Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Improvements

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Improvements « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 4:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it has been a month with reducing msg. I feel alot stronger. I was hoping to add in some things like bagels, caffeine but it still taking over my life.

I dont have any support but this message board and wonder why people rather go to a doctor to solve there problems then to look at solving it themselve?
amh
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 8:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Shirley,

I gave up bagels about one year ago. Boy was that ever a big sacrifice! But, I finally realized they were causing a lot of problems.

I would be fine all day and eat a bagel with dinner and it was like a giant sleeping pill. I could not keep my eyes open. I also was full of joint pain the next few days.

I also gave up coffee for one solid year. It was a cold turkey deal and I felt fine. I started drinking it again by mistake, but now only have 1/2 cup a day except on the week end. NO flavored coffee, only Maxwell House and I drink it black. It really is only a bad habit and you can kick that if you know how much better you will feel. Each day you will feel a little better.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2001 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto. I gave up going to a local bagel place where I joined friends every Saturday. Not only were the bagels and coffee contributing to my problems, but I found out the home fries came to the bagel place previously packaged with all sorts of chemical flavorings (e.g., natural flavors, etc) and the small glass of concentrated organge juice (which I took literally as having been "freshly squeezed") was making me even sicker. To top it off, the eggs were scrambled with the flavored home fries probably picking up the natural flavors too. In fact, the entire home fry potato smell of the place was getting to me --- I didn't figure this out for quite some time until I realized I was not feeling right every Saturday morning and made the MSG connection!
Laurie M
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of you who like bagels making them can be relaxing and theraputic. There are many good recipes for bagels and homemade bagels are wonderful. If anyone would like my recipe I can try to dig it up for you.
shirley
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2001 - 2:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response on bagels. I dont usually get anything else but bagels when I go to the bagel shop. I had eggsalad two months ago and knew I would get fatigue cause of the mayonaise. I didnt have bagels for two days now. I dont know if I can give it up now. I didnt have coffee for two days and might give it up.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 4:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MEMorrisNJ,

Your description above reminds me of the story I told about making Italian beef for my wife & her girlfriend during the time I was so sensitive to MSG. I think I coined the phrase "second-hand MSG" reaction similar to "second-hand smoke" at that time. It was because that even though I did not consume the meal because the ingredients all included hidden MSG, I still suffered a reaction by breathing in the "food pollution" fumes as I was preparing and serving the meal. I remember feeling so much better getting out of the house and outside to fresh air even though it was the dead of winter.

This is definetley something that us MSG sufferers have to be aware of so that we can clearly identify the sources of our symptoms. Had I not realized the reaction was due to just being in the proximity of MSG, I may have concluded that what I was going to eat (a different meal than they) had somehow caused a reaction.

It also reminds me of the "second-hand MSG" reaction I had when I went to a grocery store shortly after it opened. I think all the evening activities of opening crates of processed foods and store shelf restocking actually stirs up enough MSG laden dust from the food products to affect me. This has not been an isolated instance -- at least three times I have shopped early like that and left the store with a racing heart and irregular heartbeat only to have it subside when I would return to fresh air.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 11:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom - Yes, thanks for reminding me about that discussion we had on-line. Back then, I questioned it all but now, I really believe "second hand smells" can impact us. Actually, I think my whole sense of smell has become heightened. For example, when I walk into stores, I easily detect pesticides and toxic cleaners.

By the way, folks highly sensitive to sulfites have reported similar experiences at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sulfitesnomore
Some postings there have included reports of reactions to smells from when garlic and onions are cooking --- both garlic and onions are high in natural sulfites.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page