Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Additives

Battling the MSG Myth » Archive » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities » Additives « Previous Next »

MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 8:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the best site I have seen on additives. It is chock full of info!
http://allergies.about.com/msubadditives.htm?once=true&
Donít miss the 2nd page at http://allergies.about.com/cs/additives/index_2.htm
The 2nd page will link you to other sites on additives.
Evelyn H.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 10:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow--great site. Thanks for the information.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 5:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am still reading it but I wanted to share this site on food intolerances and allergies: http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/index.html
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 6:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

Talk about destroying a "good thing"!!

We used to order Pork Chops from Market day where the ingredients used to say Pork, water & salt -- no more!! The last box listed the following ingredients:

CENTER CUT BONELESS
Pork Loin Chops

NO REGRETS®
CONTAINING UP TO TWELVE PERCENT OF A SOLUTION OF WATER, SALT, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, SUGAR, AUTOLYZKD YEAST, TORULA YEAST, DEHYDRATED PORK STOCK, MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL FLAVORINGS, SOY SAUCE (FERMENTED WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT), LACTIC ACID.

(INSPECTED AND PASSED BY DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE)
Exclusively From Iowa Quality Meats
CLIVE, IA 50325
SPECIALIZED MEAT PRODUCTS from AMERICAíS HEARTLAND
I am amazed that their trademark is "No Regrets" -- tells you what they think about poisoning us.

Also note that they say they are from America's Heartland. I think that means that they have figured out how to stop all our hearts with their additives.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 9:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about that, Tom. It's a disgrace that they can still call the product pork. Have you thought of complaining to the Dept. of AG and the FDA? I have spoken with a butcher at one of our grocery stores where all the pork is Hormel and treated with lactic acid and sodium tripolyphosphate. He hates the stuff...says his hands get sores even if he uses gloves....and burn when he doesn't, just handling the meat and cutting it up.
Maybe those of us who are MSG and chemically sensitive will have to buy up some land somewhere and start our own food co-ops! :(
Gerry Bush
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can get everyone pork and pork products that are msg and chemical free! We have a local pig farm 15 miles from my home. They understand msg and all of its forms as the owner is chemically sensitive! Unfortunately I am not allowed pork for the time being, but I do know where to buy it if anyone is interested.

Remember, I was the first one on this board to report the poisoning of our pork and poultry products back in November of 1999 when they introduced it in AZ supermarkets! I would be happy to speak on this at our conference as I have had a lot of communication with Hormel, Dormel and assorted so called MSg free luncheon meat suppliers and also the local area supermarket chains, etc.
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 6:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Gerry. I'd love to hear about your talks with the pork-folks.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Gerry, Please fill us all in! I can't wait to meet you guys! I'll be the one with the darkest circles under my eyes. Gerry, I am still struggling to get the right amount of thyroid medication. Too much and I can't sleep, too little and I gain weight and get sluggish. I am now trying pure swine thyroid that has a little cane sugar in the capsule, which I open to use. It is much more effective than Synthroid, but learning how much to use has been hard. Too much, and I get joint pain and thirst, too. I may just decide to go off all of the thyroid meds completely after the meeting and see if I really need it at all. I am beginning to think that MSG has caused my natural hormones to fluctuate and that as long as I am more careful, I may need less than originally thought. My tests vary so much, that it's questionable. I'll be taking a certain amount for 6 months or more and then the doctor will say my tests show I am way overdosing...I'll cut back and I'll still be overdosing and so cut way back and then be tested and it's too low. Leads me to suspect this is a condition closely related to MSG.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 6:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,
Be very careful of going off thyroid medicine. I have read that your body could slow down so much that you could go into a coma! It sounds like your doctor is willing to work with you, and that's good. Mine won't even discuss anything but synthyroid. Are you sure you have the very best endocrinologist available in your area? I found names of doctors and excellent patient's comments about them on a thyroid website. I'll see if I can find it again.
Ruth
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

www.thyroid.about.com Look for doctors on the left, under subjects. Then top docs. There aren't as many listed in my area as there were a year ago. Not sure why that's so.
Carol H
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 10:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb please be careful. A friend of mine had to go off her thyroid meds for two weeks because her doctor wanted to retest her for cancer. The doctor screwed up the scheduling of her test and a day or two before the test asked her to stay off her meds another week. Needless to say her body started to shut down, and the doctor had to admit he had made a mistake and put her back on her meds. She almost died. She now sees a different doctor, thank God. Thyroid meds are so critical. Please be careful. We care about you so much. Could the fluctuation be due to relative amounts of the various types of hormone in the med?
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 3:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love you guys! Thanks so much for your concern, and I promise, I will be very careful. I think that you have a good point about a possible fluctuation in the amount of hormone present in the medication. That can happen with natural thyroid, but as the media says, it can happen and has happened with Synthroid, too. I won't go completely off it. I know at 90 mg., my blood test showed I was getting way too much of the hormone. I was getting such pain in my hip, nervousness, and cravings for carbs. So now we are down to 75 mg. I am doing better, but can tell it may be too much. The lowest I would try is 50 to 60 mg. and see how I do. Thanks guys. You are like guardian angels!!!! :)
John Brodar
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry and Deb A.

Gerry, I live In Mesa, AZ and am very interested in knowing where you can get pork products from the chemically sensible farmer! jmbrodar@srpnet.com

Deb A. I FIRMLY believe from my own experiences that something about MSG or MSG sensitivity plays havoc with the thyroid tests.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto Disease and Graves Disease at the same time and in the same breadth by the endocrinologist. One is Hypo thyroid the other is hyper thyroid.

I did my own research and decided that their knowledge is very limited. When I found your and NOSoy sites my life improved .... with no thyroid medications.

Now, I recognize that most MSG people complain about inactive thyroid if thyroid is part of their problem. For me the scary part was hyperthyroid symptoms ...especially rapid pulse BUT I have nailed that down to MSG ....remember my little soup story?

I would encourage you to work with your doctor to adjust thyroid medication according to how you feel physically, not what the tests indicate how you are doing. Sorry to have to say it, but it is like first learning about MSG, except you are now one of the leaders on overcoming chemical induced problems in the world. You KNOW how to Listen to YOUR BODY, do what is right for you.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 2:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much John. I will definitely take the advice I have been giving to so many...listen to my body carefully and go from there...and one day at a time, one step at a time. This excitotoxin had been poisoning me for so long before I learned about it, and the endocrine damage that has probably been done is frightening. The thyroid gland is controlled by the hypothalamus, along with so many vital glands and functions...I know it is all related. Dr. Blaylock says that the hypothalamus in all animals tested was injured in some way by MSG ingestion.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have sent John a special email, but incase there are any other Phoenix area residents, here is the info John requested.

You can get safe and very fresh pork at "The Pork Shop" in Queen Creek. Give them a call and they will give you directions. They are only open Wednesday through Saturday as the other days they are slaughtering.

Some of their products do contain products with hidden msg and phosphates, but they are only the processed stuff like some special sausages and dried products. When you go there just tell them your problem and they will tell you exactly what is in each product and what is safe for you. I love the place, because they really do care.

Hope you enjoy the trip as it is well worth the drive. Try the pork tenderloin, it is lucious
LL
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 9:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was diagnosed with low thyroid 2 years ago and have been on synthroid ever since. I started on 50 mcg and seemed to be doing fine until my new doctor wanted to increase me to 75 saying that my levels were still low. After 2 months, I started having trouble sleeping, then started getting restless leg syndrome in the early evenings and during the night. It got so bad I started to cut back gradually on my synthroid to see if it improved, and it did after about a month, so my dosage was decreased back to 50 (Although the thryoid doctor said he never heard of any connection between RLS and thyroid problems, he said RLS is caused by a sleep disorder...) I have been fine for 7 months. Then the RLS and sleeping problems started again. I was on vacation when it started to get really bad, so I skipped 4 spaced out doses in 3 weeks before I was able to get back to my doctor. My levels were very low and she has now put me on a combination of 50 and 75, taken every other day. I am afraid that the RLS is going to get worse. I did find a great website about RLS (wemove.org) and have started taking 18 mg iron daily, hoping that may help. I am wondering if there is a connection between thyroid medication, specifically synthroid, and RLS. OF course all the "experts" say no, but has there ever been a study done? And now I am learning there is apparently a connection between MSG and thyroid disorders??? Can you tell me where I can find more info about this connection?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 10:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LL,

The link below says that thyroid medications, including synthroid, cause calcium loss, and that calcium deficiency brings about restless leg syndrome:

http://www.healthwwweb.com/diet/calcium.html
LL
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 11:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, that is a great site! Some of the other symptoms I have that I didn't mention are listed there as well. I know I need to add more calcium to my diet, I just haven't been doing it on a regular basis yet. Are Tums and/or milk safe to take in regards to MSG, etc?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page