Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Introduction

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Share Your Symptoms » Introduction « Previous Next »

shirley
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, My name is Shirley. I had trouble with msg since I was a child. I just got over fibromygia but still have some fatique sometimes.

I am a vegetarian and I am experimenting which foods are good for me.

Is butter ok?
Is bread ok?
amh
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 7:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Shirley,

I thought for a long time that bread was "safe"
When I eliminate bread from my daily diet I feel
much better in about three days. Less stiffness
in the joints. Also less migraines. BUT, I do love bread. Lately I have been thinking about
getting organic flour and baking my own bread.

Some where I read that some butters have a little MSG or Annato for coloring. You might come across butter that is like this in restaurants. I buy regular butter from the A & P (house brand) and have had no problems. In restaurants I have had problems.

I wish you well you will find the right way to eat if you keep trying.
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 8:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is in the bread that is bad, the yeast? I know the conditioners are bad. I tend to have too much. Last night I had chocolate and it had lecithin in it and I had joint pain. I also had bread and soy margarine from the hfs and noticed joint pain today.

Is there any bread I can have?
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 11:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Butter is natural, soy margarine is not. Find a butter that has cream and salt on the label, nothing else. White flours have barley malt or malted barley in them. This is part MSG. Some people have problems with gluten and yeast. Also, wheat is a very common allergy food.
T.C.
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 5:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shirley, I don't want to sound pushy, by if I were you, I would get Debby A.s book. It is THE book to answer the questions you have been asking, not to mention the great recipes. I am a single dad and get my daughter on weekends. She is MSG sensitive too, and she loves the things I cook for her now. It used to be pizza and fast food, but not anymore. If I can learn to cook, anyone can!
shirley
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 6:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks T.C.! I ordered Debby A. book a few days ago. I am suprised that white flour has msg, barley malt. I am cleaning my pantry and have two bags of white flour that is unbleached. I want to know if the barley malt is only in the bleached white flour or both?
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 8:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's usually in both, but there are some white flours that do not contain malted barley flour...Pioneer and White Dove are two. I use Montana Gold hard white Wheat flour, also. It's whole wheat, but lighter and makes good baked goods and bread. I buy all at the Super Walmart.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 8:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I assume that all breads outdoors have barley malt even bagels, pumpernickel?
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most commercial breads are made with flour that contains barley malt. But here's another problem. When I called Gold Medal, I was told that they don't always add it, especially if the wheat flour is high in protein in that batch and for some other reason I forgot. But since all the bags are made up in huge lots, they don't change the label one way or another. But I know how much better I feel when I use whole wheat flour vs. white. It has natural B complex vitamins, the bran, and more complex carbohydrates...much more nutritious. Since I have discovered the hard white whole wheat flours, I don't even miss white flour. I do use the ones I mentioned without barley flour, for special occasion cakes. You might consider getting a bread maker, shirley. They are great. Just be sure to use plain yeast and not the ones with added dough conditioners and other ingredients. Keep looking, though, and you may find a commercial bread that does not bother you, depending on the amount of glutamate-containing ingredients present.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's that Instant No-Cook Catsup recipe T.C. referred to:
Blend in bowl:
1 - 28 oz. can Glen Muir tomato puree (or any organic brand that does not contain citric acid)
2/3 c. of sugar ( or any sweetener--I have used some stevia and reduced the sugar in some batches)
1/3 c. plus 1 t. organic apple cider vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon juice.

1/2 t. dry mustard
dash of cayenne
scant 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. dry onion granules
2 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper
1/8 t. cloves (powdered)
dash garlic powder
You can adjust the amount of spices to your taste or try different ones like nutmeg, allspice, or celery seeds. I double this and freeze in 1/2 pint containers. It lasts well in the fridge.
It makes a good barbecue sauce...add more lemon juice and cayenne and any other seasonings...plus a little honey and more mustard and garlic. Dilute with water if too thick.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 9:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do have hard white flour, unbleached. I also have the bread machine. Yeast has ascorbic acid in it, is that ok? I use the other yeast from the hfs so I will use that until I find out about the ascorbic acid.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 12:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the flour contain malted barley flour? It will say on the bag. The ascorbic acid is vitamin C used as a preservative. It should be okay. I use Fleischman's or Red Star...ones that say just "yeast" on the side.
shirley
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 12:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No barley malt in the flour.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page