Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pork

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Pork « Previous Next »

DebbieD
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 7:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember reading somewhere that there is no safe pork. Well, last night I ate a pork chop and about 40 minutes later I could NOT keep my eyes open. I fell asleep at 7:00 and my husband had to call me 3 times to wake me up. That happened 2 more times before 9:30. Then of course at 10:30 I couldn't fall asleep. The last time that happened (2 weeks ago) I'd eaten Chinese take out. Hot & Sour soup (dumb, I know), and shrimp w/vegetables. I did go running yesterday afternoon but that usually gives me energy. ??????
Also, while I'm here, I've been trying to find the link to the 'yeast' website. I'm still trying to fight this horrible gas & bloating in my abdomen. I'm trying to avoid sugar, refined anything, and foods containing yeast. It's so hard!! I'm drinking 1 gallon of water/day so I've got things 'moving along' okay but my belly still is distended. It's not fat. You don't feel the fat from the inside.
Thanks for listening.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 8:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD & Others, If you did do so already, please read this site that I posted last week re packaging: http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/~han/CyberFoodsci/volume2000.html
A while back, I had ALOT of grilled pork that one of my more sensitive relatives intentionally bought at an old-fashioned butcher instead of at a supermarket. I had absolutely no reactions.

Then last month, I had one small slice of some very thinly sliced pork (that almost looked like chicken) from Kings which I grilled. It was packaged with those little sachets which I thought was just for soaking up the liquid and to keep the package from dripping. I became very sick!

Suggestion: I hope other meat eaters here will ask their supermarkets about the packaging & the sachets used for meats and report back here. I will try to do this too.

DebbieD - I hope you feel better quick!
DebbieD
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMoRRIS: Thanks for the link. YUCK!!! No wonder we're all so messed up!!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie D, avoiding MSG in restaurant is food very difficult. We can eat locally at mainly 2 or 3 local restaurants and the limit is one dish at each of those places that we can eat. Even then, we get a mild reaction. If you are still getting the bloating, and gas, you may still be ingesting too much MSG from restaurant foods that you are having a hard time resisting, or from processed foods. Gas and bloating are not just reactions of too much yeast. You may also be reacting to sulfites and/or MSG, which have those as very common reactions, especially when eaten together (worst reaction). Most Chinese bottled sauces and condiments used in restaurants frequently contain both MSG and sulfites(as a preservative). We have helped many people who believed they had a yeast problem. Only when they avoided more hidden (and obvious) sources of MSG, did the yeast problem go away. It's my feeling that MSG and sulfites are at the root of many misdiagnosed yeast problems and many doctors don't even consider these as culprits. MSG throws our systems so off kilter, that imbalances, disorders, and infections can occur with greater ease. Just my opinion based on years of anecdotal evidence. It's always easier to listen to a doctor that says he can prescribe a pill that will cure you than to change an entire way of eating. I know...I've been there and tried so many prescribed meds. For me and thousands of others, it was an endless seeking for relief until I discovered the MSG connection.
amh
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD

Sometimes it is not the yeast that is bothering you but the other additives that are added to baked goods. If you are wanting to find out what is causing the continued problems -do an elimination diet for a few days. Start with just plain unprocessed foods and see how you feel.
Don't over look regular gyn exam.

Hope you feel better soon.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 2:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

amh, that's the truth! I forgot to mention how loaded with glutamate commercial bread and baked goods are: whey and dry milk solids, soy flour, corn syrup, dough conditioners, l-cysteine, another excitotoxin that reaches the brain faster than MSG, and sulfites. Yeast itself contains about 11% glutamate. Most dairy and baked items contain sulfites used to extend shelf life. I make biscuits, waffles, and burritos and use them often in place of bread. I also make yeast bread with the plainest yeast I can find.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie D,
Has your doctor checked you for any kind of wheat allergy or gluten intolerance, or celiac sprue?
Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 5:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD-Remember that most supermarket pork has been bathed in sodium phosphate or sodium lactate to allegedly make it juicy! I react to these chemicals more violently than I do to msg. Be careful.
DebbieD
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 9:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in May I went to the doctor for this problem armed with a dietary journal spanning 3 months. I made notes about the symptoms and when they occured. He said "Let's start with lactose intolerance". So, I was to avoid lactose for 2 weeks and call him. When I was finally able to do that, I felt so much better that I didn't call. I didn't feel 100% better though. Since then I have been dairy/lacotse free many times (seems I haven't been able to totally omit it) and the problem is still there just not as bad. I've been to the gyn and told her and she said I'm probably reacting to something in my diet or even pollution. No real help but at least I'm relatively sure I don't have anything more serious. Anyway, right now I'm eating only whole natural foods. I generally try to stay far away from processed foods especially factory made breads, crackers etc. I learned a long time ago that bread such as Wonder Whole Wheat make me feel terrible. Immediate bloating! I also noticed thru my food journal that processed anything makes me bloat. With or without headaches.

This morning I ate 2 whole eggs cooked in olive oil, frozen spinach (label says-spinach), feta cheese. Well, it's probably the cheese but I got an annoying little headach in my temples and my belly puffed up. I thought that because the cheese was goat feta from Whole foods that I might not have a problem. I think sulfites are a problem for me but are sulfites always listed as such on the label or are they in the food masqerading? Do certain foods contain natural sulfites or is this a chemical?
Sorry this is so long. Thanks for all the great responses! Oh, one thing that ALWAYS makes me so bloated that it hurts - beer. I don't drink anymore, as a rule, because I get horrid headaches almost immediately but the past three times I've had A beer I've gotten bloated right away and it lasts for a few days. So, I'll never drink beer again! One more thing: one day this summer my tummy was actually flat (I was very excited) and we went to the beach. I was fine all day until we got back to the house in the afternoon and I ate some grapes. YIKES!! Within 5 minutes I looked three months pregnant!
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 10:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frozen vegetables most often contain sulfites, as does beer and most alcoholic beverages...it's used to control the amount of bacteria present in the fermentation process. Beer also contains glutamate from the malt and grains. Sulfites are added to a ton of food products, and no, it does not have to be labeled if the amount is under 10 parts per million. But for the sensitive, as I am, a small amount triggers a bad reaction. Most grapes are sprayed with sulfur dioxide, and so most raisins also give me a reaction, also. AuxiGro, a metabolic primer that contains 30% glutamate, is sprayed extensively on growing grapes, too.
DebbieD
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, I'll never really be rid of this problem right? Fresh veggies are suspect too - meat is treated... What do you eat DebA?
Ruth
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie D., Spinach has tyramine, which can cause headaches. Don't know about bloating. Maybe you could do an experiment and eat the spinach alone to see what happens.
De
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can eat many fresh vegetables and fruits that are not sprayed. Wash them in a bowl of water to which baking soda or a drop or two of dish detergent has been added. Swish and rinse very well. I can tolerate Foster Farms fresh chicken wings, and breast, but I also soak in a little salt water and rinse and squeeze while soaking and rinsing. Find a product that is produced the closest to where you live. Same with red meat, which I buy at a butcher shop, along with hormone and tenderizer free pork. If you make your own lemonade from lemons, drink lots of water, and stay away from processed bottled or frozen fruit drinks, you can control your reactions to sulfites more. No, it never goes away, but you revise your way of looking at food, and go for the real thing...whole foods closest to their natural form. You can learn more about sulfites by doing a keyword search here, or on the Net, or by reading my book, which basically tells you how I survive. I eat very well, and never feel deprived now. But I had to learn the hard way, by trial and error. I kept a food diary and a list by the fridge of foods that were safe as I tried them, including where I bought the fresh produce or food item. I eat Tree of Life tuna, fresh salmon and oysters, and organic peanut butter. I bake using whole wheat flour, primarily, and some organic while flour. White flour contains malted barley flour and chemical residues used to bleach it. (sulfites) I use honey, white cane sugar, Muir Glen tomato puree, Seeds of Time spaghetti sauce (not the 3 cheese variety). I make sausage out of safe ground pork by adding salt, pepper, sage, and a little honey. We eat lots of eggs for breakfast along with some hot or dry cereals that are okay. I make museli from oatmeal, oat bran, ground flaxseed, toasted almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, and sesame seed. I eat with honey and whole organic milk or Rice Dream plain rice milk. I wash the nuts and dry on a towel. Then roast in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes until toasty and crunchy. Watch closely or they can burn quickly. The best snack for traveling is to put toasted almonds in a zipper bag and sprinkle with Realsalt, the powdery salt found in health food stores. It actually adheres to the nuts. We do the same with popcorn. Don't be discouraged, Debbie. We all know it's difficult at first, but it is worth it. As I tell everyone, give yourself the time it takes to learn what you need to learn and to make the mistakes that we all make as we come to terms with our new and healthier lifestyle. We've all been there, believe me. Oh, I also treat myself to plain dark chocolate now and then...but not too often! Some varieties do contain sulfites. There is an organic chocolate available...I think it is by Repunzel...not sure.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't spell my own name! The above posting is from Deb A.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie D, you may have solved your own mystery - yeast. You said bread made you react, beer made you react, and then grapes. Grapes naturally have yeasts on them, which help in the fermentation process. Maybe you could try yeast-free breads. I have a page on my website http://www.basicfare.com about yeast allergy. Simply avoiding MSG may not be enough in your case.
cheryl
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 9:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie, I've been down the road you're on for about 2 years now. It's my son who is 8 and my husband who have the reactions. They get migraines from MSG and sulfites. They have delayed reactions- migraines and usually about 8-12 hours later so it's difficult sometimes to pinpoint the cause. We just don't eat many processed foods. They're a few they can eat. I found a lot of helpful info on Rick Williams site which I will give you. I bought his book and he lists name brands of foods and the sulfite content based on his own experience with the foods. Of course he doesn't list anything about MSG. I also joined the sulfite chat group which helped me also. I bought the sulfite test strips too so I can measure the sulfite. It mainly helps me with the meats. All meat has some natural sulfate/sulfite so we don't eat much even organic raised beef makes my husband react. The most sulfites are found in the fat of the animal so he does a little better with chicken breast. Also he can't eat many eggs. Organic eggs are OK I think. We've just started trying them, but they can eat at least 2 of them fine. Corn products are a big problem because sulfites are used in the processing. So I also joined a corn chat group and learned a lot there too. Beware of bleached flour, dried fruits, grapes, frozen potatoes or potato flour, and many other things you can read about at this site:

http://members.aol.com/nosulfites

The sulfite group is at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sulfitesnomore

The corn group is at:

http://www.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtag=AvoidingCorn&nav=start
cheryl
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 6:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie, also DebA's book "Battling the MSG Myth" helped me the most in determining what was cause the reactions. I loan it to people with MSG symptoms sometimes and even to my sons doctor. She said it was very helpful.
DebbieD
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 7:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the help! Over the last few years I've omitted most processed foods and drinks. I generally only drink water and coffee with lactaid whole milk ( I know, but the lactaid doesn't seem to bother me). I rarely, if ever, eat dried fruits - I love them but they cause me trouble. Last night I had 1/2 glass high quality red wine - Big mistake! I had a headache immediately and now, 12 hours later I still have it! 1/2 glass only!! I went to whole foods yesterday and bought some yeast free spelt bread. The ingredients are whole grain spelt, water, salt. I don't eat that much bread but when I want some I like to have it handy. Also, I've been food combining for the past week and that seems to be helping. I love Suzanne Somers and her whole philosophy on eating and life. I don't doit for the weight loss b'cuz my weight is ideal for my height. So maybe the whole combo of approaches will help. We'll see. I think tomorrow I'll buy DebA's book and check out the other web sites suggested.
F.Y.I DEbA: Front Porch 'Pruductions' is spelled wrong. Thought you might like to know.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 8:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debbie! Where is it spelled that way?! I know Mike has been working on the site, but where exactly did you find that so we can get on it. Thanks!
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,

In the title sentence that is placed by the web server over the home page when the site is opened, in the name that gets listed when it is bookmarked as a favorite, and wherever it is found on the web, be it through a search or through another site, the spelling that appears is and has always been "Pruductions", such as in the link below:

http://virtualnurse.com/Link/pages/Reference_Library/Publications/Books/
Debbied
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 7:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone ever heard of "Edible Shellac"???? I bought some Teddy Grahams for my daughter (she picked them out) and as I was giving them to her I read the label, as I do with EVERYTHING, and this ingredient was in them among a thousand other ingredients. She ate a few and I threw the whole new box away!!!YUCK!! I work in the food business (vegetable oil) and we asked one of our food additive customers and she said it's poly vinyl acetate. She said there is a certain amount of plastic allowed in foods. Unbelievable-- jeez louise!!!! Like I said somewhere else here, no wonder we're so messed up healthwise.
Ruth
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 9:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Feingold Association, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives are made from petroleum, the same stuff you grease your car with. Then there's carnuba wax, an ingredient found on the labels of many candies.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 10:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And in most cosmetics like lipstick (carnuba wax).
Thanks Roy, for the misspelling info. I can't do a thing about it since Mike is is the hospital...has been since Sunday morning. He has to have his gall bladder removed. It got so bad, it started to compromise his pancreas and liver...his enzyme levels were off the charts, so they are keeping him there to clear the pancreatitis before they can do any surgery. He was so yellow from jaundice, the nurses joked that he should wear a hood and scare all the kiddies on Halloween night. Anyway, that's why I haven't been here lately...sorry. Anyway, he is very tired of the hospital..he is not allowed to eat or drink at all (which is a mixed blessing in that place), so he can't get home soon enough.
Will try to find a time to visit your site, Carol..know you have been working very hard. Miss you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page