Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Overcooking

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Recipes or Snack Ideas » Overcooking « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 12:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I accidentally conducted an experiment on the impact of overcooking. In my freezer, I keep plenty of King's hormone free boneless/skinless chicken fillets -- which I eat alot with no problems.

Last week, I decided to cook it differently. Steamed it in a skillet with some water with fresh ginger added on very high heat -- almost like a boil. I ate it and had my usual MSG symptoms -- within one hour, depression, extreme stomach pains, and then digestive reactions -- felt punk for 24 hours.

This weekend - Same chicken from same package. Broiled it under flame as I have done many times before -- but skipped the ginger. As usual, absolutely no reactions.

I doubt the addition of ginger was the problem since I've cooked ginger with my food many times before. Is it possible that the steaming/boiling of the chicken over the high heat could bring out free glutamates? Even if there were no bones? I'd appreciate comments.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 1:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ME Morris, Hydro - water, lysis - splitting. It happens in the presence of water and heat. Flame broiling adds no additional water. The ginger would probably help you, but the cooking process probably did you in.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 6:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting --- lysis = splitting. Thanks Carol! Best of luck in your new place. Great to see your picture along with the others at the Reno page.
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To M. E. Morris: There has to be something else going on with your chicken experience. I am highly sensitive to msg, but since changing my diet, I am virtually free of symptoms. I often cook safe chicken every way possible -- including boiling with water for an extended period of time -- without any problems. You need to evaluate every other item you added to the mix. Sometimes the least significant thing can be overlooked. I have also found that sometimes when I do have a reaction, it is not necessarily due to the just eaten meal, but the process of digestion forces previously eaten substances (maybe from hours or a day before) into the bloodstream through the gut, and you mistakenly think you are having a reaction to something you just ate. I know about the theory of generating free glutamic acid by hydrolysis, but I do not believe that is the answer for all the problems we have with certain foods. If it were, and if msg is effecting everyone, then we should be seeing a panepidemic, and we just aren't seeing that. I have been studying this problem for over a year now, and there are just too many unanswered questions still to be answered. Unless some undeniable research is completed in this field (msg sensitivity) I am afraid the questions will remain unanswered, and all of us effected by msg will live out our lifes without seeing this problem addressed. Instead, I am afraid that the medical community and the drug manufactuers will develop "remedies" which will allow the US public to continue poisoning themselves because they find it is just too hard to change current eating habits, and they don't want to give up their favorite junk foods which they have become addicted to thanks to msg!!! I salute all of you on this board for your efforts.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 3:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a terrible migraine, actually 2 in a row, lasting 8 straight days, last year. I ate my own chicken soup, which I had boiled with onion for many hours. I am sure the chicken, even though it said "natural" on the label, was not the safest brand I could have used, although I didn't know then about Belle and Evans brand, the one I am eating now with no problem. I don't think I will ever try eating chicken soup again, even using Belle and Evans brand, the one I am having much success with just baking in the oven. I can't rule out the hydrolyzed vegetable protein thing
(combining a vegetable with meat in water and cooking slowly). The reaction was just too horrible to take another chance. I wouldn't trust any chicken, even hormone free, that used anything but plain hot and cold water to process their product. The King's chicken, even though hormone free, could have used something questionable during processing. It would be worth looking into. Even Buddy's natural chicken is not totally free of chemicals, and I always assumed it was. Please let us know if you find out anything about King's brand, though it isn't one I've seen here in Texas.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 6:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Kings chicken that I ate was Bell & Evan's hormone free that Ruth told us further about in another posting today.

Anon - Thanks for questioning this further. I went back to my food diary. The night before, I had Contesssa Shrimp with semolina pasta and some brocolli rabe. (I am quite positive that was not the problem.) The next day with the chicken, I added a little of Arrowhead Mills' white flour, salt and ginger in with the chicken's juice and with water to make it into a gravy. I also ate an organically grown sweet potato that was bought in Kings -- maybe, it was grown in Auxi Gro. I just don't want to think about this Auxi Gro thing --- We have all had enough and the possibility of Auxi Gro ruining our vegetables is just too much!
Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris & Anon, I too am extremely sensitive to msg and other food chemical additives. As to chicken, here is my experience. I buy only chicken from a local farm just north of the Phoenix area (Youngs Farm). I called the farm and spoke to their customer service manager and production manager. They use only organic feed and absolutely no chemicals in the processing. I can cook this chicken any way I like....boil, stew, saute, microwave, you name it....no reactions or problems.
In conclusion, I believe the integrity of the chicken is only determined by knowing what the chicken has been fed and is not a factor of how it is prepared.
Personally I have purchased other so-called organic chickens with "no additives", and have had reactions. My theory is that the feed the chickens eat can also make us sick and reactive. This means that even though the package says "just chicken", this does not refer to the feed which can be laden with chemicals and hormones.
Of course this makes our life extremely difficult. But when you do find that local source, you can once again enjoy chicken (and turkey too!).
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 3:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent words, Gerry. I agree that what the chicken is fed is important...some are fed soy pellets, and that can't be great...along with all the hormones and antibiotics.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 5:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe some of you will find this directory of places that sell products from grass fed cattle and poultry: http://www.eatwild.com/suppliers.html

There is nothing listed for NJ. Does anyone know any NJ meat or poultry farms that they can recommend? (I have plenty of resources already for NJ organic vegetable sources if anyone needs them.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page