Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG & Insulin Response

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » MSG & Insulin Response « Previous Next »

DebbieD
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhere on this site I read a little something regarding the fact that MSG will cause a rise in insulin. I went to the Suzanne Somers website to inform the MANY people there who follow her program. It deals with insulin response to foods and I thought they would be interested to know-also wanted to spread the word about MSG. So, someone there asked "Does MSG cause an insulin spike in everyone" and "How much of an insulin spike are we talking about?" These people believe in this program (so do I) and since I posted the bit of info I feel responsible to elaborate on it if possible. Anyone have any answers? FYI- the website it suzannesomers.com.
She doesn't make any mention of MSG, but she is all about getting chemicals out of our food.
shirley
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is in Deb A's book on page 17. It say that glutamate upsets the regulation of glucose blood levels by binding with rceptors in the pancreas itself.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 5:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DebbieD,

Suzanne Somers does mention MSG on her web site, but only in the context of getting chemicals out of our food, as you had stated:

"On a personal note, I would also ask them to eliminate MSG because itís a chemical."

Suzanne is also not fond of aspartame:

"I have done research on artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame and I feel very strongly that this is a dangerous chemical and should be eliminated for health reasons, not for weight loss purposes." She goes on to mention "There is an all natural sugar substitute called Stevia." With regard to diet drinks, she responds "Yes, but do (you) know that most sugar-free drinks contain Aspartame, which has been known to cause brain damage in laboratory rats."
DebbieD
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 8:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read Suzanne Somer's books because after years of ultra low fat eating I find her concepts very interesting. I'm not in it for the weight loss, something about her and her program struck me as "making sense". The 'bodybuilding diet' I'd been on for umteen years was not sitting right with me. It did help me to give up lots of bad stuff but I now believe that low fat is not the life saver I thought it was. Anyway, I told them at that website to do a keyword search on Insulin at this website.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 8:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's unfortunate that most low fat commercial foods are high in MSG...take out the fat, put in the flavor enhancer excitotoxin. All it does is cause cravings for more carbs, an insulin spike, and more obesity. We are so slow to learn from what our own bodies are telling us, and so quick to jump on every weight loss gimmick.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too True. If only dieters realized that a little fat causes a signal to the stomach to empty slower. It's the best appetite supressant around, and flavors dissolve so well in it, that you don't need to "enhance" them.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page