Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Haagdass ice cream

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Haagdass ice cream « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 7:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has skim milk, is it ok?
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 11:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, Shirley, it is not okay. Skim milk almost always has msg added in some form or another.
shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks but how?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shirley, in the chapter on dairy products, there is a good explanation. It has to do with the addition of dry milk solids to normally thin, watery skim milk to may it thicker and richer tasting. But the dry milk itself has been so processed that the natural glutamate has been turned into free glutamate, the more harmful form.
Shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How come skim milk doesnt label in the ingredients as dry milk solids and water?
Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 1:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's why we're here-to help each other identify the hidden sources of MSG. If everything was labeled, our lives would be much easier.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Water isn't usually added to milk, just dry milk solids to "pump" up the thin milk that has been skimmed. By law, milk can be labeled just "milk, even if it is dry...same as in milk chocolate...it's usually added as dry milk...that's why I can eat dark chocolate vs. milk chocolate...but I try to go easy. That's hard when it's the huge bar of Trader Joe's dark chocolate with almonds from Belgium! My downfall since I discovered it this summer. Good thing we don't have one too close to us.
Shirley
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 4:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is milk without ultra pastraside and fortified with vit. D ok?

This is serious. I went to the hfs and potato chips had vinegar in it. Rapazua chocolate had whole milk powder to it. I went to the supermarket to find no msg sour cream and fresh mozzerella. It has enzymes in it.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to do fine with a little Organic Valley whole organic milk. It's ultra-pasteurized, but does not have the dry milk solids added...most whole milk does not, since it contains enough cream to make it tasty. It is hard to find any cheese that just has rennet. I think the Super Walmart brand of whole milk mozzarella is just rennet, and remember, the more mild a cheese is, the less time the enzymes have had a chance to create free glutamate.
Shirley
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So fortifide with vit.D is ok? It isnt ultra pasteurized.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 10:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should be okay.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page