Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Any great benefits being msg free.......

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Help! I Have a Question » Any great benefits being msg free....... « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 8:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This seems hard cause no breads outdoors and etc. I was wondering since it must be hard to socialize, what are the great benefits so I can gear to the msg free way.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Avoiding serious neurological diseases down the wrong and plenty of other serious disorders, and regaining your good health are the perks. Most of us would not trade the way we now feel for anything, including easier socializing. It just gets easier to eat something before we go out and to find the right meals we can order at certain restaurants. When going to friends homes, I still eat something before I go and tell the hostess that I will be bringing some of my own food due to my diet needs. It's easier to call it food allergies.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We just put a book for a Shirley in the mail today. I'm assuming it is for you???? It should be there soon. Hope it helps! :) I know it all seems overwhelming at first, but all of us have been where you are now, and knowledge is the key. Please read the first 80 pages through a couple times since there is a lot of information that is important to understand. Then you will begin to get a real handle on avoiding MSG.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes it is probably me. Yes I am overwhelmed. I took a laxative last night that has Irish moss in it. My cramps in my stomach are very light and the laxative works great, I only have to take one that is why I like it cause the other ones I need to take more which I dont like. I am wondering if alittle problems lead to bigger ones cause I only got this one two weeks ago?
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 12:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other natural and safe laxatives are ground flaxseed or psyillium seed. Irish moss contains glutamate. MSG causes increasingly more and more problems. If you read my story, all my symptoms happened over a 20 year period and kept getting worse and more varied. I developed my stomach problems(constipation or the extreme oppostite!) more toward the last years of my suffering, a few years before I discovered MSG was the culprit.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 12:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So constipation will disappear. It seems to be never ending even though it improved last year. I also agree that my fibromygia started ten years before I had it.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley--Hang in there. It's not easy, but Deb is right. The health benefits far outweigh the need for socialization. If nothing else, if you go to someone's house, offer to bring an appetizer or something you know you can eat for the whole group. That way, there'll be something you can eat without obsessing about the food. As for restaurants, they're a minefield, but I have found a couple that I can eat at without experiencing problems. Deb's book is a godsend of my family. I'm sure you'll find it very helpful as well.
amh
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley,

In the beginning it is very difficult to give up favorite foods. I have gone to weddings where it will cost the couple $50.00 for the plate. I still will not eat. Also business dinners I pay the price to socialize and drink bottled water. If I go to a friends I bring fresh vegetables.

If I eat the food at social occasions I will probably pay with either a migraine or other worse suffering. It makes the choice easier. Pain of not eating a favorite food, or PAIN...
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 3:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Evelyn!

Yes it is alittle hard but I guess I will reap it's rewards.
Carole
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 3:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still on the steep learning curve, especially when it comes to the socializing thing. Last night we went to some friends' for dinner. There was not one thing there that was safe for me to eat (I was asked to bring only dessert). So I just gave up and ate what was served. Today I am suffering from a migraine -- my first in several months. My kids have been crazed and aggressive, and finally collapsed into afternoon naps (they don't usually nap anymore). We had all been doing so well lately -- I thought I could just relax about it for a day. But boy are we all paying the price! Eating well while in the presence of friends is definitely the hardest part for me.
Laurie M
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 7:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that if you educate your friends in what you can eat most are willing to try to cook something for you. Or volunteer to bring a dish or two that can sustain you while adding to the overall meal. At potlucks I just make sure that I bring a main dish and a dessert. Desserts are hard to say no to so if you bring one that you can eat it helps the willpower. I tend to have people over more instead of going out. Everyone loves food cooked from scratch and you still get to enjoy the company. If you have to eat at a friends ask them to go over the meal with you ahead of time. It is not that hard to cook our way it is just a matter of using the right ingredients. I even give people some of my flour and bread crumbs. It saves embarassment for everyone.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 8:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry amh didnt see your post. Since it is three hours difference.

Yes it is hard socially since I became a vegetarian in October. The only people who were willing to support me were my family and one friend. I wasnt offered any parties before a vegetarian cause I had fibromygia and wasnt capable of going to parties,except for two. I went to two gatherings since October and my one friend and I make each other salads and fruit shakes. My family and one friend know alittle cause that is all I knew to tell them at the time. I know more but exhausted that I have to go through another routine. It is like alot of things so that is why I need the strength. It is like fibromygia, joint pain, headaches, constipation, lung and sinus congestion vs. society!!!

How do you expect people to remember everything one is allergic to? Does this really change? I am so overwhelmed by this, I am wondering if I am going thru some spiritual changes too.

How does one make there own party?
Carole
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laurie M --- Thanks for the advice on bringing a main dish and a dessert. I might add appetizer to that list since it's the munchies at the beginning of a gathering that can tempt me, and they often have the very worst ingredients. I'm just going to start showing up with lots of food!

My kids seem to have recovered from last night's poisoning, but my headache still rages on....
Carole
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laurie M --- another thought ..... about educating my friends. I still seem to feel shy or embarassed about talking much about this MSG stuff. I am beginning to feel more free in talking about it. I guess that's all part of the learning curve.
Laurie M
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 8:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is definitely part of the curve. Until I realized how important it was to my health I would shy away from telling people.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I either invite people over or bring a lot of food with me. This past weekend, we got together with friends, one that avoids MSG and one that doesn't care. I just brought my own food along and cooked for the group. Figured it was easier to do that to spend money on a restaurant whose food would give me digestive stress. Everyone loved the food, even though cooking isn't my strong suit. It worked out fine.

But still it's hard. One of my friends once told me, "You're no fun now that you don't drink Coke anymore." She was kidding but that was tough. I didn't succumb to the temptation of having a Coke, even though it sure looked good. I stuck to my water.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page