Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sharing Media Reports and Letters Rel...

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Aspartame-Another excitotoxin like MSGMEMorrisNJ26 10-26-01  12:09 pm
Televison program about MSGDeb A.23 9-04-01  2:35 pm
Good news!Deb39 6-25-01  12:30 pm
U.S.A. Today articleDeb A.11-21-00  12:20 pm
Product Recall due to MSGConnie21 4-08-01  4:43 pm
PCS-PolyChemical SyndromeDeb A.12-02-00  8:09 am
Promotion of MSGCarol H36 9-15-01  5:39 am
Time article about healthDeb A.15 2-05-01  9:39 am
News report, Jan .30Deb A.1-31-01  11:16 am
Michael J. FoxRuth14 2-21-01  12:29 pm
An anti-MSG friend from the UKCarol H2-16-01  2:41 pm
Mad Cow Disease in the U.S.Deb A.9-04-01  2:37 pm
New "study" on allergies to MSGAnonymous18 8-06-01  1:01 pm
References in theatreRoy Piwovar3-11-01  5:06 pm
Newspaper article-MSG-March 20thTom Fernstrom3-28-01  7:59 am
Nutrition Action April 2001MEMorrisNJ15 4-05-01  7:26 am
Montel Williams show today: The Rise in AutismDeb A.4-13-01  7:17 am
Radio InterviewRoy Piwovar4-18-01  8:26 am
"The Organic-Industrial Complex" - NYTimes Sunday 5/13/01Deb A.13 6-27-01  10:11 am
Sudden Infant Death SyndromeRoy Piwovar20 5-26-01  5:26 pm
Help make food safer for Americans with food allergiesDeb S6-19-01  7:54 pm
Psychology Today - 8/01Connie6-26-01  6:09 pm
Nationwide article about "restless legs" syndromeDeb A.7-13-01  9:05 am
FDA: pro Pharmacuetical Companies not ConsumersMEMorrisNJ16 10-15-01  10:29 am
The Glaucoma ConnectionCarol H7-23-01  2:29 pm
Heat Stroke, Asthma and athletesCarol H8-11-01  12:50 pm
Antibiotics in our foodLaurie M8-16-01  7:58 pm
Another TV coverage of MSGDeb A.9-04-01  7:58 pm
We have a chance to be heard:Fibromyalgia story in Woman's DayDeb A.10-12-01  3:49 pm
Other web sitesAnonymous10-23-01  7:43 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Loretta
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 8:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone happen to see Dateline tonight? It was about Kleine-Levin syndrome. Think there is a connection to MSG. They said they tried everything, tons of doctors and tests(all normal) but there was no mention of food.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 9:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes! I taped it so that I could get the facts later...even names and places they live. I have sent books to people like that when they can be tracked down. I suggest we e mail Dateline and give our excitotoxin message to them. Some stations will forward information on to the family. I can't help but feel this is related to her diet. I remember receiving e mail from a man who said he had lost moments of his life and he discovered it was after eating a lot of MSG. I will try to go through my hundreds of e mail and try to find it. Actually, as I try to find the best stories for our book, I'm sure his will come up.
LORETTA
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 6:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent Dateline an e-mail right after I saw the show, also sent one to Kleine-Levin Syndrome web site. Did you notice that when the girl did have waking moments she wanted chinese food and tons of soup! Is that an msg craving or what! I directed them to your web site and also mentioned your book and Dr. Braylock. Hope they really look into it.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 7:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are on the ball, Loretta! I promise I will do the same today. Yes, I noted her craving for MSG, too. Probably set her up for the next episode. Would you please post the e mail addresses here so that others can do the same? Thanks!
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the organization's web site:

http://www.kleinelevin.com/
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 5:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at an environmental fundraiser recently where Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was the speaker. I asked him (boy was I nervous)if he handled food additive litigation since he is involved with litigation on environmental matters. He said no, he only handles water pollution cases. When I mentioned that the same companies are involved that made the PCBs that poisoned fish in the Hudson river (Monsanto). He said "I know who you are talking about. Good Luck to you." If even he doesn't want to go after these guys, we are in for a tough fight. When I pressed further and asked who would handle this type of case, he said the NRDC. The National Resources Defense Council. It seems that environmental progress only started to work when groups like Environmental Defense Fund, and NRDC went after the DEP, EPA, and FDA to enforce laws already on the books. The address is http://www.nrdc.org. Maybe they can help us. I also met a Congressman Rothman from NJ. He seems very open to environmental causes. I also met a local news director as well as a professor from a major NY University. The professor was extremely knowledgable about food science, and was interested in what I had to say about MSG. The news director gave me his email address. I sowed a bunch of seeds, I hope they grow.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, this is so amazing. I got up early this morning to e mail you and ask you to share your recent experiences at the fund raiser on the bulletin boards, and decided to check them first. The NoMSG board was still down, but I was so pleasantly surprised to find you had done what I had hoped, here. Kudos for a great consumer activist in our midst! You are so courageous, and
who knows, maybe we'll be reading your own book like the works of conservationists and activists, Rachel Carson and Robert Kennedy Jr. THANK YOU!!!
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 8:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

I was reading an article on the plane the other day in the American Airlines magazine about adult onset asthma. It stated that it has increased drastically since the mid 80's. Stating also that the cause was unknown, the article listed a number of air pollution based possibilities. But they also stated that the EPA has been effective in erradicating many air pollutants and that this fact does not explain the increasing asthma sufferers. What was left? They concentrated on possible pollen & mold increases as a cause.

Offhandedly the article mentioned that some people have linked adult onset asthma and its increase to food additives and/or preservatives.

Sure wish the EPA were as effective with "food pollution" as it is with air & water pollution. Maybe it should be a watchdog over the FDA.

Tom
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 10:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for posting that Tom, and it's so good to know you are still contributing to this board. We missed you for awhile!
I had to suffer though 20 years of unpleasant allergy shots, 4 a month, for my so-called asthma. After I made the MSG connection, it was my own doctor who was amazed at the change in my health (you have to realize my visits to this man had dropped from 12 visits or more a year to 1) who suggested that we stop the allergy shots to "see what happens". Nothing happened...never had another one. My good neighbor of 20 years works in a doctor's office, and told me, "Debby, you cannot believe the number of allergy shots we are giving every day!" She told me she wants to tell everyone to go to this site, and warn them about MSG, but she'd be fired.
M-Y
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 5:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Food Pollution" Using this phrase will surely get peoples attention. Good one, Tom.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 8:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Food Pollution"....now that's a good one M-Y! I like it and it is ever so true. People could easily connect with this terminology. Everyone is sensitive to pollution.
Frank
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 4:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excerpt from an Equal ad on the November Issue of Readers Digest:

"How Equal enchances the lives of people with Diabetes;
As a proud sponsor of the American Diabetes Association for more than 10 years, Equal has worked closely with the diabetes community, sponsoring special programs and events. *What's more, experts agree that Aspartame - the sweetening ingredient in Equal - doesn't affect glucose or insulin levels. No wonder it is recognized as an acceptable part of a diabetes meal plan! For further information, blah, blah."

What they don't tell is that while it doesn't affect the glucose and insulin levels it will
f u ck up your brain and may cause cancer and tumors. :)
Deb S
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sharing the all-too-typical propaganda that is so heavily promoted by the excitotoxin-pushers. I believe that Dr. H. J. Roberts has written that aspartame does indeed affect insulin levels much like sugar, and diabetic patients using it have a lot of problems controlling their sugar.

Just a note: We prefer to avoid using certain words on this board, including "censored" versions. It will help us to be taken more seriously when influential persons or organizations are interested in reading what is shared here. Thanks :)
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 7:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This article says that when it comes to the number of adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA, aspartame has no "equal":

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Aspartame.html
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 9:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is an interesting piece of correspondence that came across my desk:

"The most likely reason for feeling worse is that you are accidentally
ingesting wood alcohol. Quoting directly from "The Cure For All
Diseases" by Hulda Clark: [pp 251-252]
"The sources of wood alcohol are not as well known, but include
commercial beverages, cold cereals, artificial sweetener, vitamins and
drugs. ... foods and products that require sterilization of bottles
and machinery to fill these bottles are polluted with propyl alcohol
and wood alcohol. Foods and products containing flavorings or oils
are polluted with benzene."

The wood alcohol is used as a wash to sterilize the machinery etc and
allowed to dry without being washed off; hence any food etc brushing
over the machinery can pick up particles of wood alcohol.

Eat only fresh foods, natural un-treated stuff, not manufactured, and
preferably organic; it is the only way to recover.

Until I was persuaded to try organic mince recently, I had avoided
mince like the plague because of its horrible semi-bad-fat washed with
water taste. Now I pay a little more and enjoy my husband's favorite
meat balls occasionally too!

Note: eat only organic carrots ever, as the carrot is the worst
vegetable for picking up and storing heavy metals. We live a few
miles from a reclaimed sewerage water project. After just 7 months,
any organic growers in that region have lost their certification -
carrots were the first to show signs of heavy metal contamination.

Regards,
Judith."
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 5:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Fall 2000 issue of Sully"s Living Without
(A Lifestyle Guide for people with food and chemical sensitivities) has an excellent article entitled The MSG Myth by Kathy Evans Wisner.Lists symptoms from MSG, MSG sources and other names for MSG and Resources such as TLC, NOMSG and Battling the MSG Myth cookbook.
Deb S
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 8:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous -- Where did you find out about that publication? I have read a lot of online information about chemical sensitivities (and diagnosed myself as such), but don't recall seeing that name. Can you post the contact information for those of us who might want to subscribe? Thanks a bunch!

(Deb A. - Could be some copyright infringement here... :) But she plugs your book so I figure you'll let this one go.)
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2000 - 9:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bread and Circus division of Whole Foods Market
carries Living Without magazine in their magazine section. The magazine has a web site which gives information on subscribing. www.livingwithout.com
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 12:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the first I've heard of the article. Would love to see a copy. It's great to hear about any published work that supports what we are saying. They can quote or mention my book any time! I'm wondering if this is one of those free nutritional handouts I see at health food stores. I saw one recently that featured an interview with a nutritionist who wrote the book "The Crazymakers". She lists MSG as dangerous, along with all the processed pseudo-foods people eat today that are not healthy for our brains. Exactly what we are saying.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 11:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Earthquake news. We have been receiving lots of concerned inquiries about the earthquake since we are just 3 1/2 hours from Seattle. My husband, Mike, felt a slight tremor out where he works, but I didn't feel a thing. I was in the shower, however! Anyway, we are fine, but we are unable to reach our family members in Seattle yet. Thanks for caring.
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 2:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whew! That's somewhat comforting to hear. Hope the rest of your family is fine too.
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 2:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,
I'm glad to hear you're O.K. I heard about the earthquake on the radio here in San Diego. So, I turned on the television news. I thought I'd remembered from your book that you live in Seattle or at least in Washington.

As a less important aside at this time, I finally got the chance to read some of the posts above. That article mentioned in the magazine Living Without is the one about MSG that helped me make the connection. In turn, I learned about your book from the resource section in the article. (I may have mentioned that in the actual e-mail I'd sent you.) Thank you for letting me know you did receive it. I'm just new at this computer thing and wanted to make sure I'd sent it correctly. I hope you didn't think I was chastising you and I hope that I didn't come across as rude--certainly wasn't my intention. It's hard sometimes to differentiate between actual e-mail and posts and remembering where it all comes from. Unfortunately, that magazine is quarterly at this point, I think. It sells here in San Diego at Whole Foods for $4.95.

Oh, thank you too for the info on the baby cereal. You helped set my mind at ease. I feel like you all (you and others on this site) have become my second family. The immediate support everyone provides each other is indispensible. Thank you.

Anyways, stay safe and keep us posted on you and your family during this aftermath. Christine
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 5:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much, Anon., and Christine, and no, I didn't think you were chastising me at all, Christine. I'm glad you mentioned it, and I discovered I'm still having a few problems sending e mail out. Mike is going to check it out.
As for the earthquake, my mother was in a hospital bed north of the city after knee surgery, and said the bed shook for some time. Pretty frightening for a transplant from New York.

We're all happy to be able to help others on this board. That's why we are here, and we all keep learning new things, even us "old timers".
DJ
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 2:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb A.

I saw clips on the news of the earthquake. It is frightening to watch. I am happy all is well.
I told my daughter that from now on, I will only be purchasing ingredients to make things out of your cookbook. I threw her the book and said "here, pick dinner"!!! I am weary of watching her suffer, and not being able to wake her up after a night of pizza, and Mountain Dew.
(Sometimes ya gotta get tough!!!)

DJ
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 8:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ, way to go! Let her know that you understand how hard it is to give up some favorite "foods" (questionable description), but that it will get easier. The 14 year old son of one woman who called me said that her son now educates his parents about what is healthy and what isn't. MSG was making his life so miserable, he had to leave school for a year. Make lots of treats that can be frozen in individual servings so that when she gets hungry, she can grab something that won't make her suffer. Kids can't stand to feel hunger for a moment, so it's good to be prepared. We make lots of homemade (not microwave) popcorn, dried fruit, and jo-jo's(from white or sweet potatoes) for fast snacks. I always have peeled, sliced carrots, hard-boiled eggs, and almond butter and homemade jam for either homemade bread or Kavli crackers on hand. Mild cheese like whole milk mozzarella is good to offer with apple slices. Instead of soft drinks, get her to drink fresh made lemonade (not bottled juice), or orangeade made from Florida Natural orange juice diluted with water and sweetened to taste. Sometimes "ya gotta get tough" and it's good to assure her that this is really not a new diet. It's the way people used to eat, and that all of you will benefit from it.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 1:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,

I am so relieved to find out you are fine :) I was very worried for you.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 7:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

At 4:18 this morning my radio alarm went off and the local all news radio commentator mentioned that the food industry was making some voluntary changes in their food labeling procedures to help allergic people more easily identify ingredients that might cause reactions. He went on to say that the FDA was applauding this effort.

Regretfully I don't have radio access at my work location so I have not been able to monitor the news for additional info.

Have any of you heard a like story?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Is this the story you are referring to?

http://www.nfpa-food.org/News_Release/release01_04_05.htm
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 7:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal of today carried the story.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 6:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: My village doesn't get either paper...what did the story say?
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 7:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon - Can you access this web site previously posted by Roy so you can see it: http://www.nfpa-food.org/News_Release/release01_04_05.htm
Its all there.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2001 - 7:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the NY Times article about the announcement I heard.

May 31, 2001

Food Makers Agree on Tighter Labeling Guidelines

By GREG WINTER

Racing against the specter of tighter regulation, many of the nation's largest food companies have agreed to specify when the foods they sell contain even tiny amounts of everyday ingredients that can cause potentially fatal allergic reactions.

At the behest of big food makers like Kraft, Hershey, General Mills and Pillsbury, the two largest food industry groups are shaping new voluntary guidelines for the nutrition labels on processed foods. The guidelines will put more information on the face of hundreds of products eaten by millions of consumers and go well beyond what the law does to prevent allergy-provoking ingredients like milk, eggs and nuts from appearing in foods without being identified on the label.

For the roughly seven million Americans who suffer from food allergies, even minuscule amounts of these allergy triggers, or allergens, can cause severe reactions within minutes, or even be lethal. But under the current law, manufacturers can add very small amounts of allergens as incidental ingredients without mentioning them on the packaging, listing them instead under the innocuous-sounding moniker `natural flavors.`

The industry's guidelines are being developed as Democrats in the House and Senate prepare to introduce legislation that would impose even stiffer requirements on the food manufacturers. The bills would require minute amounts of allergens to be described on labels and give the Food and Drug Administration the authority to fine companies that fail to comply, something the agency cannot currently do.

``We simply can't rely on the industry's good faith to protect consumers with potentially fatal food allergies,'' said Senator Edward M. Kennedy, who is sponsoring one of the bills. ``Trust only gets us so far.''

Food industry officials said they adopted the new guidelines to eliminate the need for any additional legislation and show lawmakers that everything found on the inside of their products is described clearly on the outside as well.

``We'll definitely be doing some food allergy 101 on the Hill,'' said Lisa D. Katic, science director for the Grocery Manufacturers of America, a group of about 140 food companies, including Kraft, Nestle and General Mills.

In addition to identifying trace additives, companies adhering to the new guidelines are supposed to list ingredients by their common names. Consumer groups have long complained that ingredients are often identified on labels by obscure formal names, like ''casein'' for milk or ''albumin'' for eggs. The new information is likely to be in the ingredients list found on every packaged food, but manufacturers will have a fair amount of latitude in making the new information fit the many shapes and sizes of their packages.

``Consumers want more information about ingredients in products,'' said Stephen Milton, a spokesman for Unilever, which owns Ben & Jerry's ice cream and Entenmanns baked goods, among other brands. ``We have to meet that. Transparency for us is key.''

Though the guidelines are entirely voluntary, industry officials argue that companies have a strong financial incentive to adopt them. Allergic consumers may not be a huge part of the market, but they are hardly negligible, either. Many of the afflicted are children whose parents do the shopping and assiduously keep any allergy-inducing products out of the house and away from the whole family.

Once a few companies start catering to those customers by providing more detailed accounts of their products, others may have to follow suit or risk developing a reputation for being unconcerned, or even misleading, the trade groups argue.

``We are hoping that the marketplace drives this issue,'' said Regina Hildwine, food labeling director of the National Food Processors Association, which represents about 400 food companies. ``Allergic consumers are going to choose the product that gives them more information. After all, it is their safety that is at stake and nobody's more aware of it than they are.''

Relatively little is known about the cause of food allergies, but more than 30,000 people a year are rushed to emergency rooms around the country because of them, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma. And while the reaction, known as anaphylaxis, can be usually be treated with a shot of epinephrine, food allergies kill as many as 200 people a year.

Most of the illnesses occur in homes or at restaurants, and are not the fault of a manufacturer. But when it comes to purchasing food in stores, labels serve as the front line of defense for most consumers, and consumers sometimes get sick because of incomplete or inaccurate information on a product's packaging.

Last year, David Parkinson, an 11-year-old New York City resident who nearly died after taking a sip of milk at the age of 2, gulped down a Saratoga fruit smoothie. Having grown up scrutinizing labels, David checked but saw no mention of the trace amounts of milk and egg proteins that were used to thicken the drink. Because the amounts were so small, the manufacturer was not required to disclose their presence.

Almost immediately, David's breathing became labored, his chest turned bright red, he broke out in quarter-sized hives and was rushed to the emergency room, where he recovered after treatment.

``Our lives are run by the labels,'' said Susan Leavitt, David's mother. ``To have done all the right things and found out that it didn't really matter, because they had not been up front about what was in there, really shook our confidence.''

One thing the new packages will not include is a warning label, or a symbol, prominently declaring that a given product contains allergens. Last May, a coalition of attorneys general in nine states, from New York to Wyoming, petitioned the F.D.A. to require such labeling, but food industry officials worried that the warnings could alarm consumers and scare away business.

There is yet another impetus for food companies to change the labels before regulators do: recalls. According to the F.D.A., there has been a steady rise in the amount of food that is pulled from store shelves for failing to list not just incidental additives - which is legal - but also some primary ingredients, which is not. The industry hopes that the new guidelines will make food companies more careful.

``The recalls are a persistent problems that we would like to see go away,'' said Ms. Hildwine.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 7:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a very helpful article about sulfites can be found in the Spring 2001 edition of Sully's LIVING WITHOUT (a magazine for people with food and chemical sensitivities). Web site: \topurl http://www.livingwithout.com,http://www.livingwithout.com} ---- unfortunately the article is not available at the site.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 1:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the link again:

http://www.livingwithout.com/
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 3:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2 articles re Biotech & Allergies of possible interest in today's NY Times:

1. "As Biotech Crops Multiply, Consumers Get Little Choice -- Altered Types Found Even in Organic Food -- Experts See an Inexorable Trend". Sunday New York Times 6/10/01. Page 1 – Lead story - See: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/10/business/10GENE.html?searchpv=nytToday

2. "The Allergy Prison”. Sunday New York Times 6/10/01 Magazine section (“For more parents, terror lurks in every lunchbox and no precaution goes far enough . . . “) – See: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/10/magazine/10ALLERGY.html?searchpv=nytToday
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 5:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Next they'll be splicing auxigro-like glutamate genes into bioengineered crops to act as internal growth enhancers:

http://www.napa.ufl.edu/99news/alga.htm
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 7:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris and Roy: I was so funked out, I couldn't even respond to these until I read the NTXA website. The picture is so bleak, so depressing but with folks like Deb A and all those at truth in labelling and Mark Davis (does he work for a specific group?)...anyway, my gosh, bless them.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 4:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are all in this together, Judy T. None of us can do it alone, and we are no different or any more talented or important than any one of you who take the time to share the truth with others. Thanks for your very needed support!
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 3:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Seattle Post Intelligencer had an article about the Frito Lay Company a few days ago. Apparently, several people got very ill, some with neurological problems, after eating some of their corn and potato chips, as I recall. When they complained to the company, they got a few free coupons for more of the products. As it turns out, there is evidence from letters within the company, that showed tests on the products confirmed the presence of dangerous chemicals, but it was covered up, and the people were not given the truth. One woman described her symptoms after eating some flavored Doritos, and I had to laugh...sorry, but they were the same symptoms I would get, too!
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Nation had an article written by Alexander Stille about a movement in Europe. It's called Slow Food. It began in Italy and it's proponents want to save pure foods and preserve agricultural diversity by doing things the old fashioned, organic way. The website is http://www.slowfood.com There may just be hope for us yet. I think the worlds of the environmentalist and the gourmand are about to collide.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The link for the whole article is http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20010820&s=stille
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent article Carol. Thank you!
Let's hope this has an effect by promoting "a pleasure-loving environmentalism that does not reject consumption per se but the homogenization and high-speed frenzy of chain-sote, fast food life".
For others, it may be worth printing Nation's 3 part article for reading when you have time. If you go directly to the slowfood.com site, you can sign up for their free email newsletter and see back issues.
Judy T
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ: I tried e-mailing them and froze up my computer. Seems you had no trouble; thanks...I'll try again.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine froze the first time too.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

McDonald's just announced today that they will be more forthcoming about what is in their "natural flavors" after some vegetarians sued them over hiding beef in the "natural flavors" for their french fries. Will other companies come clean too? And will your average Joe finally now start to question what natural flavor really means?
Marcia
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 5:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H,
Concerning McDonalds and natural flavors. It was also in our local paper today.
It's a start but of course most people don't know about free glutamates. It still looks ok to most uninformed people.
http://www.mcdonalds.com/

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page