Homemade ice creamshirley18 8-22-01  11:20 am
Easy Risotto RecipeDeb A.2-10-01  5:28 pm
Cheescake!!Laurie M2-25-01  1:33 pm
Breakfeast foods Deb A.38 6-18-01  7:56 pm
Summertime drink ideasChristine K.P.S.13 6-20-01  1:01 pm
OvercookingMEMorrisNJ10-14-01  5:44 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tony
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 2:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Travel ideas: I keep a container in my car that I can also take on an airplane. Each item has been tried and carefully selected as free from sulfites or other 'stuff'. In it are: small container of rice milk, raisins, dried green peas, sesame seeds, almonds and walnuts, one small can of tuna and one of chicken (just in water and salt, of course and a small can opener), dried fruit, ginger chunks, plain rice cakes, and one bottle of spring water. Loose items are kept in plastic zip bags and in small quantities. I am always safe and always feel secure that I can 'make it' if we have travel delays or if there are no stores around.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 7:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tony --- That's a great idea!!! I am going to pull together a kit like this tomorrow. I have yet to see chicken in cans. What brand do you get? Thanks!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 7:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Toni! You give yourself plenty of protein that way, and some tasty snacks. I love the crystalized ginger myself...be sure to look for the ones that are not treated with sulfur dioxide or dextrose. I always bring apples and oranges along on any trip. I don't go anywhere without a liter bottle of water, even if it's to the mall...helps me resist getting the wrong snack when I have the hungries and helps ensure I keep drinking enough water each day. Another thing I do when I am making longer trips is, on the day before a trip, I dredge either hamburger or safe boneless chicken breasts in beaten egg and then flour which I have seasoned well with salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder. Then I saute the pieces in a little oil till well cooked, and then refrigerate a couple pieces for the day of the trip and freeze the rest to also pack. The frozen package helps keep the other foods cold in the cooler, and stay fresher longer if I pack near the small bottles of frozen water I place at the bottom. I have even placed packages of frozen hamburger or chicken on the bottom, and they remain frozen for over a day. Nice to have when we stay at a motel with a kitchen, which is what we look for when traveling. Just be sure to bring along some cooking oil, seasonings, lemons for dressing and for drinks, and anything else you regularly depend on. And refreeze the water bottles each night of the trip. Someone told me about smoked kippered herring and I finally found a brand that was naturally smoked (from Germany) and I eat them on my homemade crackers for a healthy snack. I was surprised that I liked them so much, and vey surprised that they did not contain MSG or preservatives. (Polar brand)
Tony
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 8:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chicken is Valley Fresh, 98% Fat Free, premium chunk, white chicken in water (white chicken, water, salt). I rinse off what I can. It's in a small tin like tuna comes in.
Donna Sawyer
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tony, Doesn't dried fruit contain sulfites to process it? I thought dried apricots especially were a risk?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 8:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donna. Most of us who are sulfite reactive, dry our own fruit or look for sulfite free versions in the health food stores. Even many of the raisins we find today have been sprayed with sulfites or even AuxiGro, a glutamate containing spray. I have had better luck with soaking them in water and changing the water a few times before baking with raisins I suspect may be sulfur treated. We love our own dried bananas, pears, apples, pineapple, and apricots.
Tony
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 8:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donna: I eat one,maybe two pieces, in my emergency kit. Never more. Most of the dry fruit I eat really is small chunks in a combination of rolled oats, raw almonds walnuts and pecans that I put together for myself as my own kind of trail-mix and sometimes add a bit of pumpkin seed and any other seed I might have around. The trick for me seems to be eat only very small amounts of anything but I'm a big guy so I eat lots of different 'small amounts'.
M-Y
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 3:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,
What brand and kind of dehydrator do you use?
I've read that the thermostatic controlled is
the best. Do you have to do anything special to the fruit or does the dehydrator come with adequate directions?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 9:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y, I have a Harvest Maid brand dehydrator and I've had it for so many years, I couldn't tell you where I bought it. It works great and I have found that most of the trays from other companies fit it if I want to add more. I usually add nothing to the cut fruit, but if you want to preserve some color, you can add the juice of a fresh lemon to 6 cups of water in a bowl for a dip. Don't let them soak for long as this will increase drying time. Don't use overripe bananas since they get too sticky and they may cause headaches for some people.
M-Y
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 10:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DEB A,
Thank you for the information.
Does your dehydrator have a thermostat that you
can control?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 6:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has temperatures marked on a nob and the book tells me which one to use for which food. Nothing fancy, but efficient.
Donna Sawyer
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 8:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will have to try drying my own fruit. I have been trying raisins and I am so new to this that I am not sure how it is reacting with me. I am VERY sensitive to the obvious , and not so obvious, names for MSG. However, since I have not been feeling well for so long, and now seem to find more and more things that I am getting headaches from, I am trying hard to leave out "everything" anyone on this site says causes a risk. I am sure this is what has been my problem for years. I can't thank you all enough for the time and effort that you put into this for people like me that are just starting out and realizing that there is more than MSG products that are causing me to be sick all the time. Thanks to all!
Ruth
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 5:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donna,
I get lots of headaches too. You might want to try eliminating foods with tyramine, as well as those with glutamates and sulfites. Tyramine raises blood pressure and can cause headaches. The list of foods containing tyramine is long, but I found that after eliminating several more foods from my diet, I feel much better. Some of the foods that have tyramine and trigger headaches are cheeses, sourdough bread, meats and fish that are not fresh (such as leftovers), many fruits and vegetables including bananas, avacados, canned figs, raisins, rasberries, and red plums, spinach, Chinese pea pods, many beans and tofu, beer, wine, Whiskey and liqueurs, ginseng, chocolate, caffeine, and dairy products such as buttermilk, yogurt, and sour cream. A good web site for tyramine is:
http://www.virtualtrial.com/pcvdiet.cfm

Hope this helps.
Ruth
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 6:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question about beans, as a friend told me to combine them with brown rice for protein. They take a long time to cook. I soaked them overnight and cooked them for @ 30 minutes (organic red beans). Does anyone know if beans are high in free glutamatic acid?
Thanks.
Donna Sawyer
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 6:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ruth. That is quite a list though. I have been living on bananas, raisins, and spinach. I haven't really had headaches but I wonder if it will make a difference if I cut these things out. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 11:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth, lots of cooking does create free glutamate, but the way you are cooking them sounds good. Another way is to bring to a boil first at night and cover and just let them soak. In the morning, pour off all the water and refill and bring to boil again. Cover and remove from the heat once more and let soak till upper time. Most times this will be enough to plump beans. A third time might be necessary for some thicker beans.
I also avoid ripe bananas, but can handle ones not so ripe to avoid headaches.
Joyce T.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 7:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Florida strawberries are here in Ohio, are they OK to eat? Debbi A. uses molasses in many recipes in her book, is there a particular brand I should look for? Is fresh asparagus OK?Sometimes oranges upset my stomach, does anyone know why? Thanks for your help.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 9:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joyce, I use molasses that is unsulfured. However, if you are extremely MSG sensitive, I suggest you use only a tablespoon or two of molasses and the rest honey in recipes that call for 1/2 c. of molasses. I should add that tip in future books. It will give the molasses flavor without excess glutamate, since there is some naturally in molasses. Oranges are now being coated with a lacquer that often contains preservatives and hydrolyzed vegetable proteins. Unless your stomach is upset by the acid content or you are allergic to citrus, I would suggest that you try washing the oranges in warm sudsy water or scrubbing with a baking soda/water paste. I soak them in a bowl of water and a little Dawn, and then wash with a scrubber and rinse. I do this even if I am just squeezing them, too. I notice that the lemons at Costco are now being coated this way. As for all vegetables nowadays, I wash them the same way I do the oranges. It's amazing how much greener a head of broccoli is after such a bath. The waxy coat disappears. We have no way of knowing if the produce has been treated for AuxiGro or not unless we react to it and know we aren't reacting to anything else. Wash the strawberries well. According to reports, strawberries are among the most sprayed fruits on the market. Wish I could help you more.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 9:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joyce -- Molasses is one of those "proceed with caution" foods. MSG is often made from molasses. It is likely to contain some amount of free glutamate, and your degree of sensitivity plus the amount you ingest will determine whether you react or not. While I was learning what I could and couldn't eat, I had molasses (Grandma's unsulfured mild flavor) on my waffles one morning and woke with a migraine the next day. Small amounts are probably OK, but I now avoid products that contain molasses, just in case. Debby's book says to avoid "sulfured" molasses, and cautions that many individuals report that they react to molasses and most brown sugars (p. 28 in my copy); she suggests that if they bother you, you can substitute raw sugar, white sugar or honey (p. 87). I suspect that they are now sneaking more MSG into foods that were once relatively safe, such as molasses and cheeses, in an attempt to broaden their market appeal.
Sue M.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 9:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been using soy milk... does this have msg in it? I get it in the health food store. Is rice milk better?
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 4:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just met a very nice woman at the Whole Foods market who wrote a good recipe book called Higher Choices. Janet Lasky is her name. She reminded me of Debby. She is very motivated to help people eat better. We talked for a good half hour in the store. Her recipes are very wholesome, and sound delicious. The only questionable ingredients in the recipes are Bragg liquid aminos and soy cheese, since these ingredients may contain MSG. Other than these ingredients, the recipes are easy to adapt for an MSG-free diet. http://www.higher-choices.com

Sue, I use Rice Milk, and it has a nice light refreshing taste. It's very good in unsweetened cereal as it has it's own sweetness. I use it instead of milk in recipes.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

I'd definitely skip the Bragg liquid aminos as they are derived from soybeans and contain both glutamic and aspartic acids:

http://www.bragg.com/infoset.html

(click on "liquid aminos" on the left sidebar, and then scroll down on the right)
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 8:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sue, be sure to read rice milk labels, since several brands or varieties within the same brand, contain carrageenan, and other glutamate rich ingredients. I do best with Rice Dream plain rice milk. My granddaughter does fine with the calcium enriched one.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 11:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Roy. I have been trying to find out more about this stuff. It says it is not fermented and the people at the company are a little defensive about being linked to MSG. I'm still not exactly sure how they make this stuff if they don't ferment it. The recipes in Janet's book avoid fermented foods. I did send a quick email to Janet, explaining that people avoiding MSG and allergic to soy may wish to skip the Bragg liquid aminos.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 3:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re Rice Dream i/c/w enzymes, grains & gluten, see:
http://www.gfcfdiet.com/Dairysubstitutes.htm (scroll down and look under Rice Dream)
Deb A,
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, MeMorris. A person will have to decide for themselves just how much protein from the rice that is "freed up", that they can tolerate in this beverage. Anyone here have luck with other such beverages?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page