Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dolomite powder--is it safe?

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Dolomite powder--is it safe? « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 10:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently, someone e mailed me concerning the safety of dolomite powder. She had read that I take KAL dolomite powder for my calcium/magnesium supplement. She tried to get it at a health food store but was told they discontinued stocking it because it contains lead. I certainly do not want to advise people of a product that could cause them harm. Either this is an alarmist type claim or there is some truth to the matter and I was hoping someone here may be able to shed some light here. I've been told companies continually test the dolomite for lead and that dolomite is used in many calcium supplements, including pills.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2000 - 4:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This web site lists dolomite supplements as a source of lead exposure:

http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_info/poison_prevention/poison_book/lead_poisoning.html
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 10:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much, Roy. I will call KAL and see what they have to say after I send them this link. My own doctor told me that the dolomite powder is safe, but I'd like to feel more sure of that.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 4:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone just e mailed me and told me that they called KAL company and were told conflicting information 3 times by 3 different people. Two reps said it didn't contain lead and was checked in a lab. Another said their dolomite contains 3 parts per million (or less, I assume) which is considered safe by the government. Of course, the FDA says MSG is safe, too! Does anyone here use a
calcium supplement that they have found to not bother them????
M-Y
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2000 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,
My healthfood store that I go to won't even sell
dolomite powder because it isn't very absorbable.
It is the least absorbable of the calciums.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 10:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for adding that, M-Y. When you hear the same thing form several different sources, it's time to make a personal choice. I'm going to stop taking it and see how I feel. I'd still like to find a calcium/magnesium supplement that doesn't give me problems and is absorbable. I'm going to check into a product called Tri-Salts, but the calcium may also come from dolomite.
Deb S
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 7:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb - I have a bottle of Tri-Salts by Ecological Formulas. I have only taken it sporadically, because I suspected it was causing or contributing to some mild reactions, but I haven't really put it to the test, so it could be just fine. I've read that magnesium can cause diarrhea, and that and gas were what I was experiencing.

Label information:
--------------------------------------------------
TRI-SALTS
REAGENT GRADE BICARBONATES
Allergen Free
A Biologically Compatible Formula
Containing no sodium
----------------------------
Serving size 1/2 Teaspoon (~2 G)
Serving Per Container 100

Calcium (carbonate), 450 mg, 45% Daily Value
Magnesium (carbonate, oxide), 250 mg, 63% DV
Potassium (bicarbonate), 99 mg, 3% DV

DIRECTIONS: As a nutritional supplement, mix one-half teaspoon in water or desired liquid.
------------------------
A NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT
REAGENT GRADE TRI-SALTS is a nutritional supplement especially designed to neutralize increased acidity. This unique buffering agent contains nutritionally significant amounts of the essential macrominerals calcium, magnesium and potassium as carbonates and bicarbonates without sodium or other salts. The minerals used in this product are of reagent grade quality and are well tolerated by the most sensitive individuals. The Tri-Salts may be mixed with Vitamin C crystals and the pH adjusted according to individual needs.

A Professional Product
Manufactured Exclusively for:
ECOLOGICAL FORMULAS
CONCORD, CA 94518
--------------------------------------------------

I was mixing it with Vitamin C Crystals (Non-corn Source) also by Ecological Formulas, as suggested. As mentioned above, I haven't taken it on a regular basis. I did not notice any positive effects when I did use it, and it didn't seem worth the risk that it could cause a reaction. Since supplements aren't regulated, who knows what could be hiding in there?

Here's the site I ordered from:

http://www.gaines.com/html/Cardio/Cardio.html
M-Y
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 12:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably need to take less of the Tri-salts.
People who have constipation problems find relief
taking magnesium but you have to find out the dose
that works for you. I find magnesium is very important for me but in low dosages.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 8:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Deb S. and M-Y! Think I will hold off and introduce a little more organic milk into my diet. Calcium from food is much more readily absorbed by the body, anyway.
What would I do without the support of you guys here!?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page