Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MigraPlex

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Helpful Remedies or Ways to Diminish Symptoms » MigraPlex « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 6:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few weeks ago, Kevin posted something regarding a product called Migraplex. Kevin said it really helped him. I can really see why now. I was startled to reread the ingredients listed -especially after reading that book Beyond Aspirin. Here is the list. Magnesium, L-Taurine,Ginger Root(Zingber officnale)(5%Gingerols=7.5mg),,Feverfew Leaves Extract( Tanacetum parthenium), Coenzyme Q-10. Magnesium, taurine, and CoQ10 we already figured out why they help, but Ginger Root, and Feverfew are mentioned as natural, but powerful, inflammation fighters (Cox-2) enzyme inhibitors in the book Beyond Aspirin. Has anyone else taken this Migraplex? It seems promising if you suffer from joint pain, rashes, or other inflammatory symptoms from MSG. Of course, it's main function is also to alleviate migraines. (Which are very often caused by MSG)
Thanks again, Kevin.
cheryl
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 8:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started just reading your discussions. My son and husband also gets migraines from MSG. I bought the MSGmyth book and that has helped me a great deal in discovering the cause of their migraines. It actually led me to discover they are allergic to sulfites which are found in MSG so we avoid that also. They don't seem to have any problems with natrual foods or free glutamic acid. Only when vegetables have been treated with sulfites. They still get many headaches because of accidental sulfite intake because it's in just about everything. I'm doing better about avoiding it. I'm interested in the product you mentioned called Migraplex. Where do you get that? I'd like to try it for their food headahces. My son is 8 so the doctors don't want to give him typical migraine medicines. He has tried the 5 mg. imitrex sray and it doen't phase his migraines. Nothing seems to work on food headaches. Forget about Tylnol and Motrin. I've tried feverfew in dried leaf form only and it doesn't work. I've tried ginger too.
Thanks, cheryl
Ruth
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheryl,
Are you sure you and your family are not sensitive to some of the natural glutamates in foods, especially tomatoes? Remember if you heat foods or use canned tomato products, you might be getting more free glutamates. The only medicine that touches my migraines is Maxalt, but I feel it is a last resort and not for a child. It takes a very long time to really figure out which foods are triggering migraines. Even after watching my diet for MSG, sulfites, and tyramine carefully for 3 years, I just found out that beef, oranges, and sugar were still causing me problems. It is different for everyone. What helped me was a visit to a naturopath who tested each individual food. Some foods with tyramine I can eat (raspberries), some (bananas and avocados) I can't. It might be the same for glutamates. All sulfites for me cause 4 day migraines. I was tested on a recent trip to England and am looking for someone to continue the testing at home. I think the form of testing might be called reflexology or kineisiology here in America. I will be looking into it more this week. Just keep looking for those headache triggers. It's the only way to eliminate the cause of the problem and not just cover up the symptoms with dangerous meds.
cheryl
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 8:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth,

I'm not sure about anything at this point. I used to keep a food diary for about 18 months and seemed to notice foods in their natural form didn't cause any of his symptoms. I've been reading about ph balance. You can get your ph unbalanced due to excess acidic forming foods or visa versa. I have an apt. with a homeopath doctor Oct 1. He can only take homeopath and herbs without a reaction. I'm tring to eliminate all of the headache triggers, but it takes time so I'm looking for something to relieve the headaches that would also be safe for an 8 year old. That's going to be hard I know. I don't use tylnol or motrin much as they don't help and I suspect they make him worse because of sulftes or some other ingredient. If you're interesed here's a couple of good site about ph balance. I've found most beef bought at the grocery store contains sulfites. I bought test strips and test it now. Some have as much as 180ppm. Some only show around 40 ppm. They all have it, even some I was going to buy from a local farmer who assured me nothing was added to the beef or fed antibiotics or harmones. Beef bothers my son also, but he can he a little now and then. Beef and sugar are both acid forming. Oranges are alkaline, but it's important to balance acids and alkaline foods or you get headaches.

http://www.permacult.com.au/probiotics/acid-alkaline-food.html

http://godsdirectcontact.com/vegetarian/alkalineoracid.html
Ruth
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Cheryl for the info. It's a whole new approach to the food problem for me. I'll print up the lists and keep them until I can do some research.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 3:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two lists on my website regarding urinary acidifiers and alkalizers. The lists were obtained from my local hospital. See http://www.basicfare.com/tableiv.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 3:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beef also has sulfites even if it is not added in the processing plant... due to the sulfa drugs often added to the feed as an antibiotic.
cheryl
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,

The beef I was going to buy for my freezer was from a local farmer. He assured me he didn't feed the cattle antibiotics or harmones. When I tested his beef it rated at 40ppm. Is any beef ever 100% sulfite free? Do you think the meat naturally contains sulfites even if they don't give it sulfa drugs? Maybe from the grain the feed them?

cheryl
cheryl
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 7:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,

Hi again. I misread your last reply. I guess that answered my question. If they add antibiotics to the feed it wouldn't matter if the farmer gave it antibiotics or not.

cheryl
Kevin
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 3:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a repost of an earlier message I left on Migra-Plex:

While at the local mall last week I stopped into a GNC health store.
While browsing around I saw they had some products that they promote for nuero health.(??)
Having tried so many other products I figured what the heck and will give these a try.

It was interesting to see a product they have called Migraplex which is suppose to stop migranes.
It has CoQ10, Magnesium, L-Taurine, Ginger and Feverfew(items claimed on this website to help)in one tablet.
It has helped me get rid of the local spot headaches and my tolerances seem to be up to MSG related items. It does appear to be helpfull!

The sleep formula also works well as you wake up very rested.

The product called Cognita seemed to cause a slight headache and now I am trying it with out the gel cap (tastes terrible), It is reinforced with the structural fatty acids DHA and EPA that make up a significant portion of gray matter in the brain.
Just pasasing this on as any bit of info I figured would help so here is the web site for those products. They are rather interesting to say the least.
I am no way related to GNC.

http://www.gnc.com/products/pn/neuro.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page