Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Tapioca

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Tapioca « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have msg?
Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 5:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. reported earlier this year that MSG is produced from beet sugar, molasses and starches, such as corn and tapioca. Suggest you do a keyword search on tapioca for other references that may appear here.
Shirley
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 6:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to look it up and you are right but I am wondering that Deb A. uses unsulfured molasses that if tapioca from a health food store would be different?

Thanks Anonymous!
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley, I go very easy on unsulfured molasses as I am very careful to try to avoid even natural forms of bound glutamate. If a recipe calls for 1/2 to 1 cup of it, I will use maybe a tablespoon and use honey for the rest of the measurement. And I do make tapioca pudding once in a while, since it is a favorite of my husband's. However, I soak the large "fish eye" or medium sized tapioca in water overnight, which decreases the amount of cooking time it requires. I will even bring it to a boil and then turn off the heat the next day to soften it, instead of boiling it to death. Then I will add the egg and sugar and lastly the milk or rice milk, so that these high protein foods don't have to cook long, either. The starches used to make MSG are more highly refined substances than the original food, such as the tapioca pearls, or dried corn. These contain natural glutamate, but have not been treated to all kinds of chemicals, heat, or various processes in the factory, as food starches have. I just go easy on these foods, but still enjoy them. I also use white sugar instead of brown sugar in many of the the recipes that I have and that are in the book. I just do better with white sugar. If a cookie tastes best made with brown sugar, I will add 1/4 of a cup and the rest white sugar or honey. Same with sauces or cakes. That is a suggestion in the book, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page