Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hypoglycemia and allergies

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Scientific Information » Hypoglycemia and allergies « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 4:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I completely forgot about this angle: Often people with allergies have hypoglycemia too. I'll try to investigate more about this. What if the allergies came first for us, then the hypoglycemia which allowed us to become affected by MSG in a damaging way? I can't believe I forgot about this. At about the same time I was diagnosed 10 years ago with my food allergies, I was also diagnosed by a completely different doctor with hypoglycemia. That was also when a dose of MSG could send my diastolic blood pressure 40 points above normal in an hour of ingestion. The GP who diagnosed the hypoglycemia gave me a special diet and also sent me to an endocrinologist.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 8:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, this is very interesting. All along, Dr. George Schwartz, author of the book, In Bad Taste: The MSG Symptom Complex, has said that we not allergic to MSG. We are sensitive to it. He is a toxicologist and says it is a drug to our body. However, some of the reported symptoms are allergy type responses and some seem less so. Dr. Mech studied his patients with eating disorders, several of which were subsisting solely on diet pop, and found that they had developed hypoglycemia ( he had their blood tested). He concluded that the MSG and aspartame induced hypoglycemia. We're back to the chicken and the egg question again. Hope you can help find more answers, Carol. Dr Devi, of NAET, insists on testing and then treating for food allergies before she will test or treat for other environmental triggers. She says that once they are treated, the body is better equipped to handle the other toxins. Jack said that he was never treated for MSG, but was treated for nonessential amino acids. If one does not buy into NAET, none of this probably makes any sense. Dr. Devi says that the thousands of manmade chemicals in our environment are responsible for all our allergies today, even the way we respond to foods that normally would not cause us to react.
Judy
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 10:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, Maybe you can help me understand. I am sensitive to free glutamates. I went to a pure caveman diet March 1, 2000 (I don't tempt or try out much like many do to see what their reaction is. I'm chicken and don't try out much). However, I have rare reactions now. But if I miss a meal, boy, I get an msg reaction... . Does hypoglycemia ever 'go away'? How does that happen, if so. For example, you must no longer be hypoglycemic yet you still have msg reactions? Help.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 6:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Deb A about this being a chicken and egg argument. At the same time that MSG, being an insulin instigator, causes hypoglycemia (carrying it's own "key" into the brain), hypoglycemia related to allergies probably exacerbates the trouble. Then - you have MSG effecting the histamine response -aggravating the existing allergies.

Gerry, Hypoglycemia can happen to any of us any time. It's just low blood sugar. The best advice is to eat more like a diabetic. That means eating fruit juice sweetened things instead of table sugar, honey and maple syrup, and avoiding artificial sweeteners like aspartame and saccharine. As far as no longer being diagnosed as "hypoglycemic" yet still getting reactions - I no longer am extremely hypoglycemic, and I also don't get bad MSG reactions any more. But for those who are sensitive, the problem with MSG is that MSG by itself can cause low blood sugar by increasing insulin. The main issue is not to make a bad reaction worse by starting off with a blood sugar deficit. If you already know you have allergies, like me, you should take care of them and also try not to deplete your blood sugar in the first place, knowing you are more susceptible to hypoglycemia. Avoiding MSG should be critical for two reasons, you are vulnerable if you are, at that moment, low on blood sugar, and also because your immune system is already "wired" and doesn't need another histamine boost from MSG.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2000 - 8:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, thank you so much, as always, for your excellent input and advice. I am so hypersensitive that many times I can't even imagine what has caused my "MSG" reaction. Even now I am covered with a rash caused by ingestion of some hidden MSG. I get so angry that I really want to let the whole world know that I am being poisoned by the food manufacturers.....solely for their convenience....to promote "shelf life". My hypersensitiveity is so bad that some times, as I have indicated previously, I "black out" for several hours.
Some people may think that perhaps I complain too much, want to be too proactive, want to help others too much.....but we are truly living in a dangerous time....the age of government sanctioned poisoning of its people! Forgive me....but I truly believe that this is wrong. And I really want to do something about it. I mean really do something to stop it!
Judy
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 8:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol: Thanks for the info about hypoglycemia. Now maybe more help. A delicate subject,but I'm supposed to be having a sigmoidoscopy. Of course that means many hours of fasting. I've tried but have had to cancel appointments. (Of course I'll ask the doc what I can do about this...I'll go in to see him in January) BUT, what would you suggest? What they tell you to ingest is gelatin, boullion, etc....!@!*. The doctor is looking for tumors with a variety of tests and wants to check the digestive tract and will do the full colonoscopy if I can make it through the sigmoidoscopy, so he is understanding that I have problems (and from tests he tells me that I am sick with an auto immune disease and he wants to help). Anyway, rambling as this is...what would you, as a layperson, suggest to get through a sigmoidoscopy?
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 12:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy, you can drink lemonade made with fresh lemons and sugar to help take the bite off your hunger while you are fasting. I had to fast two days for the lower GI test, and that is all I had...made a gallon full and drank the whole thing!
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 12:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry, you have every right to be upset, and I truly hope you are a very proactive person about an issue that is robbing the health of millions!
I don't think one can be too proactive about something this serious....in fact most people are too INactive about the issue. That's probably why the food industry and chemcial companies are still getting away with murder. We have added a new topic so that information regarding other environmental poisons can be posted. (preservatives, aspartame, pesticides) Also, thanks to Gerry, we are "hooking up" with other groups related to the food additive issue, and will soon be able to interact with them more easily. Way to go, Gerry. You are a great example of how we should be venting our anger. I'm sorry you are struggling still with the rash. Do you take any pills of any kind, or powder supplements? What about bread and baked goods? Nuts? Dry fruit?
Carol H
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy,

Many athletes consume complex carbohydrates for several days before activity so that they can increase stores of glycogen. Glycogen is our ready supply of carbohydrate which is stored in the liver and the body draws upon to keep energy up. It might not hurt to eat some pasta and veggies before you have to fast. Also, ask if fruit juice is allowed while fasting. That may be a good help. The key here is not to have anything that would cause your digestive system to have to work.
Connie
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy, I too have hypogycemia, and know how difficult it is to fast more than a few hours. Maybe you could make homemade bouillion? Or as with Deb's lemonade idea, I think the key would be to sip the lemonade regularly, and keep you blood sugar level constant.

Good luck!
Judy
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great ideas for hypoglycemics and necessary fasting. I'll try the lemonade, boullion and complex carbs on trial before making my next appointment. (DebA: Doesn't the sugar with the lemonade create a problem. I guess one can just make it sour which is how I like my drinks anyway.) Thank you all.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 7:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A, Went to a meeting of local realtors today and they served lunch as it was a working lunch. I got in line while fully knowing that there would be NOTHING that I could eat or drink...and I was right.

Served were MSG Coke and Aspartame Diet coke along with MSG barbecued beef on L-systein, autolyzed yeast (MSG) antifungal roll. On the side were various bags of flavored MSG chips. No water was provided. What has become of our society that we accept this?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 2:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy, you might have luck with using some stevia liquid for part of the sugar to sweeten lemonade. If you use the powder, be sure it doesn't contain fillers like some do. (maltodextrin) I seem to do fine with cane sugar, but I do decrease the amount called for in most recipes. The product still tastes plenty sweet. Considering all the sugar I used to take in (candy bars, Kool-gag-Aid, caramel corn, and more), the amount I use in drinks and baked goods has decreased drastically. I don't crave sweets like I used to, either. I can drink Florida's Natural brand orange juice, so maybe that might work for you. We also drink Ryan's fresh pasteurized apple juice from Costco. If you have a juicer, you might check to see if it's alright to drink vegetable blends like carrot, apple, lemon juice. (It's delicious!)You may be a bit hungry for the fast, but I'll bet you'll feel great at the same time. I sure did.
Gerry, we sure know the frustration of trying to eat at such gatherings! I ALWAYS eat before I go to a dinner or brunch now, and bring along some safe treats to snack on. I couldn't help but chuckle at your colorful (and accurate) description of the meal!
Sue M
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 9:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am starting to put the pieces together with my kids after reading through this web site. I know have been researching and haven't been able to put the pieces together..until now. They are both hypoglycemic. But they don't always react as severe as they do at other times. I know without a doubt that their seizures(which only occur when we don't stick to our strict diet) are related to all of these things that you are discussing. I'm just trying to figure it all out and this site is so helpful. I have read through the book, but now I will be getting my own copy and go through it again. A big thanks to you all! It really helps to know that there are others out there that are dealing with similiar things, because a lot of people can't imagine that food or additives can cause so many problems. I know that I am on the right tract in my searching for answers, but it is not the popular route and sometimes it gets lonely and discouraging,especially when I am making descisions that affect my kids.It is often very overwhelming to have to wonder if what I am feeding my kids will make them react with a seizure. Thanks again!
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 10:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sue, it does feel lonely and discouraging at first. But know we have been where you are now and that it will get easier. After all, you have a head start on this compared to all the other parents who are still believing that their doctors have all the answers and that we are a bunch of alarmists. Just making the connection and being willing to learn and make changes is the biggest hurdle. You and your family will benefit greatly from all your efforts. Keep up the great job!
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 5:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allergy and MSG - This is the argument we can make against the blood-brain barrier mantra of the Glutes. Allergy response causes the blood vessels to leak, because they have to. The swelling characteristic of an allergy response - and many of you know exactly what I mean, is blowing up like a balloon. How does this happen? Fluid leaves the blood vessel in a hurry to enter the tissues. It can do this because the blood vessels suddenly become "leaky". A person suffering from an allergy to a true allergen like soy, will be at risk of MSG damage, because their blood vessels will not provide protection. This may be why researchers have found that inflammation response is linked somehow to Alzheimer's disease. The blood brain barrier may be compromised even before the body realizes that hypoglycemia has drained their ability to withstand an onslaught crossing the blood-brain barrier. Jeez, with all my allergies, it's a good thing I'm posting all this stuff, before I get Alzheimer's and forget what I just said.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Elsewhere on the site was a discussion of why some MSG sufferers are so thin if it causes obesity. I've thought about this a while. It's an equation that can be tipped one way or the other. If you burn up more energy because you are on full alert, and you also are terrified to eat something for fear you will react, you may be taking in less than you expend.
Energy in < Energy expended = Weight loss.
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 5:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H: You are too funny. I can hardly wait to meet you in Reno, if you remember to come.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 6:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carol, Like Deb A. I too haven't posted for a while, but do read the postings daily. As to allergies, this is an interesting topic as it relates to msg reactions.
For the last 4 months I have been on Plendil (calcium channel blocker) for high blood pressure. Several weeks ago I began to get that classical body rash that I normally associate with msg ingestion. But I knew that I am too careful for it to be msg. So I searched calcium channel blockers on the web and sure enough they cross the blood brain barrier. Also they are toxic when taken with erythromycin antibiotic. Since the this is the only antibiotic that I can tolerate, I went to my doctor.
He would not believe that my horrific rash was due to Plendil, but because of the interaction with the erythro, he told me to stop the Plendil and to try an ACE inhibitor for the blood pressure.
Within 24 hours of stopping the Plendil, the rash went away. I decided not to try the ACE inhibitor, but rather have scheduled an appointment with a naturopathic physician that I met accidentally.
I truly believe that those of us who suffer from msg poisoning are susceptible to all chemical toxins and that our immune systems have been permanently compromised.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with you, Gerry. When I think it took 20 years before I found out what was making me so ill, I cringe to think of all the damage my body suffered. Please let us know how your appointment
with the naturopathic physician goes. :)
gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will do, Deb. And I too am looking forward to meeting every one in Reno!
Melissa
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back to the hypoglycemic thing re: preparing for a medical procedure - everyone is talking about ingesting sugary drinks - when sugar in the blood stream, no matter what kind, even natural fruit sugar, will trigger your body to make more insulin and then make you even hungrier (and more hypoglycemic) - I think having broth also is probably a good idea, but make your own instead of drinking boullion msg broth. A bit of salt may be helpful too - can you tolerate 7up? I am msg sensitive and I can tolerate 7 up. that has electrolytes, I wonder if it would also be helpful.

This part is regarding general hypoglycimia, I noticed no one even mentioned glycemic index - there are many foods which are considered high glycemic index foods - before I totally figured out the msg thing I was feeling hypoglycemic all the time - so I learned to eat more foods with a low glycemic index and to avoid those foods with a high index - it does help tremendously. Mainly, more whole grains, fruits and vegetables are what you need - back to that old caveman thing. For example potatoes and pasta are high glycemic index foods - so I limit the amount of those foods I eat, and make sure I eat them with other more fibrous foods. And we only eat brown rice and whole grain cereals - very fiberous foods digest more slowly and prevent the hypoglycemia without triggering an insulin rush - a very well rounded meal is key also. Just eating spaghetti is not a good idea, but eating spaghetti and adding a vegetable, and salad (with homemade or no dressing of course), and whole grain bread is great. The 3rd thing I had to do is greatly reduce caffiene intake. Everyone is different, but I am learning even one cup of coffee greatly increases my digestion and I am starving within an hour of eating a full breakfast, then I get hypoglycemic right away if I don't keep eating - whereas if I don't have coffee I can make it until lunch time without feeling hungry. Since I have been following the no msg, low glycemic and reduced caffiene routine I almost never go hypoglycemic anymore. Hope this helps someone out there. (and don't forget to exercise and drink lots of water too! - moderate regular exercise can help combat the ill effects of msg poisoning as well as many other illnesses!)
Melissa
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 4:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, and about the allergies - I am an allergy sufferer as well - I am convinced they effect my hormones (and insulin is a hormone) adversely - I would be interested in learning more about this if anyone knows - I know it's related to my excitotoxin & sulfite sensitivities -
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melissa: Sounds like we're similar in responses; hypoglycemic when not on caveman diet (yes, low glycemic level foods and I have coffee only on Saturday and Sunday which is also a no-no). There is no way I can do sugar or 7-up and have not dared even a homemade soup in 1 1/2 years. You're right, well balanced meals are a must. I am sulfite sensitive and also hypothyroid. But, when life is good it is very very good. I've said forever that I am terrified to think I would ever have to go for surgery or to a nursing home. Either one will kill me, I'm sure. I also have a low low body temperature; 95 in the morning (once it was 93! yes, I have two very good thermometers to double check for accuracy). The highest ever is 97 to 97.5. The doctors just shrug. I wonder why they take your temperature if it doesn't matter. I have read about Wilson's Syndrome but the therapy seems scary as well. Also, I have a hard time sweating; my thermostat seems to shut down most, but not all, of the time. I walk 3+ miles most days and am otherwise active. Anyone out there relate at all? Carol H: you had a relative that can't sweat at all? What is the name of the condition?
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 7:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T, The condition is called anhidrosis. My cousin developed this disease only in her early thirties. Before this, she used to be an avid cyclist. Her sister is very much like me in her food sensitivities and found that only a strict diet of certain foods helped her feel well. I wonder if it is related. I also can't wait to meet you in Reno too. I'm writing up a short summation of everything we've learned so far by pooling our resources and sharing our stories. I am trying to get it down to just a few pages - What makes one susceptible to serious MSG reactions, what body systems are affected by MSG, what remedies appear to help us, and more specifically why. We have acquired quite a lot of pieces in this puzzle so far.
Melissa, a search for glycemic index on this site will turn up a few postings. I don't think we have a link to a table though.
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 10:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H: Your summaries will be so valuable! I have typed down a variety of foods and their complete labels for foods that work for me to share, hoping others will do the same. I also have a table of the range of symptoms noted by others (from which I can make my own personal chart, just seeing my ups and downs and noting progress)...that's to share as well. I wonder if Reno is a time to talk about gathering base information for future research; that is, baseline data regarding obvious stuff like age/sex, date of symptoms, ethnicity of parents, were we nursed, etc. and maybe other things, like, oh, childhood diseases or...now I'm grasping at straws...blood types? It seems that geographics and age don't mean much. Somewhere there must be predictors that could be red flags for others. Somewhere there are clues for modulating the effects of excitotoxins. Adrienne Samuels has a doctorate in research I understand. We could do some collections, some correlations perhaps, and some Lichert data. I'll bring a simple sample survey instrument to see if those of us at the meeting think this is a worthwhile project for the future. What do you all think?
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 3:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H: Thanks a lot for the anhidrosis title. Oh, my. I checked it out and seems that humans suffer this but more often, horses do!. Funny in a way if it wasn't funny. Here's what they say about horses...anhidrosis (the lack of ability to sweat as required) is involved with neurotransmitters and involves the adrenal glands. "L-tyrosine, an amino acid, breaks down into transmitters which stimulate the Beta-2 receptor cells, which stimulate sweat". Well, while not being a horse, the language sounds very familiar. They probably have a different 'sweat' system, still I am struck by similarities. Different vet docs have different thoughts; one talks of a potassium deficiency for horses, another says that 'horses (with anhidrosis) are marginally hypothyroid, have a loss of hair color and hoof problems'. Well, my hooves are ok, but the rest fits me. Another horse remedy is to supplement with "Vit C, niacin, l-tyrosine and cobalt". Hey, Reno is gonna be fun. Think of this and talk to me about this issue, will you? Thank you again, Carol H.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 10:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy T., you've been busy! Yes, by all means bring the survey...in fact, why not just make some copies to send home with everyone. We can fill them in and get something going. In fact, we can post a survey here on the site, too. Mike and I have discussed doing that for some time. I'm sure Adrienne would be interested in what we have to share.
Boy this discussion of hypoglycemia has my attention. I have had company non-stop since May, and unfortunately, I have done too much cooking, making desserts, and eating them! :( Well, when you have your 6 grandkids around for the summer, it's easy to want to make them treats. That is where the problem lies. I eat them, too! Now they are all back in their own states as of yesterday, and Mike and I will be back to our normal eating routine, and that means fewer high glycemic foods!I certainly am feeling fat and sluggish and since I am hypothyroid, it's time to exercise more and eat better! It sure makes a difference when I fall off the sugar wagon!
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. and anyone out there who can help,

Just got back from a month in England where I visited a naturopath. Very informative. She told me to give up sugar for several months for some problems-candida and "leaky gut." Is there anything I can use as a sweetener that isn't considered sugar? I use Sucanat, but it is sugar cane. I did pretty well on the trip, but she did tell me to stop eating beef and tuna, pretty much the only protein in my diet besides eggs and beans with brown rice. I did very well with headaches after giving up the beef and tuna. She also gave me a long list of foods I can eat-all natural, of course. The testing was very interesting, similar to NAET, I think. I would love to continue the process of testing foods with a naturopath in my town-Houston. I really think it helped.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 5:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use powdered and liquid stevia for some of my sweetening needs. Be sure to look for products without fillers like dextrose.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 7:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought stevia for my herb garden. The leaves are incredibly sweet!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page