|Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 7:46 pm: || |
Hi there. I have bought myself a Medic Alert bracelet to wear because of my MSG Intolerance. I am in Australia & would like your ideas on what I should have engraved on it. My reaction to MSG is usually 6 hours after ingestion with diahhorea, itching/swelling & twice I have had anaphylactic shock with a severe drop in blood pressure. This is my usual reaction (thankfully not for ages!) so I usually know what to expect, but I am concerned that if I unsuspectingly get MSG and have a different reaction I want to make sure that people understand the cause. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome. Thanks. Candy.
|Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 1:26 am: || |
I'd refer to it as an "allergy" on the medic alert bracelet. Even though that's not exactly what it is, that's how people often classify it:
|Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 7:41 am: || |
Candi - Thanks for bringing up the topic of the medi alert bracelet -- I have been thinking about what to say on mine. How do you deal with the low blood pressure? I have the same reaction and usually just ride it through but it is very rough sailing. I have passed out many times and the best way to avoid this seems to be to just keep drinking cool water and even, dumping the water on my head and telling myself not to get upset! The low pressure eventually subsides after the problem food rushes through my system and I eliminate it -- typically within 5 minutes to 2 hours. (Fortunately, this is a rare occurence now that I have eliminated all processed foods and do not eat out.)
Roy - Great site (as usual)! Good advice! Thanks.
|Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 8:18 am: || |
In emergency rooms, the literature regarding MSG poisoning, instructs doctors not to give victims any drugs that contain sulfites since this worsens the condition dramatically. However, to be safe, I wouldn't assume that all doctors would know this, and so I would add a warning to not administer any sulfur based drugs, or enteral feedings that contain corn based sugars or isolated amino acids, particularly, glutamic or aspartic acids. And of course there's the problem with the hospital foods that are highly laced with MSG, including the soups they want to give you right away! "Meals must be specially prepared", might be a good warning.
|Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 1:24 am: || |
Hi All, I got my Medic Alert bracelet engraved today. I had "MSG Allergy please call ambulance" engraved on it. I decided on the ambulance bit because my concern was that someone might read MSG Allergy & get in a flap/dither & not know what to do & delay in calling for medical assistance. I will also write out a card (on bright coloured paper, covered in contact/sticky-backed plastic) to carry in my handbag with more details about my condition. Any ideas about what I should include on this card would be helpful. Thanks everyone. Candy
|Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 1:31 am: || |
To MEMorrisNJ, By the way, I didn't find out, until personal research *after* the events, that it was actually low blood pressure. After upset tummy, I would have trouble getting back to bed & twice my heart was racing really fast & I had trouble breathing. How I handled this was by just lying as still as possible & concentrate on just breathing at a steady pace, not panicking and praying, asking God to help me through it. Candy
|Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 8:13 am: || |
Candy, the directions in emergency rooms for MSG toxicity or reactions is to not administer sulfa drugs of any kind, or drugs that contain sulfites or glutamic acid.( I believe the directions were written by toxicologist, Dr. George Schwartz) You might add that enteral fluids that contain these or corn by-products, such as glucose, may contain glutamic acid. Great idea candy! When you have it done, would you please share exactly how it reads, so that others here might be inspired to do the same.
|Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 12:13 pm: || |
CandyBerry: I'm really interested in getting a MedicAlert bracelet. Let us know what your final decision on what to put on the bracelet would look like. Thank you.
|Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 12:50 am: || |
Hello again everyone,
An interesting warning about medic alert jewelry. I spoke to a lady who was wearing a medic alert bracelet similar to mine. She made the comment that it is best to get a bracelet, because some people will not check a necklace because of the problem of being accused of molesting. from Candy
|Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 11:00 am: || |
I use my MedicAlert bracelet. I had "severe reaction to Monosodium Glutamate" written on it.
They have had to start my heart twice. The first time I experienced msg, I had no idea what was happening to me--the medics thought I had overdosed on drugs.