Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connect...

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I've Just Made the MSG Connection « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
I need help for lunch ideas!Roberta Mayne14 6-06-01  6:41 pm
Help! What can I eat?Donna B15 9-07-01  9:29 am
SugarHoteru29 6-19-01  5:19 pm
Sleep Disorder - MSG/Dairy Connectionclarissa19 7-30-01  7:49 pm
HypoglycemiaJudy T10 6-09-01  11:38 am
MSG and ChildrenCarole6-14-01  5:46 pm
OverwhelmedCarol H57 8-26-01  4:42 am
Safe beers?Deb A.31 7-12-01  9:28 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Cassi
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, I want to say thank you for this site. I tried to get to the NoMSG.com site and can't get in. I'm asking for help because I'm expecting and I am hearing so many bad things abiut MSG and soy products. I know I am reacting to MSG. I've eliminated everything else, and I do want to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. I need any tips you might have. I suspect the vitamins are giving me stomach problems.
Deb S
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 7:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is so wonderful that you are taking steps to avoid ingesting MSG to protect your baby. I only wish I had this information when I was expecting!!! Instead, I relied more and more on prepared and restaurant food in the latter part of my pregnancy because by the end of the day my legs and ankles were so horribly swollen I could not stand in the kitchen and cook something healthy. Guess what was the likely culprit that caused the swelling?! All my tests were fine, so Dr. wasn't worried.

My suggestions to you are to stop taking the vitamins and concentrate on a healthy diet of whole, unprocessed foods. Learn all the hidden names for MSG and eliminate all of them, including the ones in the "often contains MSG" list. Order Debby Anglesey's book from this website for lots of simple, delicious and safe recipes. If you're worried about getting enough folic acid (it's supposed to prevent neural tube defects), get it from real foods. Follow this link to see what types of foods are naturally high in folic acid:

http://www.cyberdiet.com/foodfact/vitmins/folate.html

Last, but not least, keep visiting this board and the one at www.nomsg.com. Keep us posted on your progress and post any questions you might have. Some of those here have been doing this for years and we really are indebted to them for sharing all they've learned.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 7:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi,

Per this link, you might want to avoid aspartame (nutrasweet), also:

http://www.chem-tox.com/pregnancy/pregmsg.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi,
Before we knew about MSG and how it can effect the fetus too, our daughter lost a baby, who had many problems. She came 2 1/2 months early. I'm not trying to scare you, but my daughter remembers how rotten she felt for hours after taking her prescription vitamins each day. After that experience, and our discovery about MSG, our daughter made the decision to not take any supplements,including folic acid. Her doctor worked with her and gave her a list of foods to eat. She posted them on her refrigerator and made them a part of her shopping list. She had a very healthy boy. I remember she ate a lot of kdney beans, and dark leafy greens for folic acid. She said the pregnancy was great, too. You are taking the right steps to help ensure a healthy baby. We wish you the best!
Cassi
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 5:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of you are wonderful to want to help me. Thanks for the links, Deb S. and Roy P. I feel confident that I can get by without vitamins now. I'll tell my doctor what I am doing, too.Deb A., your story about your daughter was so sad, but you are now able to warn other moms like me. I will get the book for sure, Deb S. I am finding it hard to know what to eat for lunch. Any ideas?I never touch aspartame. I could tell right away it was bad stuff.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 4:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi,
You may want to eliminate soy from your diet as well. It contains pytic acid which can bind with important minerals in your diet. It also contains estrogen mimics which are not a good idea if you are expecting, since this is the time that is crucial in your baby's development for proper balance and timing of hormones. If your baby is a boy, it would not be a good idea for you to be ingesting estrogen mimics right now.
Cassi
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 4:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, this is such important information. My doctor never said a thing about soy. I will avoid it. My mother thinks it's great stuff for menapause problems, but I can see from what you say, it's something I will avoid, too. I'm reading all the information on the different sites, and I'm shocked that this junk is allowed at all! Thank you for this great board and for all the help. This site is really excellent, Deb A.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 1:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi, I spelled phytic acid incorrectly, sorry about that. That is the chemical that binds zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium and copper, and makes them insoluble according to my college nutrition text. If you want to learn more about soy a great site is - http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/index.htm.
As for the menopause supplements, isn't it amazing that the general public feeds little boys the same stuff they tout for menopausal women? And they do this without blinking. Be aware that most baked goods nowadays have soy protein added. So read labels on cakes and breads especially.
Cassi
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 2:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, you are a godsend. Thank you. In the last couple days that I haven't taken the vitamins, I have not had one bit of stomach trouble or nausea!
Debby A., I am eating lots of dark green salads, and buying lots of fresh produce. I can see that my husband will be a bit annoyed that I won't be stocking our shelves with some of our favorite chips anymore, but I love to bake and will be making him happy that way. Thanks for the help. Oh, I really love just plain lemon juice and olive oil salad dressing. Orange juice is good, too. I always did get a headache when I ate most other dressings. It had to be the MSG in them.
Cassi
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 2:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debby A., I forgot to ask. I just ordered your book, adn I was wondering just how long it will take to get here. I'm anxious to get it, as you can tell!
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi, we usually send the book the very next day after checking our computer for any orders. We send priority, so it should reach you anywhere between 3 to 5 days. If it takes longer than that, it's because we have been out of town or are waiting for more books. Please read the first 80 pages at least a couple times and if you have any questions you can call or e mail me any time.
Cassi
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., my doctor is having me consult with a nutritionist to make sure the food I eat will give me enough folic acid and vitamins and minerals. I'm am relieved that he is understanding and not fighting this. I told him about MSG and he says a lot of his patients react to it. I just received your book, and it is so excellent. I want to get a copy for several of my friends. I just know it would help them. Many of them are having 3 or more of the symptoms you listed on the cover. I think I get at least half of them. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for writing this book!
Beverly
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 9:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi, This is unrelated to MSG, but something else harmful to the unborn that many people are not aware of. The FDA is warning against mercury in swordfish, shark and perhaps another one or two types of fish. This information was reported on the news show 20/20 on January 12.
Cassi
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beverly, thank you very much for sharing that warning about fish. I really don't eat a lot of fish, but it's good to know that anyway. I probably should eat more safe fish, since I need to be careful about weight gain. I tend to crave
things like popcorn and orange juice too much. But I do feel good. Thanks again!
John O
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 8:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cassi, check the spelling, it's http://nomsg.com/discus (one "s" in the the link for "discuss")
P.T.
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 12:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I am reacting to the iodized salt that I have used for years. I know now that I am extremely allergic to MSG. Could there be MSG in salt? What salt is safe?
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 2:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have noticed that alot of packaged salt contains a filler to ensure easy pouring --- even Morton's Kosher Salt contains a filler.

Be sure to read the ingredients --- many of the sea salt packages and salt in the health foods stores have all sorts of adders.

For months, I have been using Diamond Crystal Kosher salt with no problem. I wrote to Diamond Crystal and they assured me that their product has nothing added. If you ask them, they will contact your local store to suggest stocking.
Laurie M
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 6:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too react to salt. I now use either sea salt (make sure it doesn't have fillers) or canning salt. It all tastes the same! :)
P.T.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 11:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you get iodine from the sea salt?
Thanks for your good tips. One of the ingredients in my salt is alginate. Would that be like seaweed, because I know that would have glutamate, probably.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 6:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are correct, P.T. I use the same as Laurie. I believe you would get iodine from sea salt. Most of the salts that are iodized contain carriers for the iodine which can contain glutamate. A highly reactive individual would do better to avoid it. Be careful to read sea salt labels, too.
Carole
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 8:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone. I haven't posted anything for a while but I've been checking in regularly.

I've been on a slow, barely noticable downhill slide over the past couple of weeks because I started to get lazy with my diet. It seems that now, instead of reacting quickly and intensely after ingesting MSG, it sometimes takes time and a steady buildup of MSG to set me off. Although my basic eating habits are much better than they used to be, I've been eating at least a little unsafe food every day lately. It finally caught up with me (as Deb warned me it would!). I realize now that the dark cloud has been descending slowly for about a week, but today I was barely functional. Time to take good care of myself again.

I just wanted to share this example of MSG's accumulation effect.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 6:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for sharing that warning, Carole. We all get off the wagon at some time or another, but all it takes is hitting rock bottom to keep us on for longer and longer periods of time. And it sure is worth every effort to be vigilant. Not only do we feel better, but we are actually making huge strides and lasting positive habits that get harder to break...and reaping great health benefits.
At first, I would make mistake after mistake, and I became so afraid of food, that I ate very little. I lost weight (which was okay by me!), but after awhile, as I experimented and learned, I got a better understanding of what I could tolerate...and that was very little that was commercial. Now I could stand to lose some weight! :) Of course it doesn't help that my daughter and her family are here for the summer and I am always making treats for the grandkids. I am definitely going to cut back this week!!!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page