Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Chicken

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Chicken « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 4:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm always checking here for information and I love the site. There is so much information and my son and I are so grateful to have found it. Can anyone tell me if the fresh Foster Farms is safe to eat?
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 5:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. gave us positive feedback re Foster’s turkeys last year. Do a search using Foster. Foster Farms has email, phone and address information posted at: http://www.fosterfarms.com/ct-retail.html

Here are some questions that come to my mind if I was investigating a brand I was uncertain was safe:
1. What is used in the feed besides corn?
2. Are antibiotics and hormones used?
3. What do you use as a prechill spray?
4. What common controls do you have over the various hatchery, feedmill, processing and distribution facilities?
5. How are the chickens packaged before they reach the supermarkets? What is placed on the chickens to keep them clean and fresh before they arrive at the supermarkets?
6. What packaging is done by the supermarkets? What is placed on the chickens or in the packaging by the store to ensure freshness and to look appealing?

Folks: What other questions do you think should be asked? Am I naive in assuming I'd get answers? Worth a try, I think. Most likely you'd get a customer service rep who wouldn't know much and you'd have to insist on someone investigating further for you. (Speak with supervisor or even better, write to the company President.) If anyone has feedback on this, please post.

From Another Anon.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 7:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can not and do not eat Foster Farms chickens and turkey due to the use of phosphates and lactates. And yes I too question the feed. However I might recommend Tyson chicken as it does not seem to bother me and I am ultra sensitive.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 8:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, when I first ate Foster Farms fresh chicken from Costco, I did fine, and that was a couple years ago. More recently, I have begun to feel a little "off" after eating it. Others have complained to me that they, too, are suspicious that the same product is bothering them now when it didn't previously. Thanks for your post, Gerry. It confirms my suspicions about that product. I just sent an inquiry to Foster Farms, "Another Anonymous". I will try some Tyson Chicken, Gerry....any particular chicken parts or any of their products that you recommend???
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous 2, those are super suggestions for questions to ask. Thank you.
Ruth
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 9:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just recently found a safe brand of chicken at Whole Foods Market. It's Belle and Evans. They use only hot water to open pores, a machine to pluck the feathers, and cold water to close the pores again. The feed is organic. I have not had a single problem, and I'm eating it almost every day. I went almost a year without any chicken and I am relieved to find this safe brand since discovering that I had been getting headaches from beef. I hope you can find it.
Laurie M
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy Shelton's Free range chicken. It is guaranteed free of antibiotics and is packaged at the plants and then frozen for shipment. i am not sure if it is safe fro everyone but I have successfully enjoyed it and I can't touch regular chicken. My health food store orders it for nme. The also provide free range organic turkeys for thanksgiving. I know that noone here can tolerate a butterball!1
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 7:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabbit may be a good alternative or addition to chicken if you can find a reliable and safe source. I am now buying D'Artagnan's organic fresh rabbit from my local health food store. It is very expensive but I have absolutely no reactions and find it very tasty --- a little like chicken but far less fat. I have yet to check out how it is raised -- I hope it is just grass fed but who knows.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 11:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ-My dog exists on a diet of rabbit, rice and vegetables from a can. It's Nature's Recipe and was vet recommended as the most digestible meat source as she was having digestion problems.
Yes, rabbit is a great source of protein and highly digestible.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry - Just curious. Are there additives in the dog food? Not that I plan to eat it!:)
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 8:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some dog food ingredients:

http://doggiedoor.com/ingredie.htm

http://www.naturesrecipe.heinzpetproducts.com/dogproducts/dog_treats_rabbitstrips.asp
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 8:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The above are apparently some of the better dog foods. Please read the link below:

http://www.cornucopiapetfood.com/news/overweight_pets.html
Don Campbell
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got poisoned by Tysons chicken breasts, frozen, last week. I've been learning that when I cook meat, if it is real slimy and comes out of the oven with slime all over it and sometimes white globs of slime on it, then it is full of the poison. I have been doing ok with chicken I buy at the Publix grocery store. It has a label that says "no preservatives, no added ingredients and minimally processed".
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Every market has a different chicken supplier. When my local store changed owners, I started getting sick from the chicken. They must have changed suppliers. I now buy Belle and Evans chicken from Whole Foods Market. It is very reasonably priced if I buy their pre-packaged chicken rather than the stuff in the case that they weigh out for you while you wait. Belle and Evans is the only safe chicken I can find in my neighborhood. They use only hot and cold water in processing, plus a machine to pull out the feathers. Many other companies use an acid or chemical bath to dissolve the feathers. There are other brands of chicken on this discussion board that people have found to be safe, so do a word search for chicken. Hope you are able to find a good source for chicken.
Don Campbell
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 8:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth, I did. that's why I posted it above for others to know---- Publix grocery stores. I await the day when I'm living on an organic farm, and farming the land myself. That's where I'm headed once I wake up some people in congress. To the hills, a farm in the hills. No I don't know what hills yet. They dissolve the feathers.......damn. Take it easy. Hey we've got anthrax on sale down here in Florida. Do you think Monsanto would be interested?
DebbieD
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 10:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ate a Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster at my mother's house last week and YIKES! what a headache!!! My husband gets our chickens at a poultry store in Newark, NJ where you pick out the ones you want (live) and they 'do the job' for you. I believe they just get the feathers off, cut it up the way you ask and put it in a bag. They're still warm when he gets them home. Sometimes that freaks me out a little!! He gets rabbits there too- same process. MEMorris- I work just up the block from D'Artagnan's!! I don't think they allow shopping there but you can order from them. They're on Wilson Ave, in Newark.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Debbie! (Glad to see you are still with us.) D'Artagnan's mail order is very costly. They don't have a retail shop but they supply the Morristown Health Shoppe, Kings and probably other stores in NJ. They respond quickly to questions sent via email which you can find at http://www.dartagnan.com. For info on their chicken, see http://www.ippi.com/dir_aaa/dar_freepo.html
(I have no vested interest in this company. In fact, I am looking for a local farm or supplier with hormone/antibiotic free products who sells retail. If anyone is in NJ and has suggestions, please post or email me.
DebbieD
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 7:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorris: Yeah, I'm still out here. I didn't come to this site for a while cuz I thought msg isn't the source of my bloating problems. Well, I;m back investigating and trying to omit obvious forms. It's so frustrating! I know this is a chicken thread but I have a question regarding decaf coffee. I read my coffee can and in extremely small print it says "Natural Flavors". Is all decaf 'contaminated' or whatt? I was so p.o.'d!!! Mine was Folgers.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD-Decaf coffee is contaminated unless it is "Swiss Water Decaffeinated"! Normal decaf is processed with a dry cleaning chemical to remove the caffeine.
Anything that says "Natural Flavors" is bad. My suggestion is that you buy and drink only "Swiss Water Decaffeinated" coffee without any added flavorings. I know it is very frustrating. Oh how I know! But the alternative is that we are sick and miserable. Personally I have switched to organic green tea when I want a warm drink. And yes, I really miss being able to get a Starbucks coffee when I want. But I am also very tired of being sick and "injured" by chemicals. Hang in there and be brave. We are fighting our own war against chemical poisoning on a different front!
DebbieD
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info! So, would you recommend regular coffee instead of decaf til I can wean myself off it altogether? Do youknow if Whole Foods carries the Swiss Water Decaf?
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, don't drink the caffeine. It's just not good for you either. Most doctors do not advocate the ingestion of caffeine as it is a stimulant. I'm not sure about Whole Foods having the Swiss Water Process Decaf, but I do know that "Wild Oats" markets do carry it. I have found the "Wild Oats" markets to be even more organic and natural as to their products than "Whole Foods" markets. Do you have one in your area?
You might also search your local yellow pages. I discovered a small local health food store not far from my home that has natural products when I need them on short notice. They are limited in scope and supply, and are more expensive than the big markets, but are convenient on short notice. Good luck!
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, Swiss water process is the means to decaffeinate the coffee and not the trade name. The brand I use is:
"The Village Coffee Roastery", Organic Decaf Blend from Scottsdale, AZ. It says that it is Swiss Water Processed, Smooth and Delicious, Rich in Flavor...and I agree.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 4:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry, we just posted your photo here. Visitors, just click on the
"discussion board photos" topic at the left to see some of our regular posters. And please send photos via the Net or snailmail for us to post and add, too!
For photos from our Reno gathering, go to our site at www.msgmyth.com and click on the left menu topic there.
DebbieD
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 6:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There used to be a Wild Oats in my area but it closed. I know of Trader Joes and Whole Foods and some pretty good health food stores around. I'm in Northern NJ. By the way, Gerry, I just saw your picture- for whatever reason I always thought you were a man. LOL!! I should have known that Gerry with a G is feminine!! Oh well.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 3:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D'Artagnan's and some of Bell & Evans organically raised and hormone free poultry and rabbit comes from an Amish farm in Stevens, PA. See: http://www.eberlypoultry.com for more info on how raised. (Debbie D. & Other Jerseyites: You can buy Eberly poultry at a lesser price if you get it at the Morristown Health Shoppe -- or go to Eberly's area.)
Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 7:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD & MEMorrisNJ,
I too am from NJ. Born in Phila and raised in South Jersey (exit 3 on Jersey turnpike). My entire family still lives there.
And yes DebbieD, I am female! But I do know men who also spell their name "Gerry" too.
By the way, if you know of anyone who is thinking of relocating to sunny AZ, I can help them as I am a Realtor. Go to my website http://www.gerrybush.com
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Article re findings that suggest bacteria in meat & poultry are more resistant to antibiotics. This wk's New England Journal of Medicine mentions need to restrict more. See: http://www.msnbc.com/news/644068.asp

DebbieD & other Jerseyites – Whole Foods plans to renovate & occupy the old Wild Oats stored that is presently closed in Madison, NJ.

Gerry & others - If you ever fly in to Newark Airport, we must meet! Just a few minutes away.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 8:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ-You can be sure that I will!
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 6:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.ucsusa.org/releases/12-01-00.html

Public Interest Groups Criticize Bayer's Refusal to Comply with FDA Proposal to Ban Antibiotic Used in Poultry

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page