Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pancake syrup

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Pancake syrup « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 3:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's nothing quite as good as pure maple syrup, but this is a good alternative, especially for those who may react to the molasses in brown sugar in some syrup recipes.
Bring to a boil 4 cups of cane sugar and 1 1/4 cups water, and let boil on medium heat until it just starts to become a light gold color. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes. It will begin to harden, but that's okay. Using either very hot tap water or boiling water, preferably, pour about 2 cups into the sugar, being very careful. The sugar will still be very hot and the water may spatter. I do this in the sink. Place back on a hot burner and stir to dissolve. It will get thicker as it cools and you may even want to thin it some more. I add some salt and vanilla or a couple tablespoons of real maple syrup. I have poured the hot syrup in pint canning jars, placed clean lids on, and they have sealed nicely for pantry storage.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 3:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanksgiving is just the beginning of the "holiday temptation" ordeal for many of us. Last year when my husband "succombed" to the many offerings at a family dinner, he ended up in the hospital. This year we are staying home and being more careful.
Some of you are leary of canned pumpkin and the evaporated milk in most pumpkin pies. I discovered that baked butternut squash makes a delicious substitute for pumpkin, along with RiceDream rice drink for the milk. I add some melted butter to cream it up, but that's optional. Instead of the rice milk, you can use organic whole milk or a safe cream and water or milk. Look for cream without carrageenan or other gums added. Seems like more and more dairies are adding thickeners like those in commercial egg nogs. Of course, you can always opt for a different pie this year like our favorite, apple pie made with McIntosh apples piled high! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
jj
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 4:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I first started through the mine field of eliminating MSG containing foods I made a pumpkin pie and was very sick afterwards. I narrowed it down to the cream which I learned WAS pure cream but that been ULTRA pasturized and therein lies the problem--over heating of a product. Now I use whole milk and get along fine.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 10:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jj-Ultra pasteurizing is poisonous to many of us. I first reported my reaction to milk (organic) on the NoMSG website many months ago and the good folks here (Ray Piwovar, I think) alerted me to the problems with ultra pasteurization process. I get horrible chills, lay down shivering and unable to get warm and than I pass out for 2-4 hours. When I wake up, I feel like I have been drugged!
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel like that when I have an allergic reaction to dairy products.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 12:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry, Carol,and jj, I've had a couple reactions over the holidays that confused me. I rarely get headaches or stomach problems now, so I tried very hard to uncover the culprit. Each time I suspected the cream I used. It is not ultrapasteurized and all it says on the label is cream. My strong suspicion is that something else is going on here. My reaction is a little different with lots of itching, too, which I used to get long ago before I made the MSG connection. I am thinking that other preservatives are being added to paper cartons, or the bovine growth hormone is effecting people. This was not organic cream. New feeds and antibiotics are also questionable. As for ultrapasteurization, I can see it creating more free glutamate in milk, as I state in our book, but cream is mostly fat, not protein, so I question the amount of free glutamate present in cream. It would be easier for me to believe that even the creams labeled just cream are adulterated with unlabeled whipping agents like carrageenan, and preservatives than the ultrapasteurization being the main cause for symptoms. Just a hunch.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 4:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,

I noticed on an organic butter I saw recently that although the ingredients just say cream and salt, it also mentions that it is allowed to ferment. It was explained on the package. It won't be enough now just to look at ingredients.

Carol
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 6:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I seem to recall that fermenting the cream is done in some European countries. The problem in this country is that we have to ruin everything by coming up with some new chemical to do the job that used to done with natural ingredients.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 7:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.- Thanks for your posting. I thought that I was going crazy. I have been itching with red body rashes since mid November...that's right! I am so careful of what I eat that it has been a mystery to me where the reaction is coming from. I take no medication as I am too afraid. So it has to be coming from the food. I'll try and eliminate the cream and butter and see what happens. Thanks.
melissa
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made pumpkin pie with carnation evaporated milk and plain libby's pumpkin, and I used the hodgeson mill unbleached untreated unenriched flour, and alta dena butter (or organic valley works), and regular sugar - we had no reactions to it. But it took me a while to learn about the cream and the butter too. I suspected the evaporated milk may cause problems, because of the carageenan, but it was ok, and we also have used it in our coffee without problems. Maybe this particular carageenan is ok? or maybe we weren't as sensitive. but we are usually very sensitive!
Evelyn H.
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 7:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melissa--If you're looking for an evaporated milk substitution, try Rice Dream plain rice milk. I made a pumpkin pie with it and my son told me it's better than Grandma's (which is likely full of MSG).

Also, for those with access to it--Organic Valley regular cream is wonderful. We made the best ice cream with it a week or so ago. No reactions from anyone.
Melissa
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I too use organic valley regular cream (not ultra pasteurized) - we use it in coffee etc. and whipped for deserts. and we also have no reactions to it - and something I noticed is it whips up better than the "unsafe" brands and stays whipped longer. I feel the additives they put in the big commercial dairy brands keep it from whipping the way it's supposed to.

Thanks, I will try rice dream plain milk next time I make pumpkin pie - or maybe even just milk?

I have a great new recipe for a salad dressing that we really liked if anyone wants it.

2 tbsp prepared mustard (we use Whole Foods Kid's brand)
2 tbsp cider vinegar (I used Bragg's organic cider vinegar - if it's too acidic try using less)
1 tbsp lt brown sugar - (you may want to substitute for another sweetener if you can't handle the sulfites)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp hot red pepper (I used cayenne)
1 cup buttermilk (if you can find any that's safe - but I couldn't so I used plain yogurt)

I make my own yogurt but you can use White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt if you can find it - it's safe. I use it as starter for my homemade yogurt.

We ate this and had no reactions - it was delicious too. I got it off the internet but I believe it came from "Grandma's Wartime Cookbook" by Joanne Lamb Hayes -
Laurie M
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 9:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

melissa,
Add a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to your yogurt and you will have a pretty good equivalent of buttermilk. This works with plain milk too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page