Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Good news!

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Good news! « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 7:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The S.O.S. Amercia program that I mentioned earlier is continuing to be aired all over the country, including much of the east coast and now California. The word is getting out, people! Hats off to brave doctors like Dr. Binge Martin, M.D of an Ohio headache clinic, who are willing to tell it like it is. He was interviewed on the show by a Lisa Cooney. I've received lots of e mail regarding MSG this week from areas back east, I'm sure due to the program. Most say that their doctors never mentioned MSG as a possible migraine trigger...nothing new to us!
M-Y
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 12:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell me what network that the SOS
program airs and at what time? I remember seeing it but I can't find it now.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 9:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y, I don't know and I forgot to ask. Kaye Wanke is the person who would know. She doesn't have a computer, but you can call her at 1 800 BEAT MSG.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 11:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fox Network is airing the S.O.S. America piece on MSG.
We can e mail the network and ask that the show be aired in our own areas. Apparently, it is still being shown all over the country. It would be a good idea if we commended Fox for running this show and why.
M-Y
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 2:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I watched the 700 Club and they had a segment on "Excitotoxins" and MSG. It was worth
watching. I intend to rewatch it.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 5:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y, What's the 700 Club? And where can I see it?
Deb S
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 6:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the site for the 700 Club (link):

http://www.christianity.com/cbn

I did a search of the site for "glutamate" and it came up with 5 articles, including the one featured on the main page.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2000 - 7:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The author of The Crazy Makers was also on another daytime news program, I was told. She is a nutritionist, and has gone against what the national organization of nutritionists usually says about MSG. (they take the FDA stand). She is to be admired! We are starting to see more health professionals "make the connection", and that is exactly what we have needed.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 8:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you scroll down on the opening page of

http://www.nomsg.com/

you'll come upon:

"Breaking News Story

On January 10, 2001, the Muslim population of Jakarta, Indonesia made a startling discovery. They uncovered the fact that a pork-based enzyme was being used in the production of MSG. This has led to rioting, closing down the Ajinomoto plant and the arrest and subsequent release of three Ajinomoto executives.
The previously undisclosed use of a pork-based enzyme in the production of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and the labeling of foods containing MSG for Arab markets as "halal" by the Japanese firm PT Ajinomoto, essentially assuring the consumer that pork was not used in the production, is at the center of the controversy.

We at the National Organization Mobilized to Stop Glutamate (NoMSG) find the recent arrests and rioting in Indonesia predictable. The use of pork-based ingredients in the production of MSG has been known for years and often commented on by NoMSG with much careful alliteration to the contrary by members of the Glutamate Association, which has elements that represent Anjinomoto PT interests. Many foods packaged in the United States with labeling, or rather mislabeling, stating "kosher" and "halal" include MSG and has been part of the discourse provided by NoMSG with regard to much of the labeling issues over the past decade.

With the Ajinomoto stock plummeting, we believe that much damage control of the tarnished image of Ajinomoto and MSG is hastily being thrown together and expect to see an increase in pro-MSG information in the future. We will keep our members apprised of any important developments."
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 9:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

p.s. - I sent the above post to some kosher websites, including one whose purpose is to send out e-mail alerts regarding products with improper kosher designations.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great work, Roy! Part of our work for NoMSG involves alerting them to news articles, so that Kathleen Schwartz can send out our own news releases in response. I have to thank my husband for his daily search via the net for such breaking news as the one mentioned here and also the one concerning the latest bogus test on humans conducted at a university. You can go to the NoMSG site and read more about it. It's infuriating to witness the deceptive and manipulative practices of the glutamate industry and their high paid lobbyists. If any of you read pro-MSG articles in your newspapers, or magazines, or hear pro-MSG comments on television programs or radio, PLEASE contact us with the date, time, name of program/publication, and what was said and who said it. It will help NoMSG and Kathleen and all of us. Thanks.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 3:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was listening to WABC talkradio in NYC this morning and they had a news brief about the growing number of people with diabetes and the link to obesity. They did not mention MSG, but they should have. At least they made that connection, and mentioned it on a very well-listened to radio program. All they need to do now is do the leap to the cause.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 7:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

Yesterday I caught a glimpse of the Sally Rafeal (sp) show and they were asking for people who have turned their lives around and want to tell about it. I'm sure they're more interested in people who were morally bad and found salvation, but can you imagine if we had a bunch of NOMSGers volunteer to tell how abstinance from excitotoxins has dramatically improved their lives?
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 4:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would make some impact, I'm sure, but knowing those types of shows, pro-MSG people would be invited to refute the claims. But who knows? Okay, Tom, when are you going to set the show up for us????!!! Ha Ha! You always have the greatest suggestions. When are you going to write a book? I know you could do it.
Marcia
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 4:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news! Today I saw the "Rosie" show with Olivia Newton John and Kelly Preston. They are on a mission for labeling chemical products that could and does affect children. There is way to much cancer, autism and ADD they said. Kelly and John Travolta have a son, Jet. She told today how they almost lost him because of chemicals in carpet. It caused his immune system to shut down. They are going before Congress and their web site is http://www.checnet.org/. Kelly's mother contacted me about a year ago asking about how I control and manage FMS. We talked via "E-Mail" about Excitotoxins. I'm sure she shared what I sent her and what we talked about with Kelly. She was coming to the States to spend time with Kelly because she had just had a little girl. Perhaps we all could go to this web site and send information to them sharing our concerns. I'm really excited about the possibility of our voices being heard.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 8:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marcia,

I referred them to the moving story on MSG and autism at:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/sulman/royeng.html
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 3:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marcia and Roy. This is great. In fact, I too have had contact with someone "close" to another celebrity family with a son who has autism. I have promised not to mention any names. I'm sure they know Kelly and John. This contact has been trying to reach this couple for some time with our information. She has helped a sibling of the husband, also in show business, and is hoping he will keep working on his brother. As I've said countless times, the plight of our posterity, our children, will break the lid off of this scandal, eventually.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, I bring up the big question of the chicken and the egg. Kelly suggested that the chemicals in the carpet triggered an immune disorder. What if the chemicals in his water, food, and air, and MSG all had the same effect, and caused him to begin to be the way he is now. The reaction to chemicals can result from a system weakened by excitotoxins in food. I just know how I used to react to new carpets, perfumes, vinyl coats, etc., until I eliminated MSG and aspartame and other junk in my food.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 10:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The immune system is now scientifially linked to the nervous system due to those new studies at Johns Hopkins. And MSG is nervous system stimulant - the food industry is unapologetic on this point. Therefore, MSG has got to have an effect on the immune system. That's why it is so dangerous for those with asthma. I wish doctors could see what an absolute no-brainer this is. It's clear as day to us.
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If anyone can find web references on the good news that Carol posted, would you please post? I want to bring to my appointment with my neurologist on Monday! PS Thanks Carol!
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 12:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article below explains the link between the nervous system and the immune system:

http://rex.nci.nih.gov/PATIENTS/INFO_TEACHER/bookshelf/NIH_immune/html/imm28.html
Marcia
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 4:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonight on the CBS news with Dan Rather (5:30 Central) they talked about BIO-Engineered foods.
They said that 50 Americans have gotten reactions so the government is researching it. What about Excitotoxins with the reactions of so many people and it is being ignored? Tomorrow night there will be more on the program.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 5:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An idea whose time has come - "NTXA free" labeling:

http://www.ideatown.com/nomsg.htm
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 7:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I'm so thrilled I could bawl! NTXAs. Ok. A person just being introduced to excitotoxins (and the myriad of much more complex and often more serious symptoms that many of us suffer after all these years)..that person can get a handle on NTXAs. It's understandable. It's easy to discuss. It introduces someone to a piece of the bigger picture and all the nuances of the problem. Deb A: talk to us. Tell us how this happened. No wonder you've been busy! I know you had a good good hand in this. Thank you thank you. Go to bed at night knowing you've done it, girl. You've done it. A turning point. Now when I write or call a producer or company I can say, "Is the product NTXA certified?" and then refer them to the webpage. Oh brother, I'm dancing in the aisles.
Life is good.
Thanks Roy for bringing this to our attention.
Yippee
Yippee
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 9:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Roy, Thanks so much for posting the link to the NTXA-free website. After spending way too much time reading labels in health food stores this weekend, I am so encouraged to read about this! Fantastic! And to Marc Davis and everyone else who had a hand in promoting this labeling - bless you all. I pray the food industry will give it serious attention.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 1:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't want to dampen anyone's spirits, and I also hope such a project would take flight, but I have done more research and according to what I have found, I am cautious. Mark Davis has belonged to NoMSG and once spoke at one of the the conferences a few years ago. He is/was in marketing (and may be part of a band that he promotes, also...not sure about that)and according to Jack Samuels, this is an attempt to form some type of certification of MSG free foods. However, this idea has been tried by others, and because food companies band together on the MSG issue, most of them will probably not cooperate with him. We can certainly wish him success, however.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 4:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing the food industry like I do, I think this is the best way to raise awareness. Once certain companies put that little symbol on their products, people will begin to ask what it means. When they find out, they will demand more of these products. It's supply and demand. When people start clamoring for certain products, only a marketing idiot wouldn't want to develop a product line that is NXTA-free. This is how things get better. People demanding more fuel efficient cars, people demanding safer drinking water, people demanding cleaner air. First they have to learn how bad things really are and get mad as hell about it. Then they vote with their wallets. They buy cars like the Prius, they buy organic produce, and soon will buy NXTA-free products too. Things are looking up.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 8:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know just how this man is going about this project? Is he actively pursuing the companies or waitng for them to come to him? He could wait a long time, if he doesn't have some kind of PR people or organization behind him.
Hopefully, we can find out more about him and his "idea". Hope it's not some wishful thinking or a money making scheme. Sorry to sound skeptical. It would be ideal, as Carol H. has said, but it could be just a pipe dream for now.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 12:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark Davis may be a comedian (http://members.aol.com/manitsas/cantina.html), but he seems to be taking this thing seriously. He has a way with words, and I believe this thing could take off. His web site has promised a future list of participating food companies/products, and gives his e-mail address (nomsg@ideatown.com). Maybe we could help him get the word out and build that list.
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 7:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I gotta say, you are incredible. How in the world do you find all this info?

What I like about his site is that he names names, that's a bold move we haven't seen. Yes, we should get the word out. If everytme we contacted companies, we asked about NTXAs, we would be one more drip wearing away at the rock. Also, on the positive side, like you say...help him with more companies/products for participating.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 7:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is a great idea that we may be able to get behind. Has anyone tried contacting him yet? I think his site had his e mail address. I liked the way he wrote, although Jack Samuels said he found a couple misstatements...nothing major, though. Think I will reread it. It may be a pipe dream, Anonymous, but it could be the beginning of a project that might work, if enough people got behind it. Mark must be hoping that will happen. It will not be easy, considering that most food companies do use MSG or MSG containing additives in their foods.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 11:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, have you heard from Jack and Adrienne lately? I continue to check in on their site, but don't see much new and haven't heard much about them lately. What have they been up to? Do you think they'll be a part of the Reno meeting?
markjdavis
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 7:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. My name is Mark Davis, and I just found this discussion. How exciting to know that you are aware of the NTXA program!

I appreciate your input and support of my fledgling NTXA project. Believe me, I have
big plans for it, but I haven't even begun to contact manufacturers or even certify products.
I intend to get this going soon, but I am still working out some of the procedural details first.

One thing I could use your help on would be the name "NTXA". I just don't think it's catchy or clear enough, so I think I want to come up with a new name. So I wonder if you have any suggestions....

We need a phrase/name that doesn't have "MSG" in it, because that ignores al the hidden toxins. We also need the name to be short, concise, memorable--and SCARY! Yes, the word or acronym needs to sound awful just like the stuff it represents. And finally, we need an acronym that isn't taken. ntxa.com is taken.

The goal is to create a word like "Noxins" or "Toxars" or something that sounds horrible, and then we tack on "-free" to the end to make it a desirable certification.

So, your suggestions would be most welcome, please EMAIL them to me at mark@ideatown.com . Spend a few minutes to come up with ten ideas, and please do not hesitate to send them. Your help is much appreciated!

Once we get a new name and set up a website, I will seek out your help to inspect labels, contact manufacturers, and spread the word. Until then, thanks for your patience and support, and best wishes.

Mark Davis
mark@ideatown.com
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 10:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark:
Here it is:

www.excitotoxin-free.com

Good luck!

Gerry Bush
Judy T
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Gerry. The word excitotoxins becomes self-explanatory when one quickly learns that msg excites...and that that is toxic. This also includes aspartame, which is a must.

I am so so happy to see your efforts. As you know from my e-mails to you, I am really hopeful that your listing will include ALL of the excitotoxins, like citric acid from corn not fruit and high fructose corn syrup, etc. (I guess high fructose corn syrup has msg...I sure do react) which brings up the dilemma which is minor..that is not to include everything every one reacts to because so many of us have other issues like sulfite sensitivity, but the listing must be really inclusive of excitotoxins from the get-go to be effective.

Again, thank you. This is the start of a new day and you and those on this board are pioneers for this new frontier. Wow, I am happy.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 11:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck with this great idea, Mark. I believe you spoke at the Las Vegas NoMSG meeting in 1995. You had some great ideas then, but then we lost track of you. Life must have gotten very busy, I'm sure. Glad to know you were still formulating something and this idea is very good. How do you think the food companies will respond?..you know how they protect each other. Maybe you could approach the companies who make safe products (few and far between, I'm sure) and then work up. Labels are very expensive and many companies might frown on designing new ones that include the "excitotoxin free" (which would be my choice, too) or some such stamp on the product...or am I misunderstanding what you intend to do? Do you intend to mainly run a list on your site of safe and unsafe products? Have you let the people at NoMSG know what you are trying to get started? They may be able to back you, too. Please keep us posted. You might want to join us in Reno for our meeting in September and fill us in. I have no idea how many of us will be coming, but you could take a few minutes. It started as a meeting of the regulars who have been posting here for a while in order to meet each other...it still is that, and will probably include a time for sharing info about safe products, a time for questions and answers,brainstorming for ways to promote the truth about MSG, and we will have a report from the former NoMSG hotline person, Kaye Wanke (and some time for fun). We aren't really an organization, but we all care about this issue deeply. Perhaps some good ideas will emerge from this time together.
DJ
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 2:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!

Woman's Day magazine printed my short letter of reply to the article about MSG and migraines in the July issue. It was a very small note, but here is hoping that it reaches many many people. Like Deb said, we all need to write and speak out.... who knows who we will reach and help. It is my wish that someday ALL Doctors in this country will tell their high blood pressure patients to eliminate ALL msg from their diets, instead of just handing them a paper of low sodium foods and a perscription before they leave.
Wouldn't that be great?

DJ
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 6:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ,

The Congestive Heart Failure Newsletter that I receive from the hospital I was treated at does advise CHF patients to avoid MSG as well as salt in their diets. Regretfully, unless the products we here know contain glutamate can be properly labeled as containing MSG as a byproduct of production, I'm afraid it might be a lost cause.

I have given the two cardiac nurses who edit the newsletter a list of the ingredients that contain glutamates, but they have never published it. I wonder if we had formal brochures to distribute with this information if that would make a better impression.

What if we created a brochure and posted it on this site in a format that could be easily downloaded and or printed so each of us could reproduce them as needed for distribution to our local doctor's offices and/or hospitals?

Maybe Title the brochure something like:

"Food Borne Excitotoxins"
"How they find their way into our food supply"

That should get peoples' attention! :)

And if we could get those medical professionals who have gone on record already against these Excitotoxins to endorse the brochure, it would have an even greater impact! :) :)
Deb
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 12:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are cookin'! DJ, this is terrific. The fact that you took the time to pen a letter (or e mail) deserves great applause in and of itself. That they published it is wonderful for the cause. Even though it is a small letter, it does get read my MANY subscribers. The letter Family Circle printed that I sent them a couple years ago was small, but they included the NoMSG hotline number and Kaye received over 700 phone calls because of that one little letter. Now more people will do a search on MSG and come up with several sites. Way to go, DJ! :)
Tom, your idea is brilliant, and the title is exceptional. "Food Borne Excitotoxins" If anyone wants to get something to me, Mike and I would be willing to read and edit, and help in any way. We could post it here for downloading, as you said. The same could be done with sample letters to congressmen, and food companies, and the FDA. People, this is the best tool we have...our combined ideas, efforts and words. I have a brochure written by Wayne Erickson, who is an anti- MSG activist in Alaska. He gave me permission to post it so that anyone can download it...hope to get that done in the near future. Anyone can print as many copies as they like and hand them out. I'm sure I could get my son to endorse the brochure you are thinking of, Tom, but we need some traditional doctors, also. I think I could get Dr. Carol Foster to endorse it, if it is good and accurate. She is a neurologist.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page