Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sea salt

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Sea salt « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read the ingredient of sea salt that has caking or anti caking ingredient called calcuim silctrate. Is this msg?

I have a headache and I think it is the sea salt?
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 11:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, The anti caking agent is like a silica agent, not msg.
shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well it was bad cause it cause fatigue. I feel better already without it.
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 2:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley,
If you are hypothyroid, you should avoid sea salt, with its higher content of iodine. It alters thyroid test results. If you have never been tested, maybe you should consider having it done.
Shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 4:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, thanks for your concern. It was the anti caking that made me fatigue, it is a form of msg. I feel better now without the anticaking. I will look into sea salt. Right now I take it and will find out if anything makes me fatigue. I was alittle fatigue but it was managable and think it is pms. I am taking a journal and will keep this in mind. I wont go to a doctor unless the doctor is educated in msg.
Shirley
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 8:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sea salt has a high content of natural iodine, doesnt that increase thyroid?

Where can I get more information?
I thought sea salt was healthy. I would like to know which salt is best?
Wynn Carroll
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley, I'm not sure about the iodine but I use Maldon's Sea Salt (made in England) and there are no additives of any type in it. It comes in a box and is available at many stores. I buy it at Whole Foods. The salt is in the form of flaky crystals, so I grind it in a mortar if I need it to be more fine. I put in in a salt grinder for use at table or for more formal dinners I think it looks pretty in crystal salt cellars. I find that you don't need to use as much because it seems to have a sharper, saltier taste than regular salt. I'm trying to cut out MSG and also to cut down on my salt intake because I have hypertension. Wynn
Shirley
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 11:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sea salt I have has nothing added to it.
Carol H
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 6:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wynn, I used to have hypertension due to a blocked renal artery. I was very sensitive to items that constricted blood vessels - like MSG at that time. Taurine seemed to help me. Also, how did you make out at the restaurants?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page