises patients to avoid free glutamate containing foods like MSG pending further data. Dr. Ornish was the personal physician to President Clinton and really knows his stuff. His book is called Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease. Since he advises avoiding MSG, I am really not all that surprised at the success of his program. I really recommend his book. It is to understanding cardiovascular disease what Dr. Blaylock's book is to understanding brain function.
Adam
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 7:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother and I were at the book store recently and we ran across a newer book called "The Crazy Makers: How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children"
by Carol Simontacchi-it is really great and could be very useful for parents that want to help their kids grow and develop well, (also to show to their Pediatricians). Check it out.....
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 4:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The World Health Organization (WHO), in cooperation with UNICEF (the United Nations Children's Fund), is promoting the use of MSG by children in developing countries:

"The WHO approaches in this field are worked out by the Nutrition Programme, as part of a global initiative .... Several preventive interventions are being applied, including the .... fortification of certain food items (sugar, monosodium glutamate, tea, etc.)"

http://www.who.int/pbd/pbl/act.htm#Technical_cooperation

(scroll down to the "Vitamin A" section of the site)
LL
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they saying they are going to add MSG to certain food items? In what ways is MSG beneficial? How do you find out about all this info??
Steve
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 9:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like they're fortifying MSG with Vitamin A for some reason- MSG can help cause blindness, AFAIK.

They should also be fortifying it with Taurine. Then again, MSG as a flavor enhancer should just be outlawed.
Connie
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 5:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,
Please explain your statement, "MSG can help cause blindness"...I've not heard this before. Also what does AFAIK mean?
Thanks.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 6:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connie,

Excess glutamate is said to cause retinal damage per the links below:

http://www.mcg.edu/news/2000NewsRel/diabetes.html

http://pcg.wustl.edu/Neuroweb/romano.htm
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 8:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Outrageous! Excellent references Roy. Thank you.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 9:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The use of MSG is encouraged because it makes basic and cheap foods (as sent to developing countries) tastier, thus kids will be more likely to eat them...same reason the glutes encourage it to be added to dishes in nursing homes, prisons, and hospitals. What a crime.
You know, I'm sure the glutes know about this site and NoMSG, and monitor them all the time. It might be easy for them to read about the supplements we keep trying in a desperate attempt to "get better", and think we are just fine. But the truth is, living like this is not normal or fun...it never will be (though time makes it easier) and it infuriates the heck out of all of us...to have to be constantly vigilant is tiring and sometimes depressing. Yesterday, I did what I guard against doing, because it brings me down so low. I sat there and began to think of all the millions of unsuspecting people who are being subjected to painful tests, treatments, and who are living in darkness about the food they are putting in their mouths. I saw kids and adults confused by their own behavior, health, and moods,.. parents frantic because their child has just been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD or autism. I pictured elderly people deteriorating in nursing homes with stomach problems and pain they never had at their own homes, and worst of all, I see babies developing serious endocrine conditions that will develop in the years ahead of them like a time bomb. Sorry, guys...don't mean to bring you down. As long as we put others first and give what we can to reach those willing to listen, we can help more and more people...the ripple effect is working. Our book sales keep growing and now we are getting people ordering 10 books at a time to distribute to doctors, friends and family. (big discounts for that!) :) So that is encouraging, not to mention the fact that Amazon asked to carry our book without our having to apply and they reordered 20 books in the last month and a half..we make very little money on the books they buy from us, but we don't mind at all...the deal is that people are THINKING and they are reading about MSG in magazines and newspapers, and on all the sites that weren't there just a little while ago, thanks to many of you people. I guess it is always good to get those "downers" once in a while...makes us want to fight the battle with a little more focus and zeal! Let's be sure to discuss ways we can do that in Reno. Sorry this is so long...I AM really grateful to have you wonderful co-workers posting here, and I am also very grateful to God and to the individuals who helped me when I was in the dark, myself. I got my life back, too, thanks to them. Struggle is okay, as long as you are not alone. :) Thanks again!
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 9:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An hour or so ago, I wrote to the World Health Organization (WHO) via email and expressed concern about MSG being used as Roy brought to our attention above. Here is the response I received shortly afterwards from WHO via email:

"The issue you raise is not approrpiate as in the vitamin A deficiency treatment the MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE quantities that are "supplemented" in the daily diet intake are calculated not to interphere with any neurotransmitter amine. The Vit.A deficiency leads to irreversible blindness, and to counter this the reported interventions have been applied for ages since now, with no problem ever reported; moreover these interventions are appropriately monitored, so to be aware of any side effect that could incurr, and blindness is not one of them ever recorded, again for the quantities used in the vit.A deficiency protocols."

Perhaps, others may want to debate this reply?
(You may mention the reply was sent to me, Michelle Esposito, today.)

Send to: mariottis@who.ch
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 5:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations on The MSG Myth being available at http://www.amazon.com, Deb A!!! This is wonderful for all of us because it means that the message about excitoxins will get out to more people.
I am going to donate a copy of the MSG Myth to my local library. Perhaps, others will consider doing the same.
shirley
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is so exciting! The more people know the more safe we will feel. If you donate it, it can fall apart cause it is a spiral book.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 5:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is great about Amazon, is that we can go there and also write reviews as MEMorris and I have done.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page