Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Restaurants - Good and Bad

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Restaurants - Good and Bad « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
All of the Drugs We LoveDeb A.1-16-01  8:15 am
Olive Garden experienceCarol H7-06-01  12:02 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 9:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad:

KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) gives the biggest MSG reactions, even to people that are not sensitive to MSG.

I think MSG is their so secret ingredient :)
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 10:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You bet it is! My daughter's friend worked there and she said it was added to the biscuits and everything else. KFC was asked to leave India because the people were getting sick who ate there. That was a couple years ago.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Krispy Kreme Donuts.....sound good, don't they? And boy are they a home run on Wall Street. But guess what? I ate one yesterday and within 2 hours had my usual MSG reaction of red, swollen, itchy and oozing blisters.

Avoid those tasty donuts as they obviously contain MSG.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 7:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have eaten at many Indian restaurants and never had an MSG reaction. I wish I could enjoy American, Chinese, Thai, and other cuisines as freely.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 7:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know Roy, you are right. I too have eaten at many Indian restaurants without any reaction. Nice to know we have somewhere to go.
I also have had luck with some good Italian restaurants. But I always ask anyway because I hate to suffer.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto to the Indian restaurants. But I learned the hard way that "medium" heat for the spice
when given a choice is sometimes "extremely" hot! Mild at the place we go to is like the "hot" in pretty hot salsa.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto to the Indian restaurants. But I learned the hard way that "medium" heat for the spice
when given a choice is sometimes "extremely" hot! Mild at the place we go to is like the "hot" in pretty hot salsa.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 6:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have totally given up restaurants except when I want to have a simple poached egg out for breakfast. My social life has suffered greatly for this! I am so excited that Indian restaurants may be an option!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 7:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im lucky that the people at a local Chinese restaurant know us by now, and they know our problem with MSG. They will stir fry fresh vegetables with beef strips (or without) in oil and only salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and fresh garlic and ginger. I eat it with panfried noodles or plain rice and may add a little sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the table. I have found that many restaurants can be accomodating if you are pleasant and tell them you can end up in the hospital if you get MSG by mistake. Showing the MSG aliases card helps, too.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 4:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found Chinese restaurants are actually much more sympathetic to MSG sufferers. Many places by me do not add MSG at all, and even steer you clear of the soy sauce too, if you are sensitive. They are quite respectful.
danettajamal
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 10:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello im also have really bad reaction to msg and were i was from alot of the restaurant workers didnt even know what msg is im very glad to find other people with the same problem thanks
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the past, I would depend on waiters to know the answers to my questions about MSG. Now I ask to see actual bottle or can labels, even when they assure me they don't add MSG. Most times I am able to point out autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein or something else to them. Most are very surprised and made newly aware of hidden forms of MSG. When I tell them I am "deadly allergic" to MSG, it works...they don't understand the words "sensitive" to MSG. Often my inquiry will start a good conversation about MSG with someone, even the waiter, who will say, "gee, my sister gets that symptom all the time....",etc. Learn the hidden sources of MSG and make sure you value your health enough to ask the questions, even though it may feel uncomfortable at first. It WILL get easier, and you will learn what to avoid.
Joanne Gruskin
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 1:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so happy to see some of the same people from our nomsg.com website. What happened to it?

Restaurants--
2 nights ago, grilled tuna and salad with no dressing at Roadhouse Grill--still trying to shake the migraine. Who knows, maybe the marinade on the tuna. Sure did taste good, but...

I live in Miami and have found all Cuban restaurants to be safe. Ditto for the rest of the South American restaurants: Argentinean, Chilean, Brazilian, except for the sausages and Mexican if I don't touch the soup. I don't touch soup anywhere because I fear the stock.

Forget Chinese food. I always get lulled into thinking if they say nomsg, I will be OK.

Thai food has been ok for me, as well as Greek food.

Korean food was a problem, but maybe because I ate the soup pots. Will try again.

No barbecue sauce or salad dressing anywhere.

Nathan's French fries are safe for me, but nothing else. I do ok with all French fries, except the ones with the mixed seasoning.

Believe it or not, I do fine with the soft serve frozen yogurt from McDonalds. I have been eating the sundaes & McFlurrys with no problem.

No Cracker Barrel. The problem might have been the little packet of sour cream.

Best to all.

Joanne
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 4:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thai peanut sauce gave me no trouble, but the curry was a killer (unlike Indian curry). Never risked Thai food again.

Greek food has never been a problem, but once a friend's order came topped with a thick brown sauce - they're usually loaded with MSG.

Visited Miami last winter and frequented the Las Vegas Cuban food restaurant chain - delicious, no reactions, and cheap besides.

Chinese food - always a risk, no matter what I ate, until I began ordering everything steamed, with no sauce, accompanied by white rice (no soup or egg roll). A bit bland, but I add pepper and a little sugar, and stick with a dish that has a little more fat for flavor to make up for the lack of oil (Ex: shrimp or dark meat chicken with cashew nuts).

Salad dressings? I always ask for oil & vinegar & put them on myself.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 6:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do find yourself in a Chinese restaurant, Chinese food always must be ordered with care, but it can be done. Ask for stir fried snow peas, waterchestnuts, ginger, and chicken (no marinade) cooked in only peanut oil, with sesame oil added for flavor, and plain white rice. Always tell them you are allergic to soy so they skip any soy sauce or tofu, and that you can't have MSG. It's simple for them to make, and they usually have those ingredients there, especially the fresh veggies. And with some salt, you'd be amazed how good this tastes.

At any American restaurant remember lemons. Restaurants always have lemons- they use them in drinks, and every seafood entree comes with them. No self-respecting restaurant is without lemons. I use them on everything.

In my water or plain seltzer -so I avoid soft drinks
On my salad instead of vinegar
On my french fries with salt instead of ketchup
On my seafood.

If you do use lemons, be sure to rinse your mouth well with a good swallow of water since the acidity can affect tooth enamel.

And, because they already are acidic, they do not brown easily when cut, so you avoid that fruit fresh problem Deb A brought up earlier. Restaurants don't need to treat lemons to keep them looking fresh. Lemon juice is what Grandma used to keep other fruit from turning brown once cut.

Olive oil is a safe bet, and restaurants usually always have it. I dip my bread in it instead of using butter. It doesn't take that much to get used to it. I pour it on my baked potatoes too, instead of butter.

Many chefs don't mind making something simpler for you. You may think you are being a pain by asking, but really, it is easier for them to make a simpler dish, and it costs them less too.

My friends love to go out to eat, and I'd rather go along than stay home by myself. Socially,it definitely helps to develop strategies for dealing with restaurants. To tell you the truth, I am much more afraid of family events and parties where "Aunt Jane" just won't reveal her secret recipe.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 9:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said, Carol, and I certainly couldn't agree with you more about family affairs! Last year my husband ended up in emergency after eating some things I told him I was suspicious of. He was just too tempted and tried them anyway, and paid a high price. The pain in his upper abdomen, and violent vomiting for 6 hours were terrible to witness. (His own father's throat closes off when he gets too much MSG so he has to induce vomiting) At the hospital, where they ruled out everything else, I asked the doctor if he saw much of this during the holidays. He laughed and in this small town we were visiting, told us that he had seen 20 just like Mike in the last little while after Thanksgiving. He said it was probably too much turkey, and I told him how turkey was injected with MSG. He was shocked, and said he didn't realize that. You cannot begin to imagine the increase in e mail I receive during the holidays when people eat so much more excitotoxin-laden "party" dishes and snacks. Check my KOMO radio interview where this is discussed (on this site). So please, anyone who is visiting here and is suspicious of an MSG sensitivity, learn what to avoid during this time of the year so that you can actually enjoy the holidays.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 12:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb is right. If you can, invite friends and family to your house. They will appreciate safe foods that are made from scratch. If you go somewhere else, bring a dish with you that you know you can eat. Who knows? It may be a hit and people will be asking for your safe recipes.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2000 - 12:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. About Thai food. A friend of mine who is Thai used to cook for us often before I discovered the problems with MSG. A staple in the kitchen of a Thai cook is something called fish sauce. It is probably NOT a safe ingredient for the folks visiting this site. Also, I remember cabbage was often used for scooping up dips and meats. Cabbage contains goitrogens which affect the thyroid and are not something you want to eat a lot of if you have a sluggish thyroid, which many MSG sensitive people do. I'd go easy on the cabbage, and avoid fish sauce in Thai food. Many of the meats on skewers are marinaded, so be aware of what is in the marinade of grilled items too.
Vicki K.
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 6:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me of a safe Turkey brand, for this Thanksgiving? I am already dreading Thanksgiving dinner, if I could find a safe brand, then I could let my mother-in-law know. She is not big on changes, but at least I would be able to eat the turkey.
Thanks!
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 9:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vicki, look for one that says "No Additives". Sometimes the words, "minimally processed" can mean it contains additives or not, so the best thing to do it to visit the grocery store and write down the name of the turkeys you are wondering about, the name of the company and any pertinent information that will lead to a phone number or e mail address. Then contact the plant manager and ask. The butcher can help you, also. Sometimes a safe turkey can be found in health food supermarkets. Look in the papers for farmers who raise turkeys. I have a friend who raises them and plans to have one for me next year. If all else fails, find a chicken that does not bother you, and roast and stuff a couple. One year I made my own dressing and put half in a buttered casserole dish, and then added boneless chicken breasts that I knew were safe for me, and another layer of dressing. I covered it with foil to roast, and everyone loved it. I ALWAYS make our favorite fresh cranberry dressing by processing together one bag of cranberries, one apple, one orange (I include the zest, but remove most of the white pith), and one cup of sugar, which you can reduce. The emphasis is FRESH vegetables and fruits, and gravy made without bouillion cubes or dry soup mix, like my mother did one year. I was sick for 3 days! Beware of the tempting desserts during the holidays by making your own and bringing them along to parties if you have to. I found an Acme Turkey to be fine, but it's produced in our state. Look for more local turkeys as they may not be injected with as many preservatives and additives like the huge companies that process and ship, like
Butterball Turkeys, etc.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 10:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found Jaindl brand from Pennsylvania to be good. Has anyone else tried these too?
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 11:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Empire Kosher brand of Chicken and turkey are safe and are available from Trader Joe's. Their website is:

http://www.empirekosher.com

Also in AZ, Youngs Farms chickens and turkeys are safe and delicious. They are in Dewey, AZ and ship to some western states. I have already ordered mine from them.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 6:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Thai restaurant in Chicago name Arun's. We went there last night with some apprehensions since we had never had Thai food before, but since some here had stated they found Thai food safe, I thought I would brave it. The headwaiter made sure that everyone in our party was aware of the types of food that would be served putting special emphasis on finding out if anyone had allergies to shellfish. I stated that I was severely sensitive to MSG and was assured that they did not allow any MSG in their food preparation and that all food to be presented was made by their chefs from scratch - including sauces.

It was a 7-course meal with each entrée, although small, presented marvelously. The entrees were spaced with sufficient time to clear one's palate for the next. It seemed as though the entrees became progressively spicier, but each had uniquely interesting flavors. One of the dinner attendees was a wine expert and ordered the appropriate wines to complement each entrée. They were all foreign wines so I felt safer than if they had been the California wines with "natural flavors."

Amazingly I remained reaction free and sufficiently satiated after 3 1/2 hours of dining. But be prepared for the bill when it comes. The dinners are a set price of $75 per person and the wine bill added up to almost the same price. Our bill with tip was $275 per couple. Not something I would do very often, but considering I did not have any reactions, it was worth the one time shot and the company was pleasurable.
CDL
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 4:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've only figured out the MSG thing this year after hearing about my friend's sensitivity. She gets terrible headaches, suffers short term memory problems, and can't function mentally. I'm not so bad, but I do get "space head," difficulty concentrating, and occasionally, tightness in my chest and mild headaches. The worst reaction I've had was from Boston Market. It's in the marinade and bread, so just about everything they serve, except the ham and mac & cheese. The soup from Finagle a Bagel made me a bit loopy to.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 9:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An A to Z list of Jack in the Box restaurant menu offerings and their ingredients can be scrolled though in the link below:

http://www.jackinthebox.com/press/ingredients.html
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 1:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are wonderful, Roy! All of us learn so much from your research efforts and links. Thank you so much.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's another place NOT to eat at!

http://burgerking.com/nutrition/ingredients.htm
Deb S
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 6:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carl's Jr. posts "nutritional info" on their website, but not ingredients. http://www.carlsjr.com They sent me a booklet listing all the ingredients of their menu items (and for Green Burrito). They're just as bad, if not worse, than McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box, et al. Interestingly, they indicate some of the items as *(contains glutamate) [that notation and "monosodium glutamate" are in bold type]; but of course they do not do that for all of the glutamate sources, mainly some hydrolyzed proteins.

My mom had a bad reaction to a Carl's Jr. burger w/BBQ sauce on it (hours in the bathroom), and she doesn't consider herself sensitive to MSG. Here is a sampling:

*Beef Sirloin Flap Steak
Tenderized with a solution of Ficin and/or Bromelin. Marinated with up to 7% of a solution of water, salt, natural beef flavor (hydrolyzed corn, wheat, soy protein (contains glutamate), autolyzed yeast (contains glutamate), maltodextrin, and beef broth), garlic powder, sodium tripolyphosphate, dextrose, hydrolyzed corn gluten, hydrolyzed wheat gluten, sugar, spice extractives.

*Chicken Stars
Chicken, water, seasoning [modified food starch, salt, sodium phosphate, hydrolyzed milk protein, sugar, hydrolyzed soy protein (contains glutamate)], food starch modified.
BREADED WITH: enriched wheat flour (niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yeast, dextrose, and iodized salt.
BATTERED WITH: water, bleached wheat flour, food starch modified, sugar, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate), salt, spices, buttermilk solids, dried whole eggs, soy flour, dextrose, and garlic powder.
PREDUSTED WITH: bleached wheat flour, durum flour, salt, vital wheat gluten, spices, garlic powder, soybean oil, and natural flavor. Breading set in hot soybean oil.

*Chili
Beef, water, tomato paste, seasoning (spices, yellow corn flour, dehydrated onion, salt, soy protein isolate, garlic powder), chili powder (chili pepper, cumin, salt, garlic and oregano), masa flour (corn treated with lime water and specially ground, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin), salt, autolyzed yeast extract (contains glutamate), paprika, spices.

Sauce, BBQ
1/2 Gallon
Corn sweeteners, water, tomato paste, prepared mustard, natural flavor, salt, vinegar, onions, garlic, spices, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate (preservative), propylene glycol, alginate, lemon juice, potassium sorbate (preservative), thiamine hydrochloride, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, dextrose.
*1 oz Cup
Corn syrup, water, tomato paste, prepared mustard (distilled vinegar, mustard seed, salt, tumeric, spices), high fructose corn syrup, natural flavor, vinegar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, spices, hydrolyzed corn gluten and soy proteins (contains glutamate), xanthan gum, sodium benzoate (preservate), propylene glycol alginate, potassium sorbate (preservative), autolyzed yeast (contains glutamate).

Note that the BBQ sauce in gallons does not indicate (contains glutamate), yet it has two MSG potentiators (disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate) in the ingredients, in addition to natural flavor and hydrolyzed vegetable protein.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 8:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No wonder we are an overweight people, with a growing number of people suffering from neurological, psychological, emotional, and physical disorders, young and old. The lists from all the other fast food places, where Americans eat almost daily, are much the same, if not worse.
Thanks for posting that, Deb S.. It is an eye opener.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 5:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's what you get at Burger King! Talk about chemical cocktails!!!!!!!!!!!! Our poor, poor children!

A typical artificial strawberry flavor, like the kind found in a
Burger King strawberry milk shake, contains the following ingredients:
amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate,
benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl
isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl,
dipropyl ketone, ethyl acetate, ethyl amyl ketone, ethyl butyrate,
ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyl heptylate, ethyl lactate,
ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl
valerate, heliotropin, hydroxyphenyl-2-butanone (10 percent solution
in alcohol), a-ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate, lemon
essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl anthranilate,
methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbonate, methyl
naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential oil, neroli
essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter, phenethyl
alcohol, rose, rum ether, g-undecalactone, vanillin, and solvent.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 9:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It takes an awful lot of work by some chemists to recreate what nature does so easily. Why not use real strawberries, Burger King?
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In many cases, that's what kids are getting in chewable vitamins, fruit flavored cereals, popsicles, fruit "flavored" drinks and candies. We are in big trouble. Our children are our future, and it looks pretty grim.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just saw this on the web:

"Monosodium Glutamate -

a white crystalline organic compound having the formula COOH-(CH2)2CH(NH2)COONa. Monosodium glutamate is normally called "MSG". It imparts a meaty flavour to the foods it is added to. Most vegetarians, whether they admit it or not, have metabolisms that desperately crave meat. Thus they find themselves addicted to and continually craving MSG. There may be other, more biochemical, reasons for MSG's addictiveness. Fast food franchises are wise to this characteristic of MSG and each appears to be contributing to an MSG-race in a competitive effort to make its food the most addictive and thus maximize its core customer base. It would be difficult to add much MSG to a cheeseburger without making it taste funny, but the taste of Chinese food is the taste of MSG. That probably accounts for its enormous popularity."
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting, Roy. Who is the author?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe it was from a radio station web site, and I don't think there was a specific author mentioned. It was a tiny part of a much larger site that otherwise had nothing to do with MSG.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just thought it would be good to quote some time, and people always want to know where it came from. Thanks. You don't know the site, do you?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 6:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,

I deliberately hadn't saved the address I quoted from, but did another search and found it again. Here it is, but beware, there's plenty to offend on this site:

http://www.spies.com/~gus/bigfun/k-m.htm
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 6:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a directory of restaurant chains on the web, with the linked ones underlined:

http://www.flash.net/~rblynn/home/rests.htm
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 8:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before your next visit to a Pizza Hut, check out the ingredients at their web site:

http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/nutrition/Ingredients.htm
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yikes Roy...another company feeding people chemical cocktails!
Christine K.P.S.
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 8:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And to think that I used to eat there years ago???!!! I had no idea. Thank you for enlightening us.
Mary
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW I just had a baked potato w/butter & sour cream at Arby's--thought that would be pretty safe--when I got back to the office I checked the nutritional guide I had there because I was having some abdominal pain--in the margarine/butter blend there is whey and artificial flavor. In the "sour cream," (I don't know how they can call it that) there is modified food starch, gelatin, citric acid, sodium caseinate, guar gum, artificial flavor, and carageenan!! Hard to say WHAT didn't agree with me. :(
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 3:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also in the big, giant potato was AuxiGro.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 4:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a food process engineer I am always amazed to see just how many unecessary thickeners they throw into something so simple as sour cream. It's like they were afraid the food starch, gelatin, and guar gum wouldn't work so they had to use carageenan too. As if they would offend the carageenan salesman or something. Jeesh! Talk about overkill.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 5:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a real sore spot for me, too, Carol. For so many years we enjoyed sour cream that consisted of just sour cream, and it was thick and wonderful. I think producers don't want to wait for the time it takes to thicken up naturally with natural cultures.
Mary
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 6:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH yes I forgot about the Auxigro. I don't know much about that. So 10 possible sources of MSG in one "simple" baked potato . . .
Evelyn H.
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did recently see that Old Home (I think) has a sour cream that's supposed to be just sour cream. We bought some and neither my husband nor I had any reaction. I think it's called Simply Sour Cream or something like that.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 9:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ate some Planter's dry roasted unsalted peanuts for a couple days in a row. It probably totalled a cup. Last night I had a slight headache and I had to run to the bathroom several times.(bright yellow burny stool) Now I just belch and have gas and a very bloated and uncomfortable stomach. I know I react to MSG with a massive headache and depression , but this was a little different. What could they be adding to unsalted peanuts? MSG is salty, and these weren't.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 9:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AuxiGro could be sprayed on the peanuts while they are growing. Auxigro is 29% MSG. Or maybe it was 39%. Anyway, it's probably in the peanuts themselves.
Deb S
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 11:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are plenty of MSG substitutes that don't contain sodium. See hidden names for MSG for a list of ingredients that always or often contain glutamate. Anything you see on the label besides peanuts is suspect. Plus I understand that a lot of products have some amount of sulfites in them, which isn't listed on the label.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, MSG barely has a taste of it's own, although it is added mainly to salty processed foods. It has a slightly metallic taste. Companies that make MSG try to push the fact that MSG contains less sodium per teaspoon than regular salt. That would be fine, if the glutamate portion wasn't the real business end of the MSG molecule that causes all of the trouble with blood pressure. Don't go by the salty taste. Also, go by how many products a company makes that contain MSG. Most of the Planters products contain MSG. Avoid products from companies like Planters that overuse MSG.
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 11:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe how much the public doesn't know about this garbage in our food. Thanks, all, for the tips. I will never touch Planter's peanuts again. Are there any safe peanuts at all? What about organic peanuts? I like to snack on protein foods, but it is getting more difficult for me to do that. I will get Deb A.'s book. I have heard good things about it. Maybe there are ideas for snack foods. I'm real sick of getting poisoned! I notice that some cheeses don't bother me and many do. Is there a rule of thumb about cheese? Thnaks for any advice in advance.
laurie M
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 6:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the label on the peanuts. I had some Planters Peanuts that had monosodium glutamate right on the label. I couldn't believe it. I think they were the ones you described.
Julie
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know anything about BHT & BHA, it just doesn't sound very healthy
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 7:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Julie,

Per the article linked below, "Well respected researcher, Dr. David Horrobin, describes BHT, BHA, tartrazine and other coloring materials as "...inhibitors of the conversion of essential fatty acids to prostaglandins or are chemically related to such known inhibitors."

Al Czap reports that there may be long term hazardous effects of taking such chemicals on a regular basis in vitamin and mineral supplements including coronary artery disease. BHT, BHA, chlorinated pesticides such as DDT, plasticizers, aromatics, as well as some alkanes (saturated hydrocarbons such as paraffin or wax) have been found deposited in the plaque of individuals suffering from coronary artery disease."

http://www.selene.com/healthlink/hazards.html
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 2:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is BHT in all vitamins and mineral supplements?
I know it's in the packaging of a lot of cereals.
Pretty nasty preservative!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 11:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure you're all smart enough to know this, but I'll post to share my recent restaurant experience. For my nephew's birthday, my sister-in-law decided to have everyone meet at Old Country Buffet. I've never been a fan of the place, but decided we'd go along, figuring we could find food that wasn't loaded with MSG.

Well, neither my husband nor I succeeded. My son barely ate anything (sometimes the 6-year-old is smarter than the adults). My husband and I ended up with headaches, which is odd, because neither of us normally gets headaches from MSG or from other sources like stress.

I know, we should have known better, but... Anyway, just wanted to warn others to avoid that restaurant.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 4:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I visited an Old Country Buffet and asked them what they had without MSG. They said "nothing" and I walked back out. At least they were honest.

Their web site is http://www.buffet.com

They can be contacted at:
webmaster@buffet.com
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 6:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last year I was invited by the Lion's Club to speak at one of their meetings. Guess where they meet each month???? Yep, Old Country Buffet...it felt very strange! :)
Jay
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 8:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BHA and BHT will give you a splitting headache rivaling your best MSG reaction! I learned this the hard way, too, by eating cereals which used it. Honey Nut Cheerios, though, are a staple and have not caused any reaction whatsoever. They don't use BHA/BHT. The fact is, any processed food, restaurant food, etc. is bad for you for a gazillion reasons. Too much fat, salt, sugar...why eat the junk at all?
ren
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, and thanks again for useful info!
--I haven't seen a post on "Taco-Bell" , yet... although I haven't looked through thoroughly yet.

*** KFC, and Popey's,,,, sure I know that, but what's with Taco Bell's secretiveness on their ingredients? Those tacos give me a reaction just like other fast food with msg. --and I do like them. --- but it's a big-time reaction. You'd think they couldn't hide it for long....

p.s.--- taco bueno seems to be better... at least not much reaction for me..
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 4:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ren,

Taco Bell's web site lists things like sodium content, but if you want lists of ingredients, they make you call them:

"If you have any questions about Taco Bell® and nutrition or are particulary sensitive to specific ingredients or foods, please contact us at 1-800-TACO BELL"
ren
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 6:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Roy. This will be an ongoing enlightenment for me that'll take some time. I knew of some effects I experienced with msg, but really did not know all the other stuff I'm finding. --Not just on this site, but from university thesis writings, and a couple of gov pages... ( thus my revelation of why cheep thanksgiving turkeys made me sick ( and my Dog!!)

-Thanks for all the good info presented here. :)

ps. on your other post up a couple... I agree-- if only they would be honest about the presence of it , i'd gladly pay the cost of the food without eating it. I am shocked by the dishonesty our own gov allows... even in thier own words.

oh, and p.s.s.- I did see that info on the tacobell site. -I might contect them.... but I cannot dispute how it makes me feel.
DebbieD
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 8:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about Potassium Sorbate? I have some apricots with this in the ingredients. I have a feeling this is not okay?

And, I'm suspecting Advil and/or Claritin is giving me some reaction trouble. ANyone have any info on this?
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to Ruth Winter's book on preservatives, Potassium Sorbate is considered safe (orally taken) by the FDA, but she states that it may cause irritation of the skin. However, MSG is considered safe, too. You might read the labels of several Ibuprofen meds to determine which looks the least threatening. I have had to try several and I do not like the one I have just tried in the last month from Costco. I will look for a better generic brand. Find out what the fillers and binders are in the Claritin. They may contain glutamate. If you take it every day, it may be the culprit.
cheryl
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 8:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie, My son can't take advil or most over the counter meds. You can have your doctor write a RX for IB profin made up without any additives. They can make other meds up this way too. My son takes Clariton redi tabs that dissovle in his mouth. He has no reactions to those but can't take any tablets of any kind. He is also sulfite sensative.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 8:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD,

Claritin gave me no trouble, but didn't help me either (in contrast to Allegra, one pill of which made me sick as a dog for days):

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=19658&name=CLARITIN

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page