Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Coffee

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Coffee « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 3:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I been drinking coffee again for about a week. I am fatigue. Is it the pestides or the processing of the coffee?
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 5:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both!! If it bothers you i recommend discontinuing coffee. It is better for you. Caffeine is a drug too and can be harmful.
shirley
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 4:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am getting addicted to the coffee. I guess I am getting upset cause there are too many things I cant have.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get off coffee, I found it necessary to transition slowly. (I was a 1-2 cup per day coffee drinker) First, cut back the coffee gradually -- if you don't do it gradually, you may have a tendency to get headaches from the withdrawal. Then I moved to black tea and finally, I moved to unfermented green tea (Trader Joe's). I buy organic when I can find it.

Green tea has caffeine too but I keep it to a minimum by pulling the tea bag out fast and barely let it steep. I am sure to use bottled spring water to minimize the fluoride intake -- I had read somewhere that drinking tea with fluorinated water may add to bone loss.

So, I have yet to kick the caffeine habit totally but the good news is that green tea supposedly helps the immune system. Besides, green tea with an English shortbread cookie (with no additives) at afternoon tea time is one of my very few indulgences.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 5:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M.E.

Could you tell us what brand English shortbread cookie is safe for you. Thanks.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 11:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walkers Pure Butter Shortbread Cookies -- comes in all sort of shapes and I have had luck getting it in alot of supermarkets including Trader Joe's. It is a product of Scotland -- not England. Ingredients: Wheat flour, butter, sugar and salt. Watch out --- very high in saturated fat! Use only as an infrequent treat.
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 4:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, too, discovered Walkers Shortbread Cookies some time ago. I love them! I have gone through many boxes, without too much weight gain. If you limit yourself to only a few (less than three), there is really no problem with weight gain, and absolutely no problem with msg. They keep well, and are a handy snack.
DJ
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2001 - 12:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

Just a short note here about Walkers shortbread cookies.. They are made with unsalted butter, and may be trouble to those of us who are seriously sensitive..... I can't eat them because of that. Unsalted butter has natural flavors, a form of msg.

DJ
Laurie M
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2001 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi DJ,
Are you sure about the unsalted butter? It only says butter on the package and I ,who am very sensitive to butter with coloring or natural flavors, can eat quite a few :) with no problem. Could they have changed their ingredients since last time you checked?
Here's hoping!
Ben
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2001 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the messages here shared with the NOMSG board? The format seems the same.

I could not get the search function to work so this may have been discussed allready. The following is something I posted on the NOMSG board. However,there dosent seem to be much traffic on that site so thought I would post here as well.

In the october issue of Life Extension Foundation magazine, www.lef.org, there is an article that says, "Theanine is structurally similar to the amino acid, L-glutamic acid. The similarity enables theanine to physically block glutamate (which is a version of glutamic acid). Although researchers arent positive how theanine works yet, they theorize that theanine blocks the NMDA receptor whick is the doorway that glutamate uses to enter cells. Because of the similar structure, theanne can also fit in this doorway blocking access to glutamate. But although it can fit in the doorway, theanine does not have the same effect on the cell as glutamate does. Rather than causing damage, theanie acts like a shield against damage."

Just wondering if anyone has tried it. It sounds like it might have the potential,if taken before the ingestation of MSG, to block its entry into the brain.

Ben
Ruth
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2001 - 4:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I eat an occasional Walker Shortbread cookie but I wonder about the flour used. It probably has malted barley (MSG) which I have read is added to flour all over Europe as well as here in America. Since I take little tastes of so many different foods in a single day, when I do get a headache, I'm not always sure what caused it. I think I'm O.K. with these cookies but I usually don't eat more than a half every once in a while. I pretty much rule out eating anything and everything that's prepackaged. It's boring but I feel much better.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2001 - 6:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To continue Ben's discussion re Theanine, the following appears at the following Life Extension site:

http://www.lef.org//prod_desc/item00555.html

"Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea that produces tranquilizing effects in the brain. In Japan, soft drinks and chewing gum are spiked with theanine theanine for the purpose of inducing relaxation. Although theanine creates a feeling of relaxation, it doesn't shut down the brain. Studies on rodents show that theanine enhances the ability to learn and remember. By shutting off worry central, theanine appears to increase concentration and focus thought.
Theanine is different than kava-kava in that it doesn't cause drowsiness, just relaxation. Theanine increases GABA, while caffeine decreases it. GABA doesn't just relax, it also creates a sense of well-being. Theanine's ability to increase this brain chemical can literally put you in a better mood. Theanine also increases levels of dopamine, another brain chemical with mood-enhancing effects. Protecting neurons
In studies on neurons in cell culture, theanine significantly reverses glutamate-induced toxicity. In vivo studies show the same effect in rodents. Glutamate-induced neuro-toxicity is a major cause of degenerative brain disease.
Many Americans suffer from slightly elevated blood pressure, but don't know they have it. Chronic high blood pressure inflicts damage on the delicate cerebral vascular network and increases the risk of stroke. Theanine has been shown to help lower blood pressure.
Theanine readily crosses the blood-brain barrier and changes brain chemistry in a way that has been compared to aromatherapy. Studies show that theanine is a non-toxic, highly desirable mood modulator that can be enjoyed by everyone except babies. The antidote to modern stress
The suggested dose of theanine to induce a state of relaxation is 100 mg. For those seeking a continuous mood elevating effect, we suggest that one theanine capsule be taken four times throughout the day."

(The October 2001 issue that Ben references doesn't appear to be available via the web yet.)
LL
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 8:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds great! Do you think it's a good thing? Should I start drinking the green tea in my pantry?
Ben
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 2:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have ordered a bottle of theanine. Will let you know if it works.

Ben
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 6:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben: Do you know if it comes in a gel cap? If so, can you take it without the gel cap? What are the fillers? Are any of the fillers a possible problem for you? Do any of the fillers have hidden MSG --- see: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html Good luck & keep us posted.

Does anyone know how much green tea you'd have to drink to get the benefits of a dose of theanine?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page