Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I need help for lunch ideas!

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection » I need help for lunch ideas! « Previous Next »

Shani
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 8:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just learned that my horrific headaches have been caused all along from MSG. I am so depressed because I have a pantry full of canned "junk" that passes for food. I think I will give them to the Salvation Army for their food drive, but my husband is going to have a cow! I have an 8 year old son who is starting to complain of headaches and I know I will have to start sending him to school with his luches. This may sound silly, but I am terrified that I won't be able to find enough food for him to eat, let alone make my husband happy. Everything has MSG in it from all the labels I've been franctically trying to read. It takes hours for me to shop! Debby A, I love your book. I read it until 2 in the morning. It all makes sense now. I had more than half of the other symptoms and I know most of my friends do too. Thank you for this site and all the work you are doing to help people like me. This whole thing just infuriates me!
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shani....All of us here have been where you are now. There seems to be a process that most of us have to go through before we get a real handle on all the changes we need to make.
1.Shock
2.Anger
3.Denial
4.Acceptence
5.Change
The first 3 tend to tie us up a bit and frustrate us for a time. But that's a normal way to react when you learn the food that is so convenient and that you have come to depend on is off limits....at least a big chunk of it is. I remember thinking at first that I was going to starve, so I would eat tons of the food that I knew I could eat, and it got boring. But I remembered that my grandmothers could start with fresh foods from the market and make incredible meals with the basics. I actually held on to my canned goods for about 6 months just to feel some kind of safety net. But I forged ahead and began to buy all kinds of fresh vegetables and fruits and meats and actually loved the better tasting and healthier meals I was giving my family. I make extra for my husband's lunches and you can do that, too. The book gives you the tools. Once you get over the "how can I do all this now?!" stage that you are in, you can begin to rethink your old methods of shopping and eating, and gradually your new way of doing things will come naturally. I'm not trying to oversimplify. You need to keep reading and learning and believing in yourself and what you know is important for your and your son's health. But it does get easier and you won't want to go back to processed foods. The great way you start to feel is worth all the effort it takes at first. The biggest challenge you have right now is accepting what you must do and then doing it. We are here to help and the book gives many simple lunch ideas and recipes. Don't forget to double up some batches of cooked meat for sandwiches and desserts for the freezer that can go quickly into lunch bags. And have a bowl of fruit handy all the time. I do fine with Ruffles potato chips, and Kavli crackers, Tillamook colby/jack cheese, and whole milk mozzarella. Boil a dozen eggs at the beginning of each week. They're handy for snacking, for lunches, or to make egg salad for sandwiches. You have the right to be upset, Shani. We all do!
Carol H
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 3:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shani,
Since many baked goods can cause troubles, I buy simple flour tortillas (I'm too lazy to make my own:))I use them for "roll-up" type sandwiches. Or, I make a big batch of homemade macaroni salad at the beginning of the week, and for lunches, I spoon a bunch into a container and either put Contessa cooked frozen shrimp on top, (thaws by lunchtime in a coolerbag)or leftover meat from last night's dinner cut into small pieces. I sometimes use fresh organic romaine lettuce from Earthbound farms and put shrimp in it with black olives and I throw a splash of olive oil on it. I pack a fresh lemon which I cut and squeeze on the salad right before I eat it. Another idea - My boyfriend and I can tolerate the yellow fin canned tuna from Trader Joes. It only has tuna, olive oil, and salt. I use Spectrum Canola oil mayo to mix with it. Another idea, you can even make homemade waffles, freeze them and then use them instead of sandwich bread. Once we overcome our American mindset that lunch means two pieces of bologna between two slices of Wonder bread, lunch can become creative and fun. Your son might just enjoy the new interesting lunches you will send him off to school with. Plain potato chips, not flavored, I also do well with. If you miss real bread, buy fresh Italian bread that only has flour, yeast, water, and salt in it. It freezes well. I buy a pack of six small long rolls, and store it in the freezer. Each roll takes about 45 seconds in a microwave to defrost. I make sandwiches with it, but you can also make hummus and dip the bread in it.
Shani
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 10:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are so cool. I can't believe you would take the time to list so many really good ideas. I promise I will try most, if not all of them. Debby, I am so sure that I'm in the denial stage you mentioned. It was good just to know I'm being normal about this. Everything just seems overwheleming to me right now. But I have more confidence that I can start making some good tasting things that my family will like. I only work part time and will be only working a couple days a week soon, so I should be able to get my act together when I'm home. God bless you all and have a happy Thanksgiving.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 12:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Shani. I hope you have a happy and very healthy Thanksgiving, too. Watch out for commercial stuffing, and gravy made with dry soups or such!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 2:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh wow. Reading Shani's post reminds me so much of our trip to the grocery store last night. My husband tried vainly to find packaged foods without MSG. My son was crying because the Juicy Juice he likes has MSG (at least it has "natural flavors"), so I wouldn't buy it for him. I was just in a daze trying to figure out what to cook, what to eat, what to feed him for lunch. Yes, I've got Deb's book. My husband is making some sort of meal from it right now. The book is great and has so many creative ideas. Thank you. Thank you all for all of these postings with ideas and encouragement. It's not easy but we're trying our best at our house.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 3:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've all been where you and Shani have been, so we know what a challenge this change is at first. But it WILL get easier. I've just been sent a copy of Sulley's, "Living Without" magazine. Someone wanted subscription information: To subscribe, call 630-415-3378 or visit site:
www.livingwithout.com
The article in the fall issue about MSG is excellent. They site our book and Dr. Schwartz's. What I wanted to share with you is an article in it about a mother who had a son who was so sensitive to most foods when he was born, that she and doctors felt he may not survive. After months of experimentation, this child began to thrive on only three items: sweet potatoes, sunflower oil, and venison. For several years, that's what he could tolerate, despite repeated attempts to introduce new items. So, what I am trying to share with you is that, although there may be some favorite items that you may need to give up, at least we have a huge selection of fresh foods that we can draw upon. As for the Juicy Juice, my daughter bought some for a cross country trip with her little ones, and after just one day, threw them away. She could see the effects immediately. Most doctors and nutritionists would agree that water is the best beverage to offer a child (or adult). It's just a matter of fostering new habits. My grandkids love the smaller sized bottled waters, and take them everywhere, including to school. Most commercial juices contain many chemicals, in addition to MSG, to prolong shelf life. We drink Florida Natural orange juice. To make an orangeade that your son may like, just dilute and add some sugar to taste. It's better than Juicy Juice, and he will learn to tell the difference between whole foods, and altered ones. Juicers are fun to have, too. Have your son participate in making up fun combination drinks. Tell him he is drinking fresh vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that will make him stronger than other drinks can. Fruit juices in boxes have been cooked to pasteurize them, and so artificial vitamins are added to replace ones that have been destroyed. Tell him if he plants a cooked carrot, it will not grow, but if he plants a fresh one, guess what will happen. It contains life and it will sprout roots and grow. Kids today are not eating enough fresh fruits and vegetables. I tell people to allow themselves to make some mistakes and to give themselves enough time to feel familiar with making healthier substitutions. It's wonderful that you have such a supportive husband. He, too, will benefit from some of the changes in you meals.
RhondaHerring
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 2:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.

What is the name of your book? I keep seeing references to it . . .

Thanks!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 4:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rhonda. The name is, Battling The MSG Myth: A Survival Guide and Cookbook. It's available at www.msgmyth.com. We mail it soon after we receive orders.
su
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 4:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

100% juice by R.W. KNUDSEN- they make black cherry, blackberry, blueberry and a few others. Very expensive and not all of this company's juice is free of additives so read labels. May be frozen for popsicles. I like best to freeze frozen berries after blending in the blender add a little sugar.
BREYER"S STRAWBERRY OR PEACH is safe-- all other Breyer's flavors are contaminated. If you get desperate for chocolate add some Powdered baker's 100% cocoa I checked other brands of ice cream and these two flavors of Breyer's were the only safe ones! Health food stores don't even know that they are promoting toxins in the form of "natural flavors" "spices" sodium benzoate and even sell liquid vitamins with these items for kids. One mom I saw buying these said her child kept having migraines, if she only knew. My own child gets such a migraine when he slips up with this stuff. He actually thanked me for trying to control his diet.He snuck some stuff at school one day and couldnt even run on the basketball court during his game he felt so sick.. He said it is so hard at school. I find it EXTREMElY insulting to see these toxins in a store that professes to be concerned with human health! They will argue that this company would never use a dangerous additive. But can't for the life of them explain why the need for "natural flavors" or "spices" or what it is. Like a demon in hiding, I keep finding it on labels, often in tiny print in an area of the bottle I almost didnt look. I feel like throwing the bottle across the floor. I am looking for a company that makes a wholesome tortilla.
su
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 4:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

100% juice by R.W. KNUDSEN- they make black cherry, blackberry, blueberry and a few others. Very expensive and not all of this company's juice is free of additives so read labels. May be frozen for popsicles. I like best to freeze frozen berries after blending in the blender add a little sugar.
BREYER"S STRAWBERRY OR PEACH is safe-- all other Breyer's flavors are contaminated. If you get desperate for chocolate add some Powdered baker's 100% cocoa I checked other brands of ice cream and these two flavors of Breyer's were the only safe ones! Health food stores don't even know that they are promoting toxins in the form of "natural flavors" "spices" sodium benzoate and even sell liquid vitamins with these items for kids. One mom I saw buying these said her child kept having migraines, if she only knew. My own child gets such a migraine when he slips up with this stuff. He actually thanked me for trying to control his diet.He snuck some stuff at school one day and couldnt even run on the basketball court during his game he felt so sick.. He said it is so hard at school. I find it EXTREMElY insulting to see these toxins in a store that presents itself as healthy alternatives to your local grocer. some owners will argue that this company would never use a dangerous additive. But can't for the life of them explain why the need for "natural flavors" or "spices" or even what it is. Like a hiding demon, I keep finding it on labels, often in tiny print in areas of bottles I almost wouldntlook. I feel like throwing the bottle across the floor. OK, I am done venting. I am looking for a company that makes a wholesome tortilla. Any ideas.?
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beware of Breyer's (now owned by Good Humor) ice creams. I have reacted to both the natural strawberry and peach flavors, but I am VERY sensitive. There are recipes on this board and in Debby's book for ice cream using rice milk, though I haven't tried it. Also, I didn't do too well on Knudsen's Pomegranate juice. It gave me migraines, so I haven't tried the other flavors. I prefer to just eat fresh fruit.
Laurie M
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 8:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stick with Knudsen's organic unsweetened juice. The pear juice is purely juice from pears. Yummy! I am quite sensitive and this is the first juice I have had in a long time:)
Roberta Mayne
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 6:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is funny how the doctors can only say, this is what you "can't" have, than you have to go and find everything yourself, takes most of your time and in the end it is frustrating. If only there was a list of foods in the grocery store that you could go by when shopping. Quick and simple, less time spent searching for the right product.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page